• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2014 edited
    MOUNTAIN TOP / SUNRISE from Bernard Herrmann's JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH

The first 2.10 seconds of this suite

Nobody did wondrous, mysterious and awestruck like Bennie Herrmann and he didn't need the ( now clichéd ) 100 piece choir to back him up. Bennie could fuck you over without any of that nonsense.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's everyone's choices so far...

1) The Ecstasy of Gold - THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Ennio Morricone ( Timmer )
    2) Leia's News / Light of The Force - RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    3) Genesis Countdown - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( Steven )
    4) The Visitors / Buy / End Titles - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams ( Steven )
    5) Ride of The Firemares - KRULL - James Horner ( Southall )
    6) An Odd Discovery Beyond The Trees - THE BOY IN THE STRIPPED PYJAMAS - James Horner ( Thor )
    7) The Enterprise - STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    8) The Blooding - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( FalkirkBairn )
    9) Banishment / Forgiveness - EL-CID - Miklos Rozsa ( Ralph Kruhm )
    10) Adventures On Earth - E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    11) Chevalier de Sangreal - THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer ( Ralph Kruhm )
    12) Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack - STAR WARS - John Williams ( Timmer )
    13) The Second Coming - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( Timmer )
    14) The Asteroid Field - STAR WARS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Erik Woods )
    15) Homer Goes Upstairs - THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - Hugo Friedhofer ( sdtom )
    16) 007 And Counting - DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    17) The Great Eaton - THE LADY IN THE WATER - James Newton Howard ( Steven )
    18) Redemption - FLATLINERS - James Newton Howard ( Captain Future )
    19) Mona - MONA, L'ETOILE SANS NOM - Georges Delerue ( Captain Future )
    20) The Desert - SEVEN - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    21) Main Titles / End Titles - LO IMPOSSIBLE - Fernando Velazquez ( Demetris )
    22) You Are The Pan - HOOK - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    23) I Had A Farm In Africa - OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry ( John Chambers )
    24) Welcome To Jurassic Park - JURASSIC PARK - John Williams ( John Chambers )
    25) Motel - PETULIA - John Barry ( Timmer )
    26) Prelude - VERTIGO - Bernard Herrmann ( John Chambers )
    27) Title Theme - HUCKLEBERRY FINN AND HIS FRIENDS - Ted Ottley ( Captain Future )
    28) The Vast Continent - THE HORSE WHISPERER - Thomas Newman ( markrayen )
    29) Forbidden Friendship - HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - John Powell ( Edmund Meinerts )
    30) My Noble Knight - THE MIGHTY - Trevor Jones ( Justin boggan )
    31) Decent Into Mystery - BATMAN - Danny Elfman ( Artworks )
    32) The Leaving / The Search - CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris ( Plindboe )
    33) Keehar's Theme - WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley ( Justin boggan )
    34) The Lighting of The Beacons - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Jim Ware )
    35) Lillian's Heart Attack - BRAINSTORM - James Horner - ( Timmer )
    36) Ascension - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Captain Future )
    37) Prelude / Romanza - WITCHFINDER GENERAL - Paul Ferris ( Martijn )
    38) The Brides - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Stavroula )
    39) Dance of The Blue Wonder - SPACEAGE - Jay Chattaway ( Justin boggan )
    40) The Other Side - GATTACA - Michael Nyman ( Bregt )
    41) Magic Snow Music - BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER - Christophe Beck ( Justin boggan )
    42) Battle of The Salt Plains - THE BALLAD OF BIG AL - Benjamin Bartlett ( Timmer )
    43) Triumph/Celebration/Massacre - THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE - Dmitri Tiomkin ( Captain Future )
    44) Final Salute - HART'S WAR - Rachel Portman ( FalkirkBairn )
    45) The Creation of Fire - QUEST FOR FIRE - Philippe Sarde - ( Timmer )
    46) Building The Crate - CHICKEN RUN - Harry Gregson Williams & John Powell ( Steven )
    47) ???????? - BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES - Shirley Walker ( Justin boggan )
    48) Bud On The Ledge - THE ABYSS - Alan Silvestri ( Thor )
    49) Journey To Blofeld's hideaway - ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry ( Timmer )
    50) Main Title - TWIN PEAKS - Angelo Badalamenti ( Thor )
    51) Surprise Attack - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( FalkirkBairn )
    52) Aliyah - IN SEARCH OF PEACE - Lee Holdridge ( Justin boggan )
    53) Funeral de Juan - LOS BORGIAS - Angel Illaramendi ( Thor )
    54) Rainhammers - THE ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman ( sdtom )
    55) Stone In My Heart - THE THIN RED LINE - Hans Zimmer ( PawelStroinski )
    56) Freight Train - THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN - James Horner ( Justin boggan )
    57) Final Duel - STAR WARS THE REVENGE OF THE TIM - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    58) End Credits - THELMA & LOUISE - Hans Zimmer ( Captain Future )
    59) All About Faith - THE PROPHECY - David C. Williams ( Justin boggan )
    60) The End of All Things - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Artworks )
    61) Clark Farm Shootout - RIDE WITH THE DEVIL - Mychael Danna ( Steven )
    62) Morning On The Ranch - THE RED PONY - Aaron Copland ( sdtom )
    63) Shifting Gears - BULLIT - Lalo Schifrin ( Timmer )
    64) Pursuit of The Pimp Mobile - TRUCK TURNER - Isaac Hayes ( Timmer )
    65) Fall of The South - GONE WITH THE WIND - Max Steiner ( Captain Future )
    66) The Wreck - UNBREAKABLE - James Newton Howard ( Justin boggan )
    67) Chinon / Eleanor's Arrival - THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    68) The Boy Who Accepted The Star - HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE - Joe Hisaishi ( The Grey Pilgrim )
    69) The Ice Dance - EDWARD SCISSORHANDS - Danny Elfman ( Thor )
    70) The River Crossing To Stalingrad - ENEMY AT THE GATES - James Horner ( Steven )
    71) Ride To The Nazi Hideout - RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - John Williams ( Steven )
    72) The Flying Circus - THE ROCKETEER - James Horner ( Erik Woods )
    73) Hand of Fate - Part 1 & 2 - SIGNS - James Newton Howard ( Artworks )
    74) Be With You - THE HAPPENING - James Newton Howard ( Demetris )
    75) Underwater Mayhem / Death of Largo / End Titles - THUNDERBALL - John Barry ( Timmer )
    76) Cast Away - CAST AWAY - Alan Silvestri ( Thor )
    77) The Farewell Scene - NIXON - John Williams ( Timmer )
    78) The Planet Krypton - SUPERMAN THE MOVIE - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    79) Andante Cantabile - THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR - Bernard Herrmann ( FalkirkBairn )
    80) The Shape of Things To Come - BATTLESTAR GALACTICA - Bear McCreary ( Feliz )
    81) On The Tumbril / The Getaway - THE OMEGA MAN - Ron Grainer ( Justin boggan )
    82) Hymn To Red October - THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER - Basil Poledouris ( Thor )
    83) Dream Is Collapsing - INCEPTION - Hans Zimmer ( Artworks )
    84) Chateau Swashbuckler - THE MATRIX RELOADED - Don Davis ( Steven )
    85) Mountain Top / Sunrise - JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH - Bernard Herrmann ( Timmer )
    86) Tryouts - RUDY - Jerry Goldsmith ( Justin boggan )
    87) Piesn Mili - STARA BASAN - Krzesimir Debski ( Martijn )
    88) Race To The Edge of The World - ANDES TO AMAZON - Nicholas Hooper ( Martijn )
    89) The Myth - CAT PEOPLE - Giorgio Moroder ( Timmer )
    90) Romanza - NOVECENTO - Ennio Morricone ( Captain Future )
    91) The Imperial March - THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Artworks )
    92) Victoria's Secret - DUE SOUTH - Jay Semko / Jack Lenz / John McCarthy ( Justin boggan )
    93) Prelude - SOME CAME RUNNING - Elmer Bernstein ( FalkirkBairn )
    94) Hot Water - OUTLAND - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    95) I Respect You - GHOSTBUSTERS - Elmer Bernstein ( Justin boggan )
    96) Ressurection - HELLRAISER - Christopher Young ( Thor )
    97) Tending To Huey - SILENT RUNNING - Peter Schickele ( Timmer )
    98) Pheonix Rises - X-MEN: THE LAST STAND - John Powell ( Artworks )
    99) The Last Visit - THE FLY - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    100) Krell Shuttle Ride and Power Station - FORBIDDEN PLANET - Louis & Bebe Barron ( Captain Future )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2014
    Wow, there are parts of Elfman's Batman theme in there! Never heard this Herrmann piece before smile
  1. A more obvious choice this time:

