• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    If you are really pedantic, then it uses the rats theme, which was HGW's contribution.

Ah! I sit corrected. Leave it as then!

The arrangement is Powell's in its entirety (and most of the composition), but if we went with the proper royalty crediting (aka cue sheet), it'd be 99% credited to both of them. smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2014
    justin boggan wrote
    A suggestion: put the compsoers in alphabetical order so people donm't have to go through the entire list to make sure they aren't repeatign an entry, and also shrink the font to small, because it's starting to become logn to scroll through.

Erm????? No!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2014
    It's fine as it is. To those unsure whether you're repeating an entry, just have the page open with the list and do a word search in your browser. Simples.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2014 edited
    JOURNEY TO BLOFELD'S HIDEAWAY from John Barry's ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE

Up into the Alps

Wonderful track. You'd be hard pressed to find a piece as expressive of beautiful mountain scenery as this. The version on the original pre-expanded Bond scores was hideously butchered.

p.s. Barry was a massive fan of Gustav Mahler. Mahler's influence really shows in those horns.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2014 edited
    My track of the day:

TWIN PEAKS -- "Main Title" -- Angelo Badalamenti

This theme -- and in fact whole soundtrack -- inspired me to write a whole novel back in the early 90s, and I told Badalamenti as much when I met him. Something about the bassline and the lofty, "echoey" textures connoting the vast mountainscapes, forests and greyish drizzle in the air.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. "Surprise Attack" from James Horner's STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN

http://youtu.be/LaVIIoRKBlk

I always think that the Reliant's surprise attack on the Enterprise is actually quite lumbering and static scene in this film if you try and strip away Horner's music. But with the music, the scene is elevated to something that's actually quite tense - with an excellent pay-off.

One part of this track that I have always been struck by is the short sequence in the scene starting at 3:42 in the clip where Kirk asks Spock for the damage report (it's a part of the track I always bring up). This low strings statement seems quite different to the rest of the track and seems to me to be a direct way to highlight how dire their situation actually is. That short segment is one of the stand-out moments of the film and score.

This 10-minute segment from the film in the clip also contains another great track from the film (not a choice for this list though), "Kirk's Explosive Reply."
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. "In Search of Peace"
    Cue: Aliyah [With Choir]
    Composer: Lee Holdridge
    http://www.intrada.net/sound/LHInSofP_01.m3u (lower qaulity sample)

Intrada released a 2CD set of the score, which has since sold out. I wanted to used the cue Reflections I, but they have no link and there are no youtube videos with the score.

I can't give enough praise to this score. If ever a score deserved a re-issue, it's this one.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014
    Wonderful choice, Justin.
    Yes, it is a very good score, indeed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    OK, let me try this on for a system, since I desperately need one to do this: I'm going to go through my iTunes collection alphabetically by composer and pick out the highlight tracks in the most noteworthy scores I own by each. First the must-have setpieces and themes that I have a very strong connection to. Then I'm going to do a "second round" later on, where I pick out some of the equally worthy, but perhaps lesser known composers and scores and tracks. Let's see how that works.

First:

THE ABYSS - "Bud on the Ledge" - Alan Silvestri

One of my alltime favourite pieces -- I love both the tinkling mysterioso bits in the beginning, and then when it goes all crazy religious with those tutti major/minor shifts as Bud floats through the underwater city. A goosebump track of goosebump tracks if there ever was one.

The abyss is horrible. What's next, pain and gain pieces in this topic as well? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My track of the day:

LOS BORGIA -- "Funeral de Juan" -- Angel Illaramendi

This is one of the tracks that cements Illararemendi as our present-day Delerue. Gorgeous, religious-sounding and a throwback to the music of Monteverdi, Palestrina and others. Gives me the goosebumps every time. Listen to the cue in question here (from 5:21), although the whole Youtube suite is fantastic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

The abyss is horrible. What's next, pain and gain pieces in this topic as well? wink

shocked

I know you may not get on well with the synths (which I actually like), but the orchestral stuff is brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    My track of the day:

LOS BORGIA -- "Funeral de Juan" -- Angel Illaramendi

This is one of the tracks that cements Illararemendi as our present-day Delerue. Gorgeous, religious-sounding and a throwback to the music of Monteverdi, Palestrina and others. Gives me the goosebumps every time. Listen to the cue in question here (from 5:21), although the whole Youtube suite is fantastic.

Excellent, thanks for reminding this to me!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

shocked

I know you may not get on well with the synths (which I actually like), but the orchestral stuff is brilliant.

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah, not for me my friend, no matter how many times i tried. Can't handle that whole 90's synth genre at all, whether in small or large doses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But what about the orchestral parts?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can't remember them much to tell you the truth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ....listen to the last track. It's exactly the antithesis to everything you dislike about film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014 edited
    Indeed. If this is terrible, I want to have what you're smokin', D! smile Be sure to crank up the volume, because it's a very low-volume transfer, for whatever reason.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Indeed. If this is terrible, I want to have what you're smokin', D! smile Be sure to crank up the volume, because it's a very low-volume transfer, for whatever reason.

Perhaps this one is a bit better?

THE ABYSS

D, this is seriously EPIC!!!! Check. It. Out!

EDIT: Different tracks. Check em both out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Indeed. If this is terrible, I don't want to have what you're smokin', D! smile Be sure to crank up the volume, because it's a very low-volume transfer, for whatever reason.

A little correction Thunderer. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...yeah, thanks for the correction.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    "RAINHAMMERS"The Road to Perdition/Thomas Newman.

This is one of a select few of newer scores I listen to.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  4. Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line - Stone in My Heart

I was thinking which piece I should pick from that score and there are actually two. Another one will be put in another post and no neither is actually Journey to the Line, while it's brilliant and effective on its own. Maybe someone else will mention it.

My explanation is again, very personal, though quite weird, possibly. I was listening to this score one day (and ironically, I should do more of that, I try to keep it for special occasions, to an extent, but this is such a therapeutic experience for me that maybe I am actually not doing it enough) and this piece started. Everyone does or should know this one. It's one of the film's themes (structurally speaking it's actually the main theme, a melody for Pvt. Witt) set to a flowing ostinato. Hans told me that this came from a Terrence Malick idea that film music should be like a river, guiding the viewer through the film. It's one of the mantras that he lives by now, in terms of for example Inception, where he took The Thin Red Line as one of the models as per the director's request (Nolan said once this film made him aware of the role sound and music play in a film).

To put it simply, the ostinato put in contrast to the free-flowing sad theme (played by more and more instruments, just to be reduced to a solo violin at the end) is my personality in a nutshell. Somehow, Hans did that.

This cue is not in the film, quite possibly it's one of the thematic suites written for the film that were never even supposed to be eventually used. A lot of the "unused" material on The Thin Red Line's CD may be conceptual material and/or experiments that weren't written for a particular scene.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. "The Journey of Natty Gann"
    Cue: Freight Train
    Composer: James Horner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azTcL9f_jvM
    In action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQhyxG_Quug (1:13:07 in)

The cue slowly builds with more and more energy and releases in a fantastic burst with trumpet playing over it in a exciting manner.

I miss 1980's Horner.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Vader: Sister! So, you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will!

Luke: NEVER!

Need I say more?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Vader: Sister! So, you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will!

Luke: NEVER!

Need I say more?

Volker

Put the bleeding track title up smart ass! tongue

Seriously, do I have to go looking for this to fill in blanks?

Pretty please mon Capitain kiss
  7. "Final Duel / Into the Death Star" (Fox / Arista)

"The Battle of Endor II - The Dark Side Beckons" (Sony)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's everyone's choices so far...

