• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014 edited
    He did have a few cues that weren't ambient. However, I understand the "purpose" of the ambient cues and the role those cues play within the game. I will NOT negatively criticize this score as a whole because the ambient cues aren't full throttle epic adventure cues like some of the very best ones Knorr or Kirkhope composed.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014
    I agree with Erik on that point (the ambient cues are crucial), and I do like the score as a whole. I just wish it was presented more succinctly. The album has been resting in my 'limbo' folder for many months now, awaiting a time when I can at the very least make a decent 50-60 minute playlist out of the two hours worth of tracks.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. The ambient cues are OK for what they are (i.e. tolerable), but I wouldn't go so far as to call them "crucial". Yes, some low-key stuff in between all the big melodic cues is necessary, but low-key can still be more interesting than what Griffin Cohen wrote I think. Also, that one cue of his that isn't labeled "ambient" is still pretty darn ambient wink . This is all speaking on album terms; obviously if the game demanded purely ambient music with no melody or structure, that's fine.

I'd also venture to say that Michael Curran's stuff, though enjoyable, doesn't really bring that much to the table. His music is pretty similar to Geoff Knorr's in tone, but not quite as good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Monkey King - Christopher Young

Eight thousand releases of King Solomon's Mines and zero releases of this. Hope someone rectifies that soon because it's absolutely bloody brilliant.
  2. ^ WANT crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    The Monkey King - Christopher Young

Eight thousand releases of King Solomon's Mines and zero releases of this. Hope someone rectifies that soon because it's absolutely bloody brilliant.

On my Top 5 of 2014 list.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  3. NP: Lady Oscar - Michel Legrand

This is beautiful! Never heard of it before but came across a digital release of this score that has only been available as part of an 11 CD set released by Universal Music France last year.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Cold In July - Jeff Grace

I am liking the similarities this score has with the sound of John Carpenter in his heyday.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Mine too.

Not mine, I'm afraid -- simply not a sound I am drawn to very much these days. But as a teen and young adult, I would have been all over this. I still am -- to a certain extent -- and can admire the writing, but it's not one that will get lot of plays.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP: Penny Dreadful - Abel Korzeniowski

I've seen the trailer for this show..... brrrrr, not for me. But the music is wonderful as always.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Casanova - Alexandre Desplat

Even before everyone went ga-ga over Desplat he was already doing great stuff.
    This score features gorgeous faux-baroque music (and the echoes of Delerue are pronounced. Which, to be very clear, is a GOOD thing!).

I have tried to watch the film, which looked gorgeous, but was poorly set up, cast and paced and simply was unable to hold my interest. The score however is very much worth it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP: The Fountain - Clint Mansell

First listen. Maykel watched the movie the other week so I noticed the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ The movie was dreadful but that score is excellent!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2014 edited
    Yes, he said the movie was........ too weird.

I love the score!! I have Death Is The Road To Awe on repeat now.
  5. NP: The Spy Who Loved Me: Atlantis Revealed - Yannick "GoldenZen" Zenhäusern

A bit of an unusual one this. It seems to be a rescoring of the original 1977 film in the style of a John Barry Bond score, that in its more exciting moments uses snippets of the James Bond theme and the melody of the accompanying song.
  6. NP: The Essential Elmer Berstein Collection (Silva, 2005)

All the talk about Exodus: Orcs, Elves and Pharao promted me to revisit the Ten Commandmends Suite and now I end up listening to all of this fine album.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Howard Shore

Maybe it's just because I'm depressed about real life but on this second listen to the new album I can really identify with those of you are disappointed by and wanted more from these scores.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote

Maybe it's just because I'm depressed about real life but on this second listen to the new album I can really identify with those of you are disappointed by and wanted more from these scores.

Well, there's always the good ol' LOTR scores to get you out that funk of yours!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Also, John Powell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: 30 COULEUR (Klaus Badelt)

For a score and film that looks so wild from the cover, this is surprisingly subdued and lyrical. Wish Badelt did more of this kind of stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Scribe wrote

I'm not sure that whatever mood it is I'm currently in really affects how much I like or dislike music. For me I think it's pretty consistent - I could be high on life and still dislike The Social Network, and feeling suicidal wouldn't make me love How to Train Your Dragon any less (if anything it would prove there's stuff worth living for!). I'm perpetually baffled by people who do enormous 180-degree turns on scores. With the exception of some James Horner stuff I heard and didn't like when I was like 15, I can't really say that's ever happened to me.

What is it about this one that isn't satisfying you as much as the other two, Scribe? (I haven't heard it yet)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm perpetually baffled by people who do enormous 180-degree turns on scores.

It's called a lack of imagination.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    PSGM - JB

So beautiful.

It is! cool

You ACRONYM using shister
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I just said I can identify with the detractors, not that I hate it... wink

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    What is it about this one that isn't satisfying you as much as the other two, Scribe? (I haven't heard it yet)

Well, there's just as much, if not more, of Shore's random dark meandering (orcy-mousing?) as the previous scores, but no particular attractive big theme is emerging to tie it all together like the Misty Mountain theme or the Tauriel theme. I am not saying there are no new themes, I'm sure there are, I'm just not hearing anything that sticks yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

It's called a lack of imagination.

I would think it would be the other way around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed! It applies to both ways. (But which way was I talking about?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    crazy wink

I was just thinking that an inability to reconsider one's opinion and come to a different conclusion is generally associated with fundamentalism (in any area of life) and thus a lack of imagination.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Precisely!