• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2014
    No. Not while I'm now playing Interstellar - Hans Zimmer

This is a great album that rewards more with each listen.
    In fact I like the score more than the overrated film it belongs to.
    Don't get me wrong, there are some awesome moments in the movie that wowed me.
    But it's just too uneven for me to fully embrace as some kind of paradigm shifting masterpiece.
  1. The film, and I say it as a huge Christopher Nolan, is definitely flawed and Hans told the film's message better than Nolan did. I do, however, applaud the ambitious attempt Nolan made. He's just not (yet?) a metaphysical filmmaker to pull something like this off. It was a new thing for him, that's for sure.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans told the film's message better than Nolan did.

Having listened to the score, I don't really find a narrative (pleasant as it is).
    How do you figure Zimmer presented a better message?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    Hey, let's take it to the Zimmer thread!

As an admin I have to say that I'm sure that that is where these lists belongs. It's not about brains and consciousness so I think it's better suited in the science and/or religion thread.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think we should change all threads to Zimmer threads.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Presented the message better.

Well, Hans' score is more metaphysical in sound (not just through the organ, through expression and quite a few other elements). The thing with making a metaphysical film is that you HAVE to retain an air of mystery (the mystery of being, if you want). You can't explain everything. Now comparing two movies Nolan did.

Inception is a very rare case where constant exposition works as a dramatic device. If you listen to filmmakers discussing the issue, exposition that is, you may regard it as a certain oxymoron. Actors and directors HATE dealing with expository scenes, because they just explain the plot and aren't really dramatically and/or visually interesting and in some cases directors claim there aren't many actors you can't trust with exposition (Jonathan Frakes on First Contact: If you want exposition, give it to Patrick Stewart, he'll make it convincing. Or James Cromwell).

Inception, however. pushes it further. The film builds tension by constantly reminding us which level of dream are we on, what are the time dilation rules (oh, so Arthur has 2 minutes to get us out of there, that gives us an hour, oh shit) and so on. It really works to add tension, because we are reminded what the threats are.

In Interstellar, the exposition doesn't work that well, because if we have a certain metaphysical problem that the film deals with (not to spoil it, the film is about transcendence, though not in religious terms), you need the air of mystery or rather you need something where you can put your experience in (it's easy to say and agree with what the film says, I will NOT spoil though even at the expense of the argument, not everyone has seen it yet and they intend to). Because metaphysical cinema is, I believe, a combination of the filmmaker's observation of a certain (sometimes oneiric!) reality aimed at a dialogue with the viewer's own experience and views. Where Nolan didn't fail is making a work that makes the viewer think, not about the resolution or science, but rather what the film was really about. And also, it's a spoiler-less statement, it's perhaps the first film where Nolan is NOT a cynicist.

Zimmer's score is a downtempo piece of massive (not in terms of scale, though the scale is big) mysterioso. You could just dumb it down to being simply a 70 minutes+ album of mysterioso acoustic ambient. To me though acoustic ambient is not a negative notion, because film music related to dark ambient might have shown it as melody-less. Ambient music, however is just atmospheric and very slow, but CAN feature sometimes even beautiful melodies (Brian Eno!!) and Zimmer pulls that off perfectly. It has its air of gloomy moments, but generally it's not inherently a very dark score, I believe.

This mysterioso element, usage of religious instrumentation (the organ comes to play here) and sometimes harmonic ambiguity (one theme interplays between major and minor key, once ending the melody in minor, once in major key), specific use of rhythm, even if directly related to the scientific element (sometimes the, acoustic! percussive elements, like strings played col legno, hit exactly in 60 beats per minute, that means every hit means a second of time has passed), a very precise sense of expression (listen to the tremolo in Wormhole!) doesn't maybe signal at a higher power (God is by NO MEANS involved in the story, Hans himself is a proclaimed atheist, to the point of even sharing antitheist sentiments on his personal timeline, so I do NOT agree with a reviewer who says that the music represents, or rather is, God in the film. He is simply NOT involved whatsoever in the story!), gives that element that the film is missing: if you are listening really intently to the score, in my experience with this music, you are allowed to put your personal experience and emotions and be at dialogue with the music. It goes way beyond telling me what to feel.

It's not as metaphysical as The Thin Red Line, where the abstract element prevails much more, but it's close enough and it's a piece of metaphysical musical writing to me smile .
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Also nominated was the UK production An Adventure in Space and Time which apparently is about how Doctor Who came to be. Did anyone watch this show?
    Volker

I did and loved it, especially since I had been watching some Classic DW episodes from season 1 at that time. I don´t know how authentic it is, but it certainly feels to be very much so. It´s generally entertaining, but there are certain moments which lift it into the "great stuff" category, and the finale is simply heart-breaking. If you like Doctor Who, it´s a must-see.
  3. Alexandre Desplat - The Tree of Life

And this is Desplat in metaphysical form. One of his best albums for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Also nominated was the UK production An Adventure in Space and Time which apparently is about how Doctor Who came to be. Did anyone watch this show?
    Volker

I did and loved it, especially since I had been watching some Classic DW episodes from season 1 at that time. I don´t know how authentic it is, but it certainly feels to be very much so. It´s generally entertaining, but there are certain moments which lift it into the "great stuff" category, and the finale is simply heart-breaking. If you like Doctor Who, it´s a must-see.

Agreed. It was really good. (Even if the music didn't do much for me).
  4. Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Volker

Agreed. It was really good. (Even if the music didn't do much for me).

The Emmy nomination referred to the series not to the score.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LORD OF THE FALLEN (Knut Avenstroup Haugen/Dynamedion)

New videogame score by my friend Knut. The Dynamedion tracks are generic and boring, but Knut's tracks are fantastic! Very "Erik Woods".
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Volker

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme - and the touch at the end was quite good to see. But, as with Martijn, the music (composed by Edmund Butt rather than Murray Gold) didn't really stand out.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Thor wrote
    NP: LORD OF THE FALLEN (Knut Avenstroup Haugen/Dynamedion)

New videogame score by my friend Knut. The Dynamedion tracks are generic and boring, but Knut's tracks are fantastic! Very "Erik Woods".

This is a very good game score and is definitely in my Top 10 scores for this genre (even with the Dynamedion tracks.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. NP: Nova Zembla - Chrisnanne Wiegel, Melcher Meirmans & Merlijn Snitker

Enjoyable orchestral score for this historical drama from 2011. Some beautiful vocals from soprano Claron McFadden.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Wars Symphony I: The Phantom Menace John Williams

Williams wrote this in 1999, slightly inspired by a crappy sci-fi film that came out in the same year. It's fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love THE PHANTOM MENACE (the film)!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Yeah, me too, but lets leave it at that. :yawn:
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But...but...but I have an opinion!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I love THE PHANTOM MENACE (the film)!

We know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Star Wars Symphony I: The Phantom Menace John Williams

Williams wrote this in 1999, slightly inspired by a crappy sci-fi film that came out in the same year. It's fantastic!

Technically, The Phantom Menace is Star Wars Symphony IV.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah. Good point!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pacific Rim Ramin Djawadi

My favourite 'RC' score. So enjoyable.
    • CommentAuthorMWippel
    NP: ISABEL - Federico Jusid

Brilliant music!!
  9. Steven wrote
    Pacific Rim Ramin Djawadi

My favourite 'RC' score. So enjoyable.

Wow, I can think of probably several dozen I like more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2014
    Thor will make you list them if you're not careful!
  10. I won't bore everyone with a list but if he challenges me to one, I would have no problems presenting it. wink
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The Wind and the Lion - Jerry Goldsmith

I think this is one of the best scores ever written... as presented on the original soundtrack album. I can't get into the expansion at all, which has too many percussion-only cues and moments of dullness. Fortunately, we're able to choose, which is awesome.
  11. NP: STAR WARS Episode II Attack of the Clones (2002) - John Williams

Underrated. IMHO. An e-guitar to illustrate the Coruscant underground. How cool is that? love

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: STAR WARS Episode II Attack of the Clones (2002) - John Williams

Underrated. IMHO. An e-guitar to illustrate the Coruscant underground. How cool is that? love

Volker
    ]

Very - I love that cue. Do I remember correctly that the guitar was removed from the cue in the film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It was cool to hear old Williams dish out the el guitar. It's like that brief techno outburst in A.I. I still cling to the notion that John had something to do with that, and that it wasn't only his son Joseph.
    I am extremely serious.