• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014 edited
    The KOYANISQUATSI similarity is fairly obvious, I think, but that's not a negative thing in my book. A similar sentiment channeled through Zimmer's unique gimmicks!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    And Goldfinger is lounge-ly. jazzy, o-so-cool ... boring. sleep

Yeah, total snoozefest.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    And Goldfinger is lounge-ly. jazzy, o-so-cool ... boring. sleep

Yeah, total snoozefest.

cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Goldfinger is jazzy, o-so-cool cool

Totally agree with you biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    I just looked it up. It took 5 YEARS for this brilliant score to get a release. The film was released in 1981 and the album was finally released in 1986.

shocked

Where do all the years go? Maybe it's all related to some sort of black hole induced warping of tim..GOODNESS, DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO BE ABOUT INTERSTELLAR!!!?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I wonder how Zimmer fans would feel having to wait 5 YEARS to get their hands on music they'd only heard in a film to that point? Back in the "good old days" we had to suffer it in silence as if we were in the vacuum of space.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Exodus - Gods & Kings - Alberto Iglesias

Sounds like the movie was largely temped with Kingdom of Heaven and Prince of Egypt. And then to have Harry Gregson-Williams rescore, and write one of his best action cues.... It's all good though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    The KOYANISQUATSI similarity is fairly obvious, I think, but that's not a negative thing in my book. A similar sentiment channeled through Zimmer's unique gimmicks!

That's a fair assessment. Channelling is right, I don't hear any straight rips in Zimmer's score.
  2. lp wrote

Sounds like the movie was largely temped with Kingdom of Heaven and Prince of Egypt. And then to have Harry Gregson-Williams rescore, and write one of his best action cues.... It's all good though.

I actually found HGW's material quite lackluster. In fact Iglesias' solo pieces are the best.

Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

That's a fair assessment. Channelling is right, I don't hear any straight rips in Zimmer's score.

This is what I find when Hans is at his best. He KNOWS his influences, but makes them his own, filters them through his own impeccable style. He has influences throughout the years that have been internalized by him (people point out Suspiria quite a bit from Hannibal on, the organ action motif has been compared... Mozart's Lacrimosa informed a lot of his early orchestral dramatism and later villain themes, and so on).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lp wrote

I actually found HGW's material quite lackluster. In fact Iglesias' solo pieces are the best.

And to be fair, Iglesias's material is quite good. I like it very much. The cello-based cues are really nice, i.e. "The Commandments" with its mix of Cello and Choir, is sublime. And then you hear something like "The Chariots" which is bombastically unlike what I've expected. However, Harry's material just affirm the idea that he could have done this score just as well.
  3. lp wrote

So it doesn't carry over any of the original themes by Ernest Gold?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    lp wrote

dizzy
  4. NP: Hollywood 95

From back when Varese used to do these annual albums. The "Batman Forever" suite and "Apollo 13" are highlights among others. The RSNO conducted by McNeely.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    lp wrote

Eh? uhm

Are you serious or is this a bad attempt at a joke? spin
  5. Yes, a joke. And not a bad one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I see.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Civilization: Beyond Earth - Griffin Cohen, Michael Curran, Grant Kirkhope and Geoff Knorr

The best video game score of 2014, IMO. It's also one of THE best scores of the year. Hats off to the composing team of Griffin Cohen, Michael Curran, Grant Kirkhope and Geoff Knorr. An almost 3 hour album that flies by in no time. Solo cello, electronics, choir and a massive symphony orchestra combine to create one of the most emotional musical experiences of the year! Brilliant stuff!

-Erik-

the cues "Acclimation (Geoff Knorr)" and "A New Beginning (Geoff Knorr)" are some of the best cues I've heard this year, that theme is AMAZING shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. I just found the sign off button.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Koyaanisqatsi - Philip Glass

To quote Montgomery Burns: "You know, I'm no art critic, but I know what I hate. And I don't hate this."
    I may be mellowing towards certain aspects of some compositions from certain composers sometimes.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

To quote Montgomery Burns: "You know, I'm no art critic, but I know what I hate. And I don't hate this."
    I may be mellowing towards certain aspects of some compositions from certain composers sometimes.

You should try his work ITAIPU

The third section in particular is mindblowing. ( play LOUD )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'll think about it.

(Is it a soundtrack?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I'll think about it.

(Is it a soundtrack?)

Nope! It's much better than that.

It's on Spotify. Robert Shaw ( the un-Quint version ) with the Atlanta symphony and chorus, it's the best version but poorly recorded compared to Essa Pekka Salonen's version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

My image of you has been shattered!

Exodus: Gods & Kings Enrique Iglesias

Excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2014
    Steven wrote
    Exodus: Gods & Kings Enrique Iglesias

Excellent!

This has definitely struck a chord with me. Strong contender for my top 10 of this year.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Julio is Enrique?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Que?
  8. "Explorers" (Goldsmith)

For suite purposes.

I've noticed two cues have times that don't reflect what's on the art.

Track 30 on the art shows 5:21; the cue runs 7:12.

Track 31 on the art 8:03 but the tracks runs 8:11.

Other times must be off, too because the total time is 70:00 and then 7:09 in two bonus cues, making it 77:28, but Soundtrackcollector shows the time as 74:12. even with the correct times for those two tracks, it still falls just a little short of 77:28.

Great sound, wonderful score (though I hate the Wak's Boogie material), and brigns back fond memories of 1980's fantasy/adventures scores and kids movies like this which were more grown-up and the kids weren't annoying self-absored dickwads (even when cliched).

And then of course there's that fantastic Space Movie cue by Courage. It's a shame he appears to have never done anything else along those lines in his career.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2014 edited
    NP: Civilization: Beyond Earth (Geoff Knorr, Michael Curran, Griffin Cohen, Grant Kirkhope)*

Holy Geoff Knorr. I haven't heard the whole thing but hell, tracks 14 and 15 ("Acclimation" and "Promethean") are some of the best music I've heard all year, as Erik said. When he praises something highly, I've never found it to be anything less than stupendous.

*actually from memory. smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Once you forget the utter twaddle Nolan and Zimmer spouted this is a very enjoyable score. Like you I don't need any extras ( I really DON'T like this way of Zimmer keeping the "best" tracks of the score back making his rabid fans salivate until it's released on iTunes or whatever. Release it and have done you self important berk ! ) and will be quite happy without the space-folding time dilating dark matter 5th dimension beyond the event horizon version.

Where did they spout? I should like to read it!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2014 edited
    Memoirs of a Geisha John Williams

As much as I enjoy Zimmer's reinvention of music, of life, itself, one can have a little too much Zimmer at times. The same cannot be said of John Williams.