• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    Thanks, i will! Hannibal? Do you enjoy this too? (i am watching it, i haven't watched house of cards yet)

Also, all my friends are currently hooked on TRUE DETECTIVE...is this so good indeed?

I agree with what Thor said early in the thread - it's good, but slow-moving. Matthew McConawhatever is very, very good in it, as is Woody Harrelson. Apparently it's intended that each season is an entirely self-contained story with an entirely different cast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thanks, i will! Hannibal? Do you enjoy this too? (i am watching it, i haven't watched house of cards yet)

Also, all my friends are currently hooked on TRUE DETECTIVE...is this so good indeed?

I agree with what Thor said early in the thread - it's good, but slow-moving. Matthew McConawhatever is very, very good in it, as is Woody Harrelson. Apparently it's intended that each season is an entirely self-contained story with an entirely different cast.

Really? Like AMERICAN HORROR STORY, then (although there are some overlapping actors playing different roles).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014
    Thanks James, i'll start watching alongside HANNIBAL!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You mean Hannibal is the only show you're watching at the moment? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap shame and big bang theory, and family guy, and american dad and south park.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I'm not much of a TV watcher, and I rarely keep up with anything current, but lately I've been watching Elementary which is the US equivalent to Sherlock I guess. Puts a British Sherlock Holmes (Jonny Lee Miller) in New York City with a female (Joan) Watson (Lucy Liu) who starts out as his sober companion to help him get over a heroin addiction. Not perhaps as memorable or cinematic as the BBC's Sherlock, but Miller's Sherlock is actually more likeable and human than Cumberbatch's, and it's a decently fun and well-made show. Nice main title music by Sean Callery as well, wish it was a bit longer.

I find Big Bang Theory unbearable. Bunch of irritating "geek" stereotypes that are laughed at more than with. rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like The Big Bang Theory. D, you should check out the IT Crowd.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Big Bang Theory is very badly written, but I do enjoy it. It's somethimg light and undemanding with the occasional funny moment. Yeah, I can see why some might take offense, but as someone who can relate with a lot of what they send up, I just find it funny. If you can't laugh at yourself, you're pretty screwed.

I'm currently watching The US Office for my light, undemanding viewing needs. I've got through 6 seasons in under two weeks. shame
  2. I do like the occasional reference joke but again, I always feel like the punchline is along the lines of "haha, isn't it funny that these people care so much about something as insignificant as whether Picard or Kirk are the better captain". That doesn't sit very well with me. I know I'm probably taking it too seriously though. And I also probably haven't watched enough of it to give it a fair chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Things I'm watching at the moment (yes - I have no life):

The Following - Kevin Bacon as FBI agent chasing a serial killer. First season was excellent, second rather dull so far. May give up.

The Good Wife - legal drama. Better than its title implies. Latest season is easily the best yet.

True Detective - mentioned above. Very well-made but quite slow-paced (so far).

Revolution - a bit like Lost, though nobody's lost. Society rebuilds slowly from anarchy after unexplained event removes all electrical power from earth (though it occasionally comes back when the writers - who worked on Lost - need to get themselves out of a hole)

The Blacklist - James Spader as the FBI's most wanted man, who escapes being prosecuted in return for helping them catch other most wanted men. Some weeks better than others but when it's good, it's really good.

24 - rewatching from the start now it's on Sky On Demand. First season not as good as I remembered, now there's no novelty value.
  3. At the moment I'm spending a bit of time with.

House of Cards - Season 2 - I'm just through Season 2 of the American series, and while it's not as strong as season 1 (lack of an effective opposition, despite many candidates), there's still a lot of plot contortions to enjoy, and some truly great episodes (episodes 1 and 4 come to mind).

The Returned - I'm only 4 episodes in to this French horror-drama about the resurrection of lost loved ones. Heavy in the gloom of David Lynch, they have moved the chess pieces superbly so far. The storytelling style has some similarities to LOST in the use of flashbacks, even if the genre is very different. I know American TV is good right now, but it's certainly not exclusively an American phenomenon.

How I Met Your Mother - Having devoured Community's first three seasons last year, I was in search of a new sitcom, and this one is one of the better scripted ones. It's a rare episode where I don't laugh at least a few times, and the use of nonlinear, digressive storytelling makes the average episode feel more like one of those great jokes you hear in a bar where it's more about the detours than the destination. Well cast.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. There were 3 opportunities to watch the Cosmos "reboot" today on TV but I wasn't enthused enough to want to watch it.

