• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. So, you saw the film and didn't like the score there, Tim? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    So, you saw the film and didn't like the score there, Tim? smile

Nope! Not seen it. I enjoy it despite not seeing the film and despite Hans Zimmer's best attempts to make me hate it. wink

I would like to see the film at some point but I have to say I am put off by a lot of the verbal pretentious garbage spouted by both Christopher Nolan and Hans Zimmer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    So, you saw the film and didn't like the score there, Tim? smile

Nope! Not seen it. I enjoy it despite not seeing the film and despite Hans Zimmer's best attempts to make me hate it. wink

I would like to see the film at some point but I have to say I am put off by a lot of the verbal pretentious garbage spouted by both Christopher Nolan and Hans Zimmer

You just have to ignore all of that and let it live its own life.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well said.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I know I did! I just read the Jon Burlingame piece (FANTASTIC) and that tells me enough smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Where is the Jon Burlingame piece?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks Jim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Civilization: Beyond Earth - Griffin Cohen, Michael Curran, Grant Kirkhope and Geoff Knorr

The best video game score of 2014, IMO. It's also one of THE best scores of the year. Hats off to the composing team of Griffin Cohen, Michael Curran, Grant Kirkhope and Geoff Knorr. An almost 3 hour album that flies by in no time. Solo cello, electronics, choir and a massive symphony orchestra combine to create one of the most emotional musical experiences of the year! Brilliant stuff!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Civilization: Beyond Earth - Griffin Cohen, Michael Curran, Grant Kirkhope and Geoff Knorr

The best video game score of 2014, IMO. It's also one of THE best scores of the year. Hats off to the composing team of Griffin Cohen, Michael Curran, Grant Kirkhope and Geoff Knorr. An almost 3 hour album that flies by in no time. Solo cello, electronics, choir and a massive symphony orchestra combine to create one of the most emotional musical experiences of the year! Brilliant stuff!

-Erik-

I've listened to about a third of this and really like it. Am looking forward to hearing the rest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ It might just be my favourite score of the year! "The Future of Mankind" has me in tears!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's really nice...but it probably needs some context. Doesn't currently really hit me as anything that special.
    Perhaps if I'd heard the whole soundtrack? But 3 hours...whew...
    That sounds like a chore. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, it's only about 9 Euros.
    I'll splurge.

It's either this or the life-size Darth Vader, eh? wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    It's really nice...but it probably needs some context. Doesn't currently really hit me as anything that special.

Not a chore at all... especially when it's this good. The album flew by and all I wanted to do was hit the repeat button. In saying that, skip the ambient cues (which are actually labeled)

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

yeah

Loads of great cues in the score (I like both the orchestral and the ambient stuff), but it needs some SERIOUS downsizing and re-organization to work as a listening experience. I've been having the album in my 'purgatory' state for a while (in a folder, but not imported to iTunes), as I've been meaning to make a decent playlist out of it, at the very least.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SOLARIS/STALKER/THE MIRROR (Eduard Artemiev)

Three Tarkovsky scores as re-interpreted by Artemiev back in 2002 or thereabouts. Great stuff -- some cool electronic textures here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    There really is no bad cue on the album. Even the ambient cue are tolerable. It's going to be hard for me to pick just 15-20 minutes to play on my best of 2014 show.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    There really is no bad cue on the album. Even the ambient cue are tolerable. It's going to be hard for me to pick just 15-20 minutes to play on my best of 2014 show.

-Erik-

Oh, there are plenty of cues that I can weed out (whose general ambiance is basically represented by other cues). I aim to boil this down to some 50-60 minutes once I get the time. It will not be a proper soundtrack album (as I'm no record producer), but it will at the very least be a decent playlist.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    It will not be a proper soundtrack album (as I'm no record producer)

Oh, the humanity!

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    It will not be a proper soundtrack album (as I'm no record producer)

Oh, the humanity!

-Erik-

DON'T EVEN. face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It would have been great, wouldn't it, if a record producer's job description was "putting together my favourite tracks in a playlist for other people to enjoy. The End.". You'd like that. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I aim to boil this down to some 50-60 minutes once I get the time.

Same here.
    As nice as it may be (and I haven't listened yet so I can't say one way or another), anything, ANYTHING taking three hours to get through will wear out its welcome with one play with me. I simply won't revisit these things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014 edited
    Agreed. I usually say that if any single work is to hold my attention for more than 80 minutes, it better damn well be one piece of varied, multilayered, perfectly organized, dynamic geniality. Very few works succeed here. Some Wagner. Maybe some STAR WARS. LOTR. But not this. And not for bloody 180 minutes!

It's a shame that Kirkhope, Curran, Cohen and Knorr never got together to create an album. The music deserves it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I would be interested in a shorter playlist (I haven't heard it, but I certainly don't plan on listening to 180 minutes of it).

Guardians Of The Galaxy Tyler Bates

This really isn't a bad score. Nice theme too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2014
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Subtle.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Subtlety is overrated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Subtle.

I thought it was pretty accurate!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Accuracy is overrated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven