• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I was just about to ask what you thought of it. I don't have the Zimmer references as I have never listened to much of that score - what I have heard I dislike.

Sounds as though you haven't had as strong an immediate reaction to this score as I did.

I like Thin Red Line a lot. But I do an inward rolleyes every time I hear it bleeding into other scores and they're getting numerous.

As I said, a pretty positive reaction from me for my first listen to Automata. I want to listen to it again which is a good sign but no, it didn't blow me away.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2014
    Same here. Some good tracks, some that were mostly 'meh' (the suspense tracks). But I like the use of voices.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Demetris wrote
    Alan you disliked Automata?!?

No, I think Automata will be a Top 5 2014 score for me. The Thin Red Line I was talking about is in my Bottom 5 Zimmer scores.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Now You See Me Brian Tyler

I forgot how good this one was. I have to say, this is up there with Turtles, Iron Man 3 and Fast Five. So much fun.

I think it's a terrible film score but a great album!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah

It's fucking irritating in the film, but then the film is fucking irritating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ROSEMARY'S BABY (Antoni Lazarkiewicz)

The year's best horror/suspense score (a genre I usually dislike vehemently).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: ROSEMARY'S BABY (Antoni Lazarkiewicz)

The year's best horror/suspense score (a genre I usually dislike vehemently).

A remake?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Yeah, an HBO miniseries.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Really!? It could be interesting I suppose.
  3. While the director (Agnieszka Holland, a very famous Polish director doing lots of TV series in America) is great, I've heard THIS is quite abysmal. Though maybe for Zoe Saldana...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2014 edited
    Regardless of the quality of the series (I'd like to see it!), the music is fantastic. Never heard of the composer before.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: The Red Canvas - James Peterson

I'd forgotten just how good - and exhausting - "Ballet For Brawlers" actually is. shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2014
    ^ Love, LOVE, LOVE that score. I wish Peterson would get some quality scoring gigs.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2014 edited
    NP: Automata - Long Spanish Composer's Name Here

Somebody reeeeeeeally loves Alexandre Desplat. wink

Anyway, this is pretty awesome! "Birth of the New Robot" is punk

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Alan you disliked Automata?!?

No, I think Automata will be a Top 5 2014 score for me. The Thin Red Line I was talking about is in my Bottom 5 Zimmer scores.

Sorry, my bad smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Love, LOVE, LOVE that score. I wish Peterson would get some quality scoring gigs.

-Erik-

Yeah it's a shame and a bit odd that he vanished after such a lovely score.
  5. Thor wrote
    Regardless of the quality of the series (I'd like to see it!), the music is fantastic. Never heard of the composer before.

It's the director's family. Son of Holland's sister, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Really? Interesting.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Automata - Zacarías M. de la Riva

Mikael's MovieScore Media has just released this via digital outlets and I heartily recommend this unreservedly.

What a beautiful and haunting start to a score! And the beauty just continues. There's a hard edge mixed in with the solemn strings and the varied choral work. Melodic as well as rhythmic, it's one of those scores where you feel compelled to hunt out the movie to hear the wonderful music in context.

One of my top scores for 2014.

And it's on Spotify. Giving it a listen right now...

NP : AUTOMATA - Zacarias M. de la Riva

smile

A mostly positive listen for me. A bit of temp bleeding ( The Thin Red Line yet-a-bloody-gain rolleyes ) but it didn't bother me too much. I'll be giving another listen soon.

..and I'm giving it a listen again now. I think this could prove to be a "grower" Alan, despite a few irritating moments, for example there are some really promising developments in some tracks that are left unresolved and make it an unsatisfying listen, but then that has always been a problem with film music, still, there's a lot here to enjoy and get your hearing teeth into.

Erik Woods wrote
    Anyway, this is pretty awesome! "Birth of the New Robot" is...

Journey To The Line from The Thin Red Line.

Admittedly better and slightly better disguised than I've heard other composers do.
  6. Just had the postman deliver a fantastic parcel that's going to keep me occupied for the next wee while:

Space:1999 (Year One) - 40th Anniversary Edition - Barry Gray et al.
    U.F.O. - 40th Anniversary Edition - Barry Gray

For a number of years I've been hesitant to fork out for a Fanderson membership, even though they have been releasing some excellent CDs of music for various Gerry Anderson TV shows. But with their release of a 3-CD set of music from Space:1999 I decided to go for it.

And what a good decision that was - and I haven't even gotten to the music yet. What fantastic production values for the booklets: packed full of information and great-looking photos. There's certainly a lot of love and time been put into producing these sets. I'm sure that the music is going to vary in terms of what I like or don't like (well, there is 5 CDs worth of music in total here so there's bound to be a bit not to like) but I am looking forward to delving into Gerry Anderson's worlds for a bit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    lick cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm envious! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anyway, this is pretty awesome! "Birth of the New Robot" is...

Admittedly better and slightly better disguised than I've heard other composers do.

Hummm... I didn't pick that up. I usually do. It must have been REALLY late when I was listening to that. I'll give it another spin today.

-Erik-
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Red Canvas - James Peterson

I'd forgotten just how good - and exhausting - "Ballet For Brawlers" actually is. shame

This really is an amazing score. I still can't believe Ballet for Brawlers wasn't picked best track of the year by the IFMCA a couple of years ago. It shows this score didn't receive that much recognition.

One of the last true filmmusic surprises of the past couple of years for me (meaning a score where I received old school filmmusic in a movie of today)

Thank you Mr. Peterson for that
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

^ I think it's well enough disguised. I mean, it fooled me on my initial listen. tongue I usually detest stuff like that. Anyway, excellent score as a whole.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Red Canvas - James Peterson

This really is an amazing score. I still can't believe Ballet for Brawlers wasn't picked best track of the year by the IFMCA a couple of years ago. It shows this score didn't receive that much recognition.

Whoa... WHOA.... WHOA!

It might not have won track of the year (it was nominated and I did vote for it) but Peterson won BREAKOUT COMPOSER OF THE YEAR and the score won BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR AN ACTION/ADVENTURE FILM. And by winning those awards the IFMCA actually helped Peterson get an agent and some gigs. I think that's quite a bit of recognition on our part.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, Thomas, you mixed things up there, IFMCA recognized and helped Thomas a lot back then.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Indeed, Thomas, you mixed things up there, IFMCA recognized and helped Thomas a lot back then.

Thomas who? Newman?? wink ( I know you meant James, D )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    JP : THE RED CANVAS - James Peterson

Just gave this a listen. I thought for some reason that I'd heard it before, well, obviously not because it's bloody good this! I don't think I'd have just "forgotten" it.
  8. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Automata - Zacarías M. de la Riva

Mikael's MovieScore Media has just released this via digital outlets and I heartily recommend this unreservedly.

What a beautiful and haunting start to a score! And the beauty just continues. There's a hard edge mixed in with the solemn strings and the varied choral work. Melodic as well as rhythmic, it's one of those scores where you feel compelled to hunt out the movie to hear the wonderful music in context.

One of my top scores for 2014.

And it's on Spotify. Giving it a listen right now...

NP : AUTOMATA - Zacarias M. de la Riva

smile

Great indeed smile