• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    crap things from the past tend to be forgotten (hence the past can look rosier than the present).

yeah yeah Quoted for TRUTH!!! yeah yeah beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014
    Steven wrote
    crap things from the past tend to be forgotten (hence the past can look rosier than the present).

Oh, I dunno.
    ( love )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    Crap has always been around, and will always be around, but don't let that fool you into thinking now isn't a great time for quality TV series.

Very true. Helping out on a loft conversion some years ago we came across a pile of Daily Mirror newspapers dating from the early 1970's, I just had to look at the TV listings, only three channels, BBC's 1 & 2 and ITV. It's easy for me to look back at those years with the clichéd rose-tints on but the reality was that the majority of it was crap, stuff like The Black & White Minstral Show and Sing-a-long-a-Max. The best shows were David Attenborough ( so what's changed? wink ), Horizon, The Ascent of Man and The Sky at Night. All TV stations were finished by about midnight.

As far as I could see, Coronation Street was the only soap on TV during that time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Oh, I dunno.
    ( love )

Crap things from the past tend to gain cult status.

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I can't wait for quality like this to gain cult status in a few hundred years time... dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Oh, I dunno.
    ( love )

V.

Crap things from the past tend to get remade and remade worse than they originally were.

Battlestar Galactica being one of the exceptions IMO
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Tv is very cheap and crappy these days, only few exceptions shine, such as the ones you mentioned above.

Again, D, it's because there's so much more TV in general, and crap things from the past tend to be forgotten (hence the past can look rosier than the present). You can't expect everything to be as good as those top TV shows, and there are more than just a 'few' shining examples, you just need to look a little harder. Crap has always been around, and will always be around, but don't let that fool you into thinking now isn't a great time for quality TV series.

Robinson wrote
    We all have must always respect other peoples opinions, what we dont have is to always agree... We are here to respectfully embrace debates..

Nope, but we must respect a person's right to have an opinion. Not every opinion is worthy of respect. wink (Not that I'm implying anything!)

I don't think crappy reality MTV and co, reality tv in general , kardashians, pregnant teenage whores, douchy New Jersey lowlife trash are something tv always had but didn't show before..
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Oh, I dunno.
    ( love )

V.

Crap things from the past tend to get remade and remade worse than they originally were.

Battlestar Galactica being one of the exceptions IMO

So say we all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, not all of us!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

I don't think crappy reality MTV and co, reality tv in general , kardashians, pregnant teenage whores, douchy New Jersey lowlife trash are something tv always had but didn't show before..

Well, no. Of course those shows didn't exist. And yes, they are indeed awful. But that doesn't mean there wasn't bad quality shows before these existed, even if you could probably make a good argument these are the lowest form of entertainment to have blessed our screens since the first TV broadcast. Again, for the umpteenth time, the more TV there is, the more crap you will see.

But my point is not that the average show is better than it ever used to be, but that the best shows we're seeing are largely those being made this side of the millennium. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2014
    Steven wrote
    But my point is not that the average show is better than it ever used to be, but that the best shows we're seeing are largely those being made this side of the millennium. dizzy

True! What more can be said? I believe this is a fact!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    So according to you not every opinion is worthy of respect??!! Who the heck you think you are??!! What the heck gives you any right to declare opinions as not worthy?? Worthy of your acceptance?? Are you f****ng kidding me??!! If anybody have an opinion here, we all have to respect it and debate it in case you think its not accurate or right!!...
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2014 edited
    And the ‽ award of the month goes to... Robinson.

Let's see... alright, see what you think of these:

Very Good:
    -The Wire (Masterpiece. This show reeducates you.)
    -Breaking Bad
    -Sherlock
    -Person of Interest (This show sticks out like a sore thumb when I rank it with these others, but I stand by it. It does what it does perfectly, particularly in season 3.)
    -True Detectives (thus far)

Once Very Good:
    I dunno these ones feel like they're losing it
    -The Walking Dead (This one may be due to lack of faith on my part. First 1 or 2 seasons had a definite direction. At this point, what new and meaningful ground can be broken?)
    -The Newsroom (This one may be here unfairly. Will reevaluate. :P)
    -Homeland (This one may be unfair too. Well done, but hard to keep invested in the characters.)

Very Good with reservations--ex. dropping the ball at the end:
    -Lost (The definition of "very good with reservations")
    -Battlestar Galactica (Came together in the end better than Lost, but still has major issues.)
    -Awake (Did not drop the ball at the end, rather got cut off before everything really got going. My favorite core concept of a show; grief-power alternate realities, there's a lot to work off of there.)
    -Game of Thrones (This should be in "Very Good"... but the book series is currently fairly endless, prediction is that the show will be headed that way too. Also, basically intolerable amounts of shock and tragedy count as reservations.)

Almost Very Good
    I'm stingy with my Very Goods.
    -House of Cards (It's hard for me to pinpoint what this show is lacking, but it is lacking something. I think it's a pervading sense that, in spite of great writing and performances, overall everything is so rigidly predetermined. It feels too manufactured. Like I said, it's hard to articulate.)
    -Broadchurch (Simply almost very good. Once you've seen it, you know, and then it's done.)

