• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2017
    ehehe. remember my original topic title to which alan objected? I think I was spot on back then wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2018
    Review of Tomb Raider

http://www.movie-wave.net/tomb-raider/

I guess in fairness you don't need to click on the link to know what I've written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2018
    Just curious, have you heard his score of Brimstone? In my opinion, he is able to write film scores from time to time :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Caliburn wrote
    Just curious, have you heard his score of Brimstone? In my opinion, he is able to write film scores from time to time :-)

One of the best scores last year!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Caliburn wrote

Yes, I thought it was terrible.
  1. I love reading Southall's "NO STARS" reviews.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In that case you'll be pleased to know that I just acquired the latest score by Lorne Balfe.
  2. If you could find some way to make a video of it -- but I don't know how without tripping the copyright -- for Youtube, you'd have something like CinemaSins.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2018
    Southall wrote
    Caliburn wrote

Yes, I thought it was terrible.

Fair enough :D
  3. My review of TOMB RAIDER, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2018/03/21/tomb … olkenborg/

Jon
  4. Jon Broxton wrote
    the 50 or so other composers who never get a sniff of something like this but could write Holkenborg out of the water

50 is a conservative estimate, I'd say.

Good review. At some point you have to stop looking for the tiny kernels of not-completely-awful music scattered across Mr. XL's career and realize that the bigger picture is that every film he scores is a massive wasted opportunity for something better. Even those films that, by chance, are a good match for his narrow range - like Mad Max: Fury Road - would have been better-served by a score that has the exact same style and tone but was written by somebody with superior dramatic instincts. I just don't understand why he keeps getting hired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2018 edited
    JXL is brilliant in every shape and form; as I often say: One of the best film composers currently working, with an incredibly impressive range. But yes -- TOMB RAIDER was a rare miss.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    the 50 or so other composers who never get a sniff of something like this but could write Holkenborg out of the water

I just don't understand why he keeps getting hired.

Because he's brilliant in every shape and form, one of the best film composers currently working with an incredibly impressive range. Jeez.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2018
    That's true, actually. No irony required.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. He can do drums. And slow strings. And sound design. And sometimes all three in the same score, even, when he's really stretching himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He's had superb top 10 annual scores three times now -- probably more than most composers since I started doing these lists back in 2013, and vastly different in approach and sound, all of them. I'm wondering if there will be another this year. TOMB RAIDER is not it. Perhaps ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL will deliver.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2018
    It almost certainly will. Hard to put into words just how good this composer is.
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    He can do drums. And slow strings. And sound design. And sometimes all three in the same score, even, when he's really stretching himself.

Having heard some of the bizarrely amateurish percussion patterns in Tomb Raider, I'm beginning to question whether he can even do drums.
  7. I never said he could do them well. wink
  8. I have enjoyed hearing him talk about his work on his YouTube Channel though - seems like a nice guy, and I'm fascinated by sound design.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2018
    Dammit, I lost my whittled-down playlist of BRIMSTONE, as I just reacquired the score after the harddisk crash a few months ago. I guess I'll try out Joep's list on the last page. Joep -- did you account for a varied listening, or did you just pick out the highlight tracks?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    It's a compromise between the digital and cd release, making a bit of a more varied listening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cool. I'll give it a go.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2019
    For who is interested in my thoughts. I have reviewed ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL.

https://soundtrackworld.com/2019/03/ali … olkenborg/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2019
    Caliburn wrote
    For who is interested in my thoughts. I have reviewed ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL.

https://soundtrackworld.com/2019/03/ali … olkenborg/

I was expecting a slaughter (since it's so popular to bash Holkenborg these days), but refreshing to see that you were cautiously positive, Caliburn! Good man!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2019
    Thank you Thor.

I am not a fan of bashing. I only review bad scores if I have something to say about it, otherwise I review something that I like instead :-)
  9. Thor wrote
    (since it's so popular to bash Holkenborg these days)

Nobody bashes Holkenborg because it's popular. That must be a bit of projection since liking/disliking things because they're popular/unpopular is more your thing. Generally speaking people bash Holkenborg because they find his music lacking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2019
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    (since it's so popular to bash Holkenborg these days)

Nobody bashes Holkenborg because it's popular. That must be a bit of projection since liking/disliking things because they're popular/unpopular is more your thing. Generally speaking people bash Holkenborg because they find his music lacking.

What are you talking about? "Popular" in this context means that it's COMMON. Holkenborg bashing is common in most film music forums I frequent; positive remarks are more rare.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2019
    There's a reason for that: He's not a very good composer and yet he continues getting high-end gigs. Film music fans tend to notice that sort of thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2019 edited
    Steven wrote
    There's a reason for that: He's not a very good composer and yet he continues getting high-end gigs. Film music fans tend to notice that sort of thing.

That's not it at all. Most of this bashing comes from reactionary film score fans who have no clue about Holkenborg and where he comes from. These "criticisms" are so transparent, it's ridiculous.
    I am extremely serious.