• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2015
    Indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Ori and the Blind Forest - Gareth Coker

Well, that 70 minutes breezed by rather quickly. Superb score! Love it! Repeat...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2015 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Inception Hans Zimmer

I loved Zimmer's music in Interstellar (mostly), but this still remains my favourite Zimmer-Nolan score. I'm looking forward to their next collaboration beginning with 'In-'.

"Incontinence"?

A.k.a. Manneken Pis Begins.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. applause
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MONKEY KING (Christopher Young)

I like the calm parts, I'm not that keen on the noisy bombastic parts (massive orchestra, el guitars, drum kits and the whole shebang). No matter how hard I try, I will never be able to embrace this kind of sound anymore, at least not the way I did in the 90s and early 2000s.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    For all its 'bombast' (I know you love that word), it's one of the dullest scores of 2014.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Really? I thought you would be all over this. You seem to like these "Erik Woods" scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nope. Bloody hated it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Okay, that's a little strong. But I certainly don't get why people are going bananas for it, aside from it being a bit loud.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, I prefer "Steven" scores. (But, you know, that's just like my opinion man.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven

A very Steven score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm surprised you don't like The Monkey King. I'd have thought that would be a Steven score.
  2. NP: Glory (1988) - James Horner

A bit too sweet for my taste but great music nonetheless. Typical late 80s/90s Horner. I'd like to hear the music in context. So far I did not.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's a decent enough film, worth seeing. One of my favourite Horner scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    I'm surprised you don't like The Monkey King. I'd have thought that would be a Steven score.

Normally it would be, but it just has nothing I can connect to. (I am being a little harsh, I do get why people might like this, truth be told...but it's not for me.)
  3. NP: A Beautiful Mind (2001) - James Horner

Jaw drops with amazement. Mesmerizing score!

Volker
  4. Thor wrote
    No matter how hard I try, I will never be able to embrace this kind of sound anymore, at least not the way I did in the 90s and early 2000s.

In that case I believe it's time to revoke your film scoring fan license. Hand it over. angry
  5. NP: The Belly of An Architect - Wim Mertens & Glenn Branca

Not heard this one before, but there's some excellent stuff here. The "Andrea Doria" track is a particular highlight.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2015
    NP: Mortdecai - Geoff Zanelli & Mark Ronson

One of my most listened to score right now. I don't know what specific style it lives in, but it certainly inhabit it very well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Belly of An Architect - Wim Mertens & Glenn Branca

Not heard this one before, but there's some excellent stuff here. The "Andrea Doria" track is a particular highlight.

Wim Mertens pieces are quite known, though written some years before this film (Close Cover, Struggle for Pleasure). I like the album as well. A bit special but interesting and varied.
    Kazoo
  6. And I wouldn't combine there names with the and symbol, as those are just leftover tracks by Branca from a rejected score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. justin boggan wrote
    And I wouldn't combine there names with the and symbol, as those are just leftover tracks by Branca from a rejected score.

So, they were not featured in the final film?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Some tracks from the rejected score were, but I don't now which ones.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. NP: Der Schatz A Film Symphony in 5 Acts (1923) - Max Deutsch

This is a 2005 re-recording of the silent film score. Frank Strobel, who also recorded Hupertz's score from METROPOLIS, conducts.
    Sweeping, expressionistic music, very grand, very emotional.
    Max Deutsch (1892-1982) was a French conducter and musical educator. He left rather few compositions of his own. There is no relation to th American composer Adolph Deutsch. No composer named "Deutsch" actually seems to be German. smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2015
    Wolf Totem - J Horner

Such luxurious music. Exceptional.
  10. Hans Zimmer - Crimson Tide

Of all his action scores from the mid-90s this one has aged the best. And it makes the film what it really is. Really, without the score, that film would have been simply a nice action film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2015 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Crimson Tide

Of all his action scores from the mid-90s this one has aged the best. And it makes the film what it really is. Really, without the score, that film would have been simply a nice action film.

That one and the THE ROCK, I would say. They're very close; like siblings where the oldest didn't quite reach the fame and exposure as his younger brother. And their dad, BLACK RAIN, was looming in the horizon.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. The Rock hasn't aged that well. I think the creative (or not so creative) process has a lot to do with it. And the end of the day, Crimson Tide has the specific atmosphere that really makes the score what it is.

I find it interesting that as popular as this film was, nobody really saw it as a psychological thriller using the technological and (partly) action backdrop to compare two attitudes. World War III is an excuse. They're "both right and both wrong". It's about their attitudes. The reason this score is so successful is the paradox of playing the conflict by underplaying it. In other words, Hans downright refuses to take sides and stays in-between the two characters. Admirable.
  12. Crimson Tide's theme is legendary, but I find The Rock much more varied and entertaining as a whole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2015 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Rock hasn't aged that well. I think the creative (or not so creative) process has a lot to do with it. And the end of the day, Crimson Tide has the specific atmosphere that really makes the score what it is.

I would argue that both films have aged fine -- especially within the canons of Scott and Bay. And THE ROCK obviously remains the most popular of the two; still a reference point for a certain type of action aesthetic.

If you asked me to choose a favourite of the two, I would go for THE ROCK as far as score is concerned, and possibly CRIMSON TIDE as far as film is concerned. But it's a tight, tight race in both cases.
    I am extremely serious.