• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014
    Southall wrote
    The Dark Knight - HZ and JNH

There are parts I like, but not as many parts as in Batman Begins and I don't like them as much. Which I think is opposite to most people.

There's not much I like in all three Batman scores and the bits I do like aren't good enough to make me want to revisit them.

The Dark Knight is easily the best of the trio film wise and I quite like Batman Begins. Batman Rises( to new depths ) was utter rubbish and an insult to the intelligence.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    The Dark Knight - HZ and JNH

There are parts I like, but not as many parts as in Batman Begins and I don't like them as much.

Is today your eleventy-first birthday by any chance?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014 edited
    NP: Field of Lost Shoes - Frederik Wiedmann

Absolutely fantastic. Reminiscent of Glory and complete with modern sensibilities, without being weighed down by the need to RC-ostinato the crap out of itself.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. yeah

NP: Ladyhawke (1985) - Andrew Powell

This arrived from the UK today. I wasn't too impressed on initial listen after Thor introduced me to this score. Yet sometimes my views are subject to change. wink
    This score of course has the sound of the Alan Parsons Project all over it. The combination of rock and symphonic elements also reminds me of the hybrid concept albums by Mike Batt.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    yeah

This arrived from the UK today. I wasn't too impressed on initial listen after Thor introduced me to this score. Yet sometimes my views are subject to change. wink
    This score of course has the sound of the Alan Parsons Project all over it. The combination of rock and symphonic elements also reminds me of the hybrid concept albums by Mike Batt.

Volker

Cool! I hope it was the GNP album.

While I was attracted to the APP elements at first, what eventually made me embrace it with all my heart was actually the full-on, traditional symphonic scoring in the style of Horner or Williams. Like the gorgeous love theme. Or the medieval music. Or the suspense music. Or the non-poppy action music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MUSKETEER (David Arnold)

A good old-fashioned adventure score that you don't see that much of anymore. OK, so the bombasticism gets a BIT tiring eventually, but there's some smokin' material here. Arnold was really on fire during this period.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Dark Knight Rises - Zimmer

Nah.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2014
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    yeah

Volker

While I was attracted to the APP elements at first, what eventually made me embrace it with all my heart was actually the full-on, traditional symphonic scoring in the style of Horner or Williams. Like the gorgeous love theme. Or the medieval music. Or the suspense music. Or the non-poppy action music.

It took me some time to catch up with this score, first through the film which I saw many years after its release and later through the album. yet I'd read loads of negative criticism way before I'd heard or seen the film. I don't understand the hatred it's received from many score fans ( mostly at FSM ), at times it seemed the "hate" was purely to piss you off personally Thor ( I might be wrong...maybe? ) because you championed it so rigorously. I think it's a bloody good score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    I'm looking to trim both Argo and ZD30 on my ipod. Listened to the latter first up - and so many boring cues. The main theme is a beauty ('Seals Take Off' is easily the best track) but I've cut 9 of the 18 cues and don't feel a bit of guilt!
    Onto Argo next.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    It took me some time to catch up with this score, first through the film which I saw many years after its release and later through the album. yet I'd read loads of negative criticism way before I'd heard or seen the film. I don't understand the hatred it's received from many score fans ( mostly at FSM ), at times it seemed the "hate" was purely to piss you off personally Thor ( I might be wrong...maybe? ) because you championed it so rigorously. I think it's a bloody good score!

I think it mostly has to do with the fact that it's an easy target -- employing at times unusual 'pop'-influenced choices in a genre whose convention is traditional neo-romantic music. That doesn't go down well with the more reactionary crowd at FSM. Personally, I think it was a bold choice (like, say, the 80s songs in A KNIGHT'S TALE or the synth music in IN THE NAME OF THE ROSE). Besides, the APP-like tracks were only used in transportation scenes and the odd, tongue-in-cheek action setpiece. The rest is very straightforward "old-school".

