• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Is Room 101 where they play nothing but Captain America: The Winter Soldier all day long?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Timonides' Triumph - Barbarian Celebration - Massacre from Dimitri Tiomkin's THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE

I bought the Tadlow recording of this score a few years ago. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, I listened to the CDs once and totally forgot about them. A year ago or so I saw the film on TV and was spellbound by the music. Listening to it again was like a revelation. The cue named above wrenched my heart during a climactic scene of the film and I was delighted to find it on the Tadlow album. (It's C&C, so it had to be there.)
    It's a dialogue between orchestra and organ, the style reminds me of Rimsky Korsakov.

Volker

It is a BRILLIANT score! I'm ashamed to say I still haven't picked this recording up yet. shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Is Room 101 where they play nothing but Captain America: The Winter Soldier all day long?

I'm in! Wait, do they have oil?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, no oil for fans of Winter Soldier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2014 edited
    Sometimes there's a track that just "clicks" and it rises above most of the other pieces of the thousands of scores you've ever listened to...

"Final Salute" from Rachel Portman's HART'S WAR

...is, for me, one of those tracks.

When I first heard it on my first listening to the CD I was immediately drawn to it. The strength and nobility of that theme - and the sadness - was something that was, at that time, part of a piece that had no grounding in the film as I had not seen the film before hearing the score. Part of my experience of life somehow wrapped itself around this track: so much so that I cannot hear that track without it bringing tears to my eyes.

This is what makes it such an outstanding piece of music.

Earlier in the week when I was thinking of what next to post I hunted down the scene from the film over which "Final Salute" is heard (I've still not seen the film) and it was interesting to hear the music in context. It is a powerful accompaniment to the drama but can't approach the emotional power I have associated to the track through my own personal experiences.

For those not familiar with the track here's the piece - http://youtu.be/4kxLPFcOzTw (ignore the visuals as they don't seem appropriate at all)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, hart's war, such a fine score (and nice movie from what i remember)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I remember the film being tedious and a chore to sit through.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    I remember the film being tedious and a chore to sit through.

Perhaps only knowing the music is best then?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    IMO yes!
  3. Timmer wrote
    IMO yes!

Ah, this is an opinion and not a FACT?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FACT! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    IMO = Imperative Maintitles Orders.
    What did you think it meant, Alan? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    IMO = Imperative Maintitles Orders.
    What did you think it meant, Alan? confused

smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    CREATION OF FIRE from Philip Sarde's QUEST FOR FIRE

The Creation of fire

You know those track titles that have you all expectant and you want the music to deliver what the title tantalises you with? Well, here is one that delivers! Atonal, guttural choir builds up to rhythmic orchestral / choral forces with a satisfying conclusion and all within two minutes. Sublimely awesome describes it adequately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Chicken Run Building The Crate John Powell

Kazoos. Need I say more?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Kazoos. Need I say more?

Not without one of these> Green! , no, you can't!
  5. "Batman: The Animated Series" (season one)
    Cue: suite of edited cues.
    Composer Shirley Walker
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GufAHzhNcS8 (5:45 in)

This is a suite from the episode "Fire From Olympus" where a man named Maxwell Zeus has suffered some kind of mental breakdown (not seen on screen) and has transformed himself and life into that of ancient Greek deity Zeus. Things take a turn for the worst when in his insanity he decides he needs to be able to fire lightening bolts like Zeus and develops a deadly lightening canon.

He's not truly evil, but just out of his mind. Either way, Batman has to stop him.

At first I had heard this cue on the old bootleg and assuemd it was some kind of un-used overture, because I could not find most of the score in the episode., but it turned out it was indeed a great editing job by Walker. The entire suite linked in this youtube load, is her doing.
    Indeed, it appears some of the score was simply not in the episode or different and didn't totally match. I've been meaning to, but have yet to get around to, go through the episode and make the comparrison to see exactly what is what.

Pounding timpani, brass, and a thundering theme for Zeus, with delicate moments. This was a fantastic edit job. Another compsoer who sadly died young.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Kazoos. Need I say more?

Not without one of these> :kazoo: , no, you can't!

I don't think they work for me?

Edit: Nope. I'm not part of the elite Kazoo Klub.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    OK, let me try this on for a system, since I desperately need one to do this: I'm going to go through my iTunes collection alphabetically by composer and pick out the highlight tracks in the most noteworthy scores I own by each. First the must-have setpieces and themes that I have a very strong connection to. Then I'm going to do a "second round" later on, where I pick out some of the equally worthy, but perhaps lesser known composers and scores and tracks. Let's see how that works.

First:

THE ABYSS - "Bud on the Ledge" - Alan Silvestri

One of my alltime favourite pieces -- I love both the tinkling mysterioso bits in the beginning, and then when it goes all crazy religious with those tutti major/minor shifts as Bud floats through the underwater city. A goosebump track of goosebump tracks if there ever was one.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. edit
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Kazoos. Need I say more?

Not without one of these> :kazoo: , no, you can't!

A comb and a piece of thin paper will do just fine. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Kazoos. Need I say more?

Not without one of these> Green! , no, you can't!

Only when you have touched the hand of the Magic Belgian Sky Wizard can the great honour be bestowed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think that particular god likes me. I think I'll just go with the Cap'n's advice.

Weeee!!!! silly
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's everyone's choices so far...

1) The Ecstasy of Gold - THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Ennio Morricone ( Timmer )
    2) Leia's News / Light of The Force - RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    3) Genesis Countdown - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( Steven )
    4) The Visitors / Buy / End Titles - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams ( Steven )
    5) Ride of The Firemares - KRULL - James Horner ( Southall )
    6) An Odd Discovery Beyond The Trees - THE BOY IN THE STRIPPED PYJAMAS - James Horner ( Thor )
    7) The Enterprise - STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    8) The Blooding - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( FalkirkBairn )
    9) Banishment / Forgiveness - EL-CID - Miklos Rozsa ( Ralph Kruhm )
    10) Adventures On Earth - E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    11) Chevalier de Sangreal - THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer ( Ralph Kruhm )
    12) Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack - STAR WARS - John Williams ( Timmer )
    13) The Second Coming - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( Timmer )
    14) The Asteroid Field - STAR WARS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Erik Woods )
    15) Homer Goes Upstairs - THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - Hugo Friedhofer ( sdtom )
    16) 007 And Counting - DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    17) The Great Eaton - THE LADY IN THE WATER - James Newton Howard ( Steven )
    18) Redemption - FLATLINERS - James Newton Howard ( Captain Future )
    19) Mona - MONA, L'ETOILE SANS NOM - Georges Delerue ( Captain Future )
    20) The Desert - SEVEN - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    21) Main Titles / End Titles - LO IMPOSSIBLE - Fernando Velazquez ( Demetris )
    22) You Are The Pan - HOOK - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    23) I Had A Farm In Africa - OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry ( John Chambers )
    24) Welcome To Jurassic Park - JURASSIC PARK - John Williams ( John Chambers )
    25) Motel - PETULIA - John Barry ( Timmer )
    26) Prelude - VERTIGO - Bernard Herrmann ( John Chambers )
    27) Title Theme - HUCKLEBERRY FINN AND HIS FRIENDS - Ted Ottley ( Captain Future )
    28) The Vast Continent - THE HORSE WHISPERER - Thomas Newman ( markrayen )
    29) Forbidden Friendship - HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - John Powell ( Edmund Meinerts )
    30) My Noble Knight - THE MIGHTY - Trevor Jones ( Justin boggan )
    31) Decent Into Mystery - BATMAN - Danny Elfman ( Artworks )
    32) The Leaving / The Search - CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris ( Plindboe )
    33) Keehar's Theme - WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley ( Justin boggan )
    34) The Lighting of The Beacons - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Jim Ware )
    35) Lillian's Heart Attack - BRAINSTORM - James Horner - ( Timmer )
    36) Ascension - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Captain Future )
    37) Prelude / Romanza - WITCHFINDER GENERAL - Paul Ferris ( Martijn )
    38) The Brides - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Stavroula )
    39) Dance of The Blue Wonder - SPACEAGE - Jay Chattaway ( Justin boggan )
    40) The Other Side - GATTACA - Michael Nyman ( Bregt )
    41) Magic Snow Music - BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER - Christophe Beck ( Justin boggan )
    42) Battle of The Salt Plains - THE BALLAD OF BIG AL - Benjamin Bartlett ( Timmer )
    43) Triumph/Celebration/Massacre - THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE - Dmitri Tiomkin ( Captain Future )
    44) Final Salute - HART'S WAR - Rachel Portman ( FalkirkBairn )
    45) The Creation of Fire - QUEST FOR FIRE - Philip Sarde - ( Timmer )
    46) Building The Crate - CHICKEN RUN - Harry Gregson Williams & John Powell ( Steven )
    47) ???????? - BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES - Shirley Walker ( Justin boggan )
    48) Bud On The Ledge - THE ABYSS - Alan Silvestri ( Thor )
    49) Journey To Blofeld's hideaway - ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry ( Timmer )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not to be pedantic, but I believe Building The Crate is just John Powell's?
  8. If you are really pedantic, then it uses the rats theme, which was HGW's contribution.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I don't think that particular god likes me. I think I'll just go with the Cap'n's advice.

Weeee!!!! silly

Very fetching! Surely he'll be unable to resist your charms now?
  9. A suggestion: put the compsoers in alphabetical order so people donm't have to go through the entire list to make sure they aren't repeatign an entry, and also shrink the font to small, because it's starting to become logn to scroll through.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    If you are really pedantic, then it uses the rats theme, which was HGW's contribution.

Ah! I sit corrected. Leave it as then!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Weeee!!!! silly

Very fetching! Surely he'll be unable to resist your charms now?

We'll see...