The original was such a groundbreaking series that it was a must-watch programme. And it had Carl Sagan on it; someone who, at the time, I could listen to all day (probably still would if he was still with us.)

The new show is being touted as having state-of-the-art visuals which are no doubt impressive (I am sure that the effects from the original series would look a bit ropey by today's standards) but that's not enough to watch it. Today's schedules are littered by similar documentaries so the "wow!" factor isn't there.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2014
    Have you seen any of it Alan? ( just asking, I haven't so don't really have an opinion ) Or have you just seen trailers for it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. I have not seen anything from it at all, programme or trailers.

I think that all the talk of there being excessive amounts of trailers, together with the fact that the show is on commercial TV, has put me off too. I have grown to hate ads in shows: I am not used to them now since my viewing habits mean that I very rarely watch commercial channels.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote

I think that all the talk of there being excessive amounts of trailers, together with the fact that the show is on commercial TV, has put me off too. I have grown to hate ads in shows: I am not used to them now since my viewing habits mean that I very rarely watch commercial channels.

I am not alone! smile

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I seriously need more recommendations of good tv shows now. Feel like I've depleted all the good ones out there.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. The Returned. The Returned.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Have you seen any of it Alan? ( just asking, I haven't so don't really have an opinion ) Or have you just seen trailers for it?

I caught a bit of it last night. From what I saw, it was a bit overly dramatic (in no small part due to Silvestri's score), and Tyson doesn't come off as the most natural of presenters. He's an excellent public speaker, but his 'acting' leaves a lot to be desired. Still, this was only 15 minutes or so, so perhaps the rest is better.

It's great that a scientist has reached such levels of popularity as Neil deGrasse Tyson has, but I much prefer Ian Stewart and Brian Cox as far as science presenters go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    The Returned. The Returned.

I'm already through it! Love it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014
    Feliz wrote
    Once Very Good:
    I dunno these ones feel like they're losing it
    -The Walking Dead (This one may be due to lack of faith on my part. First 1 or 2 seasons had a definite direction. At this point, what new and meaningful ground can be broken?)

I'm almost about to finish season 4 after a huge two or three week marathon catch-up from season 1, and all I can think of saying is ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?

This show is fantastic. I actually felt season 1 and 2 are the weakest of the series, and series 4, particularly after the 'big event' has taken the show in a brilliant new direction. I am really loving this show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Same here. I love the higher focus on character drama this season and less on the zombie action!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Exactly! I think the first season was all about that, and that was great as a starting point. But they had to do something more and focus on character and humanity, and they have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Once this finishes, I will be starting on the first season of True Detective. Any fans?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Once this finishes, I will be starting on the first season of True Detective. Any fans?

Four episodes in and it's losing me a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

Yeah, it's great. Not BREAKING BAD-great (as a colleague of mine said), but quite captivating. That's impressive considering I'm usually bored to tears by crime shows. There needs to be something extra or 'off' by it, and this certainly has it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    There were 3 opportunities to watch the Cosmos "reboot" today on TV but I wasn't enthused enough to want to watch it.

The original was such a groundbreaking series that it was a must-watch programme. And it had Carl Sagan on it; someone who, at the time, I could listen to all day (probably still would if he was still with us.)

The new show is being touted as having state-of-the-art visuals which are no doubt impressive (I am sure that the effects from the original series would look a bit ropey by today's standards) but that's not enough to watch it. Today's schedules are littered by similar documentaries so the "wow!" factor isn't there.

I've enjoyed it but it's very much "coffee table book" stuff, if you know much about the subject (which I don't) then you probably won't learn anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I suppose that's the angle they were going for, especially as Seth Macfarlane had decided to go to Fox with the idea. Hopefully it encourages non-scientific Fox viewers (and their equivalents) to delve into the world of science, and actually learn some interesting things about reality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree with that assessment. It's pretty lightweight and a bit confusingly told. And ripe with big, empty American words. But I love the visuals -- I'm a sucker for all things space.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014
    Wait, so you like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and agreed with my last statement? Huh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014
    Thor wrote
    I'm usually bored to tears by crime shows.

Weirdly enough, I'm the same.

...good lord.