• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Did you know "Friedhof" means "graveyard"?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Did you know "Friedhof" means "graveyard"?

Yeah. That's why the airplane graveyard scene is so brilliantly scored in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014
    1492 - Vangelis

Wonderful album.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Why anybody would be shocked that I hadn't seen it is silly.

Not at all. A) It's recent, B) it's popular, C) it's good, and 4) I assumed this would have been up your alley, especially since you've expressed on numerous occasions how much you like the score. Hence my shock.

Oh, okay! Point taken. wink

And by the by, D comes after C. (Except before E, or something like that.)

NP: Story of Music (Howard Goodall)

An audiobook. Filling in blanks and making some long needed connections in my mind. And oh my my my -- everything we talk about. Every argument we have. All of this HAS happened before. shocked
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Why anybody would be shocked that I hadn't seen it is silly.

Not at all. A) It's recent, B) it's popular, C) it's good, and 4) I assumed this would have been up your alley, especially since you've expressed on numerous occasions how much you like the score. Hence my shock.

Oh, okay! Point taken. wink

And by the by, D comes after C. (Except before E, or something like that.)

This has never been conclusively proven, Mr. Scientist.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    1492 - Vangelis

Wonderful album.

It is. john Barry was originally attached but I don't know how far his involvement went.

Columbus was a bit of a shit really.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    1492 - Vangelis

Wonderful album.

It is. john Barry was originally attached but I don't know how far his involvement went.

Columbus was a bit of a shit really.

As listed on my website:
    Barry was called and asked if he would score the film, and that was that -- he never heard back.

(http://rejectedfilmscores.150m.com/supp … ected.html)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. I prefer Inception above any other Chris Nolan film I´ve seen, which are the Batman films and Prestige.

While Prestige gets the award for best story and general creepiness, Inception´s basic ideas and concepts alone are worth watching, even if you find the movie confusing and/or chaotic. I find its twists and turns very exciting, and the way it makes you contemplate what you just saw makes it a sure sell in my book. I haven´t seen that many blockbusters with such intelligent concepts, beside the fact that the acting is top-notch. And I firmly believe that even if you like the score, you can´t really appreciate its full merits without having seen the film at least once, although my guess is that the movie will be even more exciting for you if you already know and love the score.
  5. Steven wrote
    This has never been conclusively proven, Mr. Scientist.

My faith remains resolute. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

Wonderful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

Wonderful!

One of my alltime favourite soundtrack albums!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Friggin' awesome, that one is. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014
    Bloody brilliant.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Agree! My goodness, is the second coming coming?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014 edited
    ...indeed it is!

NP : THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST - John Debney

No doubt it is a very good score, I'm enjoying this a lot! I hear the influence of Ralph Vaughan Williams in this so I guess it is a FACT that he got inspired by god. wink

I won't be buying the expanded version. Fact!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Now I'm playing it!

Tron Legacy - Joseph Trapanese with Daft Punk

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014 edited
    Atham wrote
    Now I'm playing it!

Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

cool

Corrected the credited composer for you.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Timmer wrote
    Agree! My goodness, is the second coming coming?

Should be no problem with the aid of such an testosterone driven score. wink
    A great one, Tron Legacy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote
    Atham wrote
    Now I'm playing it!

Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

cool

Corrected the credited composer for you.

-Erik-

Got a bite!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I always thought a fishing icon would be good. The closest we have to it is a sorry-assed-mudderfecking-dinosaur-icon.

kill dino
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Effective enough!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyone heard Arturo Rodríguez's "From Earth To Mars: A Symphonic Journey"?

No I haven't but I am now.

NP : FROM EARTH TO MARS: A SYMPHONIC JOURNEY - Arturo Rodriguez

Not as polished? Sure! That makes it kind of raw and fresh IMO. This is bloody darned excellent! Thank you VERY much for the pointer Alan, I'm seriously enjoying this and I'm going to listen to this again tomorrow. You're spot on with the Alan Hovhaness influence and yes, I do hear Horner in this too.

This stuff normally stays on the OT Now Playing thread but I really believe it deserves more attention here. For those of you here who love good orchestral music I implore you to give it a listen. It's available on Spotify.
  8. NP: Independence Day (1996) - David Arnold

While ths score imho does not exactly reach the the hights of STAR WARS or STAR TREK TMP, this is a very solid 4-5 stars orchestral romp in the best tradition of 70s and 80s space opera film scoring. Yet I do think that STARGATE has more individuality, its style is unmistakable.

Volker
  9. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Independence Day (1996) - David Arnold

While ths score imho does not exactly reach the the hights of STAR WARS or STAR TREK TMP, this is a very solid 4-5 stars orchestral romp in the best tradition of 70s and 80s space opera film scoring. Yet I do think that STARGATE has more individuality, its style is unmistakable.

Volker

It doesn't even come close to Star Wars or Star Trek! But that shouldn't detract from how good Arnold's score is: it's just that Williams and Goldsmith's are SO good!

I don't think that Arnold has really equalled what he did on Independence Day.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Whatever Independence Day is in relation to other scores, objectively, all I know is that there is no other score, symphony, or any piece of music I enjoy more. A few equal it, absolutely, but nothing betters it. It's no exaggeration to say music is my religion, and this is one of those things that gives me a transcendent experience.* I realise this sounds like extreme hyperbole and dangerously hippie-like, but this is precisely the experience I have when I just sit there and do nothing else but listen.

*I'm merely describing experience here, in case this gets confused with making some sort of claim about reality or "metaphysics"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It doesn't come close to Star Wars or Star Trek full stop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Like I said, for me it most certainly does.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Like I said, for me it most certainly does.

FACT!
  10. Steven wrote
    I realise this sounds like extreme hyperbole and dangerously hippie-like, but this is precisely the experience I have when I just sit there and do nothing else but listen.

Sometimes I think that the details of which score it is that does this is irrelevant and that the important thing is that this genre of music we listen to - regardless of what score it is - is able to do this to us. This is what binds us together as a group*.

*Two strong G'n'Ts have kicked in now! "I love you!"
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. Steven wrote
    Whatever Independence Day is in relation to other scores, objectively, all I know is that there is no other score, symphony, or any piece of music I enjoy more. A few equal it, absolutely, but nothing betters it. It's no exaggeration to say music is my religion, and this is one of those things that gives me a transcendent experience.* (...)

*I'm merely describing experience here, in case this gets confused with making some sort of claim about reality or "metaphysics"

Man, and I was just getting ready to take off. biggrin