• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Would a composer's own personal edit of something count?

Would something related to a project, by the composer, but not in it, count?

An example?

Examples. So, "Yes"?

Next piece:

"Watership Down"
    Cue: Kehaar's Theme
    Composer: Angela Morley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GAsoxkmxJ8

A beautiful and uplifting piece with a sax playing the theme with the orchestra, with a breif interlude waltz-like rendition. Morley never got her due. This will not be the only time I mention her in this thread.

In a related note, a few weeks ago I read an interview with a composer (I think it was Michael J. Lewis) who told the story of Wally Stott. He got married, went overseas for the honeymoon, and came back a woman (or as Rush Limbaugh calls it, a "Removeadicktomy"). That ... seems an odd way to celebrate your honeymoon. No problem with the change, I could care less, just seems a weird thing to do after getting married.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2014
    Yayyyyyyyyy!!!! Peter punk

I'm really surprised your initial choice isn't by Ennio Morricone. No matter though, your choice is absolutely sublime.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    Great topic, Timmer.

My first choice is:

THE LEAVING/THE SEARCH from Poledouris' CONAN THE BARBARIAN

YES!
    I was DESPERATELY waiting for someone to FINALLY mention Poledouris, and indeed Conan.
    THANK YOU! beer hug
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2014 edited
    Here's everyone's choices so far...

1) The Ecstasy of Gold - THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Ennio Morricone ( Timmer )
    2) Leia's News / Light of The Force - RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    3) Genesis Countdown - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( Steven )
    4) The Visitors / Buy / End Titles - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams ( Steven )
    5) Ride of The Firemares - KRULL - James Horner ( Southall )
    6) An Odd Discovery Beyond The Trees - THE BOY IN THE STRIPPED PYJAMAS - James Horner ( Thor )
    7) The Enterprise - STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    8) The Blooding - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( FalkirkBairn )
    9) Banishment / Forgiveness - EL-CID - Miklos Rozsa ( Ralph Kruhm )
    10) Adventures On Earth - E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    11) Chevalier de Sangreal - THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer ( Ralph Kruhm )
    12) Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack - STAR WARS - John Williams ( Timmer )
    13) The Second Coming - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( Timmer )
    14) The Asteroid Field - STAR WARS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Erik Woods )
    15) Homer Goes Upstairs - THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - Hugo Friedhofer ( sdtom )
    16) 007 And Counting - DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    17) The Great Eaton - THE LADY IN THE WATER - James Newton Howard ( Steven )
    18) Redemption - FLATLINERS - James Newton Howard ( Captain Future )
    19) Mona - MONA, L'ETOILE SANS NOM - Georges Delerue ( Captain Future )
    20) The Desert - SEVEN - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    21) Main Titles / End Titles - LO IMPOSSIBLE - Fernando Velazquez ( Demetris )
    22) You Are The Pan - HOOK - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    23) I Had A Farm In Africa - OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry ( John Chambers )
    24) Welcome To Jurassic Park - JURASSIC PARK - John Williams ( John Chambers )
    25) Motel - PETULIA - John Barry ( Timmer )
    26) Prelude - VERTIGO - Bernard Herrmann ( John Chambers )
    27) Title Theme - HUCKLEBERRY FINN AND HIS FRIENDS - Ted Ottley ( Captain Future )
    28) The Vast Continent - THE HORSE WHISPERER - Thomas Newman ( markrayen )
    29) Forbidden Friendship - HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - John Powell ( Edmund Meinerts )
    30) My Noble Knight - THE MIGHTY - Trevor Jones ( Justin boggan )
    31) Decent Into Mystery - BATMAN - Danny Elfman ( Artworks )
    32) The Leaving / The Search - CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris ( Plindboe )
    33) Keehar's Theme - WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley ( Justin boggan )
    34) The Lighting of The Beacons - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Jim Ware )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    My nomination has to be The Lighting of the Beacons from Howard Shore's Return of the King.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    2) Leia's News / Light of The Force - REVENGE OF THE JEDI - John Williams ( Captain Future )

Ahem. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Jim Ware wrote
    My nomination has to be The Lighting of the Beacons from Howard Shore's Return of the King.

Oh, yeaaaaaah!
    That definitely needs to be in there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jim Ware wrote

Damn good choice!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    2) Leia's News / Light of The Force - REVENGE OF THE JEDI - John Williams ( Captain Future )

Ahem. angry

this time I forgot. DONE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Yayyyyyyyyy!!!! Peter punk

I'm really surprised your initial choice isn't by Ennio Morricone. No matter though, your choice is absolutely sublime.

Martijn wrote
    YES!
    I was DESPERATELY waiting for someone to FINALLY mention Poledouris, and indeed Conan.
    THANK YOU! beer hug

Hehe, thanks guys! biggrin

I'm sure I'll get to my god (i.e. Morricone) sooner or later. My brain just kept insisting on Conan today.

Peter beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    John Williams is my God. History dictates we should fight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Fist fights are beneath me. This is how real men fight.

Peter cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2014
    Oh yeah?

Yeah that's what I thought, bitch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bah. Clint > Exploding Death Star. Everyone knows this fact.

Peter moon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2014 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Fist fights are beneath me. This is how real men fight.

Peter cool

Epic genius FTW! punk ( there is no composer who could have matched this sequence better, and certainly not John Williams )

Sorry Steven, you've just been royally stuffed! tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    John Williams is my God. History dictates we should fight.

Hulk giving a god a good shoeing does come close though. cool wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2014 edited
    Lillian's Heart Attack from James Horner's BRAINSTORM

I can't think of any composer that can do these stressful near unbearable build ups with a cathartic release better than James Horner ( Tracks in Star Trek's II & III, Cocoon, Krull and Perfect Storm also feature this powerful style from him ) . Awesome, truly awesome track. The four note danger motif is here but I bought this on LP on the films release and it wasn't a common Horner "trick" back then, I don't care anyway, it IS a fantastic piece that blows me away every time I listen to it.
  2. Ascension from Wojciech Kilar's BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA

There are several oustanding cues on this score but this short (50 s.) choral cuelet always strung a special chord with me.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. "When Eight Bells Toll"
    Cue: unknown
    Composer: Angela Morley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ3bnQgBlAc (1:51 in)

Sadly, this wonderful little gem has yet to see an official release on any format (though a re-recording of the main title was including on the Morley compilation).

This outstanding piece begins as our hero makes his way down to a sunken ship where the bad guys are hauling stolen gold from the wreckage. The hero (Anthony Hopkins) makes his way threw the ship and discovers what they are doing. He finds himself in a small area where a bad guiy is using an underwater welding torch to cut open a lock. The bad guy sees him and fight ensues with little room and a welding torch.

The cues beings with mystery and keeps developing and going, building steadily in just a beautiful way, which leads to the breif action music and then a delicate orchestral release (unfortunately, it sounds like they dialed it out before the proper finish, in the film) as the hero surfaces.

That look on the bad guys face threw the scuba mask, is just memorable (to me).

The scene in question:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01GNZ04_BeQ

This was one of the scores I did in my Mystery Score Clips thread, by the way.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2014 edited
    It's an excellent score Justin ( I would instantly buy this ) but it isn't available in recorded form. I'd prefer to keep this thread with choices that are available. I'm amending my original post on page 1 to include this.

Sorry mate, it won't be included on the update list.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2014
    Here's everyone's choices so far...