"Rudy"
    Cue: Tryouts
    Composer: Goldsmith
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-09ayPX_KVs

I recall reading at FSM that when this cue was done recording, the orchestra players stood up and cheered (for like ten minutes, while Courage tried to settle them down).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Artworks wrote
    Wow, there are parts of Elfman's Batman theme in there! Never heard this Herrmann piece before smile

Well, Elfman has always cited Bennie Herrmann as one of his idols and influences. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Piesn Mili - Krzesimir Debski

From Stara Basn again. Slavic melancholy at its most spine-tingly.
    There are some pieces of music that just have this electrifying "what the hell was THAT?" effect, followed by an immediate replay. If the second (and often third) listen have that same emotional impact, then hell, that track belongs in any "best of" list.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gorgeous, truly, gorgeous! tear

Nothing like Folk influenced music to hit you deep in the heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Aye.
    I find that is very much my "button" to be pushed.
    And in that vein, just to balance things out, is another deeply held personal favourite: a magnificent track from the documentary Andes To Amazon: Race To The Edge Of The World (composed by Nicholas Hooper)

More than anything else this score -and I mentioned this before in the All-Time Favourite Score Albums thread- is positively exuberant. It tells so vividly of beauty and wonder, with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of emotion.
    This track just absolutely soars and actually succeeds every time in lifting me up (should I be for whatever reason be downhearted) and emphasising that 'hey, you know, we'll manage'.

Yeah, I actually value it that much.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The Debski track was beautiful. I'm with you!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THE MYTH from Giorgio Moroder's CAT PEOPLE

The Myth

One of the most erotic tracks ever I'd say. Where's the Opium?
  2. ROMANZO from Ennio Morricone's NOVECENTO

Novecento is much like La Revolution Francaise or JFK: The composer's loving tribute to their respective nations.
    Summoning a stellar cast, led by Robert DeNiro and Gerard Depardieu, Bernardo Bertolucci draws an epic picture of Italia between 1900 and 1945. Morricone "joins forces" with Giuseppe Verdi in creating a magnificent, epic score. The thematic suite "Romanca" depicts the melancholy, the yearning, love and hope. Viva Italia!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There would be more Morricone choices if Plindboe and Southall posted regularly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Aye.
    I find that is very much my "button" to be pushed.
    And in that vein, just to balance things out, is another deeply held personal favourite: a magnificent track from the documentary Andes To Amazon: Race To The Edge Of The World (composed by Nicholas Hooper)

More than anything else this score -and I mentioned this before in the All-Time Favourite Score Albums thread- is positively exuberant. It tells so vividly of beauty and wonder, with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of emotion.
    This track just absolutely soars and actually succeeds every time in lifting me up (should I be for whatever reason be downhearted) and emphasising that 'hey, you know, we'll manage'.

Yeah, I actually value it that much.

I wasn't keen on your previous choice, it was a little depressing for me. But you've gone and redeemed yourself! biggrin

I actually feel the same way about this album/score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's an excellent album. Have you heard his LAND OF THE TIGER, also a BBC wildlife series and a highly recommended score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Just realised that "The Imperial March" is not on the list yet... and I say yet, because when we are done with it, I'm guessing there will be at least 15-20 Star Wars cues on the list smile

So... "The Imperial March" from "Empire Strikes Back" (John Williams)

Do I really need to write a reason? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2014 edited
    No! But personally I think Barry Gray's THUNDERBIRDS march is the greatest march ever written. JW's is a close second.

