• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Well, you're not a big fan of Mr. Abrams, as we know wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, you're not a big fan of Mr. Abrams, as we know wink

It's fair to say that I'm not one of his biggest fans.

The slew of positive reviews does make me wonder whether this one might turn out OK. It's always dangerous to read too much into these early ones, but I've hardly seen a bad word about it yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    How's this for publicity - at a screening of one of the old Trek movies in America, the projector broke down and the fans started booing. Then Leonard Nimoy walked onto the stage and explained the projector wasn't broken but instead they wanted to show them the new film.

I'd love it if they still booed and demanded the old film. biggrin

That's what I would have done. It was Star Trek II, after all. How wonderful it would be to see that on the big screen!

In fact, I can only imagine how deliriously happy I would be if I went to see the new Star Trek film but they showed Star Trek II instead. wink

I agree. That or Star Trek VI are films I'd much rather see on the big screen than this new one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    II and VI are easily the most "cinematic" of the films. (And the first one, but that has its problems.) The ones after VI are no better than the best of the Next Generation tv shows, and quite a lot worse than Deep Space Nine at its best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009 edited
    Man, I thought First Contact was one of the best three of the bunch (and better than any episode of the series that I can remember). I would put it up there with II and VI.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjadetine
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2009
    I walked in with an intermediate amount of doubt... and was completely inspired by the time I walked out.

Quinto was not the usual angry old Spock, but I consider that a good thing. Nimoy's cameo was charming. No other spoilers here.

My favorite part of the soundtrack was the melancholy oriental erhu solos during Vulcan and Spock-centric scenes. Very stirring. Not sure if that has been done before in the Star Trek franchise- someone let me know.

Winona Ryder as Spock's mom? ha.

Go see the movie. Worth paying the theater fee. I promise.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2009
    The movie is Outstanding, I encourage everyone to see it, and of course Giacchino's music is too.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2009
    moonie wrote
    The movie is Outstanding, I encourage everyone to see it, and of course Giacchino's music is too.

Agreed! I've seen it twice. punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009
    What is this for DVD artwork?! vomit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not great but an improvement on the CD cover.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Looks like they're trying their utmost not to pay extra royalties to the actors. I mean, we all know the name is Trek... Star Trek.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Why isn't it this or second to it the shower curtain and sprinkler? It has floating heads, but at least it looks professional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009
    So, who else got Star Trek on DVD/Blu-Ray? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Me! Blu ray is fantastic! The sound mix is unbelievable. Dare I say it but the music actually has a better mix than on CD.

One of the few movies that manages to live up to the huge cinema feel even when watched at home. Love it.
  2. Still haven't gotten around to getting it on blu, but I will. And Anthony if what you're saying about the sound mix is also what I've been reading about it, then this sound mix should effectively move my residence by a few inches or so. The more the better!!!!

For me the goddamndest kickass and awesome soundmix I've heard in all my home cinema years until now is the one for Watchmen on blu-ray. Did I mention it's goddamnest kickass and awesome? Well it most certainly is! Dolby TrueHD perfection.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Transformers and Die Hard 4.0 where at the top of my list but Star Trek arguably makes them topple downward.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Still haven't gotten around to getting it on blu, but I will. And Anthony if what you're saying about the sound mix is also what I've been reading about it, then this sound mix should effectively move my residence by a few inches or so. The more the better!!!!

For me the goddamndest kickass and awesome soundmix I've heard in all my home cinema years until now is the one for Watchmen on blu-ray. Did I mention it's goddamnest kickass and awesome? Well it most certainly is! Dolby TrueHD perfection.

Your neighbours must love you...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. No, but they don't hate me either.

In fact they've never commented on it. Which makes me happy. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I neighbors love me for not living in a semi-detached. wink
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    DreamTheater wrote
    Still haven't gotten around to getting it on blu, but I will. And Anthony if what you're saying about the sound mix is also what I've been reading about it, then this sound mix should effectively move my residence by a few inches or so. The more the better!!!!

I got the Blu Ray last week and watched the movie last saturday night and yes, the house shook when Nero was making his apparition. Amazing sound and there is a a little featurette on the making of the music with Giacchino. Fun.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009 edited
    If anyone has the 2 disc DVD can they rip that extra please? I'm stuck when it comes to blu ray! There's a really pants version of it on youtube already but nothing good.
  4. Now, the Nemesis score has arrived and concludes the journey that started - if I remember correctly - with Wrath of Khan. Enthusiasm has cooled down a bit, I guess because Insurrection and Nemesis where not among Goldsmith's most memorable efforts.
    Still, I have purchased them all. (TV box sets not counting.) Who else has? Was it worth it? What was the most important release for you? What cue was your top priority? What score do you like to listen to in its entirety? ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014
    You're still missing one. Star Trek Into Darkness Deluxe Edition.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. True. I was thinking only of the "original unverse" scores. A deluxe edition of the above score would be a treat. More so as I missed out on the deluxe edition of Giacchino's original score for the franchise. I don't seem to be able to find that one for a reasonable price. (120 €? I think not.)

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014 edited
    Star Trek Into Darkness is certainly deserving of an expanded release, with around eighty minutes of unreleased music including two concert suites. The thematic material for Admiral Marcus is barely present on the OST.