• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hm. FLATLINERS is only available as a boot. What about bootlegs?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2014
    Martijn wrote
    You wanted something a little more out of left field?
    Here ya go, my first entry.

A wonderful, truly sublime choice. A barely known composer and yet this theme is right up there amongst the very best ever written.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm still thinking of a way to do this systematically rather than just shooting off random tracks while forgetting others. I think too much!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Hm. FLATLINERS is only available as a boot. What about bootlegs?

Yes, okay! rolleyes wink

It's now included. I hope I don't have to move the goal posts any wider.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. You should never think for mroe than 30 minutes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2014 edited
    The Other Side from Michael Nyman's GATTACA.

One of my favourite pieces of music. It's so tragic yet incredibly powerful and full of hope. That first note is heartbreaking! I remember seeing the film and being so impressed with the music for this scene. But it took me several years before I found soundtrack. I was triggered by Alan's thread back then. What a fantastic score. Another fabulous track on that cd is The Departure. I think it is Nyman's first (and only?) scifi film.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    You wanted something a little more out of left field?
    Here ya go, my first entry.

A wonderful, truly sublime choice. A barely known composer and yet this theme is right up there amongst the very best ever written.

smile I thought this might meet with your approval.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Timmer wrote
    Am I to recognise this as your choice then Stavi?

Yes,of course!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn

It is times like these that I really need to look myself sternly in the eye (which I assure you is quite hard to do without a mirror!) and remind myself that taste is subjective and that everyone is entitled to their own, rather than bash someone's head in with forty bugles for infinitely repeating ascending and descending string motifs.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    justin boggan wrote
    "Space Age"
    Cue: Dance of the Blue Wonder
    Composer: Jay Chattaway
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HFwL7FWDxc (6:45 in)

uhm

No. Just no.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote

It is times like these that I really need to look myself sternly in the eye (which I assure you is quite hard to do without a mirror!) and remind myself that taste is subjective and that everyone is entitled to their own, rather than bash someone's head in with forty bugles for infinitely repeating ascending and descending string motifs.

If it would've been fluffy, I'd understand. You like fluffy stuff but this is far from fluffy. Flufferdefluff!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    "Space Age"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HFwL7FWDxc (6:45 in)

uhm
    No. Just no.

Really? It's rather soothing (but then I'm really quite partial to the sound of the gamelan).
    Not really (well. Really not) my cup of tea though soundtrack-wise. But definitely a choice out of left field!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's shite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    You like fluffy stuff but this is far from fluffy. Flufferdefluff!

This is about as far removed from 'fluffy', 'charming', 'nice', 'interesting'or indeed 'should be allowed to live' as possible. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    It's shite.

God, you're SO opinionated!
    Why can't you be more openminded, lenient and embracing change like m... Um. Yes.

Carry on.
  3. Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's shite.

God, you're SO opinionated!
    Why can't you be more openminded, lenient and embracing change like m... Um. Yes.

Carry on.

Because he is our board's Mephistopheles. devil

Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!
    Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,
    Ist wert, daß es zugrunde geht;

I am the spirit, ever, that denies!
    And rightly so: since everything created,
    In turn deserves to be annihilated:

Goethe smile
  4. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (season three)
    Cue: Magic Snow Music
    Composer: Christophe Beck
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKFtQNBWYZU

Even though the cue was elevating a beautiful ending, it still has this kind of restrained sorrow in it. A wonderful piece lead mainly by solo woodwinds, with delicate wordless female vocal underneath (unfortunately, I've heard too much TV scoring and know it's sampled) and a slow build to the finale.

This is from the season three score promo as unfortunately one of the annoying things about the Rounder REcords CD of score is that they edited many of the tracks to shorter lengths (so I skipped the CD); a little over 40 seconds were edited out. This is the full promo version. The promo also adds the word Music to the title.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It's shite.

I agree! But to each ones own. Thankfully, in our own space we pick and choose what we want to listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

You're out of your mind. GATTACA is wonderful. Best Nyman, imo, and not the overrated (but still very good) Piano. But what do you expect from someone who adores fluffy balloons and diabetus scores?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Taste and refinement.
    Unlike the cold blue rays of the dark side that permeate the everlasting repetetive hell that is Nyman's Gattaca.

