• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2014 edited
    I don't recall that one? If it's on the 6 CD Georges Delerue Anthology box set then yes, I do have it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Nope, it's not.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    You know what, forget it. I´m done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    The Asteroid Field..I'm glad it's out of the way, soon we can concentrate on more left-field...choices.

Oh you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BTW, I wasn't upset by anything you wrote concerning my choice, Ralph. Just flabbergasted that that's the post the would spark a debate.

beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. "The Desert" from Howard Shore's SEVEN

This track isn't currently available commercially but here's hoping that Howe Records give this excellent score the treatment it deserves and releases it in a fuller form than the suites currently available. I've included a link to the final scene. It goes without saying that there's bad language, a bit of blood and plenty of spoilers...

http://youtu.be/1giVzxyoclE

I remember being impressed with this cue the first time I heard it. The ostinato strings that start the cue off certainly grabs the attention and Shore then goes on to use a limited palette in a complex series of ways to echo the drama unfolding on screen. I can imagine that some may find the relentless melding of the music and the editing a bit forced, but I love it, as it emphasises the drama. Shore could have punctuated the opening of the box but rather chose to wait until we see Freeman's character suddenly realising what's unfolding.

I do think that some of the elongated low string passages that are heard when the ostinato subsides can be a bit overly dramatic but keeping them in the low strings lessens that melodramatic feel.

But, it's a great track for a great scene and I'm off to listen to the track once more.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Genesis Countdown James Horner

Perhaps my single favourite Horner cue. Film music doesn't get better than this. It gets different, sure. But not better.

Here's the first great example of being beaten to the punch. I was going to choose this one soon. Glad to see I was beaten to it. cool

Great as Battle In The Mutara Nebula is I take Genesis Countdown over it, it is just brilliant!

I know I've always been slightly incredulous to your choice of III over II, but to be fair my favourite music-to-scene moment is Stealing The Enterprise. Yeah, it's essentially a rework of everything from the first score, but it works so fucking well in that scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2014 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, I wasn't upset by anything you wrote concerning my choice, Ralph. Just flabbergasted that that's the post the would spark a debate.

beer

-Erik-

Fair enough. And I should know by now that your edgy responses are part of your game. So, fine then.

beer

To explain further: No one disagrees that this is an outstanding action track. It just raised my eyebrows that you said it´s the best track Williams ever wrote (whether it was IYHO or not wasn´t even my point at that time; knowing you, that was a given). You must know that a remark like that would provoke questions and comments, given Williams´ accomplishments over the decades. The action cue "genre" alone is full of great contenders, like Indy III´s Scherzo, or SW´s Duel of Fates, but I think the more obvious choice would be from one of his many great and memorable main themes. Of course, such a choice would also be very boring, so what I got across from yours´ was that you tried to find something unexpected to make your choice more interesting. Again, this is not meant as a provocation, I do find your choice very interesting, because it spawns a discussion and clarifies something about you for me.

I should have been more careful with my choice of words about the latter, though. What I meant is that your choice somehow supports my understanding that you like more complex, innovative and even kind of quirky scores very much, or, to put it simply, scores with many notes. wink . That´s why - I thought - you liked stuff like Episode II´s Bounty Hunter hunt, the score from Remember Me, or, indeed, the quite experimental (IMHO) score for ASM2.

I know you also like the more conventional stuff (like Tyler´s Iron Man 3), but even then the themes are often more complex. At least that´s what I think. Of course I can be wrong about that, I know that. Just know that whatever drives your taste, I´ve no problem whatsoever with that, I just wanted to express my thoughts about it and how it corresponds to your opinion about modern scoring IMHO. I´m not trying to fit you into certain shoes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Easy entry:

FERNANDO VELAZQUEZ from LO IMPOSSIBLE - "The Impossible Main Titles" and "The Impossible End Titles"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiHDfKtkofA
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Hook - You Are The Pan - John Williams

Goosebumping every single time.
  3. Great topic Tim!

Out of Africa I had a farm in Africa - John Barry

Yearning, emotional music that I never tire of listening to. My favourite recordings of it are the RSNO varese and the solo violin arrangement on 'Cinema Serenade'.
  4. Jurassic Park Welcome to Jurassic Park - John Williams

From the beautiful melancholic piano at the beginning to the rousing statements of two of the best themes ever written to it's sombre, ominous end, music doesn't get any better than this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Easy entry

Only if you play your cards right.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    Great topic Tim!

Out of Africa I had a farm in Africa - John Barry

Yearning, emotional music that I never tire of listening to. My favourite recordings of it are the RSNO varese and the solo violin arrangement on 'Cinema Serenade'.

beer Good to see you again John ( metaphorically speaking wink )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    To explain further: No one disagrees that this is an outstanding action track. It just raised my eyebrows that you said it´s the best track Williams ever wrote (whether it was IYHO or not wasn´t even my point at that time; knowing you, that was a given). You must know that a remark like that would provoke questions and comments, given Williams´ accomplishments over the decades. The action cue "genre" alone is full of great contenders, like Indy III´s Scherzo, or SW´s Duel of Fates, but I think the more obvious choice would be from one of his many great and memorable main themes. Of course, such a choice would also be very boring, so what I got across from yours´ was that you tried to find something unexpected to make your choice more interesting. Again, this is not meant as a provocation, I do find your choice very interesting, because it spawns a discussion and clarifies something about you for me.

I really wasn't trying to be different in anyway. Ever since I was a kid "The Asteroid Field" sequence in The Empire Strikes Back has ALWAYS been my favourite moment of the trilogy. And with that so goes the music. Sure, I love the countless classic themes and other brilliant action tracks Williams composed for the trilogy (and other films - that includes "The Desert Chase" from my all time favourite score) but "The Asteroid Field," IMO, is the best of the best. It's hard to describe why I think that way but it's absolutely and utterly perfect from start to finish. And what makes it so great is that not only is it a superb "film music" track matching all the sync points and emotional heights as it goes along,, it's just a great stand alone piece of music as if written without the aid of the film. I hope that helps with why I chose it and why I think so highly of the piece. BTW, I also LOVE the concert version of The Asteroid Field.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I should have been more careful with my choice of words about the latter, though. What I meant is that your choice somehow supports my understanding that you like more complex, innovative and even kind of quirky scores very much, or, to put it simply, scores with many notes. wink . That´s why - I thought - you liked stuff like Episode II´s Bounty Hunter hunt, the score from Remember Me, or, indeed, the quite experimental (IMHO) score for ASM2.

I like creativity (Deriviere's Remember Me) but I also love simplicity (BT's Monster). But I'm not sure if you remember this or not but I think "Bounty Hunter Pursuit" is one of the worst Star Wars action tracks Williams has ever written. It felt like filler for a scene that really didn't need music. It seemed like Williams was utterly bored writing his score to Attack of the Clones, save for two or three outstanding cues. "Bounty Hunter's Pursuit" is just aimless.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I know you also like the more conventional stuff (like Tyler´s Iron Man 3), but even then the themes are often more complex. At least that´s what I think. Of course I can be wrong about that, I know that. Just know that whatever drives your taste, I´ve no problem whatsoever with that, I just wanted to express my thoughts about it and how it corresponds to your opinion about modern scoring IMHO. I´m not trying to fit you into certain shoes.

Thanks to clarifying! I'm glad that you didn't leave the board because of my remarks. You are a valued member here and I'm honoured that you took time out of your day to "evaluate" my listening preferences.

beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I think that this thread should be renamed favorite tracks from space movies. Very few outsiders allowed in but I'm not surprised. Let me go with a favorite track.
    BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES/HUGO FRIEDHOFER "Homer Goes Upstairs"

Is that from a new film? I've never heard of it.

Steven you smart ass it won several Oscars in 1946.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  5. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Hook - You Are The Pan - John Williams

Goosebumping every single time.

An outstanding track! Yet a few days ago over at Filmtracks they pointed out the similarity to Georges Delerue's concluding track from "Agnes of God" which may or may not have been the temp track. I can't listen to the Williams track now without thinking of Delerue.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Before I lose it, here's everyone's choices so far...

1) The Ecstasy of Gold - THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Ennio Morricone
    2) Leia's News / Light of The Force - REVENGE OF THE JEDI - John Williams
    3) Genesis Countdown - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner
    4) The Visitors / Buy / End Titles - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams
    5) Ride of The Firemares - KRULL - James Horner
    6) An Odd Discovery Beyond The Trees - THE BOY IN THE STRIPPED PYJAMAS - James Horner
    7) The Enterprise - STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith
    8) The Blooding - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith
    9) Banishment / Forgiveness - EL-CID - Miklos Rozsa
    10) Adventures On Earth - E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - John Williams
    11) Chevalier de Sangreal - THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer
    12) Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack - STAR WARS - John Williams
    13) The Second Coming - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith
    14) The Asteroid Field - STAR WARS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams
    15) Homer Goes Upstairs - THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - Hugo Friedhofer
    16) 007 And Counting - DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry
    17) The Great Eaton - THE LADY IN THE WATER - James Newton Howard
    18) Redemption - FLATLINERS - James Newton Howard
    19) Mona - MONA, L'ETOILE SANS NOM - Georges Delerue
    20) The Desert - SEVEN - Howard Shore
    21) Main Titles / End Titles - LO IMPOSSIBLE - Fernando Velazquez
    22) You Are The Pan - HOOK - John Williams
    23) I Had A Farm In Africa - OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry
    24) Welcome To Jurassic Park - JURASSIC PARK - John Williams
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I think that this thread should be renamed favorite tracks from space movies. Very few outsiders allowed in but I'm not surprised. Let me go with a favorite track.

Tom

Crikey. That's a long time ago. I guess I'll just have to trust the scholars on that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Before I lose it, here's everyone's choices so far...

The Ecstasy of Gold
    Leia's News / Light of The Force
    Genesis Countdown
    The Visitors / Buy / End Titles
    Ride of The Firemares
    An Odd Discovery Beyond The Trees
    The Enterprise
    The Blooding
    Banishment / Forgiveness
    Adventures On Earth
    Chevalier de Sangreal
    Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack
    The Second Coming
    The Asteroid Field
    Homer Goes Upstairs
    007 And Counting
    The Great Eaton
    Redemption
    The Desert
    Main Titles / End Titles
    You Are The Pan
    I Had A Farm In Africa
    Welcome To Jurassic Park

Look at all those "space" films. wink

-Erik-
  6. Wait till Eric fin
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote

Tom

Crikey. That's a long time ago. I guess I'll just have to trust the scholars on that one.

Wait till Erik finds out about your ignorance. He's fanatic about that score. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Tom's the fanatic about that score. It's his all time favourite.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Easy entry

Only if you play your cards right.

kiss YOU
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I see. I seem to remember that you advised me to buy it, which turned out to be a good idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I see. I seem to remember that you advised me to buy it, which turned out to be a good idea.

I think it's great, too, but Tom's nuts about that score. It could use a "proper" re-recording though.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    MOTEL from John Barry's PETULIA

Quite possibly the laziest, laid back piece of lounge jazz I've ever heard. It's exquisite! One of the most chilled film music pieces ever, this is the silkiest silk turned into music, pure class.

When those strings come in at 1:01.... Heaven cocktail
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    I really wasn't trying to be different in anyway. Ever since I was a kid "The Asteroid Field" sequence in The Empire Strikes Back has ALWAYS been my favourite moment of the trilogy. And with that so goes the music. Sure, I love the countless classic themes and other brilliant action tracks Williams has composed for the trilogy (and other films - that includes "The Desert Chase" from my all time favourite score) but "The Asteroid Field," IMO, is the best of the best. It's hard to describe way I think that way but it's absolutely and utterly perfectly from start to finish. And what makes it so great is that not only is it a superb "film music" track matching all the sync points and emotional heights as it goes along,, it's just a great stand alone piece of music as if written without the aid of the film. I hope that helps with why I chose it and why I think so highly of the piece. BTW, I also LOVE the concert version of The Asteroid Field.
    Thank you for the expanded explanation. It IS a great track and its stand-alone merits are unquestionable. BTW, I like the Charles Gerhardt album a lot, so...

I like creativity (Derievere's Remember Me) but I also love simplicity (BT's Monster). But I'm not sure if you remember this or not but I think "Bounty Hunter Pursuit" is one of the worst Star Wars action tracks Williams has ever written. It felt like filler for a scene that really didn't need music. It seemed like Williams was utterly bored writing his score to Attack of the Clones, save for two or three outstanding cues. "Bounty Hunter's Pursuit" is just aimless.
    Strange. I remember a talk we had when we went a bit deeper into your fascination with Williams and complex action cues and I was pretty sure that that track was mentioned, but of course I could be wrong here. Or was it the Boba Fett track with that sonic blasts? Huh.

Given that you like creativity and simplicity both, may I ask what you thought about Gravity?

Thanks to clarifying! I'm glad that you didn't leave the board because of my remarks. You are a valued member here and I'm honoured that you took time out of your day to "evaluate" my listening preferences.

beer

Oh, I didn´t mean to leave the board, I just didn´t want to have another of these discussions, that´s why I deleted my original post. Thanks for your kind words anyway; beer I´m glad we got that straightened out. Even if Timmer has to continue dieting now. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    skull
  8. Pardon?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm starving. Turning into bones ain't I.