Allegedly, director Richard Donner fell in love with APP while their music was played on the car radio while he was scouting the English countryside for locations.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    NP: THE MUSKETEER (David Arnold)

A good old-fashioned adventure score that you don't see that much of anymore. OK, so the bombasticism gets a BIT tiring eventually, but there's some smokin' material here. Arnold was really on fire during this period.

It's interesting to read reviews of this written back in the early 2000s that said "it's OK, but it's just generic Arnold at this point". If this exact score were to come out in 2014 I bet it would make a looot of top 10 lists. Personally, I don't care when or in what context it came out - it's a fantastically fun score. "Coach Chase", man... punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I think it mostly has to do with the fact that it's an easy target -- employing at times unusual 'pop'-influenced choices in a genre whose convention is traditional neo-romantic music.

Pop elements have been used in this genre as far back as 1980 with the silly but fun Hawk The Slayer cheesy
  3. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    yeah

Volker

It was. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A piece from Philip Glass......I mean HANS ZIMMER new score for INTERSTELLER....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpz8lpoLvrA
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2014 edited
    This is the trailer music. Not sure if it is also the music of the score? Perhaps so. It uses an organ (or 17 organs ... because well, it's Zimmer). I thought it was very cool. No Jean Michel Jarre though then. smile

EDIT: Someone in the YouTube comments says it IS from the movie... Which is what you also said. Ha! shame
    Kazoo
  4. NP: Stargate (1994) - David Arnold
    The Deluxe edition VS

This is one of my favourite scores by Arnold. Very melodic and atmospheric.
    I bought this one second hand in addition to the Milan album I already had after discussing these editions with Steven some days ago. The additional music is nice but not quitassential. They say that the VS edition sounds better than the older Milan one but I can't hear any difference.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    A piece from Philip Glass......I mean HANS ZIMMER new score for INTERSTELLER....

STELLER!
    STELLER!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

STELLER!
    STELLER!

Very Bristolian wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2014
    NP: THE BOOK THIEF (John Williams)

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice score, but it kinda breezes by without me taking much notice of anything.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I need to give that one another listen, since I remember being bored (!) by both Tintin and Lincoln when they first came out. I'm less hopeful with this one though, I'd rather just listen to its older sister, Angela's Ashes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    I need to give that one another listen, since I remember being bored (!) by both Tintin and Lincoln when they first came out. I'm less hopeful with this one though, I'd rather just listen to its older sister, Angela's Ashes.

ANGELA'S ASHES is in a whole other league, but I'm starting to re-appreciate all of Williams post-GEISHA scores for what they are. More restrained, less "overt", but still with some spectacular writing that you don't see ANYONE do these days.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BACHELOR FLAT (John Williams)

This is fun!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: The Lamb of God - Kurt Bestor

Never heard of the composer nor the film but Bestor's religious score is short and excellent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2014
    Contact Alan Silvestri

One of Silvestri's shining achievements. His use of electronics in his more recent scores leaves much to be desired, but here he nails it. Brilliant film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STANLEY & IRIS (John Williams)

Perfect hangover music after two days of heavy drinking.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dawn of the Apes Michael Giacchino

The official album is a bore, but this really is very enjoyable when cut down to 30 minutes (and a bit of in-track editing too). One of my most listened-to albums of 2014 to what is now my favourite film of 2014.
  6. ^ Da-Da Dum. Dum. Da-Dum!

I cannot get that out of my head. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Giacchino has an uncanny gift for coming up with these catchy little motifs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2014 edited
    NP: STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC (a myriad of different composers)

I think this is a videogame? In either case, it's quite good. Far better than Kevin Kiner's CLONE WARS stuff. The Williams template keeps all of the different composers together, I guess. But of course, the album didn't have to be two friggin' hours long!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I think in later seasons Kiner did some really fine stuff. I wouldn't mind the release of a decent selection. I seem to remember he released music himself on his website. I'll have to check that.

Edit: He did.