• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Obviously an affinity for instrumental music is a big part of why we're all here. I think sensitivity to musical storytelling is another big drawcard. We've all been moved by the way musical ideas have been used to express the elements of story within a film. Patton and that echoplex trumpet in a ghostly battlefield of strings. The melancholy French horn minor key wisdom of 'The Force' in Star Wars. Crom and his Anvil.

What I'm interested in here is where the way music has been used has made a strong impression on you in the film, really brought an element of the story home. Keep it to one if you can.

I'll kick it off with an unlikely case. Contagion was Steven Soderbergh's superbug thriller, a multiple protagonist story characterised by narrative branching as its central character, a virus, spread. The virus itself, seen in its symptoms or occasionally under a microscope, was largely an unobserved characters. But Martinez's score puts a musical idea for that virus at its heart, and for much of the film's gripping setup, becomes the virus's presence in the film. A chilly drone base, a syncopated (heart)beat, an ascending piano motif and a strange synth idea that could perhaps be described as 'electric jelly' -- these elements mingle and procreate with delightful energy. This virus is growing, and will grow further.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBY7FnkNI4c
    Asked what my ideal of music is, I doubt I would ever describe something like that track. But if you asked me to describe what a film composer must to do to make a story work, that track is an example of this medium at its most interesting.

Again, this has nothing to do with the music you like. This is about what film composers are really trying to do when they write the music we happen to like. And it doesn't have to be original score -- if a needle drop or source track sums it up best for you, fire away.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014 edited
    Interesting topic, but I'm struggling a bit to find the basic premise -- are you talking about a form of film musical onomatopoetikon? You know, like in BLADE RUNNER, where the non-diegetic bleeds together with the diegetic, and sound effects with music, to create this very specific sound world that encapsulates the dystopian landscape.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I know what you mean, but I didn't want to hide it with jargon, which terminology like that risks doing. (Watch the number of potential replies drop tenfold). In the end, most of this music has been written to tell stories, so when has it compellingly told a story to you? Blade runner would be a good case of music becoming an extension of the setting, from which it covertly ventures forth to support the drama.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014
    I see. I tend to need my parameters to be very narrow and defined in order to provide useful examples, but that would probably lead to less replies, I agree.

I tend to be more attracted to 'sound worlds' than specific narrative tools to connote specific narrative elements in a film. Like BLADE RUNNER, or the general feeling of 'sunset' and 'water' in BEYOND RANGOON.

But one such specific tool I can think of off the top of my head is the ice dance sequence from EDWARD SCISSORHANDS. As Kim ventures outside to see Edward creating the ice sculpture of her, the music communicates everything that the characters don't, at least not explicitly. It's an intimate moment between the two, but it's all in the music. With Edward's sharp hands, they can't touch -- Kim touching the falling iceflakes is an indirect form of intimacy, if you willl. Elfman's waltz uses two choral vowels ('ooohs' and 'aaaahs') talking to and responding to each other in lieu of verbal communication.

(of course, there's an intriguing topic here concering music's non-representability, i.e. how music doesn't really have meaning in itself, but that we read things into it, especially in a representative artform like film -- but that is a more adademic topic that is best suited for other venues, maybe).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I'll have to give it a think, in terms of a post, but I have some ideas about what I like and what I don't like. This is something that has fascinated me for ages and I'll try to add my two cents later in the day.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Well, I never seperate the music from the film, so if a piece of music managed to represent the essence of the film then that is the reason why I like it.
    This is not soley a thing the composer does. The way our mind percieves and - to an extend - constructs the film, is just as importand. This is hermeneutics and I won't go too deep into it. You mentioned STAR WARS. As for you for me "Obi Wan / The Force Theme" has always been that piece of music that delivered the essence of the whole saga in a nutshell. Yet for others that cue may be "Yoda's Theme" or "The Emperial March" or the main title fanfare. That probably depends on what aspect of the story one values most, the militaristic aspect, the idealistic aspect, the spriritualism or something else.
    Another example: Dead Poets Society. I love that film to pieces. As a teacher I put into question some of the things my "colleague" John Keating does in that film. But as a film the whole thing is just brilliant. The film has very little original score (Maurice Jarre) and what it has is quite subdued. The whole magic lies in the final march "Keating's Triumph". Few pieces of film music have moved me that deeply.
    Another exampe would be "Leaving Wallbrook / On the Road" from Rain Man (Hans Zimmer), "On Earth as it is in Heaven" from The Mission (Ennio Morricone) or "Main Titles" from Chariots of Fire (Vangelis). All these films clelebrate idealism and the spirit of man. Obviously that is something that resonates deeply with me.
    Is that what you meant? Great topic!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Good replies guys. This is the sort of thing I mean. And I agree, Captain Future, its hard to separate music you like from music that's made an emotional impression on you in film context.

