• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2008
    This great composer - and orchestrator/conductor of a large number of scores by other composers - has an "inspiring" (I guess) sports movie coming up:

OUR LADY OF VICTORY

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … ctory.html

Cheers,

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008 edited
    Has anyone heard My Dog Skip? I saw the movie recently, and I loved its score... the main theme is very beautiful and touching. I haven't bought the score album yet, but I requested to add it at StreamingSoundtracks biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. Miya wrote
    Has anyone heard My Dog Skip? I saw the movie recently, and I loved its score... the main theme is very beautiful and touching. I haven't bought the score album yet, but I requested to add it at StreamingSoundtracks biggrin

it is cute, yet not special. Ross wrote much better material for The Black Stallion!
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Miya wrote

it is cute, yet not special. Ross wrote much better material for The Black Stallion!

And where else? (in need of William Ross suggestions)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    The Games Of Their Lives
    September Dawn
    Tuck Everlasting (packed with temp-track influences though)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have the first 2, never heard of the last one. What temp-track influences are we talking here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    You can notice a lot of Thomas Newman (surprise surprise) and I remember some Last Of The Mohicans rips too.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    I have the first 2, never heard of the last one. What temp-track influences are we talking here?

indeed Tuck Everlasting is packed with serious temptracks of Last of the Mohicans and The Horse Whisperer, but I can't deny they sound wonderful
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Doesn't sound too bad wink
  3. trust me, normally I hate temptracks, but it is so lovely done and it chose really great temptracks I don't mind at all wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    From what I've heard, a lot of Ross' work for Jay Russell is temp-tracked beforehand. There is a cue from Ladder 49 which sounds identical to one from Horner's The Devil's Own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My Dog Skip is, I believe, subtitled "Variations on Jerry Goldsmith's theme from Rudy"
  4. Main Title is inspired by Horner, yes. One of the action cues sounds like Silvestri too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I think The Game Of Their Lives is the best score he's done. It's incredibly moving in parts and has a lovely inspirational tone throughout, kind of like Rudy but not a copy of it like you'd expect. I also agree with Thomas - don't let the temp-tracking put you off Tuck Everlasting, it really is a very nice score.
  5. LSH wrote
    I also agree with Thomas - don't let the temp-tracking put you off Tuck Everlasting, it really is a very nice score.

wow, somebody knows my true name over here tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Miya wrote

IMHO, My Dog Skip is one of the best Ross has done. Young Black Stallion is a temp track lovers dream. I can't stand it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Miya wrote

IMHO, My Dog Skip is one of the best Ross has done. Young Black Stallion is a temp track lovers dream. I can't stand it!

-Erik-

It's indeed Young Black Stallion, but the way he temp tracks Goldsmith's The Mummy is very exciting
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    It's indeed Young Black Stallion, but the way he temp tracks Goldsmith's The Mummy is very exciting

Aha. Yes, The Mummy. You know where it is even more exciting to hear portions of The Mummy? in THE MUMMY! Temp tracks suck and The Mummy has no business being in Ross' score.

Why is it that director don't want to have an original musical voice for there films anymore? Frustrating!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'll tell you what - if you've heard a William Ross score and you don't think it's 100% temp track arrangements then that's only because you've never heard the scores he's ripping off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    I'll tell you what - if you've heard a William Ross score and you don't think it's 100% temp track arrangements then that's only because you've never heard the scores he's ripping off.

That's my case biggrin I started listening to various scores just a few years ago, so there are so many scores I haven't listened out there. They will be pleasures for my rest of life... wink

Anyway, temp tracked or not, I think My Dog Skip score was what this kind of movies should have... tearjerking beautiful music (in a good way). I love it biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Temp tracks suck.

-Erik-

Then you must really hate a lot of scores tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008
    I watched the HP and the Chamber of Secrets film and I was surprised to find that a huge many portions from the first score were tracked straight into the CoS film's scenes. I was surprised as to why John Williams to do that, but at that time I did not know that Ross had arranged most of the score tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008
    Don't know about you guys, but I wonder if this isn't going to be one of the best scores of 2008:

http://www.impawards.com/2008/tale_of_despereaux.html

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Why?
    confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Because William Ross is one of the most underrated and talented composers, and the film seems to be of the kind that could result in a very inspired, entertaining, beautiful and exciting orchestral score!

That's why! cool

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I like Ross'work a lot, but I'm not 100% sure this project would bring out the best in anyone (but heck, I'm just basing my suspicions on a movie poster and the intended release date, so I may easily be proven wrong).

Hmmmm... might there perchance already be a distributor for the score contracted?
    A small, independent one in Scandinavia, mayhap?
    wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Just wanted to say that i've been playing SEPTEMBER DAWN non-stop all week and it's absolutely gorgeous, a very sentimental experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Martijn wroteHmmmm... might there perchance already be a distributor for the score contracted?
    A small, independent one in Scandinavia, mayhap?
    wink

Hehe. Well, that would have been awesome, but I'm pretty sure one of the major labels will pick this one up... after all it's a Christmas release and it's a major studio behind it, Universal.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008
    Great, overlooked composer.

I am currently playing his Young Black Stallion which holds up there with MULAN or The Prince of Egypt, brilliantly middle-eastern colored orchestral score, with sweeping strings and bold thematic statements you rarely hear. Lyrical and beautiful, it's so surprising this composer is so little talked about.
  8. "The Tale of Despereaux" is recorded.

I had to ask about it, since I am interested in what Ross does. One of the things I specifically asked about is if there was any mickey-mousing, and there is a little.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.