• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014
    The eternal curse is explaining to civilians that the score from Independence Day is 'transcendental'. You've not experienced real incredulity until you find yourself in this situation.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The eternal curse is explaining to civilians that the score from Independence Day is 'transcendental'. You've not experienced real incredulity until you find yourself in this situation.

Quoted for truth! dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's hard enough explaining it to my fellow tribesman. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're still wrong, though.
    Transcendentally so.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nope. Fuck you. kiss

I'm too high on bliss.
  1. Something that connects the music of Independence Day to that of STAR WARS is that is has a strong Golden Age vibe about it. Where Williams evoked the swashbuckling sound of Korngold Arnold's style seems to remind me of Max Steiner. It has some of that wall-to-wall quality.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Nope. Fuck you. kiss

I'm too high on bliss.

DAMN you, boy. You WILL fall in line!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2014
    Kingdom of Heaven - Harry Gregson-Williams

Pretty good in places.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WAY OUT WEST: THE ESSENTIAL WESTERN FILM MUSIC COLLECTION VOLUME 2 - Loads of em!

Great stuff! No John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Jerry Fielding, John Barry, Lalo Schifrin..... It's a little easier to mention which composers are not represented on this collection.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Pretty good in places.

I didn't have a great opinion of this one originally but I listened to this again a while ago and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Atham wrote
    Now I'm playing it!

Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

cool

Corrected the credited composer for you.

-Erik-

Curious why you say this...the later Trapanese scores certainly remind one of Tron Legacy. Any insider knowledge you can share with us?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2014 edited
    Daft Punk is credited in the film and on the album. I'm not saying that Trapanese didn't help arranged and orchestrate the score but it's Daft Punk's score. FACT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Given what we know about the history of ghost writing, I don't find a credit in and of itself to be particularly convincing. There are MV/RC scores where the actual composer of 90% of the music was not the person credited with the score. And RC was involved in Tron Legacy so...anything is possible IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Quite understandable Scribe. I hear you.
    However, what Erik said is correct.
    Trapanese worked with Daft Punk for a couple of years with orchestration and arrangements. Not composition.
    You can read it from him on his website.
    So credit goes to the Punks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Southall wrote

Pretty good in places.

Will relisten today. I don't remember one bit! Thanks James.
  2. NP: The Last Temptation of Christ (1988) - Peter Gabriel
    Album: PASSION

I bought the DVD a few years ago and while I found the film to be rather interesting Gabriel's score eluded me. When the film aired on TV here in Germany a few days ago the music thrilled me. So it goes sometimes. I got the CD and I enjoy it a lot.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Die Another Day - David Arnold

Jolly spiffing!
  3. RED KROKODIL - Alexander Cimini

This is outstanding. I've been away from this forum for a while. When I came back I went through all of Alan's reviews that I had missed. I found this one of Spotify and after just one listen, I'm sold. This music is just excellent. The first track I hated (it's truly terrifying). Given the subject matter of the film, the whole thing could have sounded like that, but Cimini went the opposite direction and provided a truly gorgeous score. The bonus track at the end from a previous film he had scored is also really good. This is one of the strongest albums I've heard lately, and it was certainly one of the best film scores of 2012. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Alan!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Jolly spiffing!

This one has a rep as Arnold's worst Bond score but I really enjoy it. Madonna's song is beyond shit though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lincoln John Williams

Pure class. Great album. The themes are played a lot throughout, but they never outstay their welcome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ How are the rhythmic based themes in that score?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Jolly spiffing!

This one has a rep as Arnold's worst Bond score

Really?
    Surprising! It's really very good.
    Madonna's song is beyond shit though.

Gospel truth. slant
    I can't believe she got away with that. It's not only the worst Bond song in history, it's a very, very bad song in its own right.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yup! It's not even a good Madonna song. Not that I ever liked much of her output though I do like her album Ray of Light.

As for Die Another Day's score, I remember a lot of people on the forums being disappointed and some reviews that were not so glowing. I think it's a very fine Bond score.

( To be fair a number of posters later revised their opinions to the positive )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Say what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oblivion - M25

I really like this. I know many do not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2014
    I have nothing but horror stories of the M25.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Say what?

Sorry... taking a jab at Thor for some bizarre comment he made about Williams' post Geisha themes. wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I have nothing but horror stories of the M25.

I hear it's oblivion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I think I am biased towards Trapanese being the "real" composer behind these Tron-style scores not because of anything real but just because his name, unlike Daft Punk or M83, sounds like a proper film composer and looks better in my library smile