• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    You don't like horror scores?! i, don't even.....

To be fair, this isn't exactly difficult to imagine. Horror scores are not designed to be pleasing things to listen to.

Well some of the best film scores have been written for 'horror/thriller' imo.

This is obviously true, but I agree with Thor that, in general, horror scores can be quite difficult to stomach on album. I have a bit of a zero tolerance policy when it comes to stingers/jump-scares, so that's a big part of it. When a horror score goes all huge and grandiose, or all-out terrifying action music, or chillingly beautiful, I can get on board with it no problem at all. But even scores that feature that will probably also have some unlistenable parts right around the corner.

If I mention Banos' Evil Dead, will I get away with it without Erik jumping down my throat this time? wink

I undertand you , it's the same with me and friggin mickey mousing. Hate it, can't stand it at all.

EVIL DEAD is gorgeous btw.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2014 edited
    Krull Main Title and Colwyn's Arrival - James Horner

A stunning opening to both film and album!
    From the ethereal choir to the grand classical pomp of almost Arthurian sounding fanfare and theme we are blasted by everything that makes the music of Krull great. Then after a dark mid section representing the arrival of the Beast and his slayers we then move to the final third of the lengthy cue where Lyssa awaits her groom.
    The music for the arrival of the kings and Prince Colwyn on horseback is composed to perfection by Horner.
    So much happens within this one opening cue promising great things to come. And by god they sure do come!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2014
    ^
    Now that is gorgeous! cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's everyone's choices so far...

1) The Ecstasy of Gold - THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Ennio Morricone ( Timmer )
    2) Leia's News / Light of The Force - RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    3) Genesis Countdown - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( Steven )
    4) The Visitors / Buy / End Titles - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams ( Steven )
    5) Ride of The Firemares - KRULL - James Horner ( Southall )
    6) An Odd Discovery Beyond The Trees - THE BOY IN THE STRIPPED PYJAMAS - James Horner ( Thor )
    7) The Enterprise - STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    8) The Blooding - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( FalkirkBairn )
    9) Banishment / Forgiveness - EL-CID - Miklos Rozsa ( Ralph Kruhm )
    10) Adventures On Earth - E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    11) Chevalier de Sangreal - THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer ( Ralph Kruhm )
    12) Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack - STAR WARS - John Williams ( Timmer )
    13) The Second Coming - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( Timmer )
    14) The Asteroid Field - STAR WARS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Erik Woods )
    15) Homer Goes Upstairs - THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - Hugo Friedhofer ( sdtom )
    16) 007 And Counting - DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    17) The Great Eaton - THE LADY IN THE WATER - James Newton Howard ( Steven )
    18) Redemption - FLATLINERS - James Newton Howard ( Captain Future )
    19) Mona - MONA, L'ETOILE SANS NOM - Georges Delerue ( Captain Future )
    20) The Desert - SEVEN - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    21) Main Titles / End Titles - LO IMPOSSIBLE - Fernando Velazquez ( Demetris )
    22) You Are The Pan - HOOK - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    23) I Had A Farm In Africa - OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry ( John Chambers )
    24) Welcome To Jurassic Park - JURASSIC PARK - John Williams ( John Chambers )
    25) Motel - PETULIA - John Barry ( Timmer )
    26) Prelude - VERTIGO - Bernard Herrmann ( John Chambers )
    27) Title Theme - HUCKLEBERRY FINN AND HIS FRIENDS - Ted Ottley ( Captain Future )
    28) The Vast Continent - THE HORSE WHISPERER - Thomas Newman ( markrayen )
    29) Forbidden Friendship - HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - John Powell ( Edmund Meinerts )
    30) My Noble Knight - THE MIGHTY - Trevor Jones ( Justin boggan )
    31) Decent Into Mystery - BATMAN - Danny Elfman ( Artworks )
    32) The Leaving / The Search - CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris ( Plindboe )
    33) Keehar's Theme - WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley ( Justin boggan )
    34) The Lighting of The Beacons - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Jim Ware )
    35) Lillian's Heart Attack - BRAINSTORM - James Horner - ( Timmer )
    36) Ascension - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Captain Future )
    37) Prelude / Romanza - WITCHFINDER GENERAL - Paul Ferris ( Martijn )
    38) The Brides - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Stavroula )
    39) Dance of The Blue Wonder - SPACEAGE - Jay Chattaway ( Justin boggan )
    40) The Other Side - GATTACA - Michael Nyman ( Bregt )
    41) Magic Snow Music - BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER - Christophe Beck ( Justin boggan )
    42) Battle of The Salt Plains - THE BALLAD OF BIG AL - Benjamin Bartlett ( Timmer )
    43) Triumph/Celebration/Massacre - THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE - Dmitri Tiomkin ( Captain Future )
    44) Final Salute - HART'S WAR - Rachel Portman ( FalkirkBairn )
    45) The Creation of Fire - QUEST FOR FIRE - Philippe Sarde - ( Timmer )
    46) Building The Crate - CHICKEN RUN - Harry Gregson Williams & John Powell ( Steven )
    47) ???????? - BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES - Shirley Walker ( Justin boggan )
    48) Bud On The Ledge - THE ABYSS - Alan Silvestri ( Thor )
    49) Journey To Blofeld's hideaway - ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry ( Timmer )
    50) Main Title - TWIN PEAKS - Angelo Badalamenti ( Thor )
    51) Surprise Attack - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( FalkirkBairn )
    52) Aliyah - IN SEARCH OF PEACE - Lee Holdridge ( Justin boggan )
    53) Funeral de Juan - LOS BORGIAS - Angel Illaramendi ( Thor )
    54) Rainhammers - THE ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman ( sdtom )
    55) Stone In My Heart - THE THIN RED LINE - Hans Zimmer ( PawelStroinski )
    56) Freight Train - THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN - James Horner ( Justin boggan )
    57) Final Duel - STAR WARS THE REVENGE OF THE TIM - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    58) End Credits - THELMA & LOUISE - Hans Zimmer ( Captain Future )
    59) All About Faith - THE PROPHECY - David C. Williams ( Justin boggan )
    60) The End of All Things - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Artworks )
    61) Clark Farm Shootout - RIDE WITH THE DEVIL - Mychael Danna ( Steven )
    62) Morning On The Ranch - THE RED PONY - Aaron Copland ( sdtom )
    63) Shifting Gears - BULLIT - Lalo Schifrin ( Timmer )
    64) Pursuit of The Pimp Mobile - TRUCK TURNER - Isaac Hayes ( Timmer )
    65) Fall of The South - GONE WITH THE WIND - Max Steiner ( Captain Future )
    66) The Wreck - UNBREAKABLE - James Newton Howard ( Justin boggan )
    67) Chinon / Eleanor's Arrival - THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    68) The Boy Who Accepted The Star - HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE - Joe Hisaishi ( The Grey Pilgrim )
    69) The Ice Dance - EDWARD SCISSORHANDS - Danny Elfman ( Thor )
    70) The River Crossing To Stalingrad - ENEMY AT THE GATES - James Horner ( Steven )
    71) Ride To The Nazi Hideout - RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - John Williams ( Steven )
    72) The Flying Circus - THE ROCKETEER - James Horner ( Erik Woods )
    73) Hand of Fate - Part 1 & 2 - SIGNS - James Newton Howard ( Artworks )
    74) Be With You - THE HAPPENING - James Newton Howard ( Demetris )
    75) Underwater Mayhem / Death of Largo / End Titles - THUNDERBALL - John Barry ( Timmer )
    76) Cast Away - CAST AWAY - Alan Silvestri ( Thor )
    77) The Farewell Scene - NIXON - John Williams ( Timmer )
    78) The Planet Krypton - SUPERMAN THE MOVIE - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    79) Andante Cantabile - THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR - Bernard Herrmann ( FalkirkBairn )
    80) The Shape of Things To Come - BATTLESTAR GALACTICA - Bear McCreary ( Feliz )
    81) On The Tumbril / The Getaway - THE OMEGA MAN - Ron Grainer ( Justin boggan )
    82) Hymn To Red October - THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER - Basil Poledouris ( Thor )
    83) Dream Is Collapsing - INCEPTION - Hans Zimmer ( Artworks )
    84) Chateau Swashbuckler - THE MATRIX RELOADED - Don Davis ( Steven )
    85) Mountain Top / Sunrise - JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH - Bernard Herrmann ( Timmer )
    86) Tryouts - RUDY - Jerry Goldsmith ( Justin boggan )
    87) Piesn Mili - STARA BASAN - Krzesimir Debski ( Martijn )
    88) Race To The Edge of The World - ANDES TO AMAZON - Nicholas Hooper ( Martijn )
    89) The Myth - CAT PEOPLE - Giorgio Moroder ( Timmer )
    90) Romanza - NOVECENTO - Ennio Morricone ( Captain Future )
    91) The Imperial March - THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Artworks )
    92) Victoria's Secret - DUE SOUTH - Jay Semko / Jack Lenz / John McCarthy ( Justin boggan )
    93) Prelude - SOME CAME RUNNING - Elmer Bernstein ( FalkirkBairn )
    94) Hot Water - OUTLAND - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    95) I Respect You - GHOSTBUSTERS - Elmer Bernstein ( Justin boggan )
    96) Ressurection - HELLRAISER - Christopher Young ( Thor )
    97) Tending To Huey - SILENT RUNNING - Peter Schickele ( Timmer )
    98) Pheonix Rises - X-MEN: THE LAST STAND - John Powell ( Artworks )
    99) The Last Visit - THE FLY - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    100) Krell Shuttle Ride and Power Station - FORBIDDEN PLANET - Louis & Bebe Barron ( Captain Future )
    101) Who Will Buy My Yesterday's - ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry ( Timmer )
    102) Christmas Eve Montage - THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS - Danny Elfman ( Thor )
    103) Come Fly With Me - THE FLY II - Christopher Young ( Artworks )
    104) Main Title and Colwyn's Arrival - KRULL - James Horner ( Atham )
    105) The Danger Motif - STAR TREK TOS: The Corbomite Maneuver - Fred Steiner ( Captain Future )
    106) End Titles - INDEPENDENCE DAY - David Arnold ( Thor )
    107) Non Nobis Domine - HENRY V - Patrick Doyle ( MWippel )
    108) Adagio - ALIEN 3 - Elliot Goldenthal ( Thor )
    109) Dark Overlord - HOWARD THE DUCK - John Barry ( Timmer )
    110) The Flying Sequence (sans lyrics ) - SUPERMAN THE MOVIE - John Williams ( Erik Woods )
    111) Condensers - HEAT - Elliot Goldenthal ( Thor )
    112) Phantom - THE PHANTOM - David Newman ( Steven )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. DANGER MOTIF from Fred Steiner's STAR TREK TOS - THE CORBOMITE MANEUVER

I can only refer to the suite "The Corbomite Maneuver" as played by the National Philharmonic Orchestra, found on "Star Trek Vol 1", VS.
    The "Danger Motif" Steiner created for the third episode of the first season became a musical trademark of the show, almost as iconic as Courage's title theme.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My track of the day:

INDEPENDENCE DAY -- "End Titles" -- David Arnold

This score is full of wailing brass dissonance, but this track stands alone as a more jubilant, fanfaric suite of the main thematic material. It's a great, self-contained piece, and it's not accidental that it's been included on multiple compilations over the years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    For some odd reason I thought the list would end at 100.
    No idea why I thought that.

....which means this has the potential to become the longest list EVAH!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

It has. I -- alone -- have hundreds of tracks I could mention, and I'm sure everyone else has the same. It will be quite overwhelming when all is said and done.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can think of over a hundred great main title themes I could name let alone incidental tracks but I've purposely tried to keep to the slightly less obvious. I'll name some main titles when they're less obvious ( ie: not Bond, Star Wars etc )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Based on this thread, I have an idea of my own thread that is perhaps a bit more focussed that I'd like to do. I'm working on the parameters now.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

It has. I -- alone -- have hundreds of tracks I could mention, and I'm sure everyone else has the same. It will be quite overwhelming when all is said and done.

It could go on forever but I expect it'll just lose momentum and interest eventually.
    • CommentAuthorMWippel
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2014
    IIIIIhhhhh
    no Patrick Doyle so far confused

PATRICK DOYLE - Non nobis Domine - Henry V
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2014 edited
    My track of the day:

ALIEN 3 -- "Adagio" -- Elliot Goldenthal

So many great tracks from this, his magnum opus IMO, but this powerful finale will have to suffice. Tortured romanticism with dissonant elements.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I can think of over a hundred great main title themes I could name let alone incidental tracks but I've purposely tried to keep to the slightly less obvious. I'll name some main titles when they're less obvious ( ie: not Bond, Star Wars etc )

Yeah, same with me.
    The real value of the list (for me) is finding some inspiration for NEW avenues to explore!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Based on this thread, I have an idea of my own thread that is perhaps a bit more focussed that I'd like to do. I'm working on the parameters now.

"100 outstanding singular pieces of film music brilliance"? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

"100 outstanding singular pieces of film music brilliance"? wink

He, he...no, not exactly.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DARK OVERLORD from John Barry's HOWARD THE DUCK

Dark Overlord

Just one track and JB packs it full of melody and themes, strong influences from King Kong, The Black Hole and James Bond here. John Barry was the first composer for a big screen Marvel character.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    John Barry was the first composer for a big screen Marvel character.

As an oldy-timey film lover (with a slightly disturbing penchant toward Saturday matinee cliffhanger serials) and a connoisseur of sorts of Marvel and DC, I feel it incumbent upon me to point out -rather pedantically and ineffectually - that that was in fact Mort Glickman.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A Timely comics character wink

I'll concede ( sort of ), Howard was the first big budget Marvel character outing.

What are the point of Goal posts unless they can be narrowed or widened, depending cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    A Timely comics character wink

A touch, a touch. I do confess it. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    "The Flying Sequence" from Superman: The Movie (without "lyrics")

Williams' love theme is my all time favourite and its use in this scene in particular is simply outstanding, especially the first four minutes of the cue. It's magical! We believe a man can fly because Williams gave him wings!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good to see you're still joining in Erik. Needless to say it's a great choice.
  2. Thor wrote
    My track of the day:

So many great tracks from this, his magnum opus IMO, but this powerful finale will have to suffice. Tortured romanticism with dissonant elements.

Totally, 110% agreed.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014 edited
    Synchrotones wrote
    Thor wrote
    My track of the day:

Totally, 110% agreed.

I agree too. So where are your choices Pete?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014
    I hope it's OK that I keep my schedule of one track a day, and that it's not irritatingly often. There will be periods I won't post anything (like the upcoming week when I will be in Krakow and not post anything at all, most likely).

My track of the day:

HEAT -- "Condensers" -- Elliot Goldenthal

The quintessential track from this fantastic score (and soundtrack), encapsulating the seething romance of the city -- the last rays of sunset beeming across a silhouette of skyscrapers as the lights come on and turn everything into an electric, starry night. With the exception of TAXI DRIVER and some JNH tracks, this is probably my favourite urban score and track of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Phantom The Phantom David Newman

One of the very best Superhero themes, in my not in the least bit humble opinion.

I've never seen the film, and I have no interest in seeing it (it looks ridiculous?). But what a score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

One of the very best Superhero themes, in my not in the least bit humble opinion.

I've never seen the film, and I have no interest in seeing it (it looks ridiculous?). But what a score!

I was about to say that the film is awful beyond words but there are a lot of words to describe this film. Avoid this film, even if it's on terrestrial TV and every other channel is showing the Pope's Christmas mass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

I actually listed that exact same track awhile back! So for once, we're in synch, you and I.

What do we do when two people pick the same track, Timmer? Put an "x2" after it?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

I actually listed that exact same track awhile back! So for once, we're in synch, you and I.

What do we do when two people pick the same track, Timmer? Put an "x2" after it?

No! No repeats!

By the way, unless I'm missing something Thor, you haven't mentioned that track on this list. Maybe you're confusing it with the best albums thread?