Good
    -Fringe (Wants to be in "Very Good," but I have to be honest, that's favoritism :P)
    -Chuck (The last season lost some steam)
    -Psych (Perfect at what it does; favorite go-to for silliness and laughter)
    -Castle (The current season has arguably been its best. Not sure how they're pulling that off.)
    -The Mentalist (Losing steam, I think. A nice middle ground between )
    -Hannibal (It is good. It is not "Very Good." The cinematography and style is a fun ride.)
    -Doctor Who (Does this belong in "Almost Very Good"? Has "Very Good" moments. Overall, though, it doesn't belong with the others. Deserves its massive cult following though. Nothing else like it.)
    -Luther (Has great elements. Phenomenal acting overall by main cast, writing generally good, some villains and plot twists refreshing, others a bit of a mess.)

Not worth it:
    -Caprica - (Watched for Bear's soundtrack. Skip.)
    -Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (So far, so meh)
    -Almost Human (Not quite worth it. Though the in-car banter between the two leads is so funny it's basically worth it after all. All the ingredients for a great show half baked into a cramped procedural cake pan for season 1. If there's a season 2 and the story finally starts to build this one could pull a Fringe.)

My solution to the everything-TV-is-crap situation is to completely constrain viewing to what I believe to be good (the 3 exceptions being my "not worth it" section). I have probably not seen more than a total of 30 minutes of a reality show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Robinson wrote
    So according to you not every opinion is worthy of respect??!! Who the heck you think you are??!! What the heck gives you any right to declare opinions as not worthy?? Worthy of your acceptance?? Are you f****ng kidding me??!! If anybody have an opinion here, we all have to respect it and debate it in case you think its not accurate or right!!...

Dear Robinson, i think you took what Steven said wrong smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Demetris wrote
    Robinson wrote

Example: In my opinion, Hans Zimmer is actually a giant cupcake. This opinion is really not worthy of respect. However, I do have the right to have that opinion. I think this is also a good argument that an opinion can be wrong/false. It is correct/true that that is my opinion, but the information/fact of the matter is still wrong/false.

Zimmer is a cupcake. There, I said it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Feliz wrote

shocked
    I....I agree with everything you wrote!

That's no good!
    I want to rant incoherently against your wrong opinions, and you've denied me the opportunity!
    I hate you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Robinson wrote

*sigh*

Okay. I'll say it again:

Not every opinion is worthy of respect, but a person's right to have one is.
    It's very simple.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    Feliz wrote
    And the ‽ award of the month goes to... Robinson.

OMG!!!! Thank YOU sooooo much!!!
    I dont know where to start, so nervous right now!!!.... Never given any acceptance speech!...

Thank you to this entire community for giving me this award. Im humbled and I accept it.

Im speechless, and about to cry but Ill say this...

Thank you to guys like Demetris, Bregt, Martijn and others I might forget right now, for making this site a better place... Without guys like them I dont think I wouldnt ever be here in the first place!....

Its an unbelievable honor, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We love you. We really love you. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    We love you. We really love you. biggrin

Huh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Aside from the fact that my opinions are well-known to be rock solid and unassailable facts, I fear my clever and extremely witty reference to melodramatic acceptance speeches was completely lost.

Sometimes I feel so alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    I guess thats because this one came from the heart Martijn... Gosh Im just sooo humbled and happy to be appreciated here... Words can not describe this feeling... I lost it too Martijn!.... shame shame
    Robinson
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Feliz wrote

shocked
    I....I agree with everything you wrote!

That's no good!
    I want to rant incoherently against your wrong opinions, and you've denied me the opportunity!
    I hate you.

pssst!! Martijn, he didn't mention Deadwood and though it's older he also didn't mention the great benchmark The Sopranos nor Six Feet Under. devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I remember watching that first scene where Billy goes mental and tries to cut Brenda's skin off. I was a little, shall we say, high when I was watching this scene, and I kept turning to my girlfriend at the time asking "This is really intense, is this really happening?" dizzy cool

Anyway, apart from a few really excellent moments, I never felt like Six Feet Under was anything better than a really really good soap opera. I never felt like it was one of The Greats, more like one of The Very Goods. I did thoroughly enjoy the show though, and it's one of my favourites regardless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Aside from the fact that my opinions are well-known to be rock solid and unassailable facts, I fear my clever and extremely witty reference to melodramatic acceptance speeches was completely lost.

Sometimes I feel so alone.

For all those times your brilliance has gone unnoticed...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    [small]pssst!! Martijn, he didn't mention Deadwood

shocked
    M@th3rf*cking c@cks*cker!

I do miss Al. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    For all those times your brilliance has gone unnoticed...

Aw, shucks. shame
  4. Feliz wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Robinson wrote

Example: In my opinion, Hans Zimmer is actually a giant cupcake.

He is. With way too much suggar. At first it's tasty but if you have too much of it you'll be sick.

wink Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Captain Future wroteHe is. With way too much suggar.

I'M NOT ALONE. tongue

Martijn wrote
    shocked I....I agree with everything you wrote!

That's no good!
    I hate you.

Ah, really? Crap, I wanted to vehemently defend my opinions, demand you adopt them, and be all generally close-minded and huffy. This has been a huge disappointment.

Timmer wrotepssst!! Martijn, he didn't mention Deadwood and though it's older he also didn't mention the great benchmark The Sopranos nor Six Feet Under. devil

Because they're STUPID.

Kidding, I just haven't seen them yet. Sopranos is next up.