I am guessing you don't really think of it this way, Thor, but for me music that paints a specific sound world is often serving a narrative function. I cant separate Zimmer's Crimson Tide from its submarine setting-- the sense of a heavy metallic arena is somehow embodied within the score, watery graves and all. Vangelis brought a new age optimism to 1492, rather than embalming it in genre tropes.

Don't post too much pawel. I'm just after one example from each, and a gut reaction is the best reaction to have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think the finest example for me -and I cite this one because even at impressionable age 13 this really stood out to me- is the final duel in Return Of The Jedi (sorry to have Star Wars dominate this thread a bit, but, well, you asked the question and you know your audience! smile ).

While there were allusions beforehand that Luke losing control would play right in the Emperor's hands, they were, in the script, at least ambiguous: Palpatine suggests that striking out would destroy Luke, but holding back might even be worse. He keeps Luke off-balance by his words, and we're never sure what the right thing to do is.
    Until Vader provokes Luke into a furious attack.

Now think about it: Luke is taking on the worst villain in movie history. A genocidal, insane maniac on galactic scale.
    And he is winning! He is beating this fiend to within an inch of his life.
    ...and ...it's not a good thing!

And how do we know this, even before Palpatine's triumphant laugh?
    Williams' apocalyptic choir, that works its way to an mournful, almost funereal catharsis.
    It suggests an unavoidable dark destiny.

Had this been scored any other way, we would not have known what's going on. In fact we would have cheered.
    Now, we are plunged in sorrow and despair as the very worst scenario possible is coming to pass right before our eyes, while the hero is defeating the villain. That turnaround is almost solely due to the music that really enters the score as a prime mover.
    (Of course the lighting and choreography do a lot to reinforce the message, without a doubt.
    But the music is SO crucial here that I have no hesitation at all to put this one down as my prime example).

Is this the sort of thing you were looking for, Michael?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That moment is one THE pinnacle moments of music and imagery in the Star Wars trilogy (which is to say it's surely one the greatest Film Music Moments in cinema history). It's very short, and can pass by relatively unnoticed if you're not careful (say, if you happen to just be listening to it in the background) but it's a moment in the score that deserves your full attention, and deserves to have the volume turned up. It's always been one of my favourite Film Music Moments, for the reasons you described. It's a true testament to John Wiliams' genius.
  6. Yes, Williams is that aware of the architcture of the overall narrative, that he applies a unique theme to underline the singularity of the situation. Only when Yoda passes into the Force, that theme is preparingly hinted at.

Not only is it the pinnacle of the original trilogy but of the saga as a whole. Hence Williams rightfully did not use that theme in "Battle of the Heroes", as was demanded by fans back then. What he did use, is a theme that is somewhat similar in style. So the musical connection between both scenes is much more subtle than it would have been had Williams scored them with the same theme.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    One of these moment for me is during the Reliant's "Surprise Attack" on the Enterprise in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. This is one of my favourite James Horner tracks and it's such an exciting track, adding some great drive to the film.

But, one of the sequences of this scene that really sticks in my mind - and it's very short, lasting only about 20 seconds on screen - is when Khan and his cronies have fired on the Enterprise and we see the chaos and damage that has been caused by the attack. The sequence in question is when Kirk asks Spock for a damage report and all we see is Kirk walking over to Spock and the Vulcan pointing to a graphic on screen and then saying "They knew exactly where to hit us"...etc.

