• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2014 edited
    Details for the Gent film festival have been announced. Central theme this year is a focus on French cinema and an expo about director Federico Fellini.

Four concerts/film music events are announced so far.

DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!
    Sunday 22 October at Vooruit (20:30)

Belgian band Arsenal will perform their music for a film project called Furu. It's a live performance of their music combined with some of their well known songs and tracks.

Go to the site for more info and tickets.

Film Music Industry Panels
    Thursday 24 October from 13:00 to 17:00 at Kinepolis

1. Film Music Festivals as a platform for composers
    Robert Townson (Varèse Sarabande), Dirk Brossé (Music Director FFG), Aubagne Film Festival, Dan Romer (‘Beasts of the Southern Wild’)

2. Publishing Film Music & Composers’ Rights
    Michael Todd & Simon Greenaway (ASCAP), Rick Clark (SilvaScreen), Emmanuel Chamboredon (Milan Records), Johann Johannsson (composer – ‘For Ellen’), Cyril Morin (composer - The Human Resources Manager)

3. Do’s and don’ts of Film Music Promotion
    Doreen Ringer-Ross (BMI), Cliff Martinez (composer – ‘Drive’, ‘Solaris’), Beth Krakower, Ray Costa, Chandler Poling (publicists)

4. Is the Future of Film Scoring in jeopardy?
    Steve Chagollan of Variety with Daniel Pemberton (composer – ‘The Counselor’) en Steven Price (composer – ‘Gravity’)

NINO ROTA CONCERT
    Thursday 23 October at De Bijloke

A concert dedicated to the music of Nino Rota. The first half focuses on his scores for director Fellini, while the second part brings music of his collaboration with Francis Coppola (The Godfather), Franco Zeffirelli (Romeo and Juliet) en Luchino Visconti (Rocco e i Suo i Fratelli; Il Gattopardo). Performed by the Brussels Philharmonic and conducted by Dirk Brossé.

FILM MUSIC SEMINAR about FRENCH CINEMA, with Thierry Jousse, Bruno Coulais and Phillipe Sarde
    Friday 24 October from 9:00 to 16:30 at Kinepolis

In collaboration with the School of Arts, Film Fest Gent organizes the yearly film music seminar, on Friday.

This year’s theme of the debate will be ‘French cinema’. Surrealism, Nouvelle Vague, Besson’s Cinema-du-look, poëtic realism…What is it that makes French cinema and it’s film music so unique? One thing is certain: there will be plenty to talk about.

MEET and GREET with Martinez, Lai, Romer and Neve
    Saturday 25 October at 13:00 at Monasterium Poortackere

Subscribe here for the Meet&Greet with Martinez, Lai, Romer and Neve on 25 October at 1PM at the great Monasterium Poortackere (Bregje stayed here once).

WORLD SOUNDTRACK AWARDS with CLIFF MARTINEZ and DAN ROMER
    Saturday 25 October at 't Kuipke

Dan Romer composed the music for Beasts of the Southern Wild and won the Discovery Award last year. Some of the music from this film will be performed.

The music of Cliff Martinez will be the focus in the concert part of the event, with a selection of music from his collaboration with Soderbergh. And there'll also be music from Drive, Only God Forgives and Spring Breakers too. He's the ex-drummer of Red Hot Chili Peppers. The concert will be performed by the Brussels Philharmonic and conducted by Dirk Brossé.

Francis Lai will be honoured in Gent for the Lifetime Achievement Award during the World Soundtrack Awards. A selection of his music will be performed as well. Jef Neve is the Flemish guest of this year, and he will perform on some pieces from the prestigious WWI series In Flanders Fields.

CHAPLIN'S THE CIRCUS CONCERT
    Sunday 26 October at 't Kuipke

Film Fest Gent (14 tot 25 oktober) celebrates in the Chaplin year 2014 the 100th anniversary of Carlot with a showings of two of his greatest movies; The Circus and The Gold Rush. A day after the WSA there will be an extra film music event with a family film concert of The Circus (1928) with Chaplin's score, performed live and conducted by Dirk Brossé.

More info about the festival can be found at their website: www.filmfestival.be/en/
    Kazoo
  1. How the hell would you even do a Martinez concert? Everyone playing keyboards?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2014
    Martinez in concert sounds great. I'm guessing it will be a synth/orchestral combo like the INCEPTION concert a couple of years ago.

But I'm surprised he (and Romer) are the only guests. Maybe I'm just used to the WSA having at least 3-4 top composers every time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    But I'm surprised he (and Romer) are the only guests. Maybe I'm just used to the WSA having at least 3-4 top composers every time.

Well. No name for the Lifetime Achievement Award yet (but perhaps that will be Nino Rota) and I'm sure many of the nominees will be present too!
    Kazoo
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    How the hell would you even do a Martinez concert? Everyone playing keyboards?

No, apparently they went through the trouble to orchestrate everything for orchestra
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Personally I don't know anything of Nino Rota (except the incredible theme of Romeo & Juliet). If people can point me towards several scores which I need to listen to before the concert?

I'm sure The Godfather will be a must wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote

Well. No name for the Lifetime Achievement Award yet (but perhaps that will be Nino Rota) and I'm sure many of the nominees will be present too!

I like Rota's work, but hopefully, they'll give the lifetime award to someone who's still alive! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Every score Rota did for Fellini:

LA STRADA
    IL BIDONE
    LA DOLCE VITA
    ROMA
    8 1/2 ...

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. O, and: IL GATTOPARDO
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    I hope more guests (and the lifetime Achievement Award).....
  6. Captain Future wrote
    Every score Rota did for Fellini:

LA STRADA
    IL BIDONE
    LA DOLCE VITA
    ROMA
    8 1/2 ...

Volker

Thanks Volker, I'll try to find them and start my quest there smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I would start with a compilation. There are several good ones out there.

This, for example (although it's mostly piano reductions).

And this one, which I have myself. A great album, and only $9, it seems (plus shipping).

Perhaps some of them are on Spotify for easier sampling.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2014 edited
    FILM FEST GENT LAUNCHES COOPERATION WITH SPOTIFY

The digital music streaming service Spotify and Film Gent have signed an exclusive partnership. The Spotify Public Choice Award for best score will be awarded by the public during the 14th edition of the World Soundtrack Awards. Spotify will also present the new music section of the film festival: Sound and Vision.
    In 2001 Film Fest Gent founded the World Soundtrack Awards, the most prestigious film music awards in the world. Each year the best contemporary soundtrack composers are recognised for their work. Due to this focus on film music, the festival soon became an annual meeting place for both internationally renowned and up and coming musical talents. The Spotify Public Choice Award will be one of the prizes given to the most popular soundtrack of a movie released between 1 July 2013 and 30 June 2014.

Valerie Dobbelaere, coordinator of the World Soundtrack Awards and the music projects at Film Fest Gent: "Thanks to the Spotify Public Choice Award, the World Soundtrack Academy consisting of 370 international film music professionals aren’t the only ones to award the best soundtrack of the past year, but the movie music fans around the world can also vote for their favourite score. By partnering up with Spotify, we hope to at least double the public votes in order to further strengthen the platform for international film music and give some well deserved attention to the film music composers.”

Here's the Film Fest Gent Spotify account/page with playlists for the concerts and the Sportify Public Choice Award
    http://open.spotify.com/user/filmfestgent
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2014
    Someone knows what composer is the Lifetime Achievement Award this year?
  7. Hi all, it has been a while. I am very busy.
    I just want to let you know I will be in Ghent this year and I have a VIP ticket for the WSA.
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014
    New concerts (also updated at the top of the page).

CHAPLIN'S THE CIRCUS CONCERT
    Sunday 26 October at 't Kuipke (15:00)

Film Fest Gent (14 tot 25 oktober) celebrates in the Chaplin year 2014 the 100th anniversary of The Tramp with a showings of two of his greatest movies; The Circus and The Gold Rush. A day after the WSA there will be an extra film music event with a family film concert of The Circus (1928) with Chaplin's score, performed live and conducted by Dirk Brossé.

DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!
    Sunday 22 October at Vooruit (20:30)

Belgian band Arsenal will perform their music for a film project called Furu. It's a live performance of their music combined with some of their well known songs and tracks.

Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014 edited
    Francis Lai will be honoured in Gent for the Lifetime Achievement Award during the World Soundtrack Awards. A selection of his music will be performed as well. Jef Neve is the Flemish guest of this year, and he will perform on some pieces from the prestigious WWI series In Flanders Fields.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2014
    Nice to see Lai getting the recognition he deserves
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014
    This year, there will be a Meet & Greet with the composers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm sure there will be one.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    Yes. I hope more composers
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014
    I hope it is not old news again as last time I tried to post something here :P

http://variety.com/2014/music/news/arca … 201281506/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2014 edited
    MEET and GREET with Martinez, Lai, Romer and Neve
    Saturday 25 October at 13:00 at Monasterium Poortackere

Subscribe here for the Meet&Greet with Martinez, Lai, Romer and Neve on 25 October at 1PM at the great Monasterium Poortackere (Bregje stayed here once)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2014 edited
    FILM MUSIC SEMINAR about FRENCH CINEMA, with Thierry Jousse, Bruno Coulais and Phillipe Sarde
    Friday 24 October from 9:00 to 16:30 at Kinepolis

In collaboration with the School of Arts, Film Fest Gent organizes the yearly film music seminar, on Friday.

