• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2014
    Very pleased to see my favorite Martinez track ‘Eddie’s Dead’ from ‘Kafka’ being part of the program, yay! spin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goYNZhZ7Qj4
  1. don't know a lot by Martinez, I'm just glad they're gonna play "Once There was a Hushpuppy", one of THE most addictive tracks of 2012
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014
    Guest list for the whole filmfestival
    http://www.filmfestival.be/nl/filmblog/ … -2014/2436
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014
    Bregt wrote
    Guest list for the whole filmfestival
    http://www.filmfestival.be/nl/filmblog/ … -2014/2436

Some pretty famous names there -- Bruno Dumont, Bret Easton Ellis, our own Eskil Vogt, Atom Egoyan, Francois Ozon, Spandau Ballet...unfortunately, it all takes place before I arrive.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2014
    Bregt,
    Is Cyril Molesti a typo? Is composer Cyril Molin who is coming?

Cheers,
    Dennis

Bregt wrote
    Guest list
    during the last few days of the festival (23 to 25 October)

Bruno Coulais
    Philippe Sarde
    Cliff Martinez
    Dan Romer
    Francis Lai
    Steven Price
    Daniel Pemberton
    Patrick Cassidy
    Jérôme Lemonnier
    Hugo Lippens
    Cyril Molesti
    Moritz Schmittat
    Michelino Bisceglia
    Robin Foster
    Liam Bates
    Johann Johannson
    Alex Ebert
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Dennis wrote
    Bregt,

Cheers,
    Dennis

That's a typo from you there. The composer's name is Cyril MoRin. I have no idea who Cyril Molesti is. The name is kinda scary.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not kinda, IS!!!! freezing
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    Thor wrote
    Dennis wrote
    Bregt,

Cheers,
    Dennis

That's a typo from you there. The composer's name is Cyril MoRin. I have no idea who Cyril Molesti is. The name is kinda scary.

Thanks Thor,
    Yes that was a typo from myside but at least I misspelled 1 letter not 4........
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2014 edited
    While a Google search for 'Cyril Molesti' came up quite short (no website, no imdb, no nothing), it seems like it IS the right name -- a completely unknown and young composer. I say that because I found his facebook page, and on it he says how delighted he is to be nominated for the Young Composer award at WSA:

https://www.facebook.com/cyril.molesti

Who is this guy, and what did he do that made him such a 'discovery', according to the often weird academy of WSA?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Change your friggin surname for God's sake, if it's "molesti". Next thing you know: Jack Childraper
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2014 edited
    Sounds Rumanian, but I believe he's French. Perhaps he's even reading this board.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014
    Thor wrote
    While a Google search for 'Cyril Molesti' came up quite short (no website, no imdb, no nothing), it seems like it IS the right name -- a completely unknown and young composer. I say that because I found his facebook page, and on it he says how delighted he is to be nominated for the Young Composer award at WSA:

https://www.facebook.com/cyril.molesti

Who is this guy, and what did he do that made him such a 'discovery', according to the often weird academy of WSA?

Interesting..... :o
  2. To summarize this briefly

- Dan Romer's Beasts of the Southern Wild was excellent
    Francis Lai's selection brief but enjoyable enough
    Jeff Neve's In Flanders Fields the positive surprise of the evening
    Cliff Martinez's concert a pathetic joke and a fucking irritating shit experience

Basically the worst World Soundtrack Awards yet and a joke for the musical fan amongst us.

Oh, and don't get me started on the awards itself, getting more ridiculous each year face-palm-mt
  3. Go on, Thomas, give us your thoughts on the awards!

I'll get things started...who on earth is Cyril Molesti? I've never heard of him and haven't found anything by him at all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2014
    No mention of Bruno Coulais and Philippe Sarde? The only two composers there that I would be interested in.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. The Awards

Film Composer of the Year
    Alexandre Desplat
    Well, it's getting ridiculous to see him winning again and again. There were other strong contenders this year, and even though Desplat constantly delivers quality, it's soooo obvious he's the favorite of the board. 5 Wins now. Not even John Williams has achieved that. Nuff said crazy

Best Original Film Score of the Year
    The Grand Budapest Hotel (by Alexandre Desplat)
    Seriously? I think this says it all.

Best Original Song written directly for a Film
    ‘Happy’ from ‘Despicable Me 2’
    music & lyrics by Pharrell Williams
    performed by Pharrell Williams
    Well, let's just put aside the fact Pharrell is the most iconic song writer of the moment, Let is Go was award winning material this year.

Discovery of the Year
    Daniel Pemberton for 'Cuban Fury' & 'The Counselor'
    Pemberton's a good up and coming composer, but these these 2 scores never made it to anyone's top 10 list. Especially knowing we had Patrick Cassidy 'Calvary' and Steven Price 'Gravity' in the same list

Lifetime Achievement Award
    Francis Lai

Spotify Public Choice Award
    'Marina' (by Michelino Bisceglia)
    Nuff said, only one which was known to the populas (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug) and this small BELGIAN film gets the price. They don't even hide the fact they're influencing the winnings. Who in their right mind chooses this over The Hobbit?

