• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2014
    It's somewhat derivative, but without doubt enjoyable. It's very "Erik Woods". smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What isn't derivative these days? As far as I can hear this is done better than most.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    What isn't derivative these days? As far as I can hear this is done better than most.

True, but there are degrees. However, I've never really cared that much about it in the first place. I can enjoy a good pastiche as much as anyone else.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. But isn't the point of this one to harken back to the epic scores of Rózsa and North as well as looking to more recent influences such as Hans Zimmer? Then it's bound to be "derivative"?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But isn't the point of this one to harken back to the epic scores of Rózsa and North as well as looking to more recent influences such as Hans Zimmer? Then it's bound to be "derivative"?

In this case, perhaps. But in general, I think it's possible to combine influences with one's own personal trademark.

But I enjoy a good Joel McNeely or John Debney or whatever too, even if it's a riff on Williams (who's one of those who combines tradition with a series of very special trademarks). For me, this falls into the Debney/McNeely category. I enjoy it for what it is.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : COLISEUM - Marc Timon Barcelo

Only a few tracks in so far. My impressions are favourable.

More than favourable. I agree with Pawel, this is BRILLIANT! I can't wait to play this again.

Yes... to Timmer you listen!

It's brilliant. I've played it three times already. I wasn't prepared for the emotional punch in the gut the track "Exotic Dances from Egypt " was going to deliver. For the most part it's a lovely Egyptian styled piece... nice melody and percussion... but then the choir comes out of nowhere and it's huge. All of a sudden tears begin to flow. I'm bowled over with emotion. BTW, I'm driving. Corny, I know, but it's been a while since I've had a reaction like that.

It's my favourite album of the year... by far! Like I said before, it's a love letter to the Hollywood epics of the past and present and Marc Timon Barcelo does it brilliantly. Great hear a composer going back to the past to actually study the music of Rozsa and try to mix it with the modern stylings of a Hans Zimmer. I think it's a fantastic hybrid of styles, which Barcelo combines like no other composer has done before. That might NOT actually be true but I can't think of another score that plays like this one.

A wonderful musical journey. Not one note was wasted.

Highly, HIGHLY recommended!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMWippel
    NP: Kundun - Philip Glass

Even listening to this music for the estimated 1000th time - it´s still moving, fascinating just brilliant.
    Best Glass soundtrack in my view. I´d rate this 10/10 - a timeless masterpiece
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

More than favourable. I agree with Pawel, this is BRILLIANT! I can't wait to play this again.

It's brilliant. I've played it three times already. I wasn't prepared for the emotional punch in the gut the track "Exotic Dances from Egypt " was going to deliver. For the most part it's a lovely Egyptian styled piece... nice melody and percussion... but then the choir comes out of nowhere and it's huge. All of a sudden tears begin to flow. I'm bowled over with emotion. BTW, I'm driving. Corny, I know, but it's been a while since I've had a reaction like that.

It's my favourite album of the year... by far! Like I said before, it's a love letter to the Hollywood epics of the past and present and Marc Timon Barcelo does it brilliantly. Great hear a composer going back to the past to actually study the music of Rozsa and try to mix it with the modern stylings of a Hans Zimmer. I think it's a fantastic hybrid of styles, which Barcelo combines like no other composer has done before. That might NOT actually be true but I can't think of another score that plays like this one.

-Erik-

I don't think there was a score that combined the strength of both approaches. The best way to try and introduce the younger generations to the Golden Age, I believe.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, it's nice to see such enthusiasm for a score, even though I don't share it to the same degree. But I could easily see myself swooning over this in the 90s.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You're weird. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMWippel
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2014 edited
    NP: Marco Polo - Ennio Morricone

Night duty - so its time for a lot of film music biggrin
    Beeing not the biggest Morricone fan on this planet - but this one is gorgeous!!! 9/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Angela's Ashes John Williams

I despise the word 'detox', and I tend to cringe at the notion of a soul. That said, this is like a detox for the soul.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

I despise the word 'detox', and I tend to cringe at the notion of a soul. That said, this is like a detox for the soul.

This is in my Top 10 Williams, and that's saying something since I have (and have heard) everything he's ever done.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE (Jon Brion)

Weird, but somehow captivating.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. MWippel wrote

Even listening to this music for the estimated 1000th time - it´s still moving, fascinating just brilliant.

I agree, top 5 scores of all time for me. Extraordinary stuff. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

This is in my Top 10 Williams, and that's saying something since I have (and have heard) everything he's ever done.

Without a doubt this is in my top ten. Maybe top five, but a top five is nigh on impossible with John Williams (unless you know the equation which allows one to list things quantitatively, which I'm afraid I don't).
  4. This is my equation:

Rank = A*(1-c)*e^(x-g) + (d-b)

A = Number of themes
    e = is the typical euler number
    x = separately compiled index of calculated for each score that rates thematic diversity
    g = penalty factor for excessive pastoral Americana
    c = proportion of great score material that didn't make the album
    d = is there a concert suite?
    b = is the concert suite used lazily twice on the album OR does the concert suite sub in for a separately composed end credits suite
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like ice cream.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. We can factor that in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Your equation seems to imply you're going to end up with a few negative lists. I think we could make a thread out of this. Cobweb is welcome of course.
  6. What kind of graph would that result in?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote

A unique and evocative description.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. Steven wrote
    Your equation seems to imply you're going to end up with a few negative lists. I think we could make a thread out of this. Cobweb is welcome of course.

What's important is the ranking within oeuvre here. We can always do a mean shift later to adjust with differences in average composer quality (that algorithm is a bit more complicated).
  8. Actually the bigger problem with that algorithm is it doesn't produce a rank, it produces a score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2014
    Coliseum - Marc Timon Barcelo

This is rather good. Using the franz_conrad scoring system I would say it wanks as high as any in Wome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Transfats: Time for Extinction - Jablonsky

Dare I use the word "derivative" here?

Onto something else as fast as possible!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Without a doubt this is in my top ten. Maybe top five, but a top five is nigh on impossible with John Williams (unless you know the equation which allows one to list things quantitatively, which I'm afraid I don't).

It's high on my list too. JW definitely channelling RVW here. In the entire history of all existence there is no greater two people with the surname Williams. Beyond fact. FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    MWippel wrote

I agree! Great score. Though I far prefer his non-film music works.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

I don't think there was a score that combined the strength of both approaches. The best way to try and introduce the younger generations to the Golden Age, I believe.

I'm listening again to it now and I couldn't agree more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    We need more people with the spark and energy of Marc Timon, in this genre.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.