• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. All I mean to say is that, in my personal experience, first impressions tend to stick. Not that I'd flat out refuse to reconsider something - that's stupid. And there have been scores that have either warmed or cooled on me slightly, perhaps a star's worth at most, and that over years and years. But I find it not uncommon among film score forums to see huge variances in opinion between even the first and second listen. And that hasn't ever happened to me really, and I can't imagine it happening (there's that lack of imagination again).
  2. I certainly can have differing views on a score between listens.

I do admit that I can go into a new score with expectations of what I am about to hear (based on the composer's previous work, the project that they have written for and even an expectation based upon the comments of others). I find that, if my expectations are not met then I tend to be disappointed. I then have to judge the music on its own merits once my expectations have been set aside.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2014
    As a bipolar individual I find that both my mood and health (as separate factors) can have a drastic impact on my enjoyment of my music, making my favorite scores occasionally seem dull or irritating, and making relatively mundane generic music seem like the second coming of John Williams Christ.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. After relistening to the Hobbit scores I must say that I like this third one best. In all honesty it was the second one that got me a bit bored. I'll try to compile an overall playlist this weekend.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Captain Future wrote
    After relistening to the Hobbit scores I must say that I like this third one best. In all honesty it was the second one that got me a bit bored. I'll try to compile an overall playlist this weekend.

Volker

Interesting. I feel the 1st and 3rd pale in comparison to the 2nd. The introduction and heavy development of both the Tauriel and Smaug themes are IMO the only thing this trilogy has to even dimly compare to the original trilogy.

I did notice that the melody from Last Goodbye makes an appearance on bagpipes in Ironfoot and I'm curious whether this might not be another situation where the song melody is used as a main theme in the score but cut out of the special edition album for whatever same reason this happened in the 1st score? Has anybody heard the standard edition and can comment on whether any music is missing from the special like what happened in the 1st score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2014 edited
    Scribe wrote
    As a bipolar individual I find that both my mood and health (as separate factors) can have a drastic impact on my enjoyment of my music, making my favorite scores occasionally seem dull or irritating, and making relatively mundane generic music seem like the second coming of John Williams Christ.

I'm not bipolar, but I can very much relate to what you're saying. Mood has a definite impact on what music I choose to play and how it affects said listening.

In the mornings (as a B person who loves nights and hates mornings), I usually have to have calm music, perhaps even just silence if my tinnitus can handle it. When I'm gearing up for a party, there's very little film music that does the trick. I usually have to go for psytrance or various forms of rock.

But also if I'm feeling down for some reason, nothing is better than listening to sad music. Danny Elfman once said that "I'm never happier than when I can write sad music". I think there's something to that. Happy music when you're sad is just annoying.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Well, the Hobbit scores are surely nothing to listen to in a row. I would not even do that with the Ring scores. Most of Shore's Middlearth scores is best not listened to when in a bad mood for it will not cheer you up.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, the Hobbit scores are surely nothing to listen to in a row. I would not even do that with the Ring scores. Most of Shore's Middlearth scores is best not listened to when in a bad mood for it will not cheer you up.

Volker

Perhaps not the bombastic Mordor and orc music, but I think the 'elf' music for Rivendell etc. has a very therapeutic aspect to it.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, the Hobbit scores are surely nothing to listen to in a row. I would not even do that with the Ring scores. Most of Shore's Middlearth scores is best not listened to when in a bad mood for it will not cheer you up.

Volker

Perhaps not the bombastic Mordor and orc music, but I think the 'elf' music for Rivendell etc. has a very therapeutic aspect to it.

And even moreso the Hobbit/Shire stuff, I find. "Journey to the Grey Havens" from Return of the King is one of the most quietly uplifting cues I know. Like you were saying earlier about Elfman...it's sad, but it makes me happy. Might be my favorite cue from that entire universe, as a matter of fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2014 edited
    Scribe wrote
    I did notice that the melody from Last Goodbye makes an appearance on bagpipes in Ironfoot and I'm curious whether this might not be another situation where the song melody is used as a main theme in the score

Just a coincidence.

but cut out of the special edition album for whatever same reason this happened in the 1st score?

I don't know what you mean - the 'Misty Mountains' theme by Plan 9 is all over both albums of the 1st score.

Has anybody heard the standard edition and can comment on whether any music is missing from the special like what happened in the 1st score?

Everything that is on the standard edition is on the special edition in this case.
  6. Jim Ware wrote
    I don't know what you mean - the 'Misty Mountains' theme by Plan 9 is all over both albums of the 1st score.

If by "all over" you mean "three times in two hours" (and with the special edition missing its brawniest statement).
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    It appears more than three times.
  7. Okay, five times counting the songs - which I wasn't. The other three are "The World is Ahead", "Roast Mutton" and "Over Hill". If there are any more I missed them (which I doubt).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

If by "all over" you mean "three times in two hours" (and with the special edition missing its brawniest statement).

Yes, the special edition just happens to be missing what is literally the most entertaining moment in the entire score, one that beats out even most of the original trilogy scores if only for sheer power-anthemy spectacle (not saying it's actually better than anything in the original trilogy, just perhaps more in-your-face attractive in a Zimmery sort of way).

And yeah, "all over" seems a bit of an exaggeration, after seeing the film where the use of the theme is almost excessive, I was shocked how seldom it appeared on the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: INTERSTELLAR (Hans Zimmer)

This features in my recent Top 10 list episode of Celluloid Tunes, which is no secret since it's featured in the headline photo too. It has just become better and better.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GRAND THEFT AUTO V (Tangerine Dream)

cool
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

cool

If ever the term 'background score' applies, it's here. I can't imagine why anyone would want to listen to this outside the game? Very peculiar.
  8. NP: Troy (2004) - James Horner

I bought headphones today. SONY MDR-10RC, priced down from €150 to 100. Sounds nice.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

cool

If ever the term 'background score' applies, it's here. I can't imagine why anyone would want to listen to this outside the game? Very peculiar.

Some of the tracks are indeed rather 'stale' in development, but then suddenly you have something like "No Happy Endings" which reminds me why TD is one of the best things ever.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE ESSENTIAL DISNEY COLLECTION (various)

Various cover versions of the famous songs. Some are hit, some are miss.

HEY, don't diss me. I love this stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    NP: INTERSTELLAR (Hans Zimmer)

This features in my recent Top 10 list episode of Celluloid Tunes, which is no secret since it's featured in the headline photo too. It has just become better and better.

In a strangely ironic reversal, while you are enjoying it, I am struggling with it because it constantly hits the exact frequencies which cause an extremely uncomfortable feeling of resonant ringing in my ears. I like the music so much that I've been trying harder to figure out what is behind this problem, to no avail. It's not tinnitus by the normal definition but it definitely prevents me from fully enjoying some music. Usually its only a problem with loud high pitched female or children's choirs, but Zimmer's organs and synths are right in that same range.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2014
    The Monkey King - Christopher Young

Just the 30 minutes released on Youtube, alas but it's amazing enough for me to long for a CD release. The finale cue is on constant repeat, just spectacular.
  9. On the Waterfront Leonard Bernstein
    Predator 2 Alan Silvestri

Both were in the mail today. I ordered "Pred 2" too, dispite I did not want to. Changed my mind on impulse. No regrets. "Waterfront" is one of those miracle releases. Just great!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NOW PLAYING: MIRACLE ON 34TH ST/BROUGHTON AND MOCKRIDGE

I'm listening to the new 2CD release from La-La Land which combines both scores through my new speakers. A most satisfying experience.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Conquest 1453 Benjamin Wallfisch

Quite synthy, very silly. But a lot of fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Josh B wrote

Just the 30 minutes released on Youtube, alas but it's amazing enough for me to long for a CD release. The finale cue is on constant repeat, just spectacular.

I was kind of bored until the last 2 tracks and then I was not bored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    THE MONKEY KING is a type of score I would have been all over in my teens and early twenties, but which I now find a bit cumbersome to get through. Too much full-on bombasticism (even though it obviously has some calm moments). And perhaps a little bit too traditional. But I recognize the skill in the compositions, and I do like it -- in smaller doses.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    Too much full-on bombasticism (even though it obviously has some calm moments).

rolleyes

Some? I'd say that there is a very fine balance between the full throttled action cues and the calm, etherial, meditative type cues. Did you even listen to the whole thing or just skim through it? I mean, between tracks 4 and 9 there isn't an action cue in sight. That's 15 minutes for you to take a rather big breath before the 17 minute "Niu Mo Wang, the Buffalo Demon King." This score has more sweeping themes and reflective, calmer moments than full-on bombasticism. <-- Is that even a word?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall

Can't get enough of it, myself. I can't believe how many new scores there have been in 2014 that I've loved. This is right up there.
  10. Thor wrote
    And perhaps a little bit too traditional.

crazy crazy