• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Picasso - Román Vlad

I was just browsing around music clips and came across this score for a 1954 Italian documentary on the painter, Picasso. After having seen some of the documentary and the album having the subheading "Flamenco Score for Orchestra and Guitar", I was intrigued.

Starting off almost pastoral in style, as the score progresses the music becomes more Spanish in nature: the aforementioned guitar and flamenco-style taking over the score. The sound quality of the recording - and some of the edits - can be a bit off-putting but I think that it's worth putting up with for Vlad's music.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundtrack-Docu … co+ferrara

The score is available on Spotify also.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Ladyhawke (1985) - Andrew Powell
    on YouTube

The Alan-Parsons-resemblance is unmistakably there. But just like Robertson's Hawk the Slayer (1980) (which in turn has a resemblance to Jeff Wayne's WOTW) I just don't like pop driven scores for live action drama enough to buy them on CD. I seem to associate this kind of music with 80s animated TV shows.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ladyhawke (1985) - Andrew Powell
    on YouTube

The Alan-Parsons-resemblance is unmistakably there. But just like Robertson's Hawk the Slayer (1980) (which in turn has a resemblance to Jeff Wayne's WOTW) I just don't like pop driven scores for live action drama enough to buy them on CD. I seem to associate this kind of music with 80s animated TV shows.

Volker

That's fine, but the majority of the GNP CD is made up of straightforward orchestral romantic music in the style of James Horner or John Williams. You should check out the whole album on Spotify instead (if it's there).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Yes it is. I'm afraid, the whole album is also on YT. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    NP: Naked Lunch - Howard Shore & Ornette Coleman

It's effectively a freeform jazz/lounge version of Shore's The Cell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jim Ware wrote
    NP: Naked Lunch - Howard Shore & Ornette Coleman

It's effectively a freeform jazz/lounge version of Shore's The Cell.

Can't stand that score, I'm afraid (nor most Cronenberg/Shore efforts). I tried it again recently, with the new rerelease of three scores from their collaboration, and it confirmed what I thought way back in the 90s.

BUT...the film is intriguing. Although I don't like the music most of the time, I'm often fascinated by Cronenberg films.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams (composer)

Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014
    Very beautiful, heartfelt score, for an overlong boring movie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote

A gorgeous-looking movie, though.

As for Williams' score, it was really the last time he delved into strong, thematic material, IMO. There have been themes in his scores since, of course, but for the most part it's a display in rhytmical figures. Not the overt, life-affirming melodies (except maybe bits of WAR HORSE).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Only 'bits' of Star Wars have life-affirming melodies too - so War Horse certainly counts I would say! Also, only two out five of his scores released since Memoirs have had 'rhythmical figures' in terms of themes (Mutt's theme and Snowy's theme). But all of them have strong thematic material, or at the very least strong thematic structure, ala Book Thief and Crystal Skull (both of which don't have particularly strong themes IMO).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have a slightly different evaluation. I like MUNICH, INDY IV, TINTIN, WAR HORSE, LINCOLN and BOOK THIEF for different reasons, but none of them (except bits of WAR HORSE, as previously noted) have that kind of lush, clearly defined melodic writing like MEMOIRS, IMO. The themes in these films seem mostly molded in a sort of 'module'-style approach that he's been very much into throughout all the 2000s (I think maybe A.I. was the one that triggered the change in 'overall sound', but it's debatable).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Judge - Thomas Newman

I agree with most; this is the sort of music Newman could easily write at gunpoint, but it is lovely in places.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: Jayson Bend: Queen and Country - Matt Carter

imdb.com says of this short film: "Jayson Bend, R.I.M. Agent 009, teams up with a Swiss counterpart to try and stop the launch of a satellite that will turn Ray Perdood, the owner of the largest global hair salon chain, into one of the most powerful men in the world."

The music is by Matt Carter, who is also the director, cinematographer and editor. A James Bond spoof, this music could be quite atrocious...but the clips sound reasonably decent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jayson-Bend-Cou … ayson+bend

And here's the titles sequence for the movie: http://vimeo.com/84637555 biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

A gorgeous-looking movie, though.

True, a gorgeous-looking overlong and boring music video-clip with fantastic music smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. I don't like the film either apart from the score and the production design.
  5. Marc Timon Barcolo - Coliseum

It's on Spotify.

AND BRILLIANT. Thanks, Erik!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I shall check it out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SOMEWHERE IN TIME (John Barry)

Beautiful!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Marc Timon Barcolo - Coliseum

It's on Spotify.

AND BRILLIANT. Thanks, Erik!

beer
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Se7en - Howard Shore

Brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FIELD OF DREAMS (James Horner)

Hard to believe that I owned this once upon a time, but disliked it so much that I sold it. Today, I find it absolutely spellbinding. The evolution of the human mind is a curious thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    The evolution of the human mind is a curious thing.

Hard to believe that your stance on C&C releases has changed as well... errrr..... ummm... wait a minute.

uhm

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he....well, some things need to stay the same, thank God.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2014
    dizzy biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Beautiful!

I still think it's odd that this film became a huge cult classic. It's a nice film with good performances and a lovely score but I just don't get the following it has/had.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Beautiful!

I still think it's odd that this film became a huge cult classic. It's a nice film with good performances and a lovely score but I just don't get the following it has/had.

I think that Barry's score had a lot to do with it. Beautifully romantic score for a so-so film. I am sure word-of-mouth recommendations (again, heightened by Barry's score) made it the success it turned out to be.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Beautiful!

I think that Barry's score had a lot to do with it. Beautifully romantic score for a so-so film. I am sure word-of-mouth recommendations (again, heightened by Barry's score) made it the success it turned out to be.

The attention Barry's score got is in no small part due to the use of Rachmaninov's piece in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And here's the titles sequence for the movie: http://vimeo.com/84637555 biggrin

Obvious, but quite fun! biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : COLISEUM - Marc Timon Barcelo

Only a few tracks in so far. My impressions are favourable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : COLISEUM - Marc Timon Barcelo

Only a few tracks in so far. My impressions are favourable.

More than favourable. I agree with Pawel, this is BRILLIANT! I can't wait to play this again.