This year’s theme of the debate will be ‘French cinema’. Surrealism, Nouvelle Vague, Besson’s Cinema-du-look, poëtic realism…What is it that makes French cinema and it’s film music so unique? One thing is certain: there will be plenty to talk about.

Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014
    The following composers will be present.
    Cliff Martinez, Dan Romer, Jef Neve, Francis Lai, Bruno Coulais & Philippe Sarde

Nominees have been invited so some of them might be there as well!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014
    Will Charlie Chaplin be there too? #lovezombies
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2014
    Film Music Industry Panels
    Thursday 24 October from 13:00 to 17:00 at Kinepolis

1. Film Music Festivals as a platform for composers
    Robert Townson (Varèse Sarabande), Dirk Brossé (Music Director FFG), Aubagne Film Festival, Dan Romer (‘Beasts of the Southern Wild’)

2. Publishing Film Music & Composers’ Rights
    Michael Todd & Simon Greenaway (ASCAP), Rick Clark (SilvaScreen), Emmanuel Chamboredon (Milan Records), Johann Johannsson (composer – ‘For Ellen’), Cyril Morin (composer - The Human Resources Manager)

3. Do’s and don’ts of Film Music Promotion
    Doreen Ringer-Ross (BMI), Cliff Martinez (composer – ‘Drive’, ‘Solaris’), Beth Krakower, Ray Costa, Chandler Poling (publicists)

4. Is the Future of Film Scoring in jeopardy?
    Steve Chagollan of Variety with Daniel Pemberton (composer – ‘The Counselor’) en Steven Price (composer – ‘Gravity’)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2014 edited
    Guest list
    during the last few days of the festival (23 to 25 October)

Bruno Coulais
    Philippe Sarde
    Cliff Martinez
    Dan Romer
    Francis Lai
    Steven Price
    Daniel Pemberton
    Patrick Cassidy
    Jérôme Lemonnier
    Hugo Lippens
    Cyril Molesti
    Moritz Schmittat
    Michelino Bisceglia
    Robin Foster
    Liam Bates
    Johann Johannson
    Alex Ebert
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2014 edited
    Programme World Soundtrack Awards

Part 1

- Fellini’s ‘Otto e Mezzo’, music composed by the three nominees for young Composer
    - Once There Was a Hushpuppy from ‘Beasts of the Southern Wild’ by Dan Romer

Francis Lai, Lifetime Achievement Award
    Main Theme from ‘Itinéraire d’un enfant gâté’ (1988)
    Main Theme’ from ‘Bilitis’ (1977)
    Main Theme from ‘Un Homme et Une Femme’ (1966)
    Theme from ‘Love Story’ (1970)

Part 2

Cliff Martinez
    ‘First Sleep’ & ‘We Don’t Have To Think Like that Anymore’ uit ‘Solaris’-
    ‘Les Territoires Inconnus’ uit ‘A l’origine’
    ‘Appelez moi Philippe’ uit ‘A l’origine’
    ‘Vous Aimez ces couleurs?’ uit ‘A l’origine’
    ‘Eddie’s Dead’ uit ‘Kafka’
    ‘More Hands’ uit ‘Only God Forgives’
    ‘The Mission is Over’ uit ‘Espion(s)’
    ‘I Don’t Know Any Nice People’ uit ‘Espion(s)’
    ‘Mind If I Use Your Ladies?’ uit ‘Espion(s)’ (percussion)
    ‘The Green Head’ uit ‘The Underneath’
    ‘Following Daniel’ uit ‘Wicker Park’
    ‘Father & Daughter Reunion’ uit ‘The Company You Keep’
    ‘Can’t Say I’m Happy To See You’ uit ‘The Company You Keep’
    ‘Contagion’ uit ‘Contagion’ (percussion)
    ‘Bad Day To Be A Rhesus Monkey’ uit ‘Contagion’ (percussion)

Jef Neve
    ‘Marie, Sehen Wir Uns Wieder?
    ‘War Scene’
    ‘Anthem For Our Fathers
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2014 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Part 1

- Fellini’s ‘Otto e Mezzo’, music composed by the three nominees for young Composer

Wait. They're asking young composers to re-compose the score for Fellini's masterpiece 8 1/2, in the same year as they're honouring Nino Rota?

Right...