• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Great Human Odyssey - Darren Fung

Liking this, enough intimate and powerful moments to go around, thanks to the tantalizing returning piano melody and powerful vocal moments.

There's a lot of pastiche in it (there's that dreaded word again!) -- of various film music gimmicks in the last 20 years -- but overall I really enjoy it. It's so...."sparkling" (in lack of a better word). Not quite as strong as his LOST YEARS: A PEOPLE'S STRUGGLE FOR JUSTICE, but still within the general territory of that.

It's not new yes, but at least it's not afraid to show its emotion smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015
    Yeah, it definitely wears its heart on the sleeve.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Superman Returns (2006) - John Ottman; John Williams
    The original Warner release.

I love the LLL edition of this score but I also wouldn't want to miss the album presentation. I admire how Ottman dealt with the original material. I think his efforts are on par with those by Alexander Courage.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2015
    I actually think Ottman's score trumps Courage's work.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Good lord, NO!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh yes.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh No! Hell, No!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Hans Zimmer - Broken Arrow

I might be the only person in the world who actually likes it (in its full 2 CD presentation, too!), but I think it's great piece of fun, which actually purposefully ridicules the film. Very melodic too, even if a very acquired taste. Well, what I can say, I like it quite a lot!

In that period alongside Crimson Tide it's the best action score Hans wrote at the time. It's funny that as I started to be a film score fan with The Rock I rarely get back to that one. I guess I grew out of that one somehow smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I like it, too. But I can only stomach the original release.

-Erik-
  4. John Williams - The Book Thief

Revisiting an old friend and a Good Friday change of pace smile
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    I like it, too. But I can only stomach the original release.

-Erik-

Well, the original Milan CD is indeed a very good presentation, but as I was looking to get that one and suddenly the Lala came out, I got the Lala and I enjoy the complete as well, but I do get your point.
  6. Just played: Black Gold (2011) - James Horner

I had almost forgotten all about this score, I never even synced it to my Ipod. Then I read some posts over at Filmtracks ScoreBoard and remembered that Horner did BLACK GOLD for the same director who die WOLF TOTEM and THE NAME OF THE ROSE. So I decided to revisit it.
    I'm not a sucker for arabic flavoured music as a rule but even so I enjoyed what I heard tonight. Expertly crafted smyphonic music with one or two real hilights. I doesn't hold a candle to WOLF TOTEM though IMO.

Volker
  7. NP: Super 8 (2011) - Michael Giacchino

The universe is full of wonders. For example there are people who don't like this wonderful score.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2015
    ^ I like the theme and the final cue but it's not one of my favourite. I HATE the reuse of the bad guy motif from Secret Weapons Over Normandy and the recording is flat and lifeless.

-Erik-
  8. Good thing then that Im not familiar with "Secret Weapons Over Normandy", I guess. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ shocked What is wrong with you? It's only the second best score he's ever written.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I rarely listen to Normandy. It just doesn't pull me back like his film scores do. (Certainly wouldn't put it anywhere near my second favourite Giacchino.)
  9. There's othing wrong with me (in that particular regard). I was just being ironic.

I am currently expanding on my Giacchino collection. UP and EXPANDABLES are ordered. I'll take NORMANDY into concideration provided it's not as deftly overprized as M.O.H. . I'll check.

PS: 50€ just as M.O.H. I don't pay that kind of money for any CD.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    There's othing wrong with me (in that particular regard). I was just being ironic.

I am currently expanding on my Giacchino collection. UP and EXPANDABLES are ordered. I'll take NORMANDY into concideration provided it's not as deftly overprized as M.O.H. . I'll check.

PS: 50€ just as M.O.H. I don't pay that kind of money for any CD.

The MOH scores are on Spotify if you want to check them out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Which is kind way of suggesting to the good Captain the year is 2015.
  10. I am aware of Spotify silly. wink
    Still I am a collector of CDs an that is the first thing I look for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, I used to collect things. Then I realised I'm going to die one day.
  11. Yeah. But before that happens collecting is fun.
    OK, that has to do with having grown up with LPs. Already as a child I loved big LP collections. It has become irrational of course. I get a CD, I rip a digital copy, put it away in a box - I don't even put them on a shelf anymore - and don't look at it in a long time. Still I need to know the physical thing is there. Silly me. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh, I've nothing against it. Though speaking personally, 'collecting' is one particular form of ocd I'm glad to have left behind.
  12. There are quite a few scores I'd love to own (and my collection is not too small), but I don't have any place left on the shelf and any place left for another shelf either...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE INSIDER (various)

What an amazing soundtrack album for such a tremendous bore of a film!
    I am extremely serious.
  13. I love the film, Michael Mann's aesthetic at it's best, a gripping true story and phenomenal performances from Crowe, Pacino and Plummer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I rarely listen to Normandy. It just doesn't pull me back like his film scores do. (Certainly wouldn't put it anywhere near my second favourite Giacchino.)

Well, you suck!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2015 edited
    John Chambers wrote
    I love the film, Michael Mann's aesthetic at it's best, a gripping true story and phenomenal performances from Crowe, Pacino and Plummer.

I love Michael Mann, but I don't like this. I hate it when films are chockful of dialogue that is filled to the brim with plot information. Something I'd rather see saved for books. I prefer films -- and especially Mann -- when there's more reliance on communicating subtext through audiovisuals.

Also I don't find the story particularly interesting, neither in real life nor on screen.

So it's pretty incredible that such a drop dead gorgeous soundtrack album can come from it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How To Train Your Dragon 2 John Powell

I think I might be joining Edmund's team where this is concerned. 'Flying With Mother' is just incredible, both on album and in film.