• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2014 edited
    A new idea for a list?

Simple rules:-

One track and one track only per post though feel free to do multiple postings ( try not to overwhelm if so inclined wink )

No repeating anyone else's choices

Film themes, TV themes, Game themes, Incidental music...all is welcome!

No source or pre-existing music

No choices that don't exist on LP, CD or Download

A little comment regarding your choice

Feel free to comment on the choices of others

And without further ado here's the first choice...

# 1 THE ECSTASY OF GOLD from Ennio Morricone's THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY

In my opinion the greatest piece of incidental music ever written for film, exhilarating, exciting and god damned orgasmic! Pure film music genius.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2014
    I'm hoping most here will join in on this thread. I'll keep a tally every 10 choices or so.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. But ... but ... you will expand that other list no 100 or will you?

OK, that one is easy:

# 1 LEIA'S NEWS / LIGHT OF THE FORCE from John Williams' RETURN OF THE JEDI

The greatest statement of the FORCE theme that also is the theme of OBI WAN. This affects my most solemn convictions.

And the Light shineth in Darkness; And the Darkness comprehended it not.

Btw: I can see this will be pretty much a repetition of said other list.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Genesis Countdown James Horner

Perhaps my single favourite Horner cue. Film music doesn't get better than this. It gets different, sure. But not better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    When it comes to individual tracks, it's basically impossible to do a ranking. Much more difficult than listing whole soundtracks. But of course, I could very well post great tracks now and then.

I've also had a similar idea for a topic for quite some time where we list the great 'setpiece' tracks from scores rather than the main themes. Curiously, that hasn't been done very often. So tracks here would envelop both main themes and such setpiece tracks.

Anyways....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind The Visitors/Bye/End Titles John Williams

If you don't love this, you shouldn't be on this forum. Or allowed to live.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

Perhaps my single favourite Horner cue. Film music doesn't get better than this. It gets different, sure. But not better.

I think "Battle in the Mutara Nebula" is slightly better, I have to say...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    As for my single favourite Horner cue... well, obviously... "Ride of the Firemares". Film music doesn't get better than this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Favourite Horner cue is extremely difficult, but if I had to choose with a gun to my head:

"An Odd Discovery Beyond the Trees" from THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    An odd discovery indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2014 edited
    Goldsmith's The Enterprise from Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Sweeping, grand, PERFECT! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    When it comes to individual tracks, it's basically impossible to do a ranking. Much more difficult than listing whole soundtracks. But of course, I could very well post great tracks now and then.

I've also had a similar idea for a topic for quite some time where we list the great 'setpiece' tracks from scores rather than the main themes. Curiously, that hasn't been done very often. So tracks here would envelop both main themes and such setpiece tracks.

Anyways....

Don't worry about rankings, that isn't what this thread is about despite me starting off with an obvious big hitter. Anyway, someone else might post a track you wanted at #'s 2, 3, 4 etc etc, and as I stipulated, no repeats!

I prefer hearing peoples "set pieces" choices than main themes but main themes are welcome too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Here's the first great example of being beaten to the punch. I was going to choose this one soon. Glad to see I was beaten to it. cool

Great as Battle In The Mutara Nebula is I take Genesis Countdown over it, it is just brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    But ... but ... you will expand that other list no 100 or will you?

I don't see why not? We'll see.

Captain Future wrote
    Btw: I can see this will be pretty much a repetition of said other list.

Not at all. In the "other" list I chose Star Trek III yet I reckon Genesis Countdown is possibly the best track of the two Horner scores.
  2. Timmer wrote
    ...and as I stipulated, no repeats!

So, I assume that someone is going to keep track of what's posted and put a list at the top of this thread? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    When I saw this topic it got me thinking about what I could put and I was looking through some of my favourite tracks. And this got me revisiting - again - my favourite TV themes from over the years. I know that now this thread is for "set piece" tracks and so I'll keep the TV themes choices for elsewhere, but it was interesting for me to choose my Top 10 TV themes and I find that these fall into a 10-year period that's probably indicative of my impressionable years (and if it hadn't been for my #10 it would have been just 5 years).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. And I suppose that I should choose a track...

"The Blooding" from Jerry Goldsmith's THE FINAL CONFLICT

There are a couple of things that particularly stick out as to why I love this track. Firstly, it's just such a fantastic piece of music and draws so much drama into the scene(s) as well as showing off that fantastic theme in a couple of different ways (on solo brass and then in that superb full orchestra and chorus at the conclusion of the track).

And another thing I love about the track is that adds drama to such a ludicrous scene. I think that only Goldsmith could turn a pack of beagles having a great time licking and playing with an actor into a pack of rabid hounds ripping the guy apart (perhaps some better direction would have convinced the audience visually a bit more!)

BTW, there are so many tracks from this score that I could have chosen but, ultimately, this is the one that showcases Goldsmith's talent and the art of scoring adding to the picture.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have a choice from The Final Conflict too. Not your one, great as is, but I have one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ...and as I stipulated, no repeats!

So, I assume that someone is going to keep track of what's posted and put a list at the top of this thread? wink

I'm going to try and keep up and post regular updated lists.
  4. Timmer wrote
    I have a choice from The Final Conflict too. Not your one, great as is, but I have one.

You better get in there quick. There was another choice I thought of making - another fantastic track.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Go for it, I'm not precious wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    OK, that one is easy:

# 1 LEIA'S NEWS / LIGHT OF THE FORCE from John Williams' RETURN OF THE JEDI

Yep.
    That.
    Without question.

One of the most cathartic pieces of film music, with a deeply moving sense of resolution.
    I think the Captain put it beautifully, and I couldn't agree more.

EDIT:
    Timmer wrote
    Simple rules:-
    No repeating anyone else's choices

Oops. shame
    That's gonna be tough... sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    The Classics:

I know there are lots and lots of great tracks out there, both very loud and epic, but I have to go for this one, because it just makes me dream about ancient times...

El Cid - Banishment/Forgiveness - Miklos Rozsa
  5. The Era When I Got Into Filmmusic:

Damn, I would have said Star Trek TMP - The Enterprise, too. Beyond that, this is very hard, because there are so many. Oh, soooo many. Okay, then I think I´ll have to go with...

E.T. - Adventure On Earth (from the Original Album) - John Williams
  6. The Zimmer Era:

The Da Vinci Code - Chevalier de Sangreal
    - Hans Zimmer

Probably one of his best themes ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Those last two you mentioned, Ralph, are some of my favourites as well.

For me, it is perhaps easier to do this by composer, but I can just throw them all together in a mix.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BEN'S DEATH AND TIE FIGHTER ATTACK from John Williams STAR WARS

This is so thumpy, it's like getting thumped in the head if thumping in the head was good. I'll shut up.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

You better get in there quick. There was another choice I thought of making - another fantastic track.

Here's my choice Alan. I'm betting it isn't your choice.

THE SECOND COMING from Jerry Goldsmith's THE FINAL CONFLICT

Wonderous and mystical, Goldsmith channelling Maurice Ravel is great in my book.

Let's be honest though, the whole bloody score is brilliant.
  7. Good choice Tim. But you are right, it wouldn't be my next choice from that excellent score.