• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2014 edited
    Six tracks in an I'm bored of The Maze Runner.

NP: The Hot Spot - Jack Nitzsche

I found this album cheap many years ago. I think I just bought it because the $1.99 price tag put my Screen Archives over a certain dollar amount so I could get free shipping... or something like that. cheesy Anyway, I've never played it. Jesus H. Holy Shit why did I wait until now to spin this? There is only one emoticon to describe this score... cool

Loving this!

EDIT - Check out the list of performers on the score.

Miles Davis - Trumpet
    Tim Drummond - Bass
    Bradford Ellis - Keyboards
    John Lee Hooker - Guitar, Vocals
    Taj Mahal - Guitar, Guitar (Acoustic), Vocals
    Earl Palmer - Drums
    Roy Rogers - Slide Guitar

shocked

This one is going to be getting many, many spins in this household from now on! BRILLIANT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2014
    NUNO MALO - No God No Master http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … ter/Detail

Gorgeously romantic and melancholic at places, lyrical. One of the best scores of the year.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: The Hot Spot - Jack Nitzsche

I found this album cheap many years ago. I think I just bought it because the $1.99 price tag put my Screen Archives over a certain dollar amount so I could get free shipping... or something like that. cheesy Anyway, I've never played it. Jesus H. Holy Shit why did I only wait until now to spin this? There is only one emoticon to discribe this score... cool

Loving this!

EDIT - Check out the list of performers on the score.

Miles Davis - Trumpet
    Tim Drummond - Bass
    Bradford Ellis - Keyboards
    John Lee Hooker - Guitar, Vocals
    Taj Mahal - Guitar, Guitar (Acoustic), Vocals
    Earl Palmer - Drums
    Roy Rogers - Slide Guitar

shocked

This one is going to be getting many, many spins in this household from now on! BRILLIANT!

-Erik-

Like I said Erik, when you look him up it's obvious he had the clout to get such elite performers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    NUNO MALO - No God No Master http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … ter/Detail

Gorgeously romantic and melancholic at places, lyrical. One of the best scores of the year.

I really rate this composer D. A big talent indeed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Very good of course.
  1. Erik Woods wrote

If I'm reading this correctly and you've given up, then you missed some pretty solid Goldsmithian action music in the second half of the score. And are we just automatically hating on every score that uses an ostinato now? Because good luck with that, in this day and age.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2014
    No certainly not, but this score doesn't have anything really worthy in it. It's not just because of the 'ostinato' which is practically everywhere since 2010, we are long used to this by now smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The "ostinato" used all prevailingly in modern scoring is an inspiration black hole and a way of disguising a lack of talent.

Most convenient.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or putting it there to sattisfy directors and execs to sound 'modern' so you can keep getting paychecks, sometimes evil starts from above, higher pressures.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Or putting it there to sattisfy directors and execs to sound 'modern' so you can keep getting paychecks, sometimes evil starts from above, higher pressures.

Yeah I know. Patrick Doyle being "forced" to dilute his natural talent being one example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Patrick Doyle doesn't have any natural talent in this kind of modern film scores, and this is why his new scores come out so bland. Doyle has talent in the earlier body of his work, evidently, which has some very, very good stuff in it. Not everyone can do all but everyone must keep surviving.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2014 edited
    NP: Destiny - Michael Salvatori, C. Paul Johnson, Martin O'Donnell & Paul McCartney

There's almost 140 minutes worth of music in this release and I will be surprised if it keeps my attention for that long. It does sound grand and orchestral so hopefully...

[Edit] "Cabal Stomp" doesn't half start off reminding me of something...is it Tyler Bates' Titus or Goldenthal's 300? I'm not quite sure.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2014
    Paul McCartney? The Paul McCartney??
  2. Timmer wrote

Yes, the Paul McCartney! There was a bit of a furore about it at the time of the announcement (which I missed) where I think he was a pains to point out he received no fee for his involvement but, rather, wanted to be involved to see what the process of game scoring was all about.

The score starts off reasonably well but soon descends into sub-par game scoring IMO.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Patrick Doyle doesn't have any natural talent in this kind of modern film scores, and this is why his new scores come out so bland. Doyle has talent in the earlier body of his work, evidently, which has some very, very good stuff in it. Not everyone can do all but everyone must keep surviving.

Sadly so it seems and it's foisted on everybody, like it or not. At least from big budget Hollywood blockbusters anyway and that is where the money is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes, the Paul McCartney! There was a bit of a furore about it at the time of the announcement (which I missed) where I think he was a pains to point out he received no fee for his involvement but, rather, wanted to be involved to see what the process of game scoring was all about.

The score starts off reasonably well but soon descends into sub-par game scoring IMO.

Somehow this information passed me by. I won't go out of my way to seek this out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Paul McCartney scoring a game sounds very unappealing to me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

His genius is long gone, nothing more than a name now.
  3. I've no idea how much he contributed to the score as a whole but with three other composers his influence may have been diluted somewhat.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

His genius is long gone, nothing more than a name now.

At least Ringo Starr has been consistent I suppose.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2014 edited
    NP: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Brian Tyler

This score is still kicking ass and taking names! One of Tyler's very best scores! Maybe his best.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    At least Ringo Starr has been consistent I suppose.

applause
  5. Ringo Starr is underrated. Many drummers have said so and that is more than politeness. I believe picking at Starr is more of a running gag than something that has any foundation in reality.

Concerning McCartney: I own his Standing Stone album. I was never impressed with it and I cannot remember when I last played it.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Brian Tyler

This score is still kicking ass and taking names! One of Tyler's very best scores! Maybe his best.

-Erik-

I think it's his best. Iron Man 3 has the better theme perhaps, but overall this is so much more enjoyable than anything he's ever done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I think there are some very good parts - very, very good in fact. And some dross. From what I can gather, McCartney wrote a song for the finale of the game (which is not on the album) and the melody appears within the score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Ringo Starr is underrated. Many drummers have said so and that is more than politeness. I believe picking at Starr is more of a running gag than something that has any foundation in reality.

Volker

Very true. I think it was started by John Lennon when he was asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world and replied 'the best drummer in the world? he's not even the best drummer in The Beatles'.

Paul McCartney was actually the drummer on a number of Beatles recordings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, sadly it's become so ingrained it is taken as truth, even by a number of my musician friends (who I would assume to know better!)
    All I need to do though is point to the fills in A Day In The Life to easily convince them Ringo was/is a fine drummer indeed!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. In gerneral the music of the Beatles was not so much about instrumental virtuosity. Neither Lennon nor McCartney have become famous for their guitar play, or have they?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Harrison did, though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn