• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. PawelStroinski wrote
    Tell that to Christian Clemmensen.

Still on Newman, talk about a reviewer who simply doesn't get him. -_-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote
    I thought Saving Mr Banks was a bit "ordinary" by his standards though (away from the film).

Where's your review for it? Is it 3 stars or 4?

Oh, 4. Ordinary Newman is not ordinary by most standards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tell that to Christian Clemmensen.

applause

The man's an excellent reviewer but his levelheadedness flies out the window when Zimmer is involved. I'd honestly say that even his reviews of other RC scores, though often just as harsh, seem to approach things more fairly.

I love how his hate for Man of Steel didn't make him be objective enough to notice an error in his own review, where he merged a steel guitar orchestra and 12 drum sets into a steel drum orchestra. Now we all know how happy we would be to hear our beloved Superman getting a theme sounding like Horner's score to Commando, wouldn't we? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is it true that HER is very RIchter-esque? Haven't heard it yet, but this is what some friends who've seen the movie reported.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. As if I had any idea about Max Richter's music ... shame

Surely the HER sounds something like Steiner's SHE ... no?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014
    "Finding Nemo" not getting the Oscar was my major disappointment for Tom Newman.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  4. Demetris wrote
    Is it true that HER is very RIchter-esque? Haven't heard it yet, but this is what some friends who've seen the movie reported.

Not really. No more than any other soft-classical/ambient score would be. (Ie. it's in the same ballpark of texture, but I didn't listen to it and go -- 'Oh, that's just what richter would have done...'.) Satie + Eno + Martinez seemed about right to me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014
    If you're curious about the score (and I certainly am), the following trailer/featurette contains images of the film and production accompanied in the audio with a dialogue between Phoenix and Johannson and Arcade Fire's original score.

http://youtu.be/xakaZwsUMio

It seems to support Jonze's/Arcade Fire's claim that they wanted the score to be completely organic - no synthesizers, just piano, strings, guitar etc. Sounds very promising to me.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014 edited
    Broughton's song nomination has been awkwardly 'cancelled' by the academy:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/01/29/o … -breaking/

I wonder why they couldn't sort it out by making a private call to the composer, and trusting in the professionality of their members in the voting process? If Broughton has an advantage due to his position in the industry, a handful of emails wouldn't change that, or would it? It would seem this decision is an acknowledgement of how the power of marketing has significant influence on the members, who can't think for themselves apparently.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014 edited
    Signed, but the song isn't good; it's just true that the Academy is once again being ridiculous, blind-sided and double-standard-ed for yet another time.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014
  5. Thomas Newman. 0-12. angry rolleyes sad
  6. I liked Gravity on CD from the start. Some days ago I experianced the score for the first time in context and I thought it was very very good. That's not to say that Newman would not have deserved the trophy as well. But I am fine with Price taking the golden statuette home.

Volker
  7. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Thomas Newman. 0-12. angry rolleyes sad

As much as I think Newman deserves an Oscar, I don't think Saving Mr. Banks should have been the score to net him one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014
    Congratulations to Steven Price, a well deserved Oscar win for a score that did what it's supposed to do, fit the film perfectly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Thomas Newman. 0-12. angry rolleyes sad

Far more of a travesty is the numerous scores by ENNIO MORRICONE that didn't even get a nomination let alone a chance of winning. 12 nominations for Thomas Newman? I'd say that's quite an honour. Like Jerry Goldsmith who had to wait a very long time to finally win, Newman's time will come.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Congratulations to Steven Price, a well deserved Oscar win for a score that did what it's supposed to do, fit the film perfectly.

Urgh, I've still yet to watch the film. The premise just doesn't interest me, regardless of how technically impressive it might be. I want at least a couple of aliens and space battles in my sci-fi films...
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Gravity is a great special effects movie, it drew me in not with its dull and annoying characters or serviceable score, but pure on the merit of the 3D special effects spectacle. I consider it a super produced instructional video for astronauts, but as a movie a bit of a letdown given the work that went into it. I am at least glad Kate Blanchett won for Blue Jasmine as her performance was excellent there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Blue Jasmine was excellent indeed;

Gravity: meh.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gravity is one of those rare films that, for me, lived up to it's hype. I loved it.
  8. punk
  9. Much as I like Williams, Desplat and Newman, it's hard for me to argue with the score that won. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Same here. My ideal winner won, for once.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I think Gravity totally deserved it (which will come as no surprise). Price must have done a huge amount of work on this score. Telling a story and conveying real emotions through music (and all it's conventions) is one thing, but having to rely so heavily on non-standard-musical elements is something else altogether. It will have been a very difficult score to get right, but he's pulled it off. Don't know how, but he's done it. And as far thematic elements, yeah.. it's pretty obvious towards the ends, but actually, if you listen closely, the main theme is right there from track 1 onwards. Very clever score... or just fucking lucky, but either way I love it.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube