• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Because it takes two to tango.

I much preferred the orange version of Tango to the abomination that was apple Tango.

All things considered I prefer my orange to be clockwork.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2016
    Thor wrote
    Wow, just listened to the BRIMSTONE tracks! How gobsmackingly beautiful! Sounds like a classical composition, and nothing at all like anything we've heard from Holkenborg before (perhaps alluded to in something like "Many Mothers" in FURY ROAD). Between this (new, classical territory) and DISTANCE (old territory, but using his electronica skills to maximum potential without any Zimmer influence), JXL continues to cement himself as one of the most exciting film music voices today.

Guys, before you launch a series of cheap shots, check these out!

Glad you liked it. Thus far, I have heard nothing but hugely positive comments of those who listened to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2016 edited
    Joep wrote

Glad you liked it. Thus far, I have heard nothing but hugely positive comments of those who listened to it.

Untill you came here, of course, where people were eager to launch criticism without even having heard a note of it! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2016
    I'm very curious to see how the whole score plays out, or how it works within the film. They are certainly lovely elegies for strings and violin (YES, PEOPLE WHO WON'T LISTEN TO IT, JUNKIE XL WROTE ELEGIES FOR VIOLIN AND STRINGS), but as I previously thought Tom layed on the drama too thick in Black Mass, as did Martin Koolhoven ask Pino Donaggio to crank up the emotions in Oorlogswinter, I'm kinda hoping this will be a bit more restraint when it needs to. Also, not too fond of any kind of use of electronics in period pieces like this (it's a bit of a different thing when the film is a huge blockbuster, but I prefer films like this to be as organic as possible). Anyhow, looking forward to the full score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2016
    BobdH wrote
    They are certainly lovely elegies for strings and violin (YES, PEOPLE WHO WON'T LISTEN TO IT, JUNKIE XL WROTE ELEGIES FOR VIOLIN AND STRINGS)

He, he....RIGHT ON!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016
    Milan records will release the score to Brimstone on cd and vinyl! The cd will be available for purchase on 13-01-2017 and vinyl some time later.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2017
    The digital release is launched today:

The tracklist:
    1. Brimstone (3:39)
    2. The Reverend (3:37)
    3. The Birth (1:39)
    4. She Belongs in Hell (3:33)
    5. I Am Here to Punish You (2:38)
    6. Revelation (6:45)
    7. Rules Are Rules (4:09)
    8. I’m a Father (1:45)
    9. I Will Kill Frank (1:19)
    10. Exodus (7:49)
    11. For the Love of God (5:22)
    12. Sanctus (2:01)
    13. Two Strangers (1:32)
    14. God Has Other Plans (2:22)
    15. Scold’s Bride (3:19)
    16. God Has Forgiven Me (3:21)
    17. Genesis (3:26)
    18. Abide (3:12)
    19. Fog (3:10)
    20. Ravening Wolves (3:22)
    21. Retribution (5:18)
    22. Watching Over Me (8:15)
    23. Liz (2:26)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hope it gets released on Spotify soon.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2017 edited
    Thor wrote
    Hope it gets released on Spotify soon.

Might be there by now? I checked this morning on Apple Music: nothing. Checked just now: bingo. (Hehe, as I type this, director Martin Koolhoven is retweeting my tweet about it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Found it -- listening now!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017 edited
    Just found the tracklist for the CD album of BRIMSTONE, which is indeed a bit shorter (it omits 5 tracks). Will try this playlist out soon:

1. Brimstone
    2. The Reverend
    3. The Birth
    4. She Belongs In Hell
    5. I Am Here To Punish You
    6. Revelation
    7. Rules Are Rules
    8. I’m A Father
    9. I Will Kill Frank
    10. Exodus
    11. For The Love Of God
    12. Sanctus
    13. God Has Other Plans
    14. Scold’s Bride
    15. Abide
    16. Fog
    17. Ravening Wolves
    18. Retribution

It's 65 minutes now, which is about 20 minutes shorter. Given Tom didn't *need* to be this drastic in eliminating tracks to fit the CD I'm hopeful this one has been compiled in light of optimizing the listening experience.

However, it DOES puzzle me that something like the penultimate track Watching Over Me, which introduces the piano (a welcome change of color and its only appearance in the score) didn't make the cut? Or the quite lovely conclusion Liz? Instead, it ends on a pretty grim note now with Retribution. While other, more disposable tracks (not really going anywhere, repetitions) are still in?
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017
    Watching Over Me is indeed a unfortunate loss on the cd.
  1. The fact that such a simple task as assembling the best cues from such an already bleak and ambient score can be so mishandled does not exactly make one want to go out of one's way to listen to it...after listening to the first thirty minutes or so of the digital album I found myself with no desire to keep going. And I usually like Holkenborg's stuff more than most people seem to...
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2017
    Difficult, but perhaps this works a little better for you...

3. I Am Here to Punish You (2:38)
    4. Revelation (6:45)
    5. Rules Are Rules (4:09)
    6. Exodus (7:49)
    7. God Has Other Plans (2:22)
    8. Fog (3:10)
    9. Ravening Wolves (3:22)
    10. Retribution (5:18)
    11. Watching Over Me (8:15)
    12. Liz (2:26)

Total time: 53 minutes
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2017
    The earlier mentioned cd release tracklist. isn't correct. Until this morning I had only played the digital version a lot of times, my two cd copies were still on a shelve, wrapped in plastic. Don't know how I could have missed that shame

3. She Belongs in Hell (3:33)
    4. Revelation (6:45)
    5. Rules Are Rules (4:09)
    6. I Will Kill Frank (1:19)
    7. Exodus (7:49)
    8. Two Strangers (1:32)
    9. God Has Other Plans (2:22)
    10. Scold’s Bride (3:19)
    11. God Has Forgiven Me (3:21)
    12. Genesis (3:26)
    13. Abide (3:12)
    14. Fog (3:10)
    15. Ravening Wolves (3:22)
    16. Retribution (5:18)
    17. Watching Over Me (8:15)
    18. Liz (2:26)
  2. Thor wrote
    Monkey shit and cow shit; they're both bad for different reasons.

Fixed it for you. You're welcome.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2017
    Oh sod off, Justin. For someone who doesn't like JXL -- and who hasn't even heard the scores we're discussing -- you sure come into this thread a lot!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2017
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Really enjoyed reading it, thanks: more than I enjoyed listening to the music, I guess, but it's always fascinating to read about the process.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Excellent article, Joep. You know how much I like the score, so this context is great.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2017
    Thanks. If any of you get a chance to the see the film, please let me know what you think of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2017
    Here is my review of Brimstone for those who are interested.

http://soundtrackworld.com/2017/02/brimstone/
  3. http://filmmusicreporter.com/2017/04/24 … -monsters/

Disappointing to the extreme. This should have been Douglas Pipes' chance to shine. Yet another disappointing decision, presumably forced by the studios (because why else would Dougherty abandon his collaborator?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2017
    Perhaps he thinks Junkie is the better... no, I can't even type it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2017
    As probably the only JXL fan in the room, I welcome any new assignment. I would like to see him tackle more 'low-key' projects (like the brilliant BRIMSTONE last year), but he often delivers for big stuff like this too. If it's anything near the level of MAD MAX, I'm a happy camper!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Well, now Dougherty has denied on Twitter that JXL is doing the music. So I guess Film Music Reporter fell afoul of the ol' fake news disease.

Hope springs eternal!
  5. My review of THE DARK TOWER, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2017/08/08/the- … olkenborg/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2017
    Jon Broxton wrote
    My review of THE DARK TOWER, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2017/08/08/the- … olkenborg/

Jon

Although we disagree rather vehemently about JXL's previous output, it's great to see that you at the very least liked this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2017
    Thor is the only one interested smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2017
    I was kinda meta-interested, in the sense that I was honestly curious what D. was doing popping up in this thread.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn