• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2014
    Ah, Thor. They don't get you.

Live long and prosper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I am an extremely serious person. And also -- according to the JWFAN board -- a tragic figure. That made my day. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're a hipster within a world of obscurity. Nobody understands you.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014
    The Green Dragon - Danna brothers

Wears out its welcome a little by the halfway mark as most of the score is pitched at a fairly unvarying level of lushness. The main theme is hauntingly beautiful however.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Beyond the Gates - Dario Marianelli

Can't handle much more of this, it's an absolute snoozefest. One of the dullest scores I've heard in ages.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Exodus: Gods and Kings - Iglesias et al

Quite good.
  1. NP: Quest For A Heart - Tuomas Kantelinen

Nice to get back to some orchestral scoring with Kantelinen's score for this animated film after listening to Cristobal Tapia de Veer's weirdness in Utopia (Season 2).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Quest For A Heart - Tuomas Kantelinen

Nice to get back to some orchestral scoring with Kantelinen's score for this animated film after listening to Cristobal Tapia de Veer's weirdness in Utopia (Season 2).

True, but damn that UTOPIA score is totally captivating! But I also understand that you need something very different and more "traditional" after listening to the two discs. I've also started watching the series. Very good stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. There are some interesting ideas in Utopia 2, especially the use of voices. But, these bits are lost amongst everything else.

I did watch the opening episode when it aired but did not like it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote
    Beyond the Gates - Dario Marianelli

Can't handle much more of this, it's an absolute snoozefest. One of the dullest scores I've heard in ages.

aka SHOOTING DOGS. I really enjoy this score. The very last track 'We Turned Our Backs' is heartbreakingly beautiful and is in my top 10 individual tracks of the 00's
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014 edited
    NP: The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

FACT! (Just getting this out of the way first)

One of THE greatest film scores of all time. They don't write them like this anymore.

(I've been letting iTunes choose random albums from my library and I actually let out a little pleasurable "Oooh!" when the French horn fanfare announced that this was up next. shame )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

FACT!

One of THE greatest film scores of all time. They don't write them like this anymore.

Word!

As you are aware Alan, this score had to wait some years before Varese finally released it ( after the crushing disappointment that Southern Cross Records announced it a few years beforehand that never came to pass, it was to have had deluxe packaging ), I first experienced the score with the film on its release and it was one of those extremely rare occasions where as soon as the first notes of the score blasted out I knew I had to have it.

Some people just don't know how fucking lucky they are in this day and age of every last bloody second getting released, often weeks before the film is even out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Great score. In my Goldsmith Top 10.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Oh, OK then

NP: The Final Conflict (1981) - Jerry Goldsimth

Fantastic!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Timmer wrote
    As you are aware Alan, this score had to wait some years before Varese finally released it (after the crushing disappointment that Southern Cross Records announced it a few years beforehand that never came to pass, it was to have had deluxe packaging ), I first experienced the score with the film on its release and it was one of those extremely rare occasions where as soon as the first notes of the score blasted out I knew I had to have it.

Some people just don't know how fucking lucky they are in this day and age of every last bloody second getting released, often weeks before the film is even out.

It is definitely changed days.

I remember seeing this film when it came out at the pictures too. I remember I went to see it with my then girlfriend - that didn't last long - and the screen went blank about 10 minutes into the film and we had to wait for it to be fixed.

I don't remember having this album at the time of the film's release but finding a copy of the LP (on Varese's Master Film Music label) which was great. But (sorry Thor) the expanded deluxe version is a huge step up from the original release IMO. I'm just listening to the final 9-minute track and the addition of the first few minutes makes the track as a whole even better.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    Oh, OK then

NP: The Final Conflict (1981) - Jerry Goldsimth

Fantastic!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I don't remember having this album at the time of the film's release but finding a copy of the LP (on Varese's Master Film Music label) which was great. But (sorry Thor) the expanded deluxe version is a huge step up from the original release IMO. I'm just listening to the final 9-minute track and the addition of the first few minutes makes the track as a whole even better.

I actually like the Deluxe version too. That's the only one I have, in fact. The 'extra' bits don't detract that much from the listening experience, and the sound quality is stunning.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. iTunes is being my friend at the moment:

NP: Goldfinger - John Barry

Excellent!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    iTunes is being my friend at the moment:

NP: Goldfinger - John Barry

Excellent!

My goodness but there is nothing but the mightiest of excellence being thrown your way so far. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    As you are aware Alan, this score had to wait some years before Varese finally released it (after the crushing disappointment that Southern Cross Records announced it a few years beforehand that never came to pass, it was to have had deluxe packaging ), I first experienced the score with the film on its release and it was one of those extremely rare occasions where as soon as the first notes of the score blasted out I knew I had to have it.

It is definitely changed days.

I remember seeing this film when it came out at the pictures too. I remember I went to see it with my then girlfriend - that didn't last long - and the screen went blank about 10 minutes into the film and we had to wait for it to be fixed.

I just looked it up. It took 5 YEARS for this brilliant score to get a release. The film was released in 1981 and the album was finally released in 1986. After all that time I was still disappointed due to the lousy sound, the deluxe version is indeed a HUGE step up in sound quality.
  7. Goldfinger:
    I have to say that apart from the song I never found the score that interesting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Goldfinger:
    I have to say that apart from the song I never found the score that interesting.

shocked kill explode
  8. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Goldfinger:

shocked kill explode

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2014 … p_Calm.jpg
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KEEP CALM??? I@LL BOOT OBI-WANK-HISKNOBBY INTO THE NEXT FUCKING LIFE!!!!! crazy

okay, zen out boy, zen out....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Goldfinger:

shocked

Anyway, the only iTunes-happy-moment I had today was a very small one: the theme to the TV series McCloud was thrown out right after Lalo Schifrin's theme to Coogan's Bluff.
    On my iPod of roughly 180000 songs I thought that was rather a nice coincidence*).

*) The TV series McCloud was based on the the the Eastwood vehicle of two years earlier.
    Well, I SAID it was just a small moment

NP: Interstellar - Hans Zimmer
    I like organ. I like organ a lot.
    That helps.
    With some tweaking (i.e. getting rid of the completely generic moody oodling) I can get a pretty decent 30-35 minute album from this, even if it absolutely SCREAMS Glass at the top of the roughly 74 cathedral organs and 933 pianos Zimmer apparently employed (because you have to realise this is the most important work ever composed since the very beginning of the cosmos, not only paying tribute to the allencompassing merciful genius of Nolan, whose name only Bono is worthy to whisper in awe, but also esotherically enumerating the miracle of children within the everlasting spiritual cycle of timespace-love within (AND without) the father-son relationship, where the son becomes the father and the father is Luke's, captured in a journey to the subliminal two-note theme that is repeated not even a single time in hommage to the paradox of being Zimmer).

Anyway.
    I do not need an extended version of this.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Interstellar is brilliant from start to finish. I don't hear much Glass, though but a lot of great Zimmer.

NP: Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in Goldfinger (1964) - John Barry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Interstellar is brilliant from start to finish.

I completely agree!
    Except for the moody oodling bits.
    And if you define 'brilliant' as 'a pleasant listen'.

I don't hear much Glass, though but a lot of great Zimmer.

It's so Glassy it actually breaks!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

NP: Interstellar - Hans Zimmer
    I like organ. I like organ a lot.
    That helps.
    With some tweaking (i.e. getting rid of the completely generic moody oodling) I can get a pretty decent 30-35 minute album from this, even if it absolutely SCREAMS Glass at the top of the roughly 74 cathedral organs and 933 pianos Zimmer apparently employed (because you have to realise this is the most important work ever composed since the very beginning of the cosmos, not only paying tribute to the allencompassing merciful genius of Nolan, whose name only Bono is worthy to whisper in awe, but also esotherically enumerating the miracle of children within the everlasting spiritual cycle of timespace-love within (AND without) the father-son relationship, where the son becomes the father and the father is Luke's, captured in a journey to the subliminal two-note theme that is repeated not even a single time in hommage to the paradox of being Zimmer).

Anyway.
    I do not need an extended version of this.

Once you forget the utter twaddle Nolan and Zimmer spouted this is a very enjoyable score. Like you I don't need any extras ( I really DON'T like this way of Zimmer keeping the "best" tracks of the score back making his rabid fans salivate until it's released on iTunes or whatever. Release it and have done you self important berk ! ) and will be quite happy without the space-folding time dilating dark matter 5th dimension beyond the event horizon version.

INTERSTELLAR may well turn out to be my favourite score this year.
  10. Interstellar is as similar to Koyaaniseomething as to any other score that ever featured a church organ. IMO.

And Goldfinger is lounge-ly. jazzy, o-so-cool ... boring. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

INTERSTELLAR may well turn out to be my favourite score this year.

Well, listening now -based on Erik's statements- to Civilisation: Beyond Earth, and blimmin' 'eck! shocked This is REALLY good! Interestingly I put it on right after Interstellar (which really I didn't hate), and while it goes slightly insane in trying to out-epic itself several times, it actually pushes a HELL of a lot more emotional buttons with me than Hans' infinity's six dimensions of nowhere.

Interstellar certainly is an interesting score (organ! punk ), and it may even make my 2014 top ten.
    But nowhere near the top.