• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Has anyone seen FURY?

I was only asking. not saying anyone can't comment without seeing the film. wink

Indeed, but Thor is saying that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    You're putting music over something where music doesn't naturally belong,

What do you mean exactly? Cinema? No way you mean that music doesn't naturally belong on film in cinema. You mean something else i believe that i don't understand.

Underscore is a more formalist element in cinema. It tends to work against the impression of mimesis (seeing something really happen) in favour of diegesis (a story is being told to us).
    Which is why films that seek that verite feel (eg cloverfield,
    a separation) struggle to find much room for score.

Oh my.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Has anyone seen FURY?

I was only asking. not saying anyone can't comment without seeing the film. wink

Indeed, but Thor is saying that!

No, no. I'm saying you cannot comment on how the score works in CONTEXT without having seen the film (which everyone and their grandmother seemed to be doing before). Of course, we can say whatever we want about the album. Personally -- while I absolutely loved GRAVITY (both in the film and somewhat less enthusiastically on album) -- I didn't really connect to FURY on album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  1. Btw Tim --my comment about people always talking about films they haven't seen around here was intended as parody. wink too dry.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2014 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Btw Tim --my comment about people always talking about films they haven't seen around here was intended as parody. wink too dry.

rolleyes <-at myself wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: The Social Network (2010) - Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross

I have never seen the film and can't comment on how this works as a film score. As a pure listening experiance I think this is first class electronica. I can see how this must be irritating for people who come from a classical background. Yet if you are familiar with what acts like Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze or Ashra Tempel did in the 70s and 80s or with House / Trance music of the 90s, you will likely appreceate what Reznor and Ross did here. The same goes for Price's Gravity.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Social Network (2010) - Trenz Reznor & Atticus Ross

I have never seen the film and can't comment on how this works as a film score. as a pure listening experiance I think this is first class electronica. I can see how this must be irritating for people who come from a classical background. Yet if you are familiar with what acts like Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze or Ashra Tempel did in the 70s and 80s or with House / Trance music of the 90s, you will likely appreceate what Reznor and Ross did here. The same goes for Price's Gravity.

Volker

yeah
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2014
    NP : MIDNIGHT EXPRESS - Giorgio Moroder

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2014 edited
    NP: THE BOXTROLLS (Dario Marianelli)

I try and I try, but I simply can't make myself to like this. Too whimsical and Desplat-ian for my taste. I want to hear more of the Marianelli from JANE EYRE and SALMON FISHING IN YEMEN. This and ANNA KARENINA were somewhat of a disappointment to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2014
    Automata - de la Riva

I do like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

I try and I try, but I simply can't make myself to like this. Too whimsical and Desplat-ian for my taste. I want to hear more of the Marianelli from JANE EYRE and SALMON FISHING IN YEMEN. This and ANNA KARENINA were somewhat of a disappointment to me.

I agree with you but not on Anna Karenina which is trademarked beautiful and classy a la Marianelli's lush writing standards. Have you watched the film ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

I agree with you but not on Anna Karenina which is trademarked beautiful and classy a la Marianelli's lush writing standards. Have you watched the film ?

I tried, but I had to turn it off after about 15 minutes. That kind of stagey setup is not for me (unless it's done really minimalistic, like in von Trier's DOGVILLE, where practically everything but the characters is left to the imagination).

Marianelli played some 20 minutes of KARENINA in Krakow, and after 5 minutes I said to myself "enough with the waltzes already". For a better rendition of Russian music and, I guess, waltzes, try Doyle's gorgeous EAST-WEST.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice movie, enjoyable. The theme is very strong (Marianelli). Let me listen to the Doyle one as well and i'll tell you, thanks
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. NP: Der Himmel über Berlin / Wings of Desire (1987) - Jürgen Knieper

I so love this film by Wim Wenders! It's so much better than the US remake City of Angles. The soundtrack contains the orginal score by Knieper, additional music and text by lyricist Peter Handke, read - beyond others - by Bruno Ganz. Knieper's sophisticated composition is a perfect reflection of the moods that characterize the film.
    This CD is a collector's item. I have seen it being sold for 100 €. I was now able to secure a used copy in mint condition for 12 €. Lucky me. smile Good things come to those who wait.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE SECRET OF NIMH (Jerry Goldsmith)

I never cared much for this, and don't understand what everyone else is seeing in it. A bunch of whimsical and rather directionless exercises for orchestra. OK, the main theme is cute, but that's about it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Same. (I feel it's always worth mentioning when I agree with you on something.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WILD SALOMÉ (Jeff Beal)

One of the year's best scores. Lyrical beauty aplenty.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE SECRET OF NIMH (Jerry Goldsmith)

I never cared much for this, and don't understand what everyone else is seeing in it. A bunch of whimsical and rather directionless exercises for orchestra. OK, the main theme is cute, but that's about it.

The song is on the sickly side but this is an EXCELLENT score. Goldsmith does Ravel.

You and Steven should get a room.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ravel? Can't really hear it. In LEGEND, sure. In this, not really.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes. Ravel and Debussy are there but not in an overt James Horner ripping way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Seven Years in Tibet - John Williams (composer)

I offer no comment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Just to be clear, that's Seven Years In Tibet the motion picture?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2014 edited
    They made a motion picture about that? Sounds awful.

Speaking of which...

First Knight Jerry Goldsmith

The eternal curse of a film music fan is explaining to the 'layperson' how such good music can come from such tripe.
  4. NP: Born Free - John Barry
    The Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by Frederic Talgorn (VS, 2000)

Another new one in my colletion. I opted for this version rather than the FSM original recording because this one offeres more music and the song with Matt Monro I have elsewhere.

The world famous theme gets nice variations throughout. Apart from that it's good but not outstanding Barry fare.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014
    Yes. The theme is outstanding and quite rightly one of the greatest evergreen's ever written, a song that has and will long outlive it's film. As JB's biggest fan around these here parts I have to agree with you and it isn't an album I often play ( yes, I also have the FSM original soundtrack too ).

In fact I may well give Talgorn's recording a listen later on today just to see if I still feel the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Pan Tadeusz - Wojciech Kilar

Beautiful! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    NP: Pan Tadeusz - Wojciech Kilar

Beautiful! cool

One of my favourite Kilar scores!