• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2014
    Oh, and I definitely agree something from Desplat's Godzilla belongs in this thread.
  1. Really? I mean, I like Desplat's Godzilla well enough, but more for its overall approach and sound than any one singular piece. Nothing really leaps out at me, not even the main title (which I don't even think is among the best music in the score).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2014
    Steven wrote
    A.I. Artificial Intelligence The Reunion John Williams

This reduces me to a blubbering mess if I sit there and listen to it without any other distractions (and to be fair, if I'm playing this, I make sure that's the case).

As D would say, Jolly good choice old chap!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2014
    Needs more hyperbole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I like Desplat's Godzilla well enough

You like less than half of it half as well as it deserves.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Needs more hyperbole.

okay
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2014 edited
    Here's everyone's choices so far...

1) The Ecstasy of Gold - THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Ennio Morricone ( Timmer )
    2) Leia's News / Light of The Force - RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    3) Genesis Countdown - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( Steven )
    4) The Visitors / Buy / End Titles - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams ( Steven )
    5) Ride of The Firemares - KRULL - James Horner ( Southall )
    6) An Odd Discovery Beyond The Trees - THE BOY IN THE STRIPPED PYJAMAS - James Horner ( Thor )
    7) The Enterprise - STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    8) The Blooding - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( FalkirkBairn )
    9) Banishment / Forgiveness - EL-CID - Miklos Rozsa ( Ralph Kruhm )
    10) Adventures On Earth - E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    11) Chevalier de Sangreal - THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer ( Ralph Kruhm )
    12) Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack - STAR WARS - John Williams ( Timmer )
    13) The Second Coming - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( Timmer )
    14) The Asteroid Field - STAR WARS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Erik Woods )
    15) Homer Goes Upstairs - THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - Hugo Friedhofer ( sdtom )
    16) 007 And Counting - DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    17) The Great Eaton - THE LADY IN THE WATER - James Newton Howard ( Steven )
    18) Redemption - FLATLINERS - James Newton Howard ( Captain Future )
    19) Mona - MONA, L'ETOILE SANS NOM - Georges Delerue ( Captain Future )
    20) The Desert - SEVEN - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    21) Main Titles / End Titles - LO IMPOSSIBLE - Fernando Velazquez ( Demetris )
    22) You Are The Pan - HOOK - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    23) I Had A Farm In Africa - OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry ( John Chambers )
    24) Welcome To Jurassic Park - JURASSIC PARK - John Williams ( John Chambers )
    25) Motel - PETULIA - John Barry ( Timmer )
    26) Prelude - VERTIGO - Bernard Herrmann ( John Chambers )
    27) Title Theme - HUCKLEBERRY FINN AND HIS FRIENDS - Ted Ottley ( Captain Future )
    28) The Vast Continent - THE HORSE WHISPERER - Thomas Newman ( markrayen )
    29) Forbidden Friendship - HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - John Powell ( Edmund Meinerts )
    30) My Noble Knight - THE MIGHTY - Trevor Jones ( Justin boggan )
    31) Decent Into Mystery - BATMAN - Danny Elfman ( Artworks )
    32) The Leaving / The Search - CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris ( Plindboe )
    33) Keehar's Theme - WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley ( Justin boggan )
    34) The Lighting of The Beacons - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Jim Ware )
    35) Lillian's Heart Attack - BRAINSTORM - James Horner - ( Timmer )
    36) Ascension - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Captain Future )
    37) Prelude / Romanza - WITCHFINDER GENERAL - Paul Ferris ( Martijn )
    38) The Brides - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Stavroula )
    39) Dance of The Blue Wonder - SPACEAGE - Jay Chattaway ( Justin boggan )
    40) The Other Side - GATTACA - Michael Nyman ( Bregt )
    41) Magic Snow Music - BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER - Christophe Beck ( Justin boggan )
    42) Battle of The Salt Plains - THE BALLAD OF BIG AL - Benjamin Bartlett ( Timmer )
    43) Triumph/Celebration/Massacre - THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE - Dmitri Tiomkin ( Captain Future )
    44) Final Salute - HART'S WAR - Rachel Portman ( FalkirkBairn )
    45) The Creation of Fire - QUEST FOR FIRE - Philippe Sarde - ( Timmer )
    46) Building The Crate - CHICKEN RUN - Harry Gregson Williams & John Powell ( Steven )
    47) ???????? - BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES - Shirley Walker ( Justin boggan )
    48) Bud On The Ledge - THE ABYSS - Alan Silvestri ( Thor )
    49) Journey To Blofeld's hideaway - ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry ( Timmer )
    50) Main Title - TWIN PEAKS - Angelo Badalamenti ( Thor )
    51) Surprise Attack - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( FalkirkBairn )
    52) Aliyah - IN SEARCH OF PEACE - Lee Holdridge ( Justin boggan )
    53) Funeral de Juan - LOS BORGIAS - Angel Illaramendi ( Thor )
    54) Rainhammers - THE ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman ( sdtom )
    55) Stone In My Heart - THE THIN RED LINE - Hans Zimmer ( PawelStroinski )
    56) Freight Train - THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN - James Horner ( Justin boggan )
    57) Final Duel - STAR WARS THE REVENGE OF THE TIM - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    58) End Credits - THELMA & LOUISE - Hans Zimmer ( Captain Future )
    59) All About Faith - THE PROPHECY - David C. Williams ( Justin boggan )
    60) The End of All Things - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Artworks )
    61) Clark Farm Shootout - RIDE WITH THE DEVIL - Mychael Danna ( Steven )
    62) Morning On The Ranch - THE RED PONY - Aaron Copland ( sdtom )
    63) Shifting Gears - BULLIT - Lalo Schifrin ( Timmer )
    64) Pursuit of The Pimp Mobile - TRUCK TURNER - Isaac Hayes ( Timmer )
    65) Fall of The South - GONE WITH THE WIND - Max Steiner ( Captain Future )
    66) The Wreck - UNBREAKABLE - James Newton Howard ( Justin boggan )
    67) Chinon / Eleanor's Arrival - THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    68) The Boy Who Accepted The Star - HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE - Joe Hisaishi ( The Grey Pilgrim )
    69) The Ice Dance - EDWARD SCISSORHANDS - Danny Elfman ( Thor )
    70) The River Crossing To Stalingrad - ENEMY AT THE GATES - James Horner ( Steven )
    71) Ride To The Nazi Hideout - RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - John Williams ( Steven )
    72) The Flying Circus - THE ROCKETEER - James Horner ( Erik Woods )
    73) Hand of Fate - Part 1 & 2 - SIGNS - James Newton Howard ( Artworks )
    74) Be With You - THE HAPPENING - James Newton Howard ( Demetris )
    75) Underwater Mayhem / Death of Largo / End Titles - THUNDERBALL - John Barry ( Timmer )
    76) Cast Away - CAST AWAY - Alan Silvestri ( Thor )
    77) The Farewell Scene - NIXON - John Williams ( Timmer )
    78) The Planet Krypton - SUPERMAN THE MOVIE - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    79) Andante Cantabile - THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR - Bernard Herrmann ( FalkirkBairn )
    80) The Shape of Things To Come - BATTLESTAR GALACTICA - Bear McCreary ( Feliz )
    81) On The Tumbril / The Getaway - THE OMEGA MAN - Ron Grainer ( Justin boggan )
    82) Hymn To Red October - THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER - Basil Poledouris ( Thor )
    83) Dream Is Collapsing - INCEPTION - Hans Zimmer ( Artworks )
    84) Chateau Swashbuckler - THE MATRIX RELOADED - Don Davis ( Steven )
    85) Mountain Top / Sunrise - JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH - Bernard Herrmann ( Timmer )
    86) Tryouts - RUDY - Jerry Goldsmith ( Justin boggan )
    87) Piesn Mili - STARA BASAN - Krzesimir Debski ( Martijn )
    88) Race To The Edge of The World - ANDES TO AMAZON - Nicholas Hooper ( Martijn )
    89) The Myth - CAT PEOPLE - Giorgio Moroder ( Timmer )
    90) Romanza - NOVECENTO - Ennio Morricone ( Captain Future )
    91) The Imperial March - THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Artworks )
    92) Victoria's Secret - DUE SOUTH - Jay Semko / Jack Lenz / John McCarthy ( Justin boggan )
    93) Prelude - SOME CAME RUNNING - Elmer Bernstein ( FalkirkBairn )
    94) Hot Water - OUTLAND - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    95) I Respect You - GHOSTBUSTERS - Elmer Bernstein ( Justin boggan )
    96) Ressurection - HELLRAISER - Christopher Young ( Thor )
    97) Tending To Huey - SILENT RUNNING - Peter Schickele ( Timmer )
    98) Pheonix Rises - X-MEN: THE LAST STAND - John Powell ( Artworks )
    99) The Last Visit - THE FLY - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    100) Krell Shuttle Ride and Power Station - FORBIDDEN PLANET - Louis & Bebe Barron ( Captain Future )
    101) Who Will Buy My Yesterday's - ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry ( Timmer )
    102) Christmas Eve Montage - THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS - Danny Elfman ( Thor )
    103) Come Fly With Me - THE FLY II - Christopher Young ( Artworks )
    104) Main Title and Colwyn's Arrival - KRULL - James Horner ( Atham )
    105) The Danger Motif - STAR TREK TOS: The Corbomite Maneuver - Fred Steiner ( Captain Future )
    106) End Titles - INDEPENDENCE DAY - David Arnold ( Thor )
    107) Non Nobis Domine - HENRY V - Patrick Doyle ( MWippel )
    108) Adagio - ALIEN 3 - Elliot Goldenthal ( Thor )
    109) Dark Overlord - HOWARD THE DUCK - John Barry ( Timmer )
    110) The Flying Sequence (sans lyrics ) - SUPERMAN THE MOVIE - John Williams ( Erik Woods )
    111) Condensers - HEAT - Elliot Goldenthal ( Thor )
    112) Phantom - THE PHANTOM - David Newman ( Steven )
    113) Drag Me To Hell - DRAG ME TO HELL - Christopher Young ( Artworks )
    114) The Seduction of Suki and The Ballroom Scene - THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK - John Williams ( Timmer )
    115) Another captain - STAR TREK TNG - Dennis McCarthy ( Captain Future )
    116) Main Title - TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD - Elmer Bernstein ( Thor )
    117) The Island - LOST ( season 3 ) - Michael Giacchino ( Artworks )
    118) Marry Me - PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLDS END - Hans Zimmer ( Bregje )
    119) Paying Off Scores - FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE - Ennio Morricone ( Thor )
    120) The Reunion - A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE - John Williams ( Steven )
    121) Main Title - THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS - Trevor Jones ( Stavroula )
    122) Marauders - REIGN OF FIRE - Edward Shearmur ( Steven )
    123) Eric's Theme - CHARIOTS OF FIRE - Vangelis ( Captain Future )
    124) The Arrival of The Bomb And Countdown - GOLDFINGER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    125) The Hijacking - AIR FORCE ONE - Jerry Goldsmith ( Artworks )
    126) The Mutant - TOTAL RECALL - Jerry Goldsmith ( Timmer )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's great, although it was I who picked out FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, not Alan.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    *trip* spin shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2014
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet:
    The Last of the Mohicans Main Title Trevor Jones
    My first ever soundtrack. I was between the Main Title and The Kiss but i decided on the former since the way it unfolds like a storm coming is quite captivating to me!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah that one, fantastic. Love it, every bit of it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet:
    The Last of the Mohicans Main Title Trevor Jones

One of my favourite Jones scores though I have to say I would choose the track 'Prementory' as my favourite which strictly speaking isn't by Jones at all.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet

That's because some of us are steering clear of great themes as being choices that are too obvious, at least the very famous ones...Star Wars, Bond, Pink Panther etc.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    KRULL - James Horner

Demetris wrote
    Ah that one, fantastic. Love it, every bit of it.

What impeccable taste you have sir! wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2014
    Reign of Fire Marauders Edward Shearmur

I'd happily choose the entire album (if only there was a thread for this). Not a single dull moment to be had on this one. There's no other score I can think of that's quite like this? Sure, there are similar scores, and it's clearly very Goldenthal-inspired (same orchestrator that used to work with Goldenthal I believe?), but nothing that matches it as an album at least. Of course, I am very welcome to suggestions!

I suppose if I'm to choose just one, it would be this one- for today at least. It's heavy metal for orchestra. It's music that not only clears the cobwebs, but clears just about everything in its path. It's just... brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Reign of Fire is a delicious combination of Kamenesque power, Goldenthal brutality and Horner adrenaline!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Eric's Theme from Vangelis' CHARIOTS OF FIRE

I have raved about the opening sequence / the main theme elsewhere and elsewhen.
    So let's remember the running sequence of Eric Liddell. The cinematography, the slow motion, the religious reflections of the stream-of-consciousness like self commentary and this incredible triumphant, uplifting fanfare. I'm such a sucker for that film and that score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I'd happily choose the entire album (if only there was a thread for this).

Yes, it is such a shame we don't have a thread for full albums that are brilliant from beginning to end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think it's a great idea for a thread! Shall I start one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

I'd happily choose the entire album (if only there was a thread for this). Not a single dull moment to be had on this one. There's no other score I can think of that's quite like this? Sure, there are similar scores, and it's clearly very Goldenthal-inspired (same orchestrator that used to work with Goldenthal I believe?), but nothing that matches it as an album at least. Of course, I am very welcome to suggestions!

I suppose if I'm to choose just one, it would be this one- for today at least. It's heavy metal for orchestra. It's music that not only clears the cobwebs, but clears just about everything in its path. It's just... brilliant.

Incredible. If you ask me, one of the best scores ever written, from a very curious case of composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I think it's a great idea for a thread! Shall I start one?

Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I'd happily choose the entire album (if only there was a thread for this).

Yes, it is such a shame we don't have a thread for full albums that are brilliant from beginning to end.

That would be one of the very few cases. If you open a topic like this, you have to be very, very cautious and eclectic, the albums / scores should be absolutely 100% perfect, not a single flaw in any track otherwise there's no point in such a topic.
  3. I wonder if any C&C albums would feature? Or would be eligible?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I wonder if any C&C albums would feature? Or would be eligible?

no, no , noo!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And here's why: the whole point of having such a topic is to celebrate 1) a glorious score, from start to finish as it represents itself in a 2) glorious album someone very knowledgeable and with great appetite put to together for us which makes it a must-have. Not a 3 hour collection of every single note, fart and breath recorded in the studio lazily and messily put on 3 discs for us to choose and find the needle in the haystack.
  4. if it's a glorious score from start to finish what reason would there be to find the needle in a haystack? What haystack?

And - Thor - how did you manage to hack into Demetris' account?

wink Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    And here's why: the whole point of having such a topic is to celebrate 1) a glorious score, from start to finish as it represents itself in a 2) glorious album someone very knowledgeable and with great appetite put to together for us which makes it a must-have. Not a 3 hour collection of every single note, fart and breath recorded in the studio lazily and messily put on 3 discs for us to choose and find the needle in the haystack.

There's a strong chance you may have missed a key element to this discussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2014 edited
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2014
    Demetris wrote

Nonsense my friend. It all comes down to that forum cliché subjective choice, it's personal. so if someone reckons the C&C release is perfect then anyone is welcome to disagree but it doesn't make that persons choice wrong. Nothing is really perfect unless you think it is so.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    There's a strong chance you may have missed a key element to this discussion.

:like:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THE ARRIVAL OF THE BOMB AND COUNTDOWN from John Barry's GOLDFINGER

BOMB

Tense music is followed at the 1.25 mark by the countdown proper as Bond desperately tries to stop the nuclear device. Barry's music growls in a menacing march of tympani and brass. This is how it's done. Bond music nirvana.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2014 edited
    "The Hijacking" - "Air Force One" - Jerry Goldsmith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juQJnzdDedg

I like action packed music, and what Jerry Goldsmith did on Air Force One was simply stunning! Plus, if I remember correctly, he had very little time to compose the score, which just makes it more amazing. "The Hijacking" is my favorite track, especially the part from 6:12 and forward. If you could headbang to film music, this would be a good piece to do it to! punk