• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    I'm not sure he ever did a "light film" that well.

Home Alone begs to differ!
  2. Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I'm very surprised to see that 12 YEARS A SLAVE isn't in the nominations. "worthy" films near as always get an Oscar nom for score regardless of the music quality.

As for the song noms I vote Pharrell Williams for the win. Brilliant and catchy song. Love it!!

Tim, what did you think of the 12 years a slave score? There's a score only promo circulating around too which is basically variations (or rather repetitions) on the Solomon track and a brilliant piece of sound design / Aleatoric music that surprised me greatly, if actually composed by Zimmer.

Do you mean Boat Trip to New Orleans? I think it's Zimmer's own doing.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014
    I meant light in a different sense (though admittedly you'd have to have been inside my head to realise that). That one still called for heavy music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I'm very surprised to see that 12 YEARS A SLAVE isn't in the nominations. "worthy" films near as always get an Oscar nom for score regardless of the music quality.

As for the song noms I vote Pharrell Williams for the win. Brilliant and catchy song. Love it!!

Tim, what did you think of the 12 years a slave score? There's a score only promo circulating around too which is basically variations (or rather repetitions) on the Solomon track and a brilliant piece of sound design / Aleatoric music that surprised me greatly, if actually composed by Zimmer.

Do you mean Boat Trip to New Orleans? I think it's Zimmer's own doing.

I don't have the track titles, it's the one cue with the dissonant parts and loud banging - horn of doom like sounds. Loved it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Yeah. Did you know that it was achieved with 4 bassoons?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, thanks for the info! It's great, much greater than the older horn of doom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm going to punch some one if this nonsense concerning Williams continues.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm going to punch some one if this nonsense concerning Williams continues.

-Erik-

See?

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    WHY ARE WE WHISPERING?

That's why we were whispering biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I can hear you! Shut the fuck up!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Demetris wrote
    No, thanks for the info! It's great, much greater than the older horn of doom smile

Have you seen the film? It works brilliantly in the scene. It's actually a steamboat, so the music "replaces" an absent foghorn quite literally (the horn of doom was sometimes called a foghorn by fanboys). I think there is a Jonny Greenwood quality to it, by the use of the bassoon and actually quite tribal percussion. I love how the cue presents the boat (never shown in an establishing shot!) as a monster from hell. Brilliant use of cinematography (long lenses) and music for a hell-like atmosphere, foreshadowing the tragedy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Over rated sound design nonsense!

wink

-Erik-
  5. Steven wrote
    I rather like Newman's score. I may be its only fan around here.*

*Shameless, shameless fishing

*Takes bait eagerly*

SAVING MR. BANKS is easily one of my favorite scores of the year. Newman in "pretty" mode is one of my favorite things about film music. I like it better than GRAVITY, easily, though I admit that the score for GRAVITY probably had a bigger impact on the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Of the group for 2013 my vote has to go to John Williams although Tom Newman might get it this year just because of all of the tries he has had. Time will tell.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  6. Southall wrote
    I thought Saving Mr Banks was a bit "ordinary" by his standards though (away from the film).

Where's your review for it? Is it 3 stars or 4?
  7. sdtom wrote
    Of the group for 2013 my vote has to go to John Williams although Tom Newman might get it this year just because of all of the tries he has had. Time will tell.
    Tom

If there's justice, he will get it. -_-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

If there was any "justice" he'd have taken it for Shawshank Redemption. If there was any justice the whole film should have taken a clutch of Oscars.

As for Saving Mr Banks I don't have an opinion as I've not heard it or seen the film and how it fits, I'd rather he didn't win just because he's "over due" but because his score was the most deserving.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

I haven't heard it yet D. I was pointing out that certain films ( particularly films with a social impact ) get a music Oscar nomination regardless of quality. I've heard that a lot of votes come from Academy members that haven't even heard the score they've voted for?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

If there was any "justice" he'd have taken it for Shawshank Redemption. If there was any justice the whole film should have taken a clutch of Oscars.

As for Saving Mr Banks I don't have an opinion as I've not heard it, I'd rather he didn't win just because he's "over due" but because his score was the most deserving.