Sabam Award for Young Composer
    Cyril Molesti
    Mostly everyone chose the other (UK) composer, but hell it seems they got a different taste than the main audience.

All in all, the awards are sooooooo European based, they're not even denying it anymore.
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Go on, Thomas, give us your thoughts on the awards!

I'll get things started...who on earth is Cyril Molesti? I've never heard of him and haven't found anything by him at all.

And Molesti was one of the 3 composers (young talents) that you can basically compare with a sport's team B-list players, young ones who are waiting on the sideline of their big break
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2014 edited
    To give a bit more context, instead of saying it's shit, here's my view...

The Martinez part was indeed disappointing. No live drum performances, no live electronics and not even live steel drums for Solaris. I had at least expected Martinez to perform something. However, it was just the orchestral parts that were played with in the background a tape of the electronics or percussion and ambient sounds. So what was left were orchestral pieces that were rarely very interesting, and focused on slow strings and sometimes brass. However pieces from Kafka and Wicker Park were quite good. I like Martinez' music especially when he's in this cool eletronic and ambient mode. I love Solaris and like Contagion a lot.

I just don't understand why a composer who's known for electronics and percussion gets a concert focused on his often not so interesting orchestral parts. I guess Brossé has something to do with this? He's rather classically oriented. A wrong choice IMO. But perhaps it's just not an interesting composer choice for a concert anyway. Many reasons. But the orchestral performances of the whole event were all excellent. The orchestra has really been improving every year.

It was a brave choice and I thought this would be an interesting concert, which is what I said in this thread before. But I'm disappointed with the result. It could've been a much more engaging show. I noticed people leaving during the Martinez part and also after the last piece was performed there was not much enthusiasm. It actually ended with a piece from Contagion, so the last few moments were just a tape of the electronics. I have never seen something like that before. Such a pity.

More about the other sections later.

But lets say the time with film music friends during the rest of the weekend was fantastic all the way through.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    No mention of Bruno Coulais and Philippe Sarde? The only two composers there that I would be interested in.

Both were supposed to be guests at the seminar but Sarde had to cancel. No reason was specified. A pity, I hope nothing health related. I'd love to have been more familiar with his music.

Coulais told the audience some very interesting things and showed fragments of some of the documentaries and movies he wrote music for. The first half of the seminar was spent on the Nouvelles Vagues idea in France, from where it comes and how it is used within movies. Interesting for sure but because Franch people don't feel comfortable speaking English, there was a translator. This slows down everything considerably. And she was not very good.

It didn't help it was organized a bit amateurishly.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Also the Nino Rota concert was a bit of a letdown. The first half was very good, excellent performances and all the classic themes and non-Felleni movies got great beautiful suites. The Godfather suite in particular was a highlight. The Felleni part started of with La Strada, which was good enough but what followed was a lot of circus and fanfare music... I don't know but this second half was not varied enough.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    On Saturday there was the meet & greet with Q&A. The moderator was Steve Chagollan of Variety. I don't know why the organization is so fond of him. He acts very strange, asks the questions we all heard before and uses the hyperbole-American-cliché language that makes me cringe. Please choose a more engaged person. I'm certainly not better at asking questions, but that's not my job either. But if it is your job to be the moderator in a panel, please be motivated.

I also hope the W in WSA next year will stand for what it should be because in recent years I find it very American-focused. Why should a song like Happy win? Isn't it better to only nominate songs that have been composed in collaboration with the composer of the movie. I'm sure a lot more variety would come up. Also the Public Choice Award gets weirder and weirder. And the Best Original Score has become the Best Desplat Score of the Year Award. It's really amazing that all these composers in the Academy vote time and time again for Desplat.

So all in all 2014 will go down as a rather disappointing edition. I feel a bit bad about saying it because it all looked interesting to me and I know a lot of work got into all these concerts and activities.

I don't know, something has to change. A lot went wrong. slant
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2014
    Sorry for all the complaining. It's because I love the festival so much, but it has disappointed me like never before.
    Kazoo
  6. Bregt wrote
    To give a bit more context, instead of saying it's shit, here's my view...

The Martinez part was indeed disappointing. No live drum performances, no live electronics and not even live steel drums for Solaris. I had at least expected Martinez to perform something. However, it was just the orchestral parts that were played with in the background a tape of the electronics or percussion and ambient sounds. So what was left were orchestral pieces that were rarely very interesting, and focused on slow strings and sometimes brass. However pieces from Kafka and Wicker Park were quite good. I like Martinez' music especially when he's in this cool eletronic and ambient mode. I love Solaris and like Contagion a lot.