As great as JW's Star Wars scores are I don't think individual tracks will overwhelm this thread, it already shows that it hasn't happened yet and big orchestra ( LSO in this case ) doesn't necessarily equate to best / favourite tracks.
  3. "Due South"
    Cue: Victoria's Secret
    Composers: Jay Semko, Jack Lenz, and John McCarthy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uItVhM0SnfY

A piano and a guitar. Sounds like two people on piano. The range from soft playing to hard, with a melloncholly theme, to me makes this an outstanding piece of music on it's own. It also fits quite nicely in an excellent two-parter from the series. I can't describe the details without giving it away for people who've not seen the show. And excellent show, by the way (more specifically the original run before it got cancelled and picked back up).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. justin boggan wrote
    "The Omega Man"
    Cue: On the Tumbril (titled On the Tumbril/The Getaway on the FSM re-issue)
    Composer: Ron Grainer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7cnyHZ9ak0

While I'm fairly sure it's three seperate cues, they just kind of go together. It's a one-of-a-kind film score I have yet to hear the like of again from film, TV, documentaries, etc., no matter how obscure. Not even, in what I've heard so far, from Grainer again.

They don't make 'em like this anymore. I dare say they can't make 'em like this anymore even if tried.

Good choice!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

I'd like to see more choices like this. A few people have done so including myself ( Petulia, Truck Turner, Bullit, and one or two others ), massive orchestra/choirs/lush strings etc don't always equate with greatness.

Having said that the vast majority of choices here have been sublime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    "Prelude" from Elmer Bernstein's SOME CAME RUNNING

http://youtu.be/RFqDUoZ0NTc

Sometimes you just need some music that slaps you in the face to attract your attention and Bernstein's opening for this film certainly does that! Blaring brass, screaming strings and powerful piano all come together to form a torrid exclamation at the beginning of a film that, I have to admit, I haven't actually seen. The rest of the score doesn't live up to this opening, but what an opening!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    No! But personally I think Barry Gray's THUNDERBIRDS march is the greatest march ever written. JW's is a close second.

As great as JW's Star Wars scores are I don't think individual tracks will overwhelm this thread, it already shows that it hasn't happened yet and big orchestra ( LSO in this case ) doesn't necessarily equate to best / favourite tracks.

Here in Australia there is currently a Woolworths commercial that plays Barry Gray's Thunderbirds march but it only accompanies the image of balloons coming up from a store. Very ho-hum use for such outstanding music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Hot Water from Jerry Goldsmith's OUTLAND

A brilliant cue that builds to relentless chase music at its best.
    Goldsmith channeled Stravinsky a bit for this one!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Hot Water from Jerry Goldsmith's OUTLAND

A brilliant cue that builds to relentless chase music at its best.
    Goldsmith channeled Stravinsky a bit for this one!

Absolutely corking track! punk
  5. "Ghostbusters"
    Cue: I Respect You
    Composer: Elmer Bernstein
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zznz09wEoNM

Poor quality from the old bootleg, but it was the only load I could find.

A personal favorite cue from one the best Bernstein scores I've heard. Uplifting, exciting, and full of energy, with a soft opening.

For those of you who have read my interview with orchestrator Patrick Russ, this is the cue that started his career, and it was the only cue in the film he worked on. A heck of an entry if you ask me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Justin, I feel that many of your picks either are or border on bootleg territory. I believe that is outside the thread's categories, as the whole point is for others to seek out the respective, available soundtracks if they're interested. Or am I misunderstanding?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My track of the day:

HELLRAISER -- "Ressurection" -- Christopher Young

I don't usually like horror scores, but whenever they tap into 'delicious darkness', as I call it, I'm game. That is particularly true for this operatic score and this centerpiece track.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You don't like horror scores?! i, don't even.....
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not on album, no.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    My track of the day:

HELLRAISER -- "Ressurection" -- Christopher Young

I don't usually like horror scores, but whenever they tap into 'delicious darkness', as I call it, I'm game. That is particularly true for this operatic score and this centerpiece track.

Ooooo...twisted waltz time! Love, love this track!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    You don't like horror scores?! i, don't even.....

To be fair, this isn't exactly difficult to imagine. Horror scores are not designed to be pleasing things to listen to.