• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2015 edited
    LOST? I'm afraid I can't hear that at all. If it had been LOST-like, I wouldn't have liked it (wonderful score in the series, but not very gratifying on album).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cello solo? Check. Atmospheric, airy strings? Check. Delicate piano chords? Check. Tribal drums? Check.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2015
    Those elements do not LOST make, at least not for me. The main property of LOST is those sustained chords that sort of fluctuate slightly, locked as the island's inhabitants themselves. Even when it tries to be more thematic, it's rather stale and gritty. That's not the case with DESERT DANCER at all. It makes full use of the whole harmonic language, tapping into more traditional romantic writing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You obviously haven't listened to Lost enough times to know what you are talking about.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    You obviously haven't listened to Lost enough times to know what you are talking about.

-Erik-

Come on, you know that 'arrogant' schtick of yours doesn't work on me.

Actually, LOST is one of the few Giacchino scores I HAVE listened to properly over the years, as it's the only score of his that I own in addition to JOHN CARTER. But clearly, we are hearing very different things here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Clearly.

-Erik-
  1. I've sampled two or three Wallfisch scores now (except DD, which I didn't find samples of, but if Thor likes it...) and while none of them were certainly bad, I'm just left bored, struggling to hear more of it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    I've sampled two or three Wallfisch scores now (except DD, which I didn't find samples of, but if Thor likes it...) and while none of them were certainly bad, I'm just left bored, struggling to hear more of it.

Well, it's certainly no obscure and unlistenable 70s television score, I'll give you that! smile

Wallfisch is among the best out there, IMO. SUMMER IN FEBRUARY, BHOPAL: A PRAYER FOR RAIN and now DESERT DANCER have all been outstanding! He's like the new Korzeniowski -- he can do no wrong.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

This would not be the first time you accused a score of sounding like Lost when it literally sounded nothing like Lost unless you're specifically looking for similarities.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What were the other times, Matt?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You know, that time you accused a score of sounding like Lost when it literally sounded nothing like Lost (unless you were specifically looking for similarities of course). That time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015
    Uh huh.

-Erik-
  2. Thor wrote
    Well, it's certainly no obscure and unlistenable 70s television score, I'll give you that! smile

The day Mr. Wallfish (like my new nick name?) does an interesting score like the 1970's gave us, I'll stand up and, listen to it, and praise it as needed.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015 edited
    Now you're just being silly, Justin. Wallfisch is an extremely talent composer. His music for the stage version of Peter Pan is glorious and Summer in February is sublime, just to name a few. I'm bored with Desert Danver and overall he's been a bit inconsistent in style (Hammer of the Gods and Conquest 1453 are bizzaro) but he HAS written a few gems and I hope he get some more high profiled gigs in the near future.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    What were the other times, Matt?

-Erik-

I assure you I have no idea. I just remember it's been a thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A thing?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes, you using Lost-like as a criticism of scores that to my mind did not create even the faintest impression of Lost. But, while I am quite certain this has happened at least once before in recent months, since I cannot remember the specific example(s) of this happening, don't worry about it. I'm probably just being delusional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, alrighty then!

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Now you're just being silly, Justin. Wallfisch is an extremely talent composer. His music for the stage version of Peter Pan is glorious and Summer in February is sublime, just to name a few. I'm bored with Desert Danver and overall he's been a bit inconsistent in style (Hammer of the Gods and Conquest 1453 are bizzaro) but he HAS written a few gems and I hope he get some more high profiled gigs in the near future.

-Erik-

Knowing where he "ended up", I think that's what we are going to get from Wallfisch smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. NP: Exodus Gods and Kings (2014) - Alberto Iglesias (With Frederico Jusid and Harry Gregson-Williams)

I didn't like this score initially but it has grown on me enormously in the meanwhile.
    Good thing, all three composers are getting their propper credit. Cudos also to Nicholas Dodd who makes it sound completely rounded and seamless. As others have said already Jusid needs a high profile asignment of his own and I also wouldn't mind HGW do a big score of his own once again. I'm not familiar with much of Iglesias work but I will surely keep an eye on him from now on.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Ian Flemings James Bond 007 ...

NP: For Your Eyes Only (1981) - Bill Conti

Disco Bond. A bit dated but one of the best Bond songs ever and overall a fine score.

James Bond will return in SPECTRE
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Parade of the Athletes David Arnold

It's a bit of a riff on the ID4 theme.... Which is fine by me. This is almost as good as Williams' 'The Olympic Spirit'.

Almost.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Effie Gray - Paul Cantelon

Very beautiful, if maybe a little bit monochromatic for album purposes.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015
    Pillars of Eternity - Justin Bell

Someone's been listening a little too much to the LotR scores. One of the pieces is a rip-off of the Ringwraith music, complete with Mordor ostinato. The rest of the music also has pretty clear ties to the LotR sound. On a positive note, it's all very skillfully composed and generally enjoyable (and works very well in the game, which is amazing).
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    (Hammer of the Gods and Conquest 1453 are bizzaro)

Tell that to Craig Lysy - he recently said he thought Conquest 1453's action music was among the best of the decade so far. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015
    Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    I've sampled two or three Wallfisch scores now (except DD, which I didn't find samples of, but if Thor likes it...) and while none of them were certainly bad, I'm just left bored, struggling to hear more of it.

Wallfisch is among the best out there, IMO. SUMMER IN FEBRUARY, BHOPAL: A PRAYER FOR RAIN and now DESERT DANCER have all been outstanding! He's like the new Korzeniowski -- he can do no wrong.

And Dear Wendy.

And then there's his orchestration and conducting work for Marianlli..
    Kazoo
  7. NP: Chappie (2015) - Hans Zimmer

The CD arrived today from across the Atlantic, shipped by that special exclusive fancy vendor. I am confident this CD will turn into a hugely valuable collectible that one day will support my retirement. wink

Pure, magic electronica! Zimmer has came home again. The man who once promised to be Vangelis' legitiamte heir and scuccessor. This is sublime. I love, love , love this album!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I expected you to like this, Volker. It's one of my favourites of the year. Amazing too, since the film was pants. But it shows once again that brilliant scores can come from bad movies (Goldsmith, anyone?).
    I am extremely serious.
  8. The Great Human Odyssey - Darren Fung

Liking this, enough intimate and powerful moments to go around, thanks to the tantalizing returning piano melody and powerful vocal moments.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Great Human Odyssey - Darren Fung

Liking this, enough intimate and powerful moments to go around, thanks to the tantalizing returning piano melody and powerful vocal moments.

There's a lot of pastiche in it (there's that dreaded word again!) -- of various film music gimmicks in the last 20 years -- but overall I really enjoy it. It's so...."sparkling" (in lack of a better word). Not quite as strong as his LOST YEARS: A PEOPLE'S STRUGGLE FOR JUSTICE, but still within the general territory of that.
    I am extremely serious.