• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    BEN'S DEATH AND TIE FIGHTER ATTACK from John Williams STAR WARS

This is so thumpy, it's like getting thumped in the head if thumping in the head was good. I'll shut up.

Great choice. I remember when the film came out this sequence (and track) would be on the TV regularly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2014
    That's right! I remember that was almost always the sequence that was shown.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2014 edited
    "The Asteroid Field" from THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

I think this is the very best cue John Williams has ever written. A ballet in the stars if you will. Not only is the cue absolutely spot on in the film it's a stunning stand alone listen. It's a playful, exciting, breathtaking cue with a heroic theme that is featured only during this scene never to re-appear again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

I think this is the very best cue John Williams has ever written.

...as well as many others!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

I think this is the very best cue John Williams has ever written. A ballet in the stars if you will. Not only is the cue absolutely spot on in the film it's a stunning stand alone listen. It's a playful, exciting, breathtaking cue with a heroic theme that is featured only during this scene never to re-appear again.

-Erik-

Nuff said! cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote

I think this is the very best cue John Williams has ever written.

For me, this explains a lot about you, your favourites, and lots of discussions we´ve had over the years. This is in no way meant negatively, it just shows exactly what you´re looking for in a score, and why a lot of modern scoring doesn´t do much for you.

I will agree that it IS, of course, an outstanding action track, but I´d never think about naming such a track in a list like this. I would always look for something much more melodic, thematic, whatever. I´m not saying it has no theme, but I´d never name that when, in this movie alone, I had the choice of The Imperial March, Yoda´s Theme, or the Han & Princess theme tracks to name.

Call my taste "simple" if you want, but I always preferred a more thematic or melodic approach to action cues, too. That´s why tracks like Adventure on Earth or the second and third Rambo scores will always speak to me more than that Bounty Hunter hunt track from Episode II we both once talked about, and why modern action scoring is more attractive to me with its simple accords playing between a nice ostinato.

Again, this is not an attack or anything, I just find it interesting to point out if something helps me understanding other people´s opinions.

So, great topic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Where's my popcorn?
  2. I don´t think you´ll need it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My thoughts, for what they're worth, on choosing a SINGLE greatest piece of film music (or any music!) is a fool's errand. There is no 'single greatest piece of film music', and it's silly to claim there is. But I do think we can name many equally great pieces of film music, hence "Film music doesn't get better than this. It gets different, sure. But not better."

Although I realise this isn't necessarily the purpose of this thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I agree, that´s why I think that naming a track the best track of a composer isn´t the best idea when it´s obvious that there are many more great tracks and opinions about those tracks. We can hardly decide between ourselves about favourite scores or composers, and even a person´s own taste changes over the years (or even months or days).

But that wasn´t the intention of the thread anyway. Let´s just name great tracks and make a playlist.

Whichever track is the best is neither possible nor necessary to decide.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think that this thread should be renamed favorite tracks from space movies. Very few outsiders allowed in but I'm not surprised. Let me go with a favorite track.
    BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES/HUGO FRIEDHOFER "Homer Goes Upstairs"
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My next choice is space related but not from a space movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I don´t think you´ll need it.

Good! I need to diet. wink
  3. Timmer wrote

A John Barry track from a film with lots of space?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    probably the Black Hole
  4. But that's a space movie? I'd say something like CLOSE ENCOUNTERS of THE ABYSS.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Volker this is not a John Barry composition.
    tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

A John Barry track from a film with lots of space?

Close enough beer

007 AND COUNTING from John Barry's DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

I'd have thought I'd played this track to death by now but no, it's never lost its lustre for me. This is so damned silky and smooth, in Barry's hands outer space is threatening and sexy. Nobody else could or would have done this kind of music for a scene involving a devastating space laser satellite, Barry does and it's a real touch of genuine genius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    I think that this thread should be renamed favorite tracks from space movies. Very few outsiders allowed in but I'm not surprised. Let me go with a favorite track.

Is that from a new film? I've never heard of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lady In The Water The Great Eatlon James Newton Howard

I find it nigh on impossible to make a top ten this or that, but when it comes to one single moment, oddly enough it seems easier. And this is that one track from JNH which seems to 'speak' to me above all others (even though there are plenty of JNH tracks I adore).

Film music nirvana.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Great choice! Great track! But man that movie, jeez! What. A. Stinker.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote

Is that from a new film? I've never heard of it.

What a beautiful piece! Great choice Tom. What a great composer Friedhofer was.... also one of the great orchestrators.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    ^
    Great choice! Great track! But man that movie, jeez! What. A. Stinker.

All I remember from the film is Paul Giamatti asking people questions, a ginger chick who lived in a swimming pool, and some guy (who looked like JNH) was eaten by a werewolf.
  5. sdtom wrote
    Volker this is not a John Barry composition.
    tom

O my! biggrin
  6. One that never had a proper CD release:

REDEMPTION from FLATLINERS by James Newton Howard

Propably my singel most favourite cue by JNH. I love that film and that end titles cue is the narrative's perpect musical addendum and conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCV5uZ6Hp3Q
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh boy. Who would have thought that an innocent post of mine would get people all worked up.

Let me rephrase my above post.

I think this is my favourite John Williams cue. A ballet in the stars if you will. Not only is the cue absolutely spot on in the film it's a stunning stand alone listen. It's a playful, exciting, breathtaking cue with a heroic theme that is featured only during this scene never to re-appear again.

Better?

PS - Most modern scoring doesn't work for me because most of it is awful. However, you might be pleased to know that Amazing Spider-Man 2 is probably going to make my Top 10 of the year. Oh, and just another little nugget of info. James Horner's more traditonal approach didn't even come close to making my Top 10 a few years ago. So, yeah, you really don't have me pigeonholed, Ralph. wink

PPS - The Asteroid Field isn't thematic? Saaaaaaay what?!?!?
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think anyone was getting worked up? uhm

Anyway. Great cue, regardless.
  7. That score is one array of great cues.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It wouldn't have been long before I would have chosen The Asteroid Field myself, it's everything Erik said it is, one of the greatest tracks ever.

I'm glad it's out of the way, soon we can concentrate on more left-field and obscurer choices.
  8. OK, how obscure is this one: My favourite cue by George Delerue ...

MONA from the film "Mona, L'etoile sans nom" (1965)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qIw6Cauk6w

In the above video the theme starts at 1:26. The source here is vinyl it seems. I have that theme on "George Delerue: Best Original Movie Scores" (milan).