• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    I think the obvious ones would be things like Lost, 24 etc. but my other nominations would be Doctor Who and Robin Hood (the new ones), The Apprentice and Prehistoric Park.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Walking with Beasts (Bartlett)

Miniseries:
    Angels in America (Newman)
    Salem's Lot (Gordon & Gerrard)
    Ont The Beach (Gordon)
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorLéon
    Jeff Beal's Carnivàle is magnificent.

Star Trek Enterprise was a great imrpovement over the previous series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The X Files. Synthy, ok, bot overall Snow created the perfect mood for the show, with nice tunes / themes and, as usually happens with TV shows, improving season after season. The last theme of the last episode is still shocking today with its sense of hope and sadness at the same time.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Star Trek TOS had some of the greatest scores ever written for TV by the likes of Sol Kaplan, Gerard Fried etc.

And let's not forget the incredible wealth to be found in TOS of The Twilight Zone which had scores by a little known composer called Jerry Goldsmith wink

Also loved Domonic Frontiere's scores for 60's Alien invasion series The Invaders cool

Loads more I could mention but I'm looking forward to hearing more from others here?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Did somebody say "TV scores"? Why, this sounds like a job for ... JUSTIN BOGGAN!!!

swings into action

Okay, here you go, and in no particular order:

"Gunsmoke"
    The show, over it's 20 or so season run, had 50 or so different composer, some only scoring one episode.
    But people like Bruce Broughton, John Carl Parker ... did excellent jobs. I maintain a list with notes on which ones are good, after some of the scores:
    http://www.tvscoring.150m.com/Gunsmoke.html

"Star Trek: The Next Generation"
    How can you beat Lalo Scifrin protege Ron Jones' score to the two-parter "The Best of Both Worlds"[/b]? Jones consistantly provided what fans thought was the best work. Hard to believe after he was fired (or quit), he never returned and it's been three series over 10 years since he worked on Trek.
    Dennis McCarthy provided what I believe, cue-for-cue, to be the single best scored episode of any TV series I have seen, when he worked on the dramatic [i]"Yesterday's Enterprise"
    Even Don Davis, who I don't care for any of his other work (especially the overrated Matrix scores), did a heck of a job on "The Face of the Enemy".
    And let's not forget often overlooked composer Jay Chattaway's efforts (also providing some of Voyager's memorable scores).

"Magnum, pi"
    It goes without saying Mike Post & Pete Carpenter did some great work, but also don't overlook some good effort for the first few episodes, by composer Ian Freebairn-Smith (who, last time I checked, hosts a radio show now).
    Even John Cacavas scored an episode.

"CHiPs"
    Alan Silvestri does some of his funkiest, most fun scores ever. FSM passed over some good efforts from the first season by such composers as Post and John Carl Parker.

"Batman: The Animated Series"
    The show had, on the original 100 or so episode run, 24 different composers; some only scoring a little, and some (Harvey Cohen [R.I.P.], Carlos Rodriguez) doing more than just a couple.
    Shirley Walker provided some of her best work ever for any scoring.

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
    When Christophe Beck came in in season two, he his work for that and other seasons, eventually won him an Emmy; and deservedly so. His work on the series isn't quite like his film work. His BTVS work is more theme oriented, more orchestra based (though he does love interesting blends on electronics), piano, and so forth, creating some lovely stuff. Try some:
    http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussion. … ge%20Board
    Thomas Wanker did some excellent work too (sadly unreleased; not even a promo. Damn FOX).
    And Robert Duncan, who scored all episodes -- sans one or two -- of the last season, did a nifty job too. I defy you to listen to "choosen (longer version)" and tell me that isn't one of the best things on TV you've ever heard:
    http://www.duncanmusic.com/buffy.html

That's it for now, as I got other things to do.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    The Buffy scores would sound magnificent if performed by a live orchestra. I wish the show's budget had allowed for that.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Rosenthal's and McNeely's The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles pretty much shifted the paradigm in tv scoring on a continental drift scale.

No TV series score has ever come close to my mind (though I'm excluding mini series here) with such a consistently intelligent, noticeable and powerfully symphonic approach (though I certainly think Murray Gold struck gold with his Doctor Who scores).

And I have to agree with Bregt on Bartlett's Walking With Beasts which is far more approachable than the -also very powerful- Walking With Dinosaurs.

I've never been impressed by the Star Trek: Next Generation scores, which I thought were way too subdued and in the background. I only found out later that this was exactly McCarthy's brief from the producers: to not produce any music that was too noticeable.
    Well. Mission accomplished.
    More's the pity.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    While I'm not fond of lists, I'm glad to see Walking with Beasts and Angels in America mentioned here. I'll probably add Nostromo (Morricone) and Giovanni Paolo II (Frisina) to the mix.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Did the Young Indy Chronicles use any of Williams' themes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The Spielberg-produced Taken has a rather subdued but high-quality score that perfectly reflects the melancholy nature of the miniseries.

Mark Snow has done an increasingly good job on Smallville...the last 2 seasons had enough great moments to warrant a score release.

And of course....Lost....
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    TV music is a BIIIG category. Are we talking TV series here? Or TV films? Or TV documentaries? Or commercials? Or news broadcasts and jingles? Or all of this, i.e. ANYTHING produced for the small screen?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Of the current batch of TV I'd say that my favourite is Murray Gold's Doctor Who scores. I'm sure that if I had watched shows like Lost or Battlestar Galactica then these scores may rate more highly with me.

