• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2014
    TENDING TO HUEY from Peter Schickele's SILENT RUNNING

Tending To Huey

A track that hits me very deeply, this track is so tender and gentle and yet so sad too. One of those tracks that always brings a tear to my eye, it really is beautiful.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Well, since today is John Powell's birthday, I'm going to say "Phoenix Rises" from "X-Men: The Last Stand".

It's just an epic sounding piece with a great theme and lots of choir. I think one of the reasons it's so powerful, is that part of the theme is used earlier in the score ("Dark Phoenixs Tragedy"), but is cut short towards the end, before it reaches it's culmination. So when it reappears in "Phoenix Rises" in full, it has a much stronger effect, I think.
  1. Thor wrote
    Justin, I feel that many of your picks either are or border on bootleg territory. I believe that is outside the thread's categories, as the whole point is for others to seek out the respective, available soundtracks if they're interested. Or am I misunderstanding?

You're misunderstanding. "Ghostbusters" is was on the Varese Sarabande CD Club. The "Due South" cue was on one of the two song voluems that contained a few cues. I've yet to do a single bootleg. I've done one promo, however, and one rip from a film. So, if you consider all the rest -- commercial releases -- bootlegs, then yes, you vastly misunderstand.

But so what? The ruels of the thread don't rule those out yet. Or all promos. SO.....
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2014 edited
    "The Last Visit" from Howard Shore's THE FLY

http://youtu.be/LFZCgqp09zg

**Note that the clips below are from Cronenberg's film and may not to be everyone's taste.**

Another of these unusual choices but it's another example of a piece of music that's got such an emotional clout for me that it certainly qualifies as "outstanding" in my book.

If you think of Geena Davis' final visit to see Jeff Goldblum where he delivers his "insect politics" speech, it looks pretty ridiculous but Shore's music is filled with such sadness and drama (especially when the line "I'll hurt you if you stay" is delivered) the music takes the scene and makes it serious and believable. (There is a pretty poor "taped off TV" video of part of the scene: http://youtu.be/xW_08LCWp34 )

This track is so powerful that it is tracked the the climax of the movie when Goldblum's finally transformed into the eponymous fly and has Davis put him out of his misery - "The Last Visit" is tagged on to the end of another tracked cue, "Plasma Pool", for a very effective music support for the scene (the relevant music starting at 2:40 and a scene that, without the music would look even more ridiculous). ( http://youtu.be/NH-8L1iZq20 )
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Krell Shuttle Ride and Power Station from Louis and Bebe Barron's FORBIDDEN PLANET

A blend of sound design and abstract electronic music. The musical avant garde of that time experimented with electric / electronic music (Pierre Boulez, Pierre Schaeffer, John Cage)

The sound design works great in the film. As a listening experiance it is "interesting", but nothing you will listen to for shere entertainment.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote
    Justin, I feel that many of your picks either are or border on bootleg territory. I believe that is outside the thread's categories, as the whole point is for others to seek out the respective, available soundtracks if they're interested. Or am I misunderstanding?

You're misunderstanding. "Ghostbusters" is was on the Varese Sarabande CD Club. The "Due South" cue was on one of the two song voluems that contained a few cues. I've yet to do a single bootleg. I've done one promo, however, and one rip from a film. So, if you consider all the rest -- commercial releases -- bootlegs, then yes, you vastly misunderstand.

But so what? The ruels of the thread don't rule those out yet. Or all promos. SO.....

I think 'regular albums' was what we're looking for here -- otherwise this would be more all-over-the-place than it already is -- but maybe Timmer can clarify.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    No choices that don't exist on LP, CD or Download

Hmmm? I didn't specify anything about boots. I would prefer it if people kept to what is available ( though certainly NOT music that is only available in a YT clip ), I guess this does include boots if you consider scores on labels like "Harkit" where their CD's are readily available for purchase.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Why does it matter if it isn't available? (Honest question.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's everyone's choices so far...