1) The Ecstasy of Gold - THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Ennio Morricone ( Timmer )
    2) Leia's News / Light of The Force - RETURN OF THE JEDI - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    3) Genesis Countdown - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( Steven )
    4) The Visitors / Buy / End Titles - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams ( Steven )
    5) Ride of The Firemares - KRULL - James Horner ( Southall )
    6) An Odd Discovery Beyond The Trees - THE BOY IN THE STRIPPED PYJAMAS - James Horner ( Thor )
    7) The Enterprise - STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith ( Atham )
    8) The Blooding - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( FalkirkBairn )
    9) Banishment / Forgiveness - EL-CID - Miklos Rozsa ( Ralph Kruhm )
    10) Adventures On Earth - E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    11) Chevalier de Sangreal - THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer ( Ralph Kruhm )
    12) Ben's Death and The TIE Fighter Attack - STAR WARS - John Williams ( Timmer )
    13) The Second Coming - THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith ( Timmer )
    14) The Asteroid Field - STAR WARS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - John Williams ( Erik Woods )
    15) Homer Goes Upstairs - THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - Hugo Friedhofer ( sdtom )
    16) 007 And Counting - DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    17) The Great Eaton - THE LADY IN THE WATER - James Newton Howard ( Steven )
    18) Redemption - FLATLINERS - James Newton Howard ( Captain Future )
    19) Mona - MONA, L'ETOILE SANS NOM - Georges Delerue ( Captain Future )
    20) The Desert - SEVEN - Howard Shore ( FalkirkBairn )
    21) Main Titles / End Titles - LO IMPOSSIBLE - Fernando Velazquez ( Demetris )
    22) You Are The Pan - HOOK - John Williams ( Ralph Kruhm )
    23) I Had A Farm In Africa - OUT OF AFRICA - John Barry ( John Chambers )
    24) Welcome To Jurassic Park - JURASSIC PARK - John Williams ( John Chambers )
    25) Motel - PETULIA - John Barry ( Timmer )
    26) Prelude - VERTIGO - Bernard Herrmann ( John Chambers )
    27) Title Theme - HUCKLEBERRY FINN AND HIS FRIENDS - Ted Ottley ( Captain Future )
    28) The Vast Continent - THE HORSE WHISPERER - Thomas Newman ( markrayen )
    29) Forbidden Friendship - HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - John Powell ( Edmund Meinerts )
    30) My Noble Knight - THE MIGHTY - Trevor Jones ( Justin boggan )
    31) Decent Into Mystery - BATMAN - Danny Elfman ( Artworks )
    32) The Leaving / The Search - CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris ( Plindboe )
    33) Keehar's Theme - WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley ( Justin boggan )
    34) The Lighting of The Beacons - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Jim Ware )
    35) Lillian's Heart Attack - BRAINSTORM - James Horner - ( Timmer )
    36) Ascension - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Captain Future )
    37) Prelude / Romanza - WITCHFINDER GENERAL - Paul Ferris ( Martijn )
    38) The Brides - BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar ( Stavroula )
    39) Dance of The Blue Wonder - SPACEAGE - Jay Chattaway ( Justin boggan )
    40) The Other Side - GATTACA - Michael Nyman ( Bregt )
    41) Magic Snow Music - BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER - Christophe Beck ( Justin boggan )
    42) Battle of The Salt Plains - THE BALLAD OF BIG AL - Benjamin Bartlett ( Timmer )
    43) Triumph/Celebration/Massacre - THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE - Dmitri Tiomkin ( Captain Future )
    44) Final Salute - HART'S WAR - Rachel Portman ( FalkirkBairn )
    45) The Creation of Fire - QUEST FOR FIRE - Philip Sarde - ( Timmer )
    46) Building The Crate - CHICKEN RUN - Harry Gregson Williams & John Powell ( Steven )
    47) ???????? - BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES - Shirley Walker ( Justin boggan )
    48) Bud On The Ledge - THE ABYSS - Alan Silvestri ( Thor )
    49) Journey To Blofeld's hideaway - ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry ( Timmer )
    50) Main Title - TWIN PEAKS - Angelo Badalamenti ( Thor )
    51) Surprise Attack - STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN - James Horner ( FalkirkBairn )
    52) Aliyah - IN SEARCH OF PEACE - Lee Holdridge ( Justin boggan )
    53) Funeral de Juan - LOS BORGIAS - Angel Illaramendi ( Thor )
    54) Rainhammers - THE ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman ( sdtom )
    55) Stone In My Heart - THE THIN RED LINE - Hans Zimmer ( PawelStroinski )
    56) Freight Train - THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN - James Horner ( Justin boggan )
    57) Final Duel - STAR WARS THE REVENGE OF THE TIM - John Williams ( Captain Future )
    58) End Credits - THELMA & LOUISE - Hans Zimmer ( Captain Future )
    59) All About Faith - THE PROPHECY - David C. Williams ( Justin boggan )
    60) The End of All Things - LOTR: THE RETURN OF THE KING - Howard Shore ( Artworks )
    61) Clark Farm Shootout - RIDE WITH THE DEVIL - Mychael Danna ( Steven )
    62) Morning On The Ranch - THE RED PONY - Aaron Copland ( sdtom )
    63) Shifting Gears - BULLIT - Lalo Schifrin ( Timmer )
    64) Pursuit of The Pimp Mobile - TRUCK TURNER - Isaac Hayes ( Timmer )
    65) Fall of The South - GONE WITH THE WIND - Max Steiner ( Captain Future )
    66) The Wreck - UNBREAKABLE - James Newton Howard ( Justin boggan )
    67) Chinon / Eleanor's Arrival - THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry ( Timmer )
    68) The Boy Who Accepted The Star - HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE - Joe Hisaishi ( The Grey Pilgrim )
  8. ^ biggrin

Thelma & Louise / End Credits - Hans Zimmer

A powerful piece, the guitar reminicent of David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler. Brilliant Zimmer.