• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2014 edited
    My track of the day:

CAST AWAY -- "Cast Away" -- Alan Silvestri

This track continues to touch me every time, even though it doesn't hold anything back in terms of its direct harmonic structure. I rediscovered the soundtrack (promo) a few months back, as I was doing my Silvestri episode on Celluloid Tunes, and I've played it numerous times since. While the end credits is more of a suite, this track is the core of the whole thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2014
    THE FAREWELL SCENE from John Williams NIXON

The Farewell Scene

I think that only Thomas Newman comes close to JW when it comes to poignant music, IMO nobody but nobody does it better. This is just so incredibly poignant and final. Truly sublime writing. ( Thor would choose the also excellent Meeting With Mao )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2014 edited
    Here's everyone's choices so far...

1) The Ecstasy of Gold - THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Ennio Morricone ( Timmer )
    2) Leia's News / Light of The Force - RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    3) Genesis Countdown - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( Steven )
    4) The Visitors / Buy / End Titles - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams ( Steven )
    5) Ride of The Firemares - KRULL - James Horner ( Southall )
    6) An Odd Discovery Beyond The Trees - THE BOY IN THE STRIPPED PYJAMAS - James Horner ( Thor )
    7) The Enterprise - STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    8) The Blooding - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( FalkirkBairn )
    9) Banishment / Forgiveness - EL-CID - Miklos Rozsa ( Ralph Kruhm )
    10) Adventures On Earth - E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    11) Chevalier de Sangreal - THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer ( Ralph Kruhm )
    12) Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack - STAR WARS - John Williams ( Timmer )
    13) The Second Coming - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( Timmer )
    14) The Asteroid Field - STAR WARS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Erik Woods )
    15) Homer Goes Upstairs - THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - Hugo Friedhofer ( sdtom )
    16) 007 And Counting - DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    17) The Great Eaton - THE LADY IN THE WATER - James Newton Howard ( Steven )
    18) Redemption - FLATLINERS - James Newton Howard ( Captain Future )
    19) Mona - MONA, L'ETOILE SANS NOM - Georges Delerue ( Captain Future )
    20) The Desert - SEVEN - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    21) Main Titles / End Titles - LO IMPOSSIBLE - Fernando Velazquez ( Demetris )
    22) You Are The Pan - HOOK - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    23) I Had A Farm In Africa - OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry ( John Chambers )
    24) Welcome To Jurassic Park - JURASSIC PARK - John Williams ( John Chambers )
    25) Motel - PETULIA - John Barry ( Timmer )
    26) Prelude - VERTIGO - Bernard Herrmann ( John Chambers )
    27) Title Theme - HUCKLEBERRY FINN AND HIS FRIENDS - Ted Ottley ( Captain Future )
    28) The Vast Continent - THE HORSE WHISPERER - Thomas Newman ( markrayen )
    29) Forbidden Friendship - HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - John Powell ( Edmund Meinerts )
    30) My Noble Knight - THE MIGHTY - Trevor Jones ( Justin boggan )
    31) Decent Into Mystery - BATMAN - Danny Elfman ( Artworks )
    32) The Leaving / The Search - CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris ( Plindboe )
    33) Keehar's Theme - WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley ( Justin boggan )
    34) The Lighting of The Beacons - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Jim Ware )
    35) Lillian's Heart Attack - BRAINSTORM - James Horner - ( Timmer )
    36) Ascension - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Captain Future )
    37) Prelude / Romanza - WITCHFINDER GENERAL - Paul Ferris ( Martijn )
    38) The Brides - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Stavroula )
    39) Dance of The Blue Wonder - SPACEAGE - Jay Chattaway ( Justin boggan )
    40) The Other Side - GATTACA - Michael Nyman ( Bregt )
    41) Magic Snow Music - BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER - Christophe Beck ( Justin boggan )
    42) Battle of The Salt Plains - THE BALLAD OF BIG AL - Benjamin Bartlett ( Timmer )
    43) Triumph/Celebration/Massacre - THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE - Dmitri Tiomkin ( Captain Future )
    44) Final Salute - HART'S WAR - Rachel Portman ( FalkirkBairn )
    45) The Creation of Fire - QUEST FOR FIRE - Philip Sarde - ( Timmer )
    46) Building The Crate - CHICKEN RUN - Harry Gregson Williams & John Powell ( Steven )
    47) ???????? - BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES - Shirley Walker ( Justin boggan )
    48) Bud On The Ledge - THE ABYSS - Alan Silvestri ( Thor )
    49) Journey To Blofeld's hideaway - ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry ( Timmer )
    50) Main Title - TWIN PEAKS - Angelo Badalamenti ( Thor )
    51) Surprise Attack - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( FalkirkBairn )
    52) Aliyah - IN SEARCH OF PEACE - Lee Holdridge ( Justin boggan )
    53) Funeral de Juan - LOS BORGIAS - Angel Illaramendi ( Thor )
    54) Rainhammers - THE ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman ( sdtom )
    55) Stone In My Heart - THE THIN RED LINE - Hans Zimmer ( PawelStroinski )
    56) Freight Train - THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN - James Horner ( Justin boggan )
    57) Final Duel - STAR WARS THE REVENGE OF THE TIM - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    58) End Credits - THELMA & LOUISE - Hans Zimmer ( Captain Future )
    59) All About Faith - THE PROPHECY - David C. Williams ( Justin boggan )
    60) The End of All Things - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Artworks )
    61) Clark Farm Shootout - RIDE WITH THE DEVIL - Mychael Danna ( Steven )
    62) Morning On The Ranch - THE RED PONY - Aaron Copland ( sdtom )
    63) Shifting Gears - BULLIT - Lalo Schifrin ( Timmer )
    64) Pursuit of The Pimp Mobile - TRUCK TURNER - Isaac Hayes ( Timmer )
    65) Fall of The South - GONE WITH THE WIND - Max Steiner ( Captain Future )
    66) The Wreck - UNBREAKABLE - James Newton Howard ( Justin boggan )
    67) Chinon / Eleanor's Arrival - THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    68) The Boy Who Accepted The Star - HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE - Joe Hisaishi ( The Grey Pilgrim )
    69) The Ice Dance - EDWARD SCISSORHANDS - Danny Elfman ( Thor )
    70) The River Crossing To Stalingrad - ENEMY AT THE GATES - James Horner ( Steven )
    71) Ride To The Nazi Hideout - RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - John Williams ( Steven )
    72) The Flying Circus - THE ROCKETEER - James Horner ( Erik Woods )
    73) Hand of Fate - Part 1 & 2 - SIGNS - James Newton Howard ( Artworks )
    74) Be With You - THE HAPPENING - James Newton Howard ( Demetris )
    75) Underwater Mayhem / Death of Largo / End Titles - THUNDERBALL - John Barry ( Timmer )
    76) Cast Away - CAST AWAY - Alan Silvestri ( Thor )
    77) The Farewell Scene - NIXON - John Williams ( Timmer )
    78) The Planet Krypton - SUPERMAN THE MOVIE - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    79) Andante Cantabile - THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR - Bernard Herrmann ( FalkirkBairn )
    80) On The Tumbril / The Getaway - THE OMEGA MAN - Ron Grainer ( Justin boggan )
    81) Hymn To Red October - THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER - Basil Poledouris
    82) Dream Is Collapsing - INCEPTION - Hans Zimmer ( Artworks )
    83) Chateau Swashbuckler - THE MATRIX RELOADED - Don Davis ( Steven )
    84) Mountain Top / Sunrise - JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH - Bernard Herrmann ( Timmer )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    THE FAREWELL SCENE from John Williams NIXON

The Farewell Scene

I think that only Thomas Newman comes close to JW when it comes to poignant music, IMO nobody but nobody does it better. This is just so incredibly poignant and final. Truly sublime writing. ( Thor would choose the also excellent Meeting With Mao )

Indeed. You read my mind! ("Can You Read My Mind?").
    I am extremely serious.
  1. And another one by John Williams:

THE PLANET CRYPTON from SUPERMAN the MOVIE

This is a cousin of Obi Wan's Theme (The Force) from STAR WARS. Just as elegant and upflifting. A highlight in a score that floweth over with highlights.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Timmer wrote
    I did it for him Erik. ( I hope I haven't overstepped a mark, let me know if it is to remain only as part 1, Lars? )

No, you haven't. I was going to include part 2, since they are basically one big cue, however I remembered that we were only allowed to post one smile And I've always liked part 1 better than part 2 smile
  2. They flow beautifully into each other though, Part 1 is all intensity and confrontation, Part 2 is the calm, soothing denouement that follows. It should definitely be considered as one piece - it's one of those rare "a score all to itself" cues. I'd submit Trevor Jones' "You Have the Power" from Dark City as another strong entry into that category. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    My track of the day:

This track continues to touch me every time, even though it doesn't hold anything back in terms of its direct harmonic structure. I rediscovered the soundtrack (promo) a few months back, as I was doing my Silvestri episode on Celluloid Tunes, and I've played it numerous times since. While the end credits is more of a suite, this track is the core of the whole thing.