1) The Ecstasy of Gold - THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Ennio Morricone ( Timmer )
    2) Leia's News / Light of The Force - RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    3) Genesis Countdown - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( Steven )
    4) The Visitors / Buy / End Titles - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams ( Steven )
    5) Ride of The Firemares - KRULL - James Horner ( Southall )
    6) An Odd Discovery Beyond The Trees - THE BOY IN THE STRIPPED PYJAMAS - James Horner ( Thor )
    7) The Enterprise - STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    8) The Blooding - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( FalkirkBairn )
    9) Banishment / Forgiveness - EL-CID - Miklos Rozsa ( Ralph Kruhm )
    10) Adventures On Earth - E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    11) Chevalier de Sangreal - THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer ( Ralph Kruhm )
    12) Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack - STAR WARS - John Williams ( Timmer )
    13) The Second Coming - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( Timmer )
    14) The Asteroid Field - STAR WARS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Erik Woods )
    15) Homer Goes Upstairs - THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - Hugo Friedhofer ( sdtom )
    16) 007 And Counting - DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    17) The Great Eaton - THE LADY IN THE WATER - James Newton Howard ( Steven )
    18) Redemption - FLATLINERS - James Newton Howard ( Captain Future )
    19) Mona - MONA, L'ETOILE SANS NOM - Georges Delerue ( Captain Future )
    20) The Desert - SEVEN - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    21) Main Titles / End Titles - LO IMPOSSIBLE - Fernando Velazquez ( Demetris )
    22) You Are The Pan - HOOK - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    23) I Had A Farm In Africa - OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry ( John Chambers )
    24) Welcome To Jurassic Park - JURASSIC PARK - John Williams ( John Chambers )
    25) Motel - PETULIA - John Barry ( Timmer )
    26) Prelude - VERTIGO - Bernard Herrmann ( John Chambers )
    27) Title Theme - HUCKLEBERRY FINN AND HIS FRIENDS - Ted Ottley ( Captain Future )
    28) The Vast Continent - THE HORSE WHISPERER - Thomas Newman ( markrayen )
    29) Forbidden Friendship - HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - John Powell ( Edmund Meinerts )
    30) My Noble Knight - THE MIGHTY - Trevor Jones ( Justin boggan )
    31) Decent Into Mystery - BATMAN - Danny Elfman ( Artworks )
    32) The Leaving / The Search - CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris ( Plindboe )
    33) Keehar's Theme - WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley ( Justin boggan )
    34) The Lighting of The Beacons - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Jim Ware )
    35) Lillian's Heart Attack - BRAINSTORM - James Horner - ( Timmer )
    36) Ascension - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Captain Future )
    37) Prelude / Romanza - WITCHFINDER GENERAL - Paul Ferris ( Martijn )
    38) The Brides - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Stavroula )
    39) Dance of The Blue Wonder - SPACEAGE - Jay Chattaway ( Justin boggan )
    40) The Other Side - GATTACA - Michael Nyman ( Bregt )
    41) Magic Snow Music - BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER - Christophe Beck ( Justin boggan )
    42) Battle of The Salt Plains - THE BALLAD OF BIG AL - Benjamin Bartlett ( Timmer )
    43) Triumph/Celebration/Massacre - THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE - Dmitri Tiomkin ( Captain Future )
    44) Final Salute - HART'S WAR - Rachel Portman ( FalkirkBairn )
    45) The Creation of Fire - QUEST FOR FIRE - Philippe Sarde - ( Timmer )
    46) Building The Crate - CHICKEN RUN - Harry Gregson Williams & John Powell ( Steven )
    47) ???????? - BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES - Shirley Walker ( Justin boggan )
    48) Bud On The Ledge - THE ABYSS - Alan Silvestri ( Thor )
    49) Journey To Blofeld's hideaway - ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry ( Timmer )
    50) Main Title - TWIN PEAKS - Angelo Badalamenti ( Thor )
    51) Surprise Attack - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( FalkirkBairn )