Good film, by the way.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Martijn wrote

You're out of your mind. GATTACA is wonderful. Best Nyman, imo, and not the overrated (but still very good) Piano. But you like the brilliant VOYAGE EN BALLON so I can forgive you

I like GATTACA too cool

Though personally, like Philip Glass, I far prefer the non-film score work of both composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have an opinion on Philip Glass too.
    Shall I share it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Shall I share it?

no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Shall I share it?

Sure, why not!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's everyone's choices so far...

1) The Ecstasy of Gold - THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Ennio Morricone ( Timmer )
    2) Leia's News / Light of The Force - RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    3) Genesis Countdown - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( Steven )
    4) The Visitors / Buy / End Titles - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams ( Steven )
    5) Ride of The Firemares - KRULL - James Horner ( Southall )
    6) An Odd Discovery Beyond The Trees - THE BOY IN THE STRIPPED PYJAMAS - James Horner ( Thor )
    7) The Enterprise - STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    8) The Blooding - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( FalkirkBairn )
    9) Banishment / Forgiveness - EL-CID - Miklos Rozsa ( Ralph Kruhm )
    10) Adventures On Earth - E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    11) Chevalier de Sangreal - THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer ( Ralph Kruhm )
    12) Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack - STAR WARS - John Williams ( Timmer )
    13) The Second Coming - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( Timmer )
    14) The Asteroid Field - STAR WARS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Erik Woods )
    15) Homer Goes Upstairs - THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - Hugo Friedhofer ( sdtom )
    16) 007 And Counting - DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    17) The Great Eaton - THE LADY IN THE WATER - James Newton Howard ( Steven )
    18) Redemption - FLATLINERS - James Newton Howard ( Captain Future )
    19) Mona - MONA, L'ETOILE SANS NOM - Georges Delerue ( Captain Future )
    20) The Desert - SEVEN - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    21) Main Titles / End Titles - LO IMPOSSIBLE - Fernando Velazquez ( Demetris )
    22) You Are The Pan - HOOK - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    23) I Had A Farm In Africa - OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry ( John Chambers )
    24) Welcome To Jurassic Park - JURASSIC PARK - John Williams ( John Chambers )
    25) Motel - PETULIA - John Barry ( Timmer )
    26) Prelude - VERTIGO - Bernard Herrmann ( John Chambers )
    27) Title Theme - HUCKLEBERRY FINN AND HIS FRIENDS - Ted Ottley ( Captain Future )
    28) The Vast Continent - THE HORSE WHISPERER - Thomas Newman ( markrayen )
    29) Forbidden Friendship - HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - John Powell ( Edmund Meinerts )
    30) My Noble Knight - THE MIGHTY - Trevor Jones ( Justin boggan )
    31) Decent Into Mystery - BATMAN - Danny Elfman ( Artworks )
    32) The Leaving / The Search - CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris ( Plindboe )
    33) Keehar's Theme - WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley ( Justin boggan )
    34) The Lighting of The Beacons - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Jim Ware )
    35) Lillian's Heart Attack - BRAINSTORM - James Horner - ( Timmer )
    36) Ascension - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Captain Future )
    37) Prelude / Romanza - WITCHFINDER GENERAL - Paul Ferris ( Martijn )
    38) The Brides - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Stavroula )
    39) Dance of The Blue Wonder - SPACEAGE - Jay Chattaway ( Justin boggan )
    40) The Other Side - GATTACA - Michael Nyman ( Bregt )
    41) Magic Snow Music - BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER - Christophe Beck ( Justin boggan )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BATTLE OF THE SALT PLAINS from Benjamin Bartlett's THE BALLAD OF BIG AL

What a rush!

DINOSAURS
  5. Timonides' Triumph - Barbarian Celebration - Massacre from Dimitri Tiomkin's THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE

I bought the Tadlow recording of this score a few years ago. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, I listened to the CDs once and totally forgot about them. A year ago or so I saw the film on TV and was spellbound by the music. Listening to it again was like a revelation. The cue named above wrenched my heart during a climactic scene of the film and I was delighted to find it on the Tadlow album. (It's C&C, so it had to be there.)
    It's a dialogue between orchestra and organ, the style reminds me of Rimsky Korsakov.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's shite.

I agree! But to each ones own. Thankfully, in our own space we pick and choose what we want to listen to.

True. Though the thread title would dictate a little bit of Orwellian policing, methinks.

If you disagree with me, you'll be sent to room 101.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Along with Sunil?....no thank you! I'll agree!!