1) The Ecstasy of Gold - THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Ennio Morricone ( Timmer )
    2) Leia's News / Light of The Force - RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    3) Genesis Countdown - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( Steven )
    4) The Visitors / Buy / End Titles - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams ( Steven )
    5) Ride of The Firemares - KRULL - James Horner ( Southall )
    6) An Odd Discovery Beyond The Trees - THE BOY IN THE STRIPPED PYJAMAS - James Horner ( Thor )
    7) The Enterprise - STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    8) The Blooding - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( FalkirkBairn )
    9) Banishment / Forgiveness - EL-CID - Miklos Rozsa ( Ralph Kruhm )
    10) Adventures On Earth - E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    11) Chevalier de Sangreal - THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer ( Ralph Kruhm )
    12) Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack - STAR WARS - John Williams ( Timmer )
    13) The Second Coming - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( Timmer )
    14) The Asteroid Field - STAR WARS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Erik Woods )
    15) Homer Goes Upstairs - THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - Hugo Friedhofer ( sdtom )
    16) 007 And Counting - DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    17) The Great Eaton - THE LADY IN THE WATER - James Newton Howard ( Steven )
    18) Redemption - FLATLINERS - James Newton Howard ( Captain Future )
    19) Mona - MONA, L'ETOILE SANS NOM - Georges Delerue ( Captain Future )
    20) The Desert - SEVEN - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    21) Main Titles / End Titles - LO IMPOSSIBLE - Fernando Velazquez ( Demetris )
    22) You Are The Pan - HOOK - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    23) I Had A Farm In Africa - OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry ( John Chambers )
    24) Welcome To Jurassic Park - JURASSIC PARK - John Williams ( John Chambers )
    25) Motel - PETULIA - John Barry ( Timmer )
    26) Prelude - VERTIGO - Bernard Herrmann ( John Chambers )
    27) Title Theme - HUCKLEBERRY FINN AND HIS FRIENDS - Ted Ottley ( Captain Future )
    28) The Vast Continent - THE HORSE WHISPERER - Thomas Newman ( markrayen )
    29) Forbidden Friendship - HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - John Powell ( Edmund Meinerts )
    30) My Noble Knight - THE MIGHTY - Trevor Jones ( Justin boggan )
    31) Decent Into Mystery - BATMAN - Danny Elfman ( Artworks )
    32) The Leaving / The Search - CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris ( Plindboe )
    33) Keehar's Theme - WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley ( Justin boggan )
    34) The Lighting of The Beacons - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Jim Ware )
    35) Lillian's Heart Attack - BRAINSTORM - James Horner - ( Timmer )
    36) Ascension - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Captain Future )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You wanted something a little more out of left field?
    Here ya go, my first entry.
  4. According to the rules, does the cue have to be in the film?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You mean like from rejected scores? That would be an interesting addition!
  5. No, a cue that is on the album, but is not in the film (as about a third of that album anyway).
  6. I'm kinda torn between two, one is in film in its entirety, the other one is not in the film at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Captain Future wrote
    Ascension from Wojciech Kilar's BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA

There are several oustanding cues on this score but this short (50 s.) choral cuelet always strung a special chord with me.

Volker

Finally someone mentioned Kilar!hug It would be The Brides from BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA for me though. The whole score is amazing but the particular cue feels like it contains a whole era in its melody.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Am I to recognise this as your choice then Stavi?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    No, a cue that is on the album, but is not in the film (as about a third of that album anyway).

I would say that there isn't any problem with choosing a cue that doesn't feature in the film ( in fact, I believe that my own choice of Motel from John Barry's PETULIA isn't in the film ), anything from rejected scores are welcome too as long as they are available on CD/LP/Download/Bootleg.
  7. "Space Age"
    Cue: Dance of the Blue Wonder
    Composer: Jay Chattaway
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HFwL7FWDxc (6:45 in)

In the early hight of Chattaway's ST:TNG career, he was asked to score a documentary on space. The 1992 program "Space Age" was another of those documnentaries about space, things in space, and so forth. It lasted six episodes (I don't know if he scored all of them). Also, Patrick Stewart hosted.

Surprisingly the score, mostly synth work, recieved a CD release (rare though it is; I found a used copy in a used CD store, for cheap).

For me there is one stand out cue and it's the one I've singled out here. It starts out with a thyunder strike and a simple repeating line of soothing percussion. Eventually more complex percussion counterpoints are added and this wonderful piece reaches just a wonderful feel-good level and a nice theme.