• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Was mostly (my point) on Zimmer's noisy mess being a better score than Horner's.

I don't think it's a noisy mess at all. I think it a rather focused score that plays to Zimmer's strengths as a composer. There's themes galore (Electros Theme(s) is(are) utterly fascinating) and he did a brilliant job in balancing them all... and balancing the two distinct sounds in the picture; organic with the electronic.

Demetris wrote
    As for Elfman's, well no. But Young's spiderman music is indeed very good.

"Elfman's, well no" what? confused

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2014
    Don't like it, apart the main theme.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    I thought what Zimmer did with his Spider-Man music was far more interesting musically and creatively. Great battle between the organic hero music and the electronic bad guy stuff.

Young's score is vastly underrated probably due to the fact that 1) the score was never released and 2) the film was a steaming pile of dog shit.

As for Elfman's efforts. They are classics of the genre. Elfman just got it. Everything from the romance between Parker and Mary Jane to Parker's duel identity and the bad guy motifs. I mean, Doc Ock eight note motif is the stroke of genius!

-Erik-

ON POINT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Hell just froze over! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fuck me! omg
  1. Well no. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Fury - Steven Price

I know that there is no RIGHT way to score to a film and this could just be me but hearing a modern score of this sort in a film set in 1945 seems... well, THIS!

suicide

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Hell just froze over! wink

-Erik-

ON POINT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

I know that there is no RIGHT way to score to a film and this could just be me but hearing a modern score of this sort in a film set in 1945 seems... well, THIS!

suicide

-Erik-

It's a world war 2 film ffs. I am sure that when i watch the film, the score will be even more unfitting than what i imagine it to be on disc. Same as the flawed Gone Girl last night (referring to the awful score).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

suicide

-Erik-

I don't think it's fruitful to be hung up in the period. Horner scored the middle ages with synths in IN THE NAME OF THE ROSE. 80s pop songs were used wonderfully in A KNIGHT'S TALE. Martinez scored the medical drama THE KNICK set to the early 1900s with a brilliant, throbbing electronics. And so on.

What matters is more the style of the film, and if the music conveys the right drama etc. The proof is in the pudding.

As such, I have no problem with such an approach in general (although I haven't yet seen the film in question yet).

However, I'm not particularly enamoured with FURY on album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

suicide

-Erik-

I don't think it's fruitful to be hung up in the period. Horner scored the middle ages with synths in IN THE NAME OF THE ROSE.

Yes and it's awful, movie and score.

80s pop songs were used wonderfully in A KNIGHT'S TALE.

Still awful. A retard Rocky on a horse. Silly film.

Martinez scored the medical drama THE KNICK set to the early 1900s with a brilliant, throbbing electronics. And so on.

This is very good but it's in the era the knick was set in...no anachronism...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Gone Girl - Reznor/Ross

It's OK for what it is, but it doesn't have much ambition. I don't want to listen to it for an hour and a half though. Cliff Martinez does this sort of thing so very much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have you seen the film? it's SO bad in it.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Red Canvas - James Peterson

I'd forgotten just how good - and exhausting - "Ballet For Brawlers" actually is. shame

This really is an amazing score. I still can't believe Ballet for Brawlers wasn't picked best track of the year by the IFMCA a couple of years ago. It shows this score didn't receive that much recognition.

Whoa... WHOA.... WHOA!

It might not have won track of the year (it was nominated and I did vote for it) but Peterson won BREAKOUT COMPOSER OF THE YEAR and the score won BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR AN ACTION/ADVENTURE FILM. And by winning those awards the IFMCA actually helped Peterson get an agent and some gigs. I think that's quite a bit of recognition on our part.

-Erik-

still, picking Alice's Theme from Danny Elfman over this track is not right. Alice's Theme is a wonderful track, but I have the feeling Alice in Wonderland was picked because a lot more people heard it, and not everybody heard The Red Canvas. That track Ballet for Brawlers is one of the best cues of the last 10 years for me. SIMPLY because it underscores a movie scene, a fight, not the end credits where it has more freedom to develop its ideas.

That's what makes the cue so amazing for me. The development in still restricted boundaries.
    That's what I immediately felt when it didn't win best cue of the year.

and ps, I wasn't attacking IFMCA for not recognizing it. It did. And I'm glad we did because he deserved it. smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Demetris wrote
    Indeed, Thomas, you mixed things up there, IFMCA recognized and helped Thomas a lot back then.

I didn't mix things up, that was my immediate reaction to that. and that's logical too. Because big blockbusters receive more attention than smaller films, aka also smaller unknown scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    still, picking Alice's Theme from Danny Elfman over this track is not right. Alice's Theme is a wonderful track, but I have the feeling Alice in Wonderland was picked because a lot more people heard it, and not everybody heard The Red Canvas.

face-palm-mt

Dood... every member heard it! If not, then it wouldn't have won the other awards it did. I understand you are angry but give your head a shake! spin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    True, Red Canvas was much popular and densely talked in IFMCA at the time.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    still, picking Alice's Theme from Danny Elfman over this track is not right. Alice's Theme is a wonderful track, but I have the feeling Alice in Wonderland was picked because a lot more people heard it, and not everybody heard The Red Canvas.

face-palm-mt

Dood... every member heard it! If not, then it wouldn't have won the other awards it did. I understand you are angry but give your head a shake! spin

-Erik-

I don't know if EVERY member heard it, but my personal reaction says no. That's my gut reaction. I'm not angry about it smile. Was just surprised it didn't win that award as well. Because we should thank the lucky stars a piece of brilliance like that still gets made nowadays.

and I'm glad we (IFMCA) gave it a lot more recognition than other award associations. That's why we're there in the first place
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Honestly, I'd rather it win the awards that it did then just track of the year.

-Erik-

PS - Alice's Theme is phenomenal!
  5. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I rather had it won everything wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Alice in Wonderland, such a gorgeous score and film!
  6. Erik Woods wrote

rub it in why don't ya tongue
  7. Well, he's not wrong, is he?
  8. NP: Automata (de la Riva)

Hmmm... bought this on iTunes after listening to samples. Somehow it's ended up feeling like less than the promise of the clips. Well written, but a bit uninvolving. (Maybe it's having to pay for it -- always makes me a bit more 'objective' about the value of something. wink )
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

suicide

-Erik-

I don't think it's fruitful to be hung up in the period. Horner scored the middle ages with synths in IN THE NAME OF THE ROSE.

You are so very wrong here, so very, very wrong!

V.

PS: Oh, and D, you HAVE to watch 2010! Just saw it on BR and it is so stunning. The design of the Russian ship, the design of DISCOVERY, the design of everything! That compelling story! That cast! The practical effect shots are crisp as fried chicken skin! Never saw anything remotely as convincing in CGI (I guess). GO SEE THAT MOVIE!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

Indeed.
    Exceedingly wrong.
    Mindbendingly wrong. Wrong beyond so many shapes of wrongness that it actually comes full circle to being right, only to take a wrong turn again and veer off into the void, screaming from madness.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

suicide

-Erik-

V.

PS: Oh, and D, you HAVE to watch 2010! Just saw it on BR and it is so stunning. The design of the Russian ship, the design of DISCOVERY, the design of everything! That compelling story! That cast! The practical effect shots are crisp as fried chicken skin! Never saw anything remotely as convincing in CGI (I guess). GO SEE THAT MOVIE!

I will my friend, i will! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Well, he's not wrong, is he?

Nope! Alice theme is BRILLIANT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

Indeed.
    Exceedingly wrong.
    Mindbendingly wrong. Wrong beyond so many shapes of wrongness that it actually comes full circle to being right, only to take a wrong turn again and veer off into the void, screaming from madness.

yeah FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote

How oddly in-synch we are. I just watched this again the other night after our conversations about it recently ( not on BR unfortunately ), I agree with the Captain. The film stands up brilliantly and I fell in love with it all over again. I still wish the score was purely orchestral and I believe D will have issues with it ( we'll see? ) but I like it a lot more now than I did then.