And Star Trek TOS is difficult to beat.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I tend to find TV movies/miniseries more satisfying than TV shows... I think ON THE BEACH (Gordon), MOBY DICK (Gordon), QB VII (Goldsmith), SALEM'S LOT (Gordon), NOSTROMO (Morricone), MOSES THE LAWGIVER (Morricone), KAROL UN DIVENTATO PAPA (Morricone), EAST OF EDEN (Holdridge), JESUS OF NAZARETH (Jarre), MERLIN (Jones), DINOTOPIA (Jones), MISTS OF AVALON (Holdridge), and IL CUORE NEL POZZO (Morricone) are some of the best I've heard.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    Thor wrote
    TV music is a BIIIG category. Are we talking TV series here? Or TV films? Or TV documentaries? Or commercials? Or news broadcasts and jingles? Or all of this, i.e. ANYTHING produced for the small screen?

Extremely good point? Where's the goal posts on this thread Anthony or does it include everything Thor's mentioned here?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTrekkinD
    I'd like to second Justin's comments on CHiPs. I won't admit at how often I play Silvestri's Disco grooves. Great driving music! Hopefully someday, FSM will release more CHiPs scores.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E: If you like 60's spy music, the FSM series (7 discs!) has a great variety of it. The first season tended to be more serious suspense spy music with scores by likes of Morton Stevens, Walter Scharf, and some unknown named Jerry Goldsmith. The later scores are more fun and jazzy and sometimes zany. Other composers on the series included Lalo Schifrin, Robert Drasnin and Gerald Fried, whose scores are my favorites from the series. There are many catchy melodies. I like the variety of the music and the variance in styles.

Knight Rider: I really dig this theme and there are a lot of good 80's style action cues on the soundtrack. You also get plenty of that keyboard ditty, especially for the many scenes of Michael Knight driving K.I.T.T. Again, good driving music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Scribe wrote
    The Spielberg-produced Taken has a rather subdued but high-quality score that perfectly reflects the melancholy nature of the miniseries.

Right!

I forgot this one. Excellent main title!!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Stargate Atlantis - Joel Goldsmith
  4. This is more a theme tune rather than a score.

For a commercial channel documentary from my childhood...World In Action. This is one of these theme tunes that I'd tune in to listen to (Sunday lunchtimes?) hoping that they'd have a long list of credits at the end so that they'd play as much as possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_4iyJZp … re=related

Great to hear it again after so many years. Tim, you remember this one?

And on a slightly related subject, does anyone have Mountain's track "Nantucket Sleighride" - contains another great theme - this time for a programme called Weekend World.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008 edited
    Crikey...a rather paler shade of white! slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote

At the risk of showing my ignorance...is it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

I think Martijn's referring to Procul Harem's track A Whiter Shade Of Pale....not sure why because at least the World In Action theme is more original!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    This is more a theme tune rather than a score.

For a commercial channel documentary from my childhood...World In Action. This is one of these theme tunes that I'd tune in to listen to (Sunday lunchtimes?) hoping that they'd have a long list of credits at the end so that they'd play as much as possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_4iyJZp … re=related

Great to hear it again after so many years. Tim, you remember this one?

And on a slightly related subject, does anyone have Mountain's track "Nantucket Sleighride" - contains another great theme - this time for a programme called Weekend World.

Of course I remember that Alan cool

What was the similar program that used an arrangement of a track from Francis Lai's A Man And A Woman?...Man Alive? Fantastic piece of music too!

p.s. Do you remember what Nantucket Sleighride referred to from the old True / False thread at Scorereviews?
  6. "Aujourd'Hui C'Est Toi" from Lai's A Man and a Woman was from Panorama.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/p … 154748.stm

Man Alive's theme tune was a Tony Hatch creation.

Tim, I can't remember what "Nantucket Sleighride" referred to. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    "Aujourd'Hui C'Est Toi" from Lai's A Man and a Woman was from Panorama.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/p … 154748.stm

Man Alive's theme tune was a Tony Hatch creation.

Tim, I can't remember what "Nantucket Sleighride" referred to. shame

Thanks for that info Alan cool

Nantucket Sleighride was to do with 19th Century whalers, after harpooning a sperm whale would get pulled at high speeds through the water.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    24 wouldn't be an obvious choice in a thread that has "best tv scores" as a subject. Neither would be the other crap that is Prison Break.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Somewhere in Season 5, the music for 24 started to pick up a bit. I still wouldn't risk listening to it on CD however. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't do it mate; i did (same for PRISON BREAK) and was left with traumatic experience after-effects. Seriously. Especially Prison Break, not that 24 is significantly better though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

I think Martijn's referring to Procul Harem's track A Whiter Shade Of Pale....not sure why because at least the World In Action theme is more original!

Tim got it. cool
    More original? Hmmmm... well, whatever way you look at it, there's a serious Procul Harum vibe going on in that theme.
  8. These days, it´s easily Murray Gold´s scores for Doctor Who, and Bear McCreary´s scores for Battlestar Galactica. I really much loved Christopher Franke´s scores for Babylon 5 and Clannad´s songs for the eighties´ Robin of Sherwood. I agree though that the score for the BBC´s newest Robin Hood series is a very charming one that no fan of swashbuckling scores should miss.