Definitely agree, gorgeous track.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is this your next choice Edmund or do you just mean that in context with the JNH piece?
  3. Just comparing it to the JNH piece. It's a fantastic cue (both are), but I don't think I'd include either in my List of Lists. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    My track of the day:

Definitely agree, gorgeous track.

There's a lot of great Silvestri tracks ( I haven't chosen one yet ) but this one isn't one of them. It's nice enough but doesn't float my football.
  4. "Andante Cantabile" from Bernard Herrmann's THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR

http://youtu.be/foMfMbOdL30

This is such a beautiful piece of music from Herrmann, written for a film which was far more enjoyable than I was expecting. To me, it's a mix of romance and sadness that fits right in with the themes of the film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2014
    What an absolutely fantastic thread! There are so many classic composers I haven't even formed an opinion of and groundbreaking scores I've never heard. I'm really excited to broaden my horizons a bit here. Thanks for keeping that running list Timmer, 11 pages is kind of overwhelming. Off to track down 80 cues. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2014 edited
    My first: The Shape Of Things To Come from Bear McCreary's Battlestar Galactica.

This is my most-listened-to track. Something about it has become ingrained in me and is completely soothing.
  5. "The Omega Man"
    Cue: On the Tumbril (titled On the Tumbril/The Getaway on the FSM re-issue)
    Composer: Ron Grainer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7cnyHZ9ak0

While I'm fairly sure it's three seperate cues, they just kind of go together. It's a one-of-a-kind film score I have yet to hear the like of again from film, TV, documentaries, etc., no matter how obscure. Not even, in what I've heard so far, from Grainer again.

They don't make 'em like this anymore. I dare say they can't make 'em like this anymore even if tried.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My track of the day:

HUNT FOR THE RED OCTOBER -- "Hymn to Red October" -- Basil Poledouris

Sure, it's a pretty straightforward pastiche of Russian hymns -- and I'm sure there are loads better and more famous in music history -- but this is my own personal benchmark in that regard. Plus, I'm a sucker for choral music and all-male voices. I'm sure there are bound to be more choral music in my picks in the future.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Awesome track, great score! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    My choice today is "Dream is Collapsing" from "Inception" (Hans Zimmer).

I like it, because it's a powerful piece, and especially the "slowing down part" (sorry, don't know the musical term for that) at 1:30 - that's very cool! smile In general I think the whole score had a unique sound to it, that really worked well in the movie.

And then there's of course the whole "BRAAAM" thing biggrin
  6. I just wrapped up a paragraph about it I was writing (about this track). I love how it's basically Zimmer filtered through John Barry (in the James Bond style) and Edith Piaf. Only he could have done it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Inception is one of the milestones in his career. Perhaps the last one so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    The Spotify playlist has been updated with the choices so far. And as I said, everything is sadly not available, but most of it is...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Matrix Reloaded Chateau Swashbuckling The Don Davis

There are countless brilliant cues to choose from in The Matrix films, but this one stands out in particular (especially as it was rejected).

The clue is in the name, as he manages to meld his signature sound of The Matrix into a genuinely brilliant, stand-alone swashbuckling piece. But it's only when you see it in context do you realise just how brilliant this cue is.

I've shown this to a few civilian, non-film music-y people, and the reaction is always incredibly positive-- It's my 'This Is Why I Love Film Music' go-to scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Speaking of why I love film music:

Star Wars Minus Williams - Throne Room
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Throne room is one of the finest film music pieces ever written and that scene alone without it, is empty and meaningless indeed. As for MATRIX, it was Davis' magnus opus, just like Shore's LOTR scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Speaking of why I love film music:

Star Wars Minus Williams - Throne Room

Everytime Chewie made a noise I larfed! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Feliz wrote
    What an absolutely fantastic thread! There are so many classic composers I haven't even formed an opinion of and groundbreaking scores I've never heard. I'm really excited to broaden my horizons a bit here. Thanks for keeping that running list Timmer, 11 pages is kind of overwhelming. Off to track down 80 cues. smile

Thank you Feliz beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    My track of the day:

HUNT FOR THE RED OCTOBER -- "Hymn to Red October" -- Basil Poledouris

Nah! NUCLEAR SCAM for me! punk

Artworks wrote
    My choice today is "Dream is Collapsing" from "Inception" (Hans Zimmer).

I was going to post this cool I'm not sure Zimmer will get a look-in from me now?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Awesome track, great score! beer

rolleyes

Stop creaming yourself over other peoples choices and choose your own. one. at. a. time. uhm wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...or more specifically, say you like someone's choice but also add your own choice. I know You have some gorgeous choices D, put em up. smile