It's the most deserving and he's overdue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    At the moment I can only take your word for it.
  9. And you're right. He should have won for Shawshank, among many others.
  10. I'd give it to HER or GRAVITY. But that's me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  11. The Adventures of Tin Tin were among the freshest things I heard these years and there was nothing americana about it.

Shore: I don't care what some self-proclaimed know-it-alls have to say about who was and was not "there". Such types may all have their own agendas anyway. Happens in every classroom. It's well known that Shore didn't do the orchestrations, neither did he conduct. He was busy with another project. I can't see how this has affected the quality of the music. But obviously this score tends to polarize the crowd.
    Still, spreadding rumors for which there are no substantial proof other then "some insider told me but I can't name my source" is not what I call good journalism. It sounds like people were out to harm Shore.
    This rumor, that Shore didn't really write the music is stone old. It wandered around already during the run of the original trilogy. No substantial proof has ever been offered.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

I haven't heard it yet D. I was pointing out that certain films ( particularly films with a social impact ) get a music Oscar nomination regardless of quality. I've heard that a lot of votes come from Academy members that haven't even heard the score they've voted for?

I'd not be surprised if this was true smile

Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

As for Saving Mr Banks I don't have an opinion as I've not heard it, I'd rather he didn't win just because he's "over due" but because his score was the most deserving.

It's the most deserving and he's overdue.

I think it's the one year we all agree that Newman is the one really deserving it? smile

Captain Future wrote
    The Adventures of Tin Tin were among the freshest things I heard these years and there was nothing americana about it.

Shore: I don't care what some self-proclaimed know-it-alls have to say about who was and was not "there". Such types may all have their own agendas anyway. Happens in every classroom. It's well known that Shore didn't do the orchestrations, neither did he conduct. He was busy with another project. I can't see how this has affected the quality of the music. But obviously this score tends to polarize the crowd.
    Still, spreadding rumors for which there are no substantial proof other then "some insider told me but I can't name my source" is not what I call good journalism. It sounds like people were out to harm Shore.
    This rumor, that Shore didn't really write the music is stone old. It wandered around already during the run of the original trilogy. No substantial proof has ever been offered.

Volker

Interesting, i missed the rumors about the LOTR trilogy or HOBBIT. To me those 4 scores sound very consistent and on similar paths. What i know is the big extend this happened in Smaug which is the only really different and sparser score out of the bunch so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    It's well known that Shore didn't do the orchestrations, neither did he conduct. He was busy with another project.

The first sentence is certainly true but I'm curious what the other project is, if you know?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Given how transparent and open the credits surrounding the music for all Tolkien-related films have been to this point (segments of Fellowship composed by Enya, parts of Journey composed by those Plan 9 dudes etc.) I have not a single doubt that if any other music were not written by Shore it would've been rightly credited.

As, erm, mr. Future said, these spread rumors about who-not-composing-what are annoying as fuck and spread by bored internet addicts out to bring a project down because they don't like it and feel like just stating their opinions isn't enough to show their unsatisfaction with the whole score. It's this gossip (especially surrounding Zimmer) that diminishes my interest in reading film score boards and sits in the way of REALLY discussing the music as it also often plagues reviews as well.
  12. Demetris:

Now I am distributing rumors myslef, am I? shame

I remember it was suggested that some Zimmer founded English enterprise had a hand in the scores based on what the credits said. I have never investigated that any further.

Southall:

It was said to be some upcoming project by Martin Scorsese. But now I don't seem to find any such production attached to Shore now. Curious ...

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't think it really matters who writes what. Ghostwriting in film music has been around as long as film music. The music can be appreciated for what it is.
  13. Tell that to Christian Clemmensen.
  14. PawelStroinski wrote
    Tell that to Christian Clemmensen.

applause

The man's an excellent reviewer but his levelheadedness flies out the window when Zimmer is involved. I'd honestly say that even his reviews of other RC scores, though often just as harsh, seem to approach things more fairly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Captain Future wrote
    It was said to be some upcoming project by Martin Scorsese. But now I don't seem to find any such production attached to Shore now. Curious ...

It just goes on to show they were just rumours and only gossip. For a while, people were 'expecting' a Howard Shore score for The Wolf of Wall Street since that was simply the next project regular collaborator Scorsese was making - even though the film was never meant to have a score and Shore wasn't attached, it was easy to name that film.