• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011
    He, he....cute logo.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, to be honest the goat is a public domain clip art. The rest of the logo was all me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. All hail the goat.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hehe excellent! Nice gesture Erik smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Either way, it is impossible to believe that I've done so much if you consider you have to hear each score twice, while passing up so many others you've listened to without writing a review about them. Goes to show how much time we truly spend on reviewing and listening to new music

I know... it's a miracle I find the time to have sex with as many beautiful women as I do.

biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. franz_conrad wrote
    All hail the goat.

now we have Looza and Goats. Filmmusic has never sounded so appealing to me dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011
    Cool new layout. Thanks James and will look at the capsule reviews to see what's out there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012
    Incredibly, it is now 15 years since I started Movie Wave. I'd never have thought it would keep going for this long. It wouldn't surprise me if I hadn't written more soundtrack reviews than anyone else in history (there will be about 150 new ones this year alone - and for the most part I was far more prolific until about five years ago) so it's a miracle I'm still no good at it.

Anyway, do check out my latest review, of perhaps the very finest soundtrack I've reviewed in all that time - Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3027
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012
    Congratulations! Movie-wave is the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012
    I've been a reader of Movie Wave for over a decade and all I can say is James, THANK YOU!!!
    Always an informative (and fun) read.
    Your review for Star Trek: The Motion Picture (my favourite score) is a fantastic addition too!
    Congratulations and keep up the great work!
  4. Great reviews, James. You sparked some controversy, I don't always agree with you, sometimes you shocked me with your rating (Inception!). And I am still waiting for that The Thin Red Line review!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    Incredibly, it is now 15 years since I started Movie Wave. I'd never have thought it would keep going for this long. It wouldn't surprise me if I hadn't written more soundtrack reviews than anyone else in history (there will be about 150 new ones this year alone - and for the most part I was far more prolific until about five years ago) so it's a miracle I'm still no good at it.

Anyway, do check out my latest review, of perhaps the very finest soundtrack I've reviewed in all that time - Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3027

Great review James, loved it. A lot of Vaughan Williams influences in this score ( Herrmann was also heavily influenced by RVW ), I'm guessing you are not familiar enough with the composer to notice this? I agree with you on the main theme, I adored this when I saw the film at the cinema on release but it's use in 'Next Generation' watered it down for me, still, I guess it's great that due to that it is JG's most famous piece, without it's use in 'Next Generation' it would merely be a fan favourite with no public recognition.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012 edited
    My favourite review site. Discovered it more than a decade ago, so have been a long time reader.

I've always felt that most review sites have reviews that are too long, and I often can't be bothered to read them. Filmtracks for instance provides very good and well-researched reviews, but when I click on a review and I see that huge wall of text, it has to be a score I'm intensely interested in, before I start reading. Conversely I often feel that Southall's are a bit too short, but that's just because he's so entertaining to read.

Peter smile
  5. Yeah, Christian Clemmensen's reviews tend to be nice and long. They are always worth your attention, though. But if you wanne see real long reviews, check out Craig Lysy's in depth analysis of Golden Age scores over a Movie Music UK.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. Yeah this site and Broxton's are the only ones I go to. Not really a fan of Filmtracks...
  7. Hope to read your reviews for 15 years and more James smile
    Keep up the great work
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013
    Every man and his dog seems to be naming his best of everything at the moment - and a bandwagon can't get within twenty miles of me without getting a new passenger.

So, here's my top ten list for 2012 film scores, headed by something which isn't a film score--

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3099
  8. I like the fact that you've not only rounded up with the best, but have given brief thoughts on the rest -- including reasons why they're not there.

And I can't really argue with you on JOURNEY. That one has spent a lot of time in my player too. COSMOPOLIS would be up there for me too.

punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. So cool to see three (four?) of my favorite scores of the year on that list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've said this before but I'm totally amazed at the output considering the fact that he also works full time. I'm still struggling to get my first review done this year.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    I've said this before but I'm totally amazed at the output considering the fact that he also works full time. I'm still struggling to get my first review done this year.
    Tom

Thanks Tom - it's such a labour of love. I wish I had more time to do it though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I like the list James. I liked Journey, but I didn't have the vibe you seem to have with it. Certainly a very pretty score. I must say that I also think Argo was probably my favourite of Desplat in 2012 (Moonrise Kingdom is a great one too!). Rise of the Guardians is just ... very good music. I never warmed up for The Impossible and Cloud Atlas.

I think you shouldn't stop reviewing Zimmer, but I understand why you would.

But why not link to the actual reviews? Easy in WordPress and cross-linking makes it easier to navigate.
    Kazoo
  10. I'm still waiting for Broxton's review of For Greater Glory.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013
    Hell, I'm still waiting for Southall's review of Deathly Hallows Part II so he can complete the Harry Potter series. wink

(If I remember correctly, he thought the score was average.)
  11. Bregt wrote
    I like the list James. I liked Journey, but I didn't have the vibe you seem to have with it. Certainly a very pretty score. I must say that I also think Argo was probably my favourite of Desplat in 2012 (Moonrise Kingdom is a great one too!). Rise of the Guardians is just ... very good music. I never warmed up for The Impossible and Cloud Atlas.

I think you shouldn't stop reviewing Zimmer, but I understand why you would.

But why not link to the actual reviews? Easy in WordPress and cross-linking makes it easier to navigate.

I also agree about the Hans reviews and to be completely honest, also other Zimmer fans (saying that as one myself) totally overacted in the comments. That was totally uncalled for.
  12. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I'm still waiting for Broxton's review of For Greater Glory.

You are? I'd consigned that to the"it's too late to review it now" pile.
  13. It' s never too late for a Horner review. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013
    Southall wrote
    Every man and his dog seems to be naming his best of everything at the moment - and a bandwagon can't get within twenty miles of me without getting a new passenger.

You've been reading too much Filmtracks. wink That board has plenty of nice people who write interesting posts, but they sure have a funny obsession with making lists.

Southall wrote
    So, here's my top ten list for 2012 film scores, headed by something which isn't a film score--

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3099

I have very few scores from this year. But after reading that top ten, you've practically forced me to get some more.

Anyway, don't take the Zimmer thing personally. It's a shame to see a person one admires act poorly; but film composers are people too, with the occasional bad days and an ego to protect. I can sympathize with film composers sometimes reacting poorly towards critics, considering how much time, thought, blood, sweat and tears they put into their work, and then see it criticized by someone who wasn't present during the long, arduous process. But as a famous composer he should indeed have thicker skin and expect harsh criticism, without getting his panties in a twist.

Peter smile
  14. Peter, it wasn't about the negative review itself (Hans seemed to be cool with that, though I think the way he put it, that James "didn't get it", didn't exactly sound right), but about James stating that Balfe wrote the thematic suites, which are *always* Zimmer's own doing.

The problem was that Hans was feeling slandered (and it's not my own interpretation, I'll just abstain from explaining why I am saying so, it's enough that everyone intimately interested in the situation knows why) by a statement that he does much less than he really does, that's all.
  15. Are we sure it was Zimmer himself who wrote that post? Most of those social networking pages are run by fans or the artist's representation, and the tone of it sounded more like a kid sticking up for a bullied friend than a historically successful Hollywood composer. Maybe it really is as simple as he saw James' review, got hacked off and decided to address it personally, but I have to think he has better things to do.