I just don't understand why a composer who's known for electronics and percussion gets a concert focused on his often not so interesting orchestral parts. I guess Brossé has something to do with this? He's rather classically oriented. A wrong choice IMO. But perhaps it's just not an interesting composer choice for a concert anyway. Many reasons. But the orchestral performances of the whole event were all excellent. The orchestra has really been improving every year.

It was a brave choice and I thought this would be an interesting concert, which is what I said in this thread before. But I'm disappointed with the result. It could've been a much more engaging show. I noticed people leaving during the Martinez part and also after the last piece was performed there was not much enthusiasm. It actually ended with a piece from Contagion, so the last few moments were just a tape of the electronics. I have never seen something like that before. Such a pity.

More about the other sections later.

But lets say the time with film music friends during the rest of the weekend was fantastic all the way through.

Great review Bregt, you summarize it perfectly.

But I stick with my words. It's shit because this truly hurts the festival. And if they don't listen and acknowledge what the fans need, that will be the end of this great festival. And whoever thought Martinez would make a good concert is totally fucking nuts.

We need concert music, not ambiance. Knowing there are 50 different composers out there they could hire for a great evening makes this all the more dissapointing. What a shame angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fascinating insights guys and I enjoyed reading your views. A shame about Sarde not being able to be there, that would have really disappointed me if I'd been there.

Thomas, there is some Sarde on Spotify but considering his output it's very little and is missing some major works like Tess, Quest For Fire, Ghost Story, Fort Saganne and my favourite of all, Le Train, among many others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2014 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

But I stick with my words. It's shit because this truly hurts the festival. And if they don't listen and acknowledge what the fans need, that will be the end of this great festival. And whoever thought Martinez would make a good concert is totally fucking nuts.

We need concert music, not ambiance. Knowing there are 50 different composers out there they could hire for a great evening makes this all the more dissapointing. What a shame angry

Hmmm. I do not think we always need concert music. We have had Goldenthal, NH, Yared, Shore and Desplat the past few years, all very orchestral and concert-like music. So the announcement of Martinez looked like a refreshing choice concert-wise. However his music was not handled like the Hans Zimmer Inception concert with live electronics and percussion, a fantastic experience. I had expected something similar, with live percussion and electronics. So I do not agree that we have to have concert music only. Film music is more than that. And the organization has proven that before. They just made a wrong decision this year IMO.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2014
    Not much I can add. I feel pretty much the same as Bregt.

I'm a HUGE Martinez fan (and I'm delighted that I got to interview him -- episode coming soon!), but if you remove the electronics from his work, it isn't THAT exciting. His forte is weaving these electronic textures with certain acoustic elements now and then. OK, so they played some of the electronics on a backing track, but that's rather lazy. I'd rather have Martinez on stage and perform either synths or drums of some kind -- like Zimmer did with INCEPTION a couple of years ago. This poor selection of tracks (NOTHING whatsoever from DRIVE or SPRING BREAKERS, for example!) affected the experience.

I also think the audience was the laziest one I've ever heard - not only for the Martinez part, but everything.

Most emotional moment for me was when Francis Lai was moved to tears by the accolades (finally a LITTLE bit of enthusiasm from the crowd).

Beyond the film music event itself, though, what really made this trip for me was the social holiday things AROUND it. The dinner at Bregt's place on Friday complete with Disney song karaoke, the road trips to Ypres and Bruges, the endless amount of soup, the heavy solo partying at Brussel's top beer spot (2800 brands!) with complete strangers, the brewery tours (especially tasting the rare Westvleteren Trappist, which is only served at the abbey itself) etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. So, is this "Cliff Martinez at Film Festival Ghent" album not an ideal representation of his work?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cliff-Martinez- … p;sr=1-228
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2014 edited
    Yes, a cd has been released with the same selection like the concert, recorded back in September with the Brussels Philharmonic and Dirk Brossé. Last year's film festival release was excellent and based on the Scorsese in Concert performance.
    Kazoo
  8. Bregt wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Hmmm. I do not think we always need concert music. We have had Goldenthal, NH, Yared, Shore and Desplat the past few years, all very orchestral and concert-like music. So the announcement of Martinez looked like a refreshing choice concert-wise. However his music was not handled like the Hans Zimmer Inception concert with live electronics and percussion, a fantastic experience. I had expected something similar, with live percussion and electronics. So I do not agree that we have to have concert music only. Film music is more than that. And the organization has proven that before. They just made a wrong decision this year IMO.

Concert music for me does not mean written specifically for concert. Like the concert pieces Williams is known for.

However, concert music needs to add something. Emotion, passion. Themes or at least a melody. Not ambiance and stuff that's meandering along. Zimmer's music is not concert either, but it are themes, motifs and melodies that are interwoven in a spectacular design.

I don't need concert music. But I do require music, melodies that deliver something and tell me it's there. That we had the past couple of years plenty enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2015
    Here's last year's live performance at the World Soundtrack Awards for the great last piece of this score
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgl6GXtShM
    Kazoo