Without any music this would have been quite uninteresting but Horner halts the "action scoring" and adds a passage of descending low strings (at 3:25-3:45 of "Surprise Attack" on the album) which, to me, paints a picture of the (unseen) human cost and suffering of the attack. This short sequence also hints at the depths of the problem our heroes face.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014
    Thor wrote
    Interesting topic, but I'm struggling a bit to find the basic premise -- are you talking about a form of film musical onomatopoetikon? You know, like in BLADE RUNNER, where the non-diegetic bleeds together with the diegetic, and sound effects with music, to create this very specific sound world that encapsulates the dystopian landscape.

I would suggest the true onomatoepeia in film music can mostly be found in Carl Stalling scored cartoons .
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. I would argue that there are bits in Indiana Jones, where Williams attempts at that kind of approach.
  8. (I mean the whole trilogy)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2014
    Apparently Michael lost interest in this thread?
    That, or it was just to provide some occupational therapy for the regulars here, which is not without its own merit, I assume.

wink
  9. Actually I meant to come back to it with another post this week to get it rolling again. Still it was meant to be more than a solo effort-- I was trying to get a sense of what people felt the best musical storytelling they'd experienced was. (Would people name the same titles, or would choices be more idiosyncratic.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014 edited
    I've been meaning to post in this thread, but have every intention of ignoring its real purpose by refusing to name a specific example!

As I've said before, I think there are two main reasons why people like film music albums - (a) because they like films and want a reminder of them; (b) they like the music because of its musical storytelling. (Of course, there can be some overlap there.) While sixty years ago "film music" may have meant a very specific style of European romantic orchestral music, these days it can mean anything, so it's hard to think there can be a specific musical reason somebody could like "film music".

This has led me to wonder exactly what it is about it that I like so much. I like certain types of classical music, certain types of rock and pop, but most of my musical listening is film music. How could this be? I concluded that it can only be because of the dramatic properties it has. That journey from A to B is surely the X-Factor there that hooks me in.

The great thing is that that journey can take many forms. It can be literal "the film does X, the music does X" taken down to the level of minutiae as in John Williams's most famous scores, or it can be "the film does X but what the audience really needs to know is Y" like Jerry Goldsmith at his best. It can be a more macro-level series of musical poems inspired by a film's ideas, a la Morricone. It can be a kind of intricate musical tapestry that does its thing through a series of emotional expressions, not directly hitting anything in the film but more smoothing over its rough edges and connecting things together - far harder to pull off but when done well it can be just as brilliant (hello James Horner). All these approaches, but all essentially doing the same thing - musical storytelling.

That's at the heart of all the great film score albums, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014 edited
    What you're describing there, James, seems to be a type of programmatic or 'concept' music idea that I also can relate to. Storytelling that way (and not necessarily the FILM's storytelling) is certainly a key component of my soundtrack enjoyment, but obviously not the only one. Sometimes it's just about revelling in a given mood or dechiffring abstract, tonal landscapes.

Personally, I think the appeal of soundtracks over classical or other types of concept albums, is its emotional immediacy within tracks -- it has to get to its emotional point more quickly because it adheres to specific scenes and timings -- while other concept albums are often more ornate and take a lot of detours to get to its point.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014
    Thor wrote
    Personally, I think the appeal of soundtracks over classical or other types of concept albums, is its emotional immediacy within tracks -- it has to get to its emotional point more quickly because it adheres to specific scenes and timings -- while other concept albums are often more ornate and take a lot of detours to get to its point.

Quoted for truth.
    It's exactly that, and it's taken me quite a while to get to that conclusion, and to understand why film music appealed to me so.
    It's good to see how someoen who actually studied the subject (or at least has looked at it from an academic point of view) comes to that very conclusion, albeit much more succinctly than I ever would (which, to be fair, is not a great feat. Brevity is NOT one of my strong suits.).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014
    Not sure of this fits here.

