• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014 edited
    HANNIBAL is a great tv show. Gripping atmosphere and terrific performances, very tight story-lines. Music is spot-on as well, works wonders in the show.

Who else is watching this?

The composer of the show is featured here: http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=12494 very interesting audiovisual treat overall for HANNIBAL. Great legacy continuation from Anthony Hopkins' masterful character.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014
    I watched the first season, but didn't like it very much. There was something about the 'flashy' MTV-style that became a bit grating eventually. Also, I think Mads Mikkelsen is miscast in the title role. Mumbling & incomprehensible most of the time.

That being said, I might watch the second season, if only because I like the Thomas Harris character so much.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I've been enjoying the end title music -- it seems to be a specifically composed cue for every episode -- of House of Cards series 2. Nice to hear Jeff Beal with a gravitas-inducing context to compose for again.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How about the show, Michael?

Thor:indeed, i have some trouble understanding everything that Mikkelsen speaks but i find his Hannibal portrayal fascinating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also has anyone seen this? THE AFTER

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-after/2 … lot-review
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Also has anyone seen this? THE AFTER

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-after/2 … lot-review

No, but I'm looking forward to it.

Btw, here's an FSM thread I did awhile back (and that I update continually) containing some of the best paranormal shows in the last 20 years that I've been trying to watch. Plus some non-paranormal ones at the end:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I just saw the pilot of THE AFTER, which is available for free online (legally).

It's pretty good, although some of the characters are annoying. I could see myself following this show if it was ever picked up by a network.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hannibal is a good, slick show. I'm glad they went the single-storyline route, as it had the potential to merge itself into the many other crime scene/police investigation shows, something like Bones (which is just awful, awful TV).

I actually agree with Thor's point about it being too flashy, or at least its incessant use of extreme low depth of field in the beginning few episodes. Thankfully, they dialled it back a bit and after a few episodes the show found its feet and turned out be surprisingly gripping (excuse the pun).

Although Mads Mikkelsen is excellent in this show, like Thor, I'm not quite sure he makes the best Hannibal. He's certainly got that creepy killer thing going for him, but he doesn't quite have the same balance of charming-yet-dangerous as Hopkins did. That said, I am definitely looking forward to seeing how Hannibal's and Will Graham's relationship evolves in season 2, given the way it ended.
  2. I'd love a CD release with highlights from Gunsmoke.

:non-existent-comwboy-emoticon:

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Demetris wrote
    How about the show, Michael?

It keeps me watching. As with a lot of plot heavy tv, even when it's clever I sometimes feel guilty afterwards. wink start with the first season if you're curious -- you'll either be hooked or not.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks, i will! Hannibal? Do you enjoy this too? (i am watching it, i haven't watched house of cards yet)

Also, all my friends are currently hooked on TRUE DETECTIVE...is this so good indeed?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've heard very good things about TRUE DETECTIVE but haven't seen it yet.

Matthew Maconaunauty ( gods but how do you spell his ruddy name crazy ) is not returning for a second series.*

*Obviously nothing to do with his recent Oscar win biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thanks, i will! Hannibal? Do you enjoy this too? (i am watching it, i haven't watched house of cards yet)

Also, all my friends are currently hooked on TRUE DETECTIVE...is this so good indeed?

Yeah, it's a good show, although it's quite slowmoving (and detective/crime series aren't really my cup of tea, unless there's something EXTRA beyond the investigation, like TWIN PEAKS).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have seen his 2013 movie MUD and was rather impressed on the way he came from the awful chick flicks and silly comedies he started with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, he's had quite a turnaround these last couple of years. MUD, DALLAS BUYERS CLUB, TRUE DETECTIVE, MAGIC MIKE, THE WOLF OF WALL STREET -- what a great run!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't forget Killer Joe , awesome movie!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah yeah, that too!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014
    I wonder, do you guys really want to watch a show about Hannibal on network tv? Are you kidding me?! I believe for a story about Hannibal, at this point, to be interesting and worth watching it must be done by a visionary director and the story not to be near the network soupy crap a lot of people watch...
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    uhm

You're either kidding, or woefully ignorant to the many great TV shows being produced these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    Hmmm ignorant? You go ahead and tell me which ones are those great network tv shows and we'll discover which is the real ignorant! Go ahead, make my day!...
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Robinson, please note that in Europe there's really no difference between network television and cable television. Everything is pretty much available anywhere: hence we can include absolutely magnificent shows like Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad or Game Of Thrones...which are absolutely magnificent.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah

We're living in a golden age of television, Robinson. Great TV shows like those Martijn mentioned have a greater opportunity to tell a larger story with far more character development than is possible with movies, so from a storytelling perspective there are certain advantages TV series have over movies.

Hannibal is off to a promising start, and I for one am glad that this reboot is in the form of a series rather than another mediocre film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    Those that Martijn mentioned are the very very few good ones in my opinion. And yes, my opinion was based on network tv vs cable shows. I was not aware of what Martijn said about how shows are put on tv in Europe either so thats a good point...
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    I dont think we are in a golden age of tv although I respect your opinion... Too much reality tv crap, lots of shows that dont even make it to the end of their first season.. If thats golden age lets leave it like that then...
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You don't have to respect my opinion, only my right to have one. wink

As with most things it's largely due to the fact that there's simply more TV shows out there to watch, so it's inevitable there will be more crap. There will always be crap in just about any medium, but that doesn't in anyway negate the great shows that have been and are currently being produced.

Even the Golden Age of cinema undoubtedly had bad films, but we don't remember those films. We remember the films that stood the test of time, and it's in that sense I think we are in a 'golden age' of TV. The quality of television being produced nowadays, regardless of the endless reality TV shows and other lowest common denominator shows of this ilk, is, I think, unprecedented.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014 edited
    You know what, I agree with BOTH points of view!
    Robinson is ABSOLUTELY correct that the amount of sheer, total, utter, dehumanising SHITE that is produced is worse and greater than ever in history. I am mortally embarassed for future generations or aliens visiting us and digging out tapes of Big Brother, So You Want To Be A Popstar/Dance Instructor/Prostitute, The Villa, Make-Over, The Kardasians or Hogan Knows Best.

But interestingly we seem to live in a time of extremes.
    As low as we can go, at the very same time we see zeniths of TV production! I mentioned some of these before, but also documentaries are being produced with INSANE regularity that blow anything before sheer out of the water! (like Cosmos or Frozen Planet).
    So it's as good as it is bad.
    And to me for each of the seventeen channels that have NOTHING to offer, a single episode of Shameless, Downton Abbey or The Thick Of It makes it all alright.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, what Steven said.

We don't have to go back further than the early 90s to find a period when a good quality tv show was rather rare -- like TWIN PEAKS, which was an event in itself. Then with HBO shows like OZ and SOPRANOS, a whole new level was set. Fastforward a decade after that again, and the competition is higher than ever in terms of making high quality tv shows -- in a myriad of different genres.

There's an interesting technological parallell here too.

Back in the post-war era in the US, cinema was struggling because of various issues, not the least of which was the onset of home televisions. So cinema had to up its game with various fancy formats to attract audiences. These days, the advent of streaming services has allowed a more instant relationship to television and so that triggers loads of creativity. Cinema, on its hand, again has to compete with lavish visuals.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    Steven wrote
    You don't have to respect my opinion, only my right to have one. wink

As with most things it's largely due to the fact that there's simply more TV shows out there to watch, so it's inevitable there will be more crap. There will always be crap in just about any medium, but that doesn't in anyway negate the great shows that have been and are currently being produced.

Again, Im not saying ALL in tv right now is crap.. I agreed with the high quality of those shows Martijn mentioned but honesty theres not much I would watch beyond that because indeed the rest is just network junk...

We all have must always respect other peoples opinions, what we dont have is to always agree... We are here to respectfully embrace debates..
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tv is very cheap and crappy these days, only few exceptions shine, such as the ones you mentioned above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Tv is very cheap and crappy these days, only few exceptions shine, such as the ones you mentioned above.

Again, D, it's because there's so much more TV in general, and crap things from the past tend to be forgotten (hence the past can look rosier than the present). You can't expect everything to be as good as those top TV shows, and there are more than just a 'few' shining examples, you just need to look a little harder. Crap has always been around, and will always be around, but don't let that fool you into thinking now isn't a great time for quality TV series.

Robinson wrote
    We all have must always respect other peoples opinions, what we dont have is to always agree... We are here to respectfully embrace debates..

Nope, but we must respect a person's right to have an opinion. Not every opinion is worthy of respect. wink (Not that I'm implying anything!)