• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2015
    John Chambers wrote
    I love the film, Michael Mann's aesthetic at it's best, a gripping true story and phenomenal performances from Crowe, Pacino and Plummer.

I possibly wouldn't like it as much now as I did at the time, but I really, really loved it when it came out. Great stuff.
  1. If asked to take one film to a desert island, THE INSIDER could well be the film. A thriller with real stakes. A tale of heroism that's actually alert to moral complexities of a second best world. And Thor hates it, because people talk too much. Thank God Mozart doesn't care that the Emperor thinks there are too many notes in his music. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2015
    Steven wrote
    How To Train Your Dragon 2 John Powell

I think I might be joining Edmund's team where this is concerned. 'Flying With Mother' is just incredible, both on album and in film.

That it's better than the first score? Not quite... for me at least. But that's not a knock against this brilliant score. And "Flying With Mother" is indeed wonderful. Best cue of 2014. FACT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2015
    franz_conrad wrote
    If asked to take one film to a desert island, THE INSIDER could well be the film. A thriller with real stakes. A tale of heroism that's actually alert to moral complexities of a second best world. And Thor hates it, because people talk too much. Thank God Mozart doesn't care that the Emperor thinks there are too many notes in his music. biggrin

I don't hate it as much as I do INHERENT VICE, if that's any comfort. Knowing how we differ on these particular type of movies, I think you'll adore it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

I think I might be joining Edmund's team where this is concerned. 'Flying With Mother' is just incredible, both on album and in film.

That it's better than the first score? Not quite... for me at least. But that's not a knock against this brilliant score. And "Flying With Mother" is indeed wonderful. Best cue of 2014. FACT!

-Erik-

Hmm, perhaps not better, but very nearly equal, if not entirely. I agree, Flying With Mother has become my favourite of 2014 too. A true air-conducting cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Captain Future wrote
    Yeah. But before that happens collecting is fun.
    OK, that has to do with having grown up with LPs. Already as a child I loved big LP collections. It has become irrational of course. I get a CD, I rip a digital copy, put it away in a box - I don't even put them on a shelf anymore - and don't look at it in a long time. Still I need to know the physical thing is there. Silly me. smile

I can relate to this.
    I'm so bad with clinging to physicality that if I have digital media I'll transfer it to CDR and make up covers and all. Talk about reversal of things! But I dislike playing a lot of digi-media. Especially when playing albums that have cues that blend together. I'm just stubbornly old school minded.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

That's not my camp though! They're practically equal in my mind but if forced to pick I too would go with the first by a smidge.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Godzilla - Alexandre Desplat

So good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: OMEN III: THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
  3. NP: John Carter: A Princess of Mars (2012) - Michael Giacchino

Great music. But those "funny" cue titles really bug me.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Broken Horses - John Debney

There's some brilliant material here, fairly Beltrami-like, but half the album feels like filler which is a real shame because otherwise this would be one of his strongest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: John Carter: A Princess of Mars (2012) - Michael Giacchino

Volker

rolleyes
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: John Carter: A Princess of Mars (2012) - Michael Giacchino

Volker

rolleyes

kiss
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BTW, the rolleyes was for complaining about Giacchino's track titles and NOT agreeing with Captain's annoyance.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015
    I know. I am backing up your anti-complaining sentiment.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    beer
  4. Seriously. Of all the things to let yourself be bothered by...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, but are you complaining about Volker's complaining sentiment, or are you complaining about Erik's anti-complaining sentiment and, by extension, Scribe's backing of said anti-complaining sentiment?

Either way, I want to complain.
  5. Have you not learned yet, not to take my mumblings all too serious? spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Furious 7 - Brian Tyler

Hmm, it's a fun score, if a bit too long (as in it wasn't so well produced and feel scattershot and inconsistent, like most Brian Tyler album) as an album. It sounds like a continuation of all material from the previous Brian Tyler scores to the franchise (which is appropriate) with more electronic overdub. There are a couple of new thematic material, and even an "epic"/awkward choir moment, but no standouts like prior scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015 edited
    NP: DANCES WITH WOLVES (John Barry)

My favourite Barry (I think). I'm slowly starting to appreciate other parts that aren't just the Dunbar theme -- probably because the "action music" here is less staccato than it usually is with him.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Have you not learned yet, not to take my mumblings all too serious? spin

Okay, now I'm really confused. By accepting this premise, we should not take all your other mumblings seriously. But by accepting it we're also forced to consider not to take the premise itself seriously, therefore implying we should take your mumblings seriously. But if we reject it, that also means we should take you seriously, therefore implying the premise itself should be taken seriously, furthermore implying not to take it seriously.

Either way, this is all very serious and has given me an existential crisis. I wish to complain.
  6. You're nuts. Seriously. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Now I'm even more confused....
  7. lp wrote

Hmm, it's a fun score, if a bit too long (as in it wasn't so well produced and feel scattershot and inconsistent, like most Brian Tyler album) as an album. It sounds like a continuation of all material from the previous Brian Tyler scores to the franchise (which is appropriate) with more electronic overdub. There are a couple of new thematic material, and even an "epic"/awkward choir moment, but no standouts like prior scores.

I think this score would have been much better without the techno-lite electronic approach. It just somehow doesn't fully agree with the rest of the orchestration. And Tyler of all people is a composer who is definitely able to present a very good interrelation and balance between the electronic and orchestral elements. The way the score is orchestrated and the more melodic lyrical music (a good change for Tyler in terms of the memorability of his non-action music, starting a couple of years ago) though hints at a potentially better score. Oh well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lp wrote

I think this score would have been much better without the techno-lite electronic approach. It just somehow doesn't fully agree with the rest of the orchestration. And Tyler of all people is a composer who is definitely able to present a very good interrelation and balance between the electronic and orchestral elements. The way the score is orchestrated and the more melodic lyrical music (a good change for Tyler in terms of the memorability of his non-action music, starting a couple of years ago) though hints at a potentially better score. Oh well.

I agree. Much about this score seems to be a "cut&paste"/temp influenced score. The electronics doesn't seem so jarring IN the movie FWIW, and kinda of "upgrade" the original orchestral version a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Shuffling has brought up "The Chase Is On" from John Barry's The Chase. What a cue!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hmm, I'm also doing a shuffle, and it brought up 'Jenny' from The Rocketeer. Absolutely brilliant, merging Jenny's theme and the Rocketeer's theme in one piece to create the love theme. Incredible.
  8. Steven wrote
    Hmm, I'm also doing a shuffle, and it brought up 'Jenny' from The Rocketeer. Absolutely brilliant, merging Jenny's theme and the Rocketeer's theme in one piece to create the love theme. Incredible.

Yes!!

NP - THE GREAT HUMAN ODYSSEY (which is, btw, a word I can never spell correctly on my first attempt) - Darren Fung

On my first listen now. This is really good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Scarlet Letter - John Barry

This is great. I miss John Barry.