There's one example which I liked a lot. About Syriana, Desplat told that what your hear is not always what you think it is. He sometimes doubled several instruments, for example cello and electric counterpart, but they sound the same. He wanted to show that nothing is black and white, nothing is what it seems to be. Is the guy working for the oil company a bad person? Is the person working for the oligarch evil? (He explained it a lot better). And that movie certainly has multiple layers like that.
    Kazoo
  10. I remember that interview actually. And that absolutely belongs here. (Not least because of the composer involved and my tastes shame ).
  11. So, musical storytelling... and a recent case where I felt there were some strengths to the storytelling, but a few confusing things as well.

Noah (Mansell & Aronofsky collaborating)

I ended up seeing this twice at the cinema. Not out of great love for the film, although it has some things worth seeing twice, but just due to circumstances. Something I found interesting in the score was the use a motif. You can hear it at the opening of the track 'For Seasons, and for Days, and for Years' or 1:20 in to 'The End of All Flesh is Before Me' - a glistening upper register idea. Synth flute? In any case, it brought to mind other 'musical devices that represent a call'. (The Green Light motif in Craig Armstrong's Great Gatsby score is another recent example.) The motif works quite nicely early on in the film suggest that Noah is being pulled by something. That his visions are more than nightmares, but warnings from the Creator. In doing so, the motif serves music's most important role in film storytelling: to give voice to the unfilmable. (It's also ripe for thematic transformation -- the sense that something is calling could easily be twisted into a question mark. Was there ever a call? But the film doesn't seem interested in going there, although you could argue it's going on at the end.)

I was struck however, particularly on the second viewing, on how this idea falls by the wayside in the film's second half. It plays no part in the music for the Creation story, an obvious place for the idea's own genesis. Noah is equally driven by a vision once the boat is under way, doing things that seem irrational and impossible to sympathise with. He thinks he's hearing from the Creator again, but because the motif doesn't appear, I doubt anyone in the audience really feels that he is. That sense of another voice speaking to Noah is gone. A bit like Patton, giving his poem about the past, but without those echoing trumpeting lending those words the sense that they might be more than madness.

And this could well be intentional - they didn't want to suggest that what led him to do unlikely things before (ie. build the Ark) was the same thing that was driving him now (and I won't say what action I'm talking about). Williams after all didn't score the Shark's threat when it was false in Jaws. (But he was saving up for stronger effect later in the same scene when the shark did appear...) Maybe this was Aronofsky and Mansell's intention in the way they designed the score. But it does mean there's a large stretch of the film where we're not sure why Noah is so convinced of something, and losing that connection with the protagonist is tricky when he's the strongest character in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2014
    I don't know if we're talking about the same thing, franz, but I interpreted that high-register, haunting flute (or synth) element somewhat differently and more literal, namely as the concept of staying afloat. It becomes particularly evident towards the end of the gorgeous track "Make Thee An Ark". The leap between the lower and high register is so big that it gives me that idea. It's somewhat similar to what Williams did in E.T., when he created a similar leap between high and low in the moon flying-sequence.

But I like the 'call' idea too.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. We are talking about the same thing. And while my instinct is that it's a call, it could easily be associated with the idea of floating. (Who can say what music means?) I think in the first vision it appears with the flower and the Mountain of Methuselah, before the water comes, but that rules out nothing. (It's last appearance is after Noah is reconciled with his daughter-in-law on the mountain.)

I noticed there is a plucked/strummed instrument (perhaps of Baroque origin) that's connected to the actual appearances of the Ark. It's very 'real', in contrast to this high register idea.

I wish I could say I loved the movie. There's some very interesting things in it, but there are long sections in the second half where even the fresh elements of the tale felt boring and awkward.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2014 edited
    The movie is a gorgeous and fascinating 'mess', like many of Aronofsky's movies are. Scattered ideas -- both performed literally and audiovisually -- but not that much that holds it together. I think that's one of the reasons why I love him.

Of course, the element of 'floating' can also be interpreted in a metaphysical sense, running through the entire story (even before the ark is put in motion). In fact, 'floating' and 'call' can be viewed as two sides of the same coin.

I've only seen the film once, though (but listened to the soundtrack quite a few times), so I'd probably need to see it again to catch all the nuances.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. It's the drama in the last half that feels so forced to me. I wish he threw caution to the wind and ran away from story, because that's where he works best. (Black Swan is my favourite of his.)