• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorCalcio
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2015 edited
    Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy - Takeharu Ishimoto

I love the Final Fantasy medley that appears at the end of the second disc - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51_3ZoBccVs

I think that Takeharu Ishimoto, whose Dissidia theme is heard at the end of that medley, should be scoring the major entries in the Final Fantasy series now that Nobuo Uematsu has decided scoring FF imitations is better than the real thing. Masashi Hamauzu did a good job with Uematsu on FFX, and as the lead on XIII and its spinoffs, and Yoko Shimomuras XV will be good I'm sure, but Ishimoto's orchestral cues for Dissidia and Type-0 re some of the best I've heard for the series since X and Sakimoto's XII opening title.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Crimson Tide's theme is legendary

Yes, it's right up there with Gone With The Wind, Moon River, Born Free, Lawrence of Arabia.....

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. In my books The Rock is a Glenny-Smith score. I keep forgetting who actually composed the bulk of this score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    In my books The Rock is a Glenny-Smith score. I keep forgetting who actually composed the bulk of this score.

It's a complex ordeal (also includes Harry Gregson-Williams, Don Harper etc.), and I'm sure Pawel can give you a better breakdown, but the crucial thing for me is that the two main themes are Zimmer's -- and they really guide the whole thing.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Yes, it's right up there with Gone With The Wind, Moon River, Born Free, Lawrence of Arabia.....

perhaps not quite shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

biggrin

Perhaps not in terms of public exposure, but I prefer it over all of those you mentioned there!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Really!? Now that does surprise me Thor.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

biggrin

Perhaps not in terms of public exposure, but I prefer it over all of those you mentioned there!

vomit
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Not sure if you're being ironic, but Zimmer's power anthems is about the best music ever created in this world, IMO, so it goes without saying that it will feature highly on my lists. Even above a lotta 'classics'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    Zimmer's power anthems is about the best music ever created in this world

This. Very this.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Not sure if you're being ironic, but Zimmer's power anthems is about the best music ever created in this world, IMO, so it goes without saying that it will feature highly on my lists. Even above a lotta 'classics'.

Oh, I have to disagree, Thor. Those power anthems are rather simplistic pop music. Not unlike rock anthems you hear in heavy metal of glam rock. Very effective and a great listen when you are in the right mood.
    "The best music ever created in this word" - I would not even talk film music here, but Bach, Mozart or Beethoven. IMO.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    "The best music ever created in this word" - I would not even talk film music here

Hmm.
  5. justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

biggrin

vomit

Symphonette #2
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Zimmer's power anthems is about the best music ever created in this world, IMO, so it goes without saying that it will feature highly on my lists. Even above a lotta 'classics'.

Only in Bizarro world.

I mostly detest "power anthems", one of the worst music creations in the entire existence of human kind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Zimmer's power anthems is about the best music ever created in this world, IMO, so it goes without saying that it will feature highly on my lists. Even above a lotta 'classics'.

Only in Bizarro world.

I mostly detest "power anthems", one of the worst music creations in the entire existence of human kind.

He, he....yeah, on this particular 'sound' we're so different, we're not even on the same planet!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Crimson Tide's theme is legendary, but I find The Rock much more varied and entertaining as a whole.

While The Rock is a very good to great film score, I think Crimson Tide would be the one that actually elevates the picture. I don't agree with all the album choices on Crimson Tide (keeping the very length of the album, you could have chosen some better fragments instead of some least interesting parts of Alabama, for example... I also miss the main title cue itself). So I would say that while I understand the arguments that The Rock is the more entertaining album (though it aged a lot to me in the years, I very rarely get back to that score, to be honest, and it was my first ever!), I think on a purely artistic level (the meaning of the music, its application in the picture, even the main theme, actually), Crimson Tide is the better score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I find them both equally brilliant in what they do. It's like choosing between one's children -- not fair! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I find them both equally brilliant in what they do. It's like choosing between one's children -- not fair! smile

For me, if it was a "Sophie's Choice" I'd say fine, kill em both! wink
  7. I think Crimson Tide, as a score, had a bigger responsibility in terms of thematic elements of the film. The Rock is simply a great action film score. Crimson Tide has to be, and is, more than that.

With the power anthem debate, I'm between Timmer and Thor. I think we should look at the approach historically and see that it was created for a specific type of film which suddenly took over other genres. Something tells me that the whole change towards more ambient music (and back to Black Rain roots while at that) in Hans' later career was actually trying to stop the power anthem domination at least in his own oeuvre.

In other words, a power anthem in Crimson Tide, The Rock, Broken Arrow or Peacemaker works very well. Somehow it works very well in Gladiator (though with a more classical edge to it). In Clash of the Titans it really doesn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

biggrin

vomit

Symphonette #2

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Something like that.
  9. NP: Interstellar (2014) - Hans Zimmer

One of Hansi's finest efforts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    Only in Bizarro world.

People with alternate tastes inhabit "Bizarro world" to you? Hmm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    With the power anthem debate, I'm between Timmer and Thor. I think we should look at the approach historically and see that it was created for a specific type of film which suddenly took over other genres. Something tells me that the whole change towards more ambient music (and back to Black Rain roots while at that) in Hans' later career was actually trying to stop the power anthem domination at least in his own oeuvre.

To me, the "greatest" music is defined as that which has the greatest power to make me feel positive emotions. So I guess we are arguing about different parts of the elephant here...of course the legs are not going to be your best source of drinking water if that's what you're looking for...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Presenting the most generic possible Brian Tyler Cue (TM)...

"Fate" from Into the Storm

Wow.
  10. Scribe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

To me, the "greatest" music is defined as that which has the greatest power to make me feel positive emotions. So I guess we are arguing about different parts of the elephant here...of course the legs are not going to be your best source of drinking water if that's what you're looking for...

Well, in case of film music, what I deem the "greatest" film music is the music that does exactly what it has to do. The greatest horror score won't make you feel many positive emotions. The greatest sports score though will want you to work out like hell, because that's what it has to do.

In case of epic scores or generally blockbusters... I don't think it's exactly about giving you a sense of the period the film takes place in, as most of recent epics don't aim at giving you a sense of the period, as they're (I think more than ever) allegories of the modern world. Some people claim that Gladiator is a bit of a media satire for example (Maximus and his rise to celebrity status leading to him beating Commodus, who wants to become a celebrity of his own), there is no recent film that shoves that allegorical aspect more than Scott's Kingdom of Heaven (at a point I'm always wondering why they don't just topple the monarchy and plain elect Balian for president... a Medieval knight fighting for religious tolerance... yeah) and so on.

So while I mourn the loss of the sense of epic present in Rozsa or even Alfred Newman (though Newman most of the time was somehow more restrained... which is a bit of my preference), on the other hand you have to apply for the modern viewer's identification of the character. There are better ways to pull that off without resorting to modern trends though. On my Polish forum we had great fun of the score to The Bible and the attempt to give a power anthem to God. Zimmer himself (a self-admitted atheist) gave a great sense of the Old Testament deity and religious experience with Burning Bush from Prince of Egypt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    He didn't say greatest film music. He said greatest music, period. And that can mean many things to many people.
  11. Ah yeah... though while the anthems can be very rousing (Crimson Tide, Peacemaker, some of the Rock)... I'd say that, say, Crimson Tide as a whole isn't exactly the most optimistic score written smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Zimmer himself (a self-admitted atheist)

Self-admitted atheists are the worse kind of atheists.
  12. And worst of all are convertites. That goes for every religion. wink