    52) Aliyah - IN SEARCH OF PEACE - Lee Holdridge ( Justin boggan )
    53) Funeral de Juan - LOS BORGIAS - Angel Illaramendi ( Thor )
    54) Rainhammers - THE ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman ( sdtom )
    55) Stone In My Heart - THE THIN RED LINE - Hans Zimmer ( PawelStroinski )
    56) Freight Train - THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN - James Horner ( Justin boggan )
    57) Final Duel - STAR WARS THE REVENGE OF THE TIM - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    58) End Credits - THELMA & LOUISE - Hans Zimmer ( Captain Future )
    59) All About Faith - THE PROPHECY - David C. Williams ( Justin boggan )
    60) The End of All Things - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Artworks )
    61) Clark Farm Shootout - RIDE WITH THE DEVIL - Mychael Danna ( Steven )
    62) Morning On The Ranch - THE RED PONY - Aaron Copland ( sdtom )
    63) Shifting Gears - BULLIT - Lalo Schifrin ( Timmer )
    64) Pursuit of The Pimp Mobile - TRUCK TURNER - Isaac Hayes ( Timmer )
    65) Fall of The South - GONE WITH THE WIND - Max Steiner ( Captain Future )
    66) The Wreck - UNBREAKABLE - James Newton Howard ( Justin boggan )
    67) Chinon / Eleanor's Arrival - THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    68) The Boy Who Accepted The Star - HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE - Joe Hisaishi ( The Grey Pilgrim )
    69) The Ice Dance - EDWARD SCISSORHANDS - Danny Elfman ( Thor )
    70) The River Crossing To Stalingrad - ENEMY AT THE GATES - James Horner ( Steven )
    71) Ride To The Nazi Hideout - RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - John Williams ( Steven )
    72) The Flying Circus - THE ROCKETEER - James Horner ( Erik Woods )
    73) Hand of Fate - Part 1 & 2 - SIGNS - James Newton Howard ( Artworks )
    74) Be With You - THE HAPPENING - James Newton Howard ( Demetris )
    75) Underwater Mayhem / Death of Largo / End Titles - THUNDERBALL - John Barry ( Timmer )
    76) Cast Away - CAST AWAY - Alan Silvestri ( Thor )
    77) The Farewell Scene - NIXON - John Williams ( Timmer )
    78) The Planet Krypton - SUPERMAN THE MOVIE - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    79) Andante Cantabile - THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR - Bernard Herrmann ( FalkirkBairn )
    80) The Shape of Things To Come - BATTLESTAR GALACTICA - Bear McCreary ( Feliz )
    81) On The Tumbril / The Getaway - THE OMEGA MAN - Ron Grainer ( Justin boggan )
    82) Hymn To Red October - THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER - Basil Poledouris ( Thor )
    83) Dream Is Collapsing - INCEPTION - Hans Zimmer ( Artworks )
    84) Chateau Swashbuckler - THE MATRIX RELOADED - Don Davis ( Steven )
    85) Mountain Top / Sunrise - JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH - Bernard Herrmann ( Timmer )
    86) Tryouts - RUDY - Jerry Goldsmith ( Justin boggan )
    87) Piesn Mili - STARA BASAN - Krzesimir Debski ( Martijn )
    88) Race To The Edge of The World - ANDES TO AMAZON - Nicholas Hooper ( Martijn )
    89) The Myth - CAT PEOPLE - Giorgio Moroder ( Timmer )
    90) Romanza - NOVECENTO - Ennio Morricone ( Captain Future )
    91) The Imperial March - THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Artworks )
    92) Victoria's Secret - DUE SOUTH - Jay Semko / Jack Lenz / John McCarthy ( Justin boggan )
    93) Prelude - SOME CAME RUNNING - Elmer Bernstein ( FalkirkBairn )
    94) Hot Water - OUTLAND - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    95) I Respect You - GHOSTBUSTERS - Elmer Bernstein ( Justin boggan )
    96) Ressurection - HELLRAISER - Christopher Young ( Thor )
    97) Tending To Huey - SILENT RUNNING - Peter Schickele ( Timmer )
    98) Pheonix Rises - X-MEN: THE LAST STAND - John Powell ( Artworks )
    99) The Last Visit - THE FLY - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    100) Krell Shuttle Ride and Power Station - FORBIDDEN PLANET - Louis & Bebe Barron ( Captain Future )
    101) Who Will Buy My Yesterday's - ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry ( Timmer )
    102) Christmas Eve Montage - THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS - Danny Elfman ( Thor )
    103) Come Fly With Me - THE FLY II - Christopher Young ( Artworks )
    104) Main Title and Colwyn's Arrival - KRULL - James Horner ( Atham )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

One of my favourite pieces of music is by Oliver Nelson for an episode of The Six Million Dollar Man and it's only available within the episode.

Now tell me what is the point in listing that? A bit pointless don't you think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, yes, if making a shareable playlist is the purpose, I suppose it is. But surely your Oliver Nelson is at least worth mentioning, because it's still a great piece of scoring?* No? confused

*In your opinion of course, unsurprisingly I haven't heard it.
  3. Steven wrote

Because everybody knows outstanding film music is only something you can purchase. IF you can't buy it, it's not outstanding.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Now you're just being ridiculous, Justin. The point of this thread (besides sharing your favourite tracks) should be to encourage people to make their own playlists based on the recommendations. If the first is the 'egotistical' part, the second is the useful part. That's my opinion, anyway. But I would condone a separate thread for great, unreleased tracks -- if that's of interest to people.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think a separate thread for unreleased tracks is necessary, but perhaps an "Honourable Mention" category if people want to 'share' something unreleased? It just seems a shame to not mention something potentially magnificent because of a technicality!

Still, this is Sir Timmother's thread. T'is his rules.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It is, and I'll bow to his command. I just have this need to narrow things down as much as possible when you're dealing with such a gigantic topic as this.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. My track from Seven is unreleased. Me bad!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    My track from Seven is unreleased. Me bad!

shocked

I bet you were a right rebel once upon a time. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Well, yes, if making a shareable playlist is the purpose, I suppose it is. But surely your Oliver Nelson is at least worth mentioning, because it's still a great piece of scoring?* No? confused

*In your opinion of course, unsurprisingly I haven't heard it.

I think it just ends up complicating things. Feel free to mention "honorary" but they won't be listed.

Here's one of my favourite tracks, only available in the film.

La Cabina plays from 27.21 - 29.15

Kind of a cross between Ennio Morricone and Wojciech Kilar
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Surely having less restrictions makes it less complicated? dizzy

Anyway. I concede. The thread's about great tracks which are available outside its given context. Got it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014 edited
    WHO WILL BUY MY YESTERDAY'S from John Barry's ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE

Who Will Buy My Yesterday's ...not an unused cue as stated in this clip.

And here's the track used in the film...

Sir Hillary's Night Out

IMO nobody does sensuous, erotic and sexy like John Barry, only Mancini, Legrand and Morricone come close. This track is a slight cheat as it isn't the original but a rerecording for Barry's album Ready When You Are J.B.

This track is quite simply sublime luxuriousness love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014
    I'm not sure if I need to point this out but none of my choices are in any particular order.

Great tracks are great tracks. Mood can dictate what is best on any given day.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Now you're just being ridiculous, Justin. The point of this thread (besides sharing your favourite tracks) should be to encourage people to make their own playlists based on the recommendations. If the first is the 'egotistical' part, the second is the useful part. That's my opinion, anyway. But I would condone a separate thread for great, unreleased tracks -- if that's of interest to people.

:like:
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    You don't like horror scores?! i, don't even.....

To be fair, this isn't exactly difficult to imagine. Horror scores are not designed to be pleasing things to listen to.

Well some of the best film scores have been written for 'horror/thriller' imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My track of the day:

THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS -- "Christmas Eve Montage" -- Danny Elfman

While the Kurt Weill-ian songs are really the main force of this score (one of my alltime favourites), I've decided to avoid songs in this thread. So the best centerpiece score track is this, IMO. Taps into most the main themes of the film.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

To be fair, this isn't exactly difficult to imagine. Horror scores are not designed to be pleasing things to listen to.

This is obviously true, but I agree with Thor that, in general, horror scores can be quite difficult to stomach on album. I have a bit of a zero tolerance policy when it comes to stingers/jump-scares, so that's a big part of it. When a horror score goes all huge and grandiose, or all-out terrifying action music, or chillingly beautiful, I can get on board with it no problem at all. But even scores that feature that will probably also have some unlistenable parts right around the corner.

If I mention Banos' Evil Dead, will I get away with it without Erik jumping down my throat this time? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You can shut the fuck up right now, Edmund. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Just saw that The Fly made the list, which reminded me of another track:

Come Fly With Me - THE FLY II - Christopher Young

I just think it's a hauntingly beautiful track, which is one of Christopher Young's trademarks.

(Would have loved to add "Birth of Sandman" from Spider-Man 3, which is a very similar piece, but that has sadly never officially been released).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That is a lovely choice Lars. I also love the powerhouse main theme even if it is Hellraiser rehashed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

Ah, you didn't mention thriller scores. 'Thriller' isn't necessarily 'horror', and they can certainly be a little easier to enjoy on album. But straight up horror scoring is, well, horrific. Not that I'm disagreeing with you mind, I love me some horror scores from time to time... but I can understand where Thor is coming from, for once.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    That is a lovely choice Lars. I also love the powerhouse main theme even if it is Hellraiser rehashed.

Yes, that is great theme too.