• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008 edited
    We had this thread going over at Score Reviews and it was turning into a pretty interesting one. It came to me again today after making a call to a business and hearing the Star Wars theme as their hold tone. Best, hold tone, ever. cheesy

Edit: Another place I've heard (Star Wars) music - at a lazerquest. That was funny as hell. The Imperial March and all...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008
    Jerry Goldsmith's theme to Bandolero at Glastonbury Festival played by a five piece Peruvian band complete with pan pipes.....I kid you not! shocked cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Holy shizz! That sounds cool! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    When I was still in high school: I was walking through the assembly hall and the school orchestra was practicing. They were all still tuning their instruments individually and the trumpet player was playing the main theme from Jurassic Park. I remember that was just so cool! Keep in mind that at that time I didn't know anyone else who listened to filmmusic.

Another time at an open information day I was walking there and someone was playing Amelie on the piano... wow. It is such a wonderful experience when it comes unexpected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Lots of examples....but I remember the town hall bells here in Oslo playing the main theme from PINCHCLIFFE GRAND PRIX repeatedly around noon. It's one of Norway's most beloved films.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    I was visiting friends in Brescia - home of the Baretta arms company - in North East Italy. We were walking through the streets when we came across a busker playing panpipes (I kid you not). He did a passable rendition of Morricone's Main Titles to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    djdave wrote
    I was visiting friends in Brescia - home of the Baretta arms company - in North East Italy. We were walking through the streets when we came across a busker playing panpipes (I kid you not). He did a passable rendition of Morricone's Main Titles to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wow! shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I hope you gave that busker some money! spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Well, I remember hearing film music while waiting the metro in one of the stations.It was quite late at night and the score was Finding Neverland. Undoubtably the only time I didn't mind waiting in the station.
    Also I can tell you of a strange place I've played film music. Most of you know I'm an English teacher. This year I'm working with young learners.I have students as young as 5 years old!Sweet kiddos (when they don't make me mad!).So when they are writing tests I always play a selection of various score cues to help them relax and think better and believe me it works!It may no seem so strange to you but believe me for Greece and my current manager it is!Moreover, the children asked me to read Harry Potter in English to them and I read a part in the end of each lesson always accompanying my reading with that score of the films!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    Timmer wrote
    djdave wrote

Wow! shocked

Anthony wrote
    I hope you gave that busker some money! spin

As I remember, I gave him a couple of Euros. But my Italian friends have an even better story....they attended an evening Morricone concert at Verona ampitheatre. Now that's a WOW!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    That's the spirit, Stavroula! Get them started on good music when they're young!

The strangest place I've heard film music was at a campus food court last year. I was standing in line waiting to get my food and I was just watching people walk around and such. Then, I saw a guy dressed up as Captain Jack Sparrow complete with beard, boots, and dreadlocks. That was pretty funny in and of itself, but the best part was that he was carrying around a small stereo and was playing the theme from Pirates of the Caribbean! It gave everyone a good laugh. I've actually seen the guy dressed up and walking around a few times this year, but he hasn't had the stereo with him unfortunately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2008
    A very nice thread!

David wrotethe best part was that he was carrying around a small stereo and was playing the theme from Pirates of the Caribbean! It gave everyone a good laugh. I've actually seen the guy dressed up and walking around a few times this year, but he hasn't had the stereo with him unfortunately.

That is so cool! Perhaps this year he didn't want to draw these folks' attention. wink

As for the strangest place, for me it was in a bicycle repair shop in India back in the early 90s. I was getting a flat tire fixed at this place and I hear this fantastic music playing in his stereo. It left me stunned and intrigued to hear this meld of western and indian music at a road-side stall. They'd usually have the radio tuned on to some oldies hits. Anyway... that turned out to be A R Rahman's debut work- Roja. The whole country went crazy with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'll never forget seeing girls on tv (back in 1982) performing aqua aerobics to the DESERT CHASE cue from Raiders Of The Lost Ark! It was very weird but I thought it was cool hearing my favorite score being recognised or used in the mainstream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Last year we performed physical training exercises to "The Sinking" from Titanic for the school's anual field event. I thought it was a bit weird at first, but surprisingly, on the final day we managed to do it quite rhythmically in sync with the numerous brass bursts and cymbal crashes in the piece. Dad recorded it in the cam for happy memories' sake smile

And yeah, I actually heard a part of "The Carnotaur Attack" from Dinosaur (James Newton Howard) on a car commercial!! The part from (2:02) on the official soundtrack (with low ominous brass bursts and a rather fierce swell at end) sounded rather weird with that one, definitely!!
  1. On my toilet to be exact, but that was only because someone was calling me and my mobilphone tune is POTC 3 biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    On my toilet to be exact, but that was only because someone was calling me and my mobilphone tune is POTC 3 biggrin

Haha, that's happened to me as well, except my ring tone is the Indiana Jones theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2008 edited
    David wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    On my toilet to be exact, but that was only because someone was calling me and my mobilphone tune is POTC 3 biggrin

Haha, that's happened to me as well, except my ring tone is the Indiana Jones theme.

biggrin , same here, but my ring tone is the "Death Call Tune" from "One Missed Call" (the japanese one).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    David wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

biggrin , same here, but my ring tone is the "Death Call Tune" from "One Missed Call" (the japanese one).

Me too! My ringtone is Beowulf's theme biggrin
  2. BobdH wrote
    Marselus wrote
    David wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

Wow, we all got toilet phone calls, we are soulmates biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Eeeew....stop bringing your cell phones to the toilet!!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote

punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote

punk

Now, that's some shit ... indeed, for the toilet room. tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2008 edited
    I just got back from my first time lasergaming with friends, some kind of real-life action / shootout game in which you walk through a dark maze, with a lot of spacey lights and ditto music; a mix with a lot of synthesizers, ominous monologue, and of course with the odd movietheme thrown in! Snippets of the Twilight Zone theme were to be expected, and I believe there was a bit of Blade Runner too, but I was the most pleasantly surprised by hearing the opening titles of Jurassic Park, followed by Nedry Steals the Embryo's. Now that was awesome! Walking through the dark with a shotgun, and that music playing punk

Of course, I couldn't help myself and I had to give an outcry when I heard it, which my enemy heard and shot me, but still, it was cool biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2008
    Thor wrote

They're 'cell mates'! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    BobdH wrote
    the opening titles of Jurassic Park, followed by Nedry Steals the Embryo's. Now that was awesome! Walking through the dark with a shotgun, and that music playing punk

You mean Dennis? Or are you talking about a different score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregje wrote
    BobdH wrote
    the opening titles of Jurassic Park, followed by Nedry Steals the Embryo's. Now that was awesome! Walking through the dark with a shotgun, and that music playing punk

You mean Dennis? Or are you talking about a different score?

There's only one Jurassic Park, Bregje! And yeah, Dennis, but his last name is Nedry tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Oooooh....shouldn't that in the "bad pun" thread? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Oooooh....shouldn't that in the "bad pun" thread? wink

Hahaha, agree! biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. I was watching something on one of the satellite channels - some old BBC Kenny Everett programmes - and in one of the sketches there was an astronaut suited up in a toilet. And the joke of the piece was that he had to take off his antigrav shoes so he could float up to the urinals.

Anyway, the scene was set at the beginning of the sketch with Jerry Goldsmith's Alien!!

Maybe you had to have seen the sketch to really appreciate it!?!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2008
    Well I just got through to a company who put me on hold and their music was some of David Holmes's score to Ocean's Twelve. smile

Even stranger than the Star Wars one I think! dizzy