• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014
    Steven wrote
    Wait, so you like Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and agreed with my last statement? Huh.

He, he...film and tv-wise, I wouldn't be surprised if we have lots in common. As far as soundtracks are concerned, on the other hand...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think we should hang out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...but I get to choose the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As long as we're drunk enough, that's fine.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm drunk now.
  1. Thor wrote
    big, empty American words.

I'd love to know what you mean by this. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    One thing I am irrationally irritated by is the American pronunciation of "Cosmos", which is a bit of a problem in the context of this particular show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    big, empty American words.

I'd love to know what you mean by this. biggrin

You know, very pompous, clichéed speeches like you see in every other speech in American films and tv shows.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2014
    Said on facebook, but would rather bring the discussion here:

Demetris wrote
    Lost has been the best show ever on TV. End of story.

I loved Lost. Really. I loved the premise, the setting, the constant mystery, the music and the beautiful people. It will always have a special place in my heart. But even I recognised its bad writing. For that reason, objectively it just can't compete with far better written TV shows out there.

Subjectively, of course, is a different matter. There was something inexplicably appealing about Lost, but ultimately it was let down by sloppy writing. Had it had better writing, then yes, this could have been one of THE truly great TV shows. But, alas, it wasn't the case.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It never really gelled with me. I knew from an early point that they'd written themselves into a corner and there would be no satisfactory conclusion. As Steven rightfully points out, the writing was appalling, I had no interest in the show at all half way through the 3rd season and gave up, most of my friends say I've saved myself many hours of wasted time.

Demetris wrote
    Lost has been the best show ever on TV. End of story.

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree with Steven...again! Something very appealing about the show, but ultimately frustrating because of the stupidity of the script and their desire to take everything so far that they could never write themselves in again.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    Nothing to add to that.
    So I won't.
    Even if I just did.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Here's one potentially for you, Thor:

After discovering a show I had never heard of and reading positive reviews, then watching two episodes, I can say a relatively short-lived show (only two seasons, 44 episodes) called "Mysterious Ways" (2000) was a sleeper that apparently didn't get much attention.

It starts Adrian Pasdar (star of a great short-lived series called "Profit"), Rae Dawn Chong, and Alison Down as Pasdar's moody and anti social assistant.

Declan (Pasdar) and Miranda (Down) work at a university where Declan teaches history/archeology. In his spare time, he investigates unexplained miracles, always hoping he might be there that one time is a to witness or prove the Hand of God, or at least intelligently debunk the mystery with facts.
    He quickly befriends and calls on Dr. Fowler (Dawn) to help here and there, what with her being a psychologist.

The show is well written and plotted. I'm two episodes and aside from show bad acting from the mother in the pilot, so far so good -- satisfying and slowly unflowering.

Declan is a classic quirky character with wit and intelligence, and a ugly shaggy dog that may be part Wookie.

It's not an amazing series (so far), but it may well be worth your time (it's kind of slow, in a good way; I recall Thor saying he liked slow shows). A little spirituality, a little mystery, and a little unexplained phenomenon. And some little laughs.

The scoring by Terry Fewer, is unremarkable and often times just sort of blends so much into the background, it might as well not even be there. The opening/closing theme is terrible -- that should have been tossed an better music done.

Here's the pilot:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUjXcEksDIY
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2014
    Thanks for suggestion. If I like it or not depends on how 'serious' it is; I don't really like MACGYVER/QUANTUM LEAP-type aesthetics anymore.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. You mean to say, you've grown up?! shocked

wink V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2014
    Indeed.

But I know that Justin likes a particular type of 90s television show that I'm no longer interested in, so I'm a bit hesitant. But I like the premise of the one he described above.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. No, I enjoy a number of eisodes of "MacGyver" (the more serious one, mostly), but as a whole I can't say I like the series. It was just a large uneven misfire. And most of the TV series I enjoy, are ones that mix seriousness with various amounts some lighter air.

I watched a couple more episodes and I got to say: this is a really good show.

Is it dead children puishing cars off a railroad track area where a schoolbus full of children where killed 20 years ago? Or is there more than meets the eye. Very clever show (very clever episode I referenced).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Either Justin was drunk or he typed on an iphone. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2014
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Once this finishes, I will be starting on the first season of True Detective. Any fans?

Yeah, it's great. Not BREAKING BAD-great (as a colleague of mine said), but quite captivating. That's impressive considering I'm usually bored to tears by crime shows. There needs to be something extra or 'off' by it, and this certainly has it.

Just watched the last episode. I liked it! So... [spoiler]what was with that weird spinning cloud thing in the abandoned bunker scene at the end of the last episode?[/spoiler] uhm
  6. Captain Future wrote
    Either Justin was drunk or he typed on an iphone. cheesy

I was very, very tired and not paying attention much. I was up late doing stuff, then had to get up early (which sort of failed). Don't drink, and you couldn't pay me to hold an iPlastic thingy.
  7. justin boggan wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Either Justin was drunk or he typed on an iphone. cheesy

I was very, very tired and not paying attention much. I was up late doing stuff, then had to get up early (which sort of failed). Don't drink, and you couldn't pay me to hold an iPlastic thingy.

OK kiss
  8. "Mysterious Ways" turned out to be a really good series, well worth the time. I finished both seasons.

The main three characters, more specifically Declan and Miranda, were great fun and interacted well.

While around the end of the first season the show wasn't as good (that continued into the second season, bar a few stand outs), it should be noted it started out very strong so that slight decline means it was still very good.

There was no arc, but that's because Declan investigated mysteries, which are never quite the same, but there were general themes and ideas running throughout the series.

The final episode was a let down for several reasons. Also, it was like the decision to cancel, came after the finale, so there was no tying up of the series. But the great thing about the show, even after all this time, it could pick back up and not have lost much.

I like Adrian Pasdar -- it's a shame the only two series he was the main star of, were both canned. and that after that, it's been a mixed bag.

Reportedly the show wasn't cancelled because of low ratings but rather they wanted to move production over to Canada because it costs so much in California, but the cast didn't want to move there and wham -- end of the series. :-(

The scoring by Terry Frewer got better (there's probably a very decent 40 to 50 minute CD-worth of material) as the series progressed. It was like some kind of odd "The X-Files" meets plucky Thomas Newman combo.