• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMWippel
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014
    ARARAT - Mychael Danna

Wonderful and emotional score with strong ethnic influences, one of the best Danna´s - 7 /10
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That one was Christophe Beck. You might be forgiven for mistaking the two though. tongue

See my point? wallpaper , impersonal music by the numbers wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Demetris wrote

Right, but you can't exactly write Ben-Hur for a modern comedy movie, can you. What composer has ever gotten really strong material out of that kind of film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Philippe Rombi. Georges Delerue, Henry Mancini. Ennio Morricone. Not the genre's fault my friend, and as i said, when they did try outside the genre, they often fail too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MWippel wrote
    ARARAT - Mychael Danna

Wonderful and emotional score with strong ethnic influences, one of the best Danna´s - 7 /10

Absolutely agree, it's wonderful and heartfelt. Overlooked too, sadly.
  2. Demetris wrote
    Philippe Rombi. Georges Delerue, Henry Mancini. Ennio Morricone. Not the genre's fault my friend, and as i said, when they did try outside the genre, they often fail too.

Modern comedy movies. I'll give you Rombi, just about - and he hasn't written for the sort of straightforward Hollywood comedy that Beck, Shapiro, Debney etc. do. But the others are a whole other generation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

Right, but you can't exactly write Ben-Hur for a modern comedy movie, can you. What composer has ever gotten really strong material out of that kind of film?

John Williams, Alan Silvestri, Alexandre Desplat, Walter Murphy, John Debney, Christopher Young, William Ross, A.R. Rahman, etc. They and many others have written some fantastic material for comedy films.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Shapiro is a very nice guy (met him two years ago in LA) and incredibly talented. When he's been "on", he's proven that in the past (WALTER MITTY, PIRATES, TROPIC THUNDER, STARSKY & HUTCH, HEIST). But as I said earlier, he's kind of caught up on certain types of comedies that don't require the type of music exemplified by the names above. It's not his fault, really.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

Modern comedy movies. I'll give you Rombi, just about - and he hasn't written for the sort of straightforward Hollywood comedy that Beck, Shapiro, Debney etc. do. But the others are a whole other generation.

Walter Murphy as Erik said. Have you heard Family Guy / American Dad's scores? Incredible. Also joel mcneely a million ways to die in the west is phenomenally good and he often scores as such. Blake Neely, there are a lot.
    No excuse for laziness.

Thor wrote
    Shapiro is a very nice guy (met him two years ago in LA) and incredibly talented. When he's been "on", he's proven that in the past (WALTER MITTY, PIRATES, TROPIC THUNDER, STARSKY & HUTCH, HEIST). But as I said earlier, he's kind of caught up on certain types of comedies that don't require the type of music exemplified by the names above. It's not his fault, really.

I don't buy that; they just finish it fast, auto-pilotish, no questions asked, getting the paycheck. I don't have anything against that since it pays the bills and gets the more and more assignments, but with very few exceptions, i'd not call them very talented (beck, shapiro, etc)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

John Williams, Alan Silvestri, Alexandre Desplat, Walter Murphy, John Debney, Christopher Young, William Ross, A.R. Rahman, etc. They and many others have written some fantastic material for comedy films.

-Erik-

Very good list, except from Debney whose most comedy scores also mostly suck wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't think it's laziness particularly. It's the hardest genre to write interesting music for. John Williams may have written music for comedies, but extremely rarely since he did Jaws and I'd listen to a thousand Theodore Shapiro scores before any Williams comedy score written pre-1975.
  3. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

Walter Murphy as Erik said. Have you heard Family Guy / American Dad's scores? Incredible. Also joel mcneely a million ways to die in the west is phenomenally good and he often scores as such. Blake Neely, there are a lot.
    No excuse for laziness.

I'll admit that Murphy's score to Ted is a definite cut above the kind of music you'd expect from a film like that. But you can't really throw A Million Ways etc. into the discussion because that's a parody western, not an outright comedy. Erik's mention of Rahman (Couples Retreat, I presume) is a better example.

But a lot of the great comedy scores are ones for which there's a certain "twist" the composer can jump on. Like the Western stuff for McNeely's latest, or the exotic locations in Couples Retreat. The Christmassy stuff in Home Alone, or the parodic action licks in Tropic Thunder for Shapiro (one of his better scores for sure). But in a stock modern romantic comedy like Walk of Shame for Debney recently...well, what else can he do? Especially considering the film's probably full of songs?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

Very good list, except from Debney whose most comedy scores also mostly suck wink

I disagree. They aren't brilliant works of art but they are functional, serve a purpose and are usually just easy listening.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

I disagree. They aren't brilliant works of art but they are functional, serve a purpose and are usually just easy listening.

-Erik-

And how is what you describe any different than Beck, Shapiro?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That one was Christophe Beck. You might be forgiven for mistaking the two though. tongue

Christ, it was. I didn't even realise my mistake! (Clearly.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

And how is what you describe any different than Beck, Shapiro?

I don't think they suck. Far, FAR from it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    But a lot of the great comedy scores are ones for which there's a certain "twist" the composer can jump on. Like the Western stuff for McNeely's latest, or the exotic locations in Couples Retreat. The Christmassy stuff in Home Alone, or the parodic action licks in Tropic Thunder for Shapiro (one of his better scores for sure). But in a stock modern romantic comedy like Walk of Shame for Debney recently...well, what else can he do? Especially considering the film's probably full of songs?

Exactly. It very much depends on what 'twist' the comedy film has (if it's a mix-up with another genre that requires a bit more spicey film music, for example). Shapiro, unfortunately, has not been lucky enough to have that kind of comedy thrown his way recently. That's a fact. It has absolutely nothing to do with laziness or cashing in paychecks or whatever.

What I hate is when people just brush off a particular composer without taking the actual films in consideration, or even worse -- brushing him or her aside while also disregarding the actual good stuff a composer has done.

As (hopefully) rational, reasonable film music critics and lovers, we should rise above that.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    What I hate is when people just brush off a particular composer without taking the actual films in consideration, or even worse -- brushing him or her aside while also disregarding the actual good stuff a composer has done.

As (hopefully) rational, reasonable film music critics and lovers, we should rise above that.

yeah

You listen to the Thunderer. Great truth he speaks.

That being said, I also don't believe in going soft on a score just because "it's what the director/producers demanded". Maybe don't spit vitriol at the composer himself, but a crappy piece of music becomes no less crappy for having been forced to be crappy (hello again, Edge of Tomorrow).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris walks a darker path than many of us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

yeah

You listen to the Thunderer. Great truth he speaks.

That being said, I also don't believe in going soft on a score just because "it's what the director/producers demanded". Maybe don't spit vitriol at the composer himself, but a crappy piece of music becomes no less crappy for having been forced to be crappy (hello again, Edge of Tomorrow).

Of course. I'm not saying one shouldn't have an opinion. But as Steven's video alludes to above, there's a place between "this is the best thing ever. Composer X is the Second Coming!" and "this sucks donkey balls. Composer Y has lost it completely!".

Passion is all well and good, but I prefer it when it's seasoned with a hint of reason. 'ts all I'm sayin'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014
    NP: Saint Sinner - Christopher Lennertz

A gorgeous gothic horror score! One of Lennertz's early successes.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Searching For Bobby Fischer - James Horner

A masterpiece! One of Horner's all time best!

Here's what I wrote about the score back in 2009!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I didn't say they (Shapiro, Beck, etc) suck, but that they are mostly serviceable and do the job, rarely rising above the middle-bar. How does this sound extreme to you? It's bullcrap. You interpret things as you want them to be, forum-level. Re-read what i wrote. This discussion is aimless if you 'repeat' what i wrote in a fashion you want. This reminds me a bit of why i got bored with the forums in the first place.
  5. Huh? I didn't say you said anything extreme. We were just having a discussion about the relative merits of those composers. When did I repeat anything of yours in a fashion I wanted? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014 edited
    I was also talking about this stuff in general, not about you in particular, D. Just to clear that up.

However, if there's any difference between you and I, it's probably down to Cypriotic-Norwegian cultural differences. You seem to be a bit more 'hot' in your evaluations this or that way while I'm more 'cool'. It's a stereotype, but I think it fits.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Elmer Bernstein

No need to be cool about this one - a masterpiece. Listening to the Ava recording, which is nice, but the Varese is probably my favourite.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014
    NP : MALEFICENT - James Newton Howard

My 3rd listen in as many weeks. I really like this one, a returning to form or a one off?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Inception Hans Zimmer

Favourite Zimmer score. Like all great scores, it's impossible to imagine the film with a better score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Inception Hans Zimmer

Favourite Zimmer score. Like all great scores, it's impossible to imagine the film with a better score.

I love this score, easily in my top 5 Zimmer. I've not seen the film.