• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2015
    There's no non-pop related work by JunkieXL I have enjoyed so far, so forgive me if I'm not partcicularly elated by this news.

As always I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, but my prediction is it'll be themeless electronic soundscapes and Zimmer-esque percussion bits. Again.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Indeed. And people will defend it because it's not a traditional western, you know!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    There's no non-pop related work by JunkieXL I have enjoyed so far, so forgive me if I'm not partcicularly elated by this news.

As always I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, but my prediction is it'll be themeless electronic soundscapes and Zimmer-esque percussion bits. Again.

Black Mass begs to differ.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2015 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Indeed. And people will defend it because it's not a traditional western, you know!

I hope so.

It could very well be in the style of, say, MEEK'S CUTOFF -- which has a very sparse and effective score by Jeff Grace. Or it could be a 'punky' western that requires contemporary sounds and riffs. Or it could be something else altogether. Time will tell.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I kind of expected some of thesef reactions. I often hear people say that Holkenborg hasn't got a unique voice or something like that. Luckily, I hear more and more positive reactions as his career progressses (Mad Max, Black Mass), from both reviewers and film music fans.

Regardless of what anyone thinks, virtually every composer can be different. Brimstone is a really personal project for the director that will be like nothing else we have seen. It will not be a traditional western. Sometimes a genuinely unique film, such as Brimstone, is just the kind of thing that can bring out the best in a composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We'll see.
    Proof. Pudding. Eating. An'that.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Joep wrote
    I kind of expected some of thesef reactions. I often hear people say that Holkenborg hasn't got a unique voice or something like that. Luckily, I hear more and more positive reactions as his career progressses (Mad Max, Black Mass), from both reviewers and film music fans.

Regardless of what anyone thinks, virtually every composer can be different. Brimstone is a really personal project for the director that will be like nothing else we have seen. It will not be a traditional western. Sometimes a genuinely unique film, such as Brimstone, is just the kind of thing that can bring out the best in a composer.

I understand where you're coming from. Sometimes, surfing these film music messageboards (JWFAN and FSM more than this place, although it often happens here too), it often feels like a Rotary Club of reactionaries who lament how bad everything is these days, how much better everything was back in the day and how everything that is not symphonic and traditional is not worth their time.

I'm exaggerating and generalizing for effect, of course, but every time I see announcements like this -- an up-and-coming film composer with a strong connection to contemporary popular music (but who's shown he can do more traditional stuff too), doing a traditional genre like the western, I'm excited! It's like when Mychael Danna was announced for HULK (although he was ultimately rejected from that).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's got nothing whatsoever to do with a harkening back to the "Good Ole Days", but everything with expectation and experience. I find Junkie XLs film work generic, undistinctive and immemorable. And clearly I am not alone. Far from it.

If it had been announced Daft Punk would have been doing it, or Air, or Tangerine Dream/Christopher Franke, with a proven track record in diversification and clear attention to mood and detail (something I have been missing at Junkie XL completely), I *would* have been excited!

As I said, I just don't think Junkie XL is a very good film composer, regardless of whether I personally would prefer Morricone, Broughton, or Fade To Bluegrass.
  2. yeah . Thanks for that, Martijn. Couldn't have put it better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's good to know, at least (even if I disagree with you on JXL's merits as a film composer).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I can perfectly understand that his music is generally not considered very memorable and generic and... But at the same time I heard some who agree with that, but do love some of the action cues and the dramatic passages of a score such as Mad Max. Or who've noticed his symphonic writing for Black Mass. Has anyone heard his music to , say, Johan Primero? That's a wonderful Spanish-flavoured score for a small Dutch film.

I somehow feel that even if you don't like a composer, there could still be some hints of potentional quality, if even for small portions of several scores. Sometimes composers write music to e very special film and come up with surpriisingly good music.

Rachel Portman did something utterly amazing with Hart's War. I know she's more accepted, but it shows what a simple change of genre can establish. Or what about Atli örvarsson - Colette?

I'm not trying persuade anyone, but thought I might offer a different perspective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Indeed. OPEN MINDS FOR THE WIN!!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2016
    Back in December, composer Tom Holkenborg (aka Junkie XL) was at the Newman Scoring Stage at 20th Century Fox to record his music for the new box office smash, Deadpool. Courtesy of Costa Communcations, ScoringSessions.com is pleased to bring our readers a few photos from the scoring sessions!

http://scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2016
    Two fantastic pieces of Tom Holkenborg's score to Brimstone have aired on Dutch radio:
    http://www.radio4.nl/eengoedemorgenmet/ … -koolhoven

I'm not sure foreigners can listen to it, but first cue starts at 43:50 and the second at 137:50
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Presumably tries to make sure Junkie XL isn't hired...bad job, Joep, bad job! slant

wink

biggrin

I think we need to bring back flogging.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Joep wrote
    Two fantastic pieces of Tom Holkenborg's score to Brimstone have aired on Dutch radio:
    http://www.radio4.nl/eengoedemorgenmet/ … -koolhoven

I'm not sure foreigners can listen to it, but first cue starts at 43:50 and the second at 137:50

I can't get that to work (and I don't know where to click as I don't understand the language), but thanks for the tip. JXL's recent score DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS is absolutely marvelous, as I mentioned in the dedicated thread a few days ago.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2016 edited
    If you scroll a little bit downward where it says UITZENDING, there's a block with on the left a picture of Brimstone director Martin Koolhoven and within that block on the right a button with "Luister terug". That's the button you need. You then get the player at the top of the page. You can jump forward by clicking/tapping halfway the show (I listened to it on an iPad and it proved really difficult to pinpoint to a precise spot).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    JXL's recent score DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS is absolutely marvelous

Hang on, the universal translator appears to be malfunctioning. Let me just fix that...

There we go.

Thor wrote
    JXL's recent score DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS is fucking atrocious, avoid at all costs

Cool. Thanks for the heads up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    If you scroll a little bit downward where it says UITZENDING, there's a block with on the left a picture of Brimstone director Martin Koolhoven and within that block on the right a button with "Luister terug". That's the button you need. You then get the player at the top of the page. You can jump forward by clicking/tapping halfway the show (I listened to it on an iPad and it proved really difficult to pinpoint to a precise spot).

Thanks, Bob! Listening now...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Have you actually heard it Steven, or did you just feel like another blanket statement?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Heavens no. I fixed the universal translator! I trust your opinion. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    rolleyes

Anyways, it's now out on Spotify, so you can hear for yourself:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2cE5M8uDZLxKRUmn4TEXob
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wow, just listened to the BRIMSTONE tracks! How gobsmackingly beautiful! Sounds like a classical composition, and nothing at all like anything we've heard from Holkenborg before (perhaps alluded to in something like "Many Mothers" in FURY ROAD). Between this (new, classical territory) and DISTANCE (old territory, but using his electronica skills to maximum potential without any Zimmer influence), JXL continues to cement himself as one of the most exciting film music voices today.

Guys, before you launch a series of cheap shots, check these out!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thanks, but I don't need a lecture from a guy who said The Wrath of Khan was too busy and goes on and on about how one of the worst science fiction films in modern times, "A.I." is good, and whose likes on scores are so reliable you just go the opposite way and you know what to avoid and what to listen to.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. face-palm-mt

Also, AI is in no way, shape or form one of the worst science fiction films of anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No lecture needed, Justin. I know it's probably a controversial suggestion, but you have these things on the side of your head called ears -- you can use them to make your own judgement.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A.I. is like Prometheus: One of the most frustrating science fiction films of all time. Though I would put A.I. above Prometheus, as it gets more things right relative to that glorious debacle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    A.I. is like Prometheus: One of the most frustrating science fiction films of all time. Though I would put A.I. above Prometheus, as it gets more things right relative to that glorious debacle.

Apples and oranges; they're both great for different reasons. But A.I. is superior in most ways -- it's not only one of the best science fiction films of all time, it's also one of the very best films of the new millennium.

Remind me why we're having yet another go at this debate again?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Because it takes two to tango.
  6. Steven wrote
    Because it takes two to tango.

I much preferred the orange version of Tango to the